Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Mercury Oil Tank Assembly Failure [Re: 361V] #14469749 09/06/22 08:19 PM
B
Bryanmc57 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Originally Posted by 361V
There’s an o-ring gasket on top of the cap and I was careful(I thought) not to over tighten the cap. “FINGER TIGHT”. Now I need a new one.

You can temporarily use a 3/8 in adjustable bait well plug made by MOELLER.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Mercury Oil Tank Assembly Failure [Re: Bryanmc57] #14469832 09/06/22 09:55 PM
361V Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Bryanmc57
There’s an o-ring gasket on top of the cap and I was careful(I thought) not to over tighten the cap. “FINGER TIGHT”. Now I need a new one.

Interesting. It appears the threads are bad in the tank(of course!) and not on the cap. Cap threads & o-ring appear perfect. Today I leveled the motor and filled the tank completely full(still see a small air bubble on top but thinking that’s not a problem) and put the cap back on w/Teflon plumbers tape on threads. Hoping that’s going to hold. Plan on fishing Thurs or Friday and then I’ll be able to see if it leaks. I’ll give it a try if my “fix” didn’t work. Thanks for the info! Neil

Re: Mercury Oil Tank Assembly Failure [Re: Bryanmc57] #14469836 09/06/22 09:58 PM
M
McLovin’ Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M

THIS little trick has saved me before…and lasted few months until my new tank came in

Re: Mercury Oil Tank Assembly Failure [Re: Fishinfellow] #14470031 09/07/22 01:14 AM
M
Mike2718 Offline
Angler
Angler
M
Originally Posted by Fishinfellow
Originally Posted by ranger3474
Sorry but what is 5200?

Pretty sure they're referring to this:
[Linked Image]

Yes, that is what I was talking about using on the tank to fix a leak BUT DON’T use that on the cap. 5200 is permanent and you would not get the cap off without destroying it.

Have a Blessed Day,
Mike
Re: Mercury Oil Tank Assembly Failure [Re: McLovin’] #14470124 09/07/22 09:27 AM
361V Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by McLovin’

THIS little trick has saved me before…and lasted few months until my new tank came in

This is great news as a backup to my “repair” if it didn’t work but one more question: the threaded cap screws inside(or into) the threaded neck of the oil reservoir. How does the Moeller 3/8 adjustable bait well plug completely seal and not leak because of the inside threads of filler? Thank You, Neil. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Mercury Oil Tank Assembly Failure [Re: 361V] #14470154 09/07/22 11:37 AM
B
Bryanmc57 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B

This is great news as a backup to my “repair” if it didn’t work but one more question: the threaded cap screws inside(or into) the threaded neck of the oil reservoir. How does the Moeller 3/8 adjustable bait well plug completely seal and not leak because of the inside threads of filler? Thank You, Neil.

Along with fitting tight against the top of the tank, the rubber conforms to the threads and seals.

Re: Mercury Oil Tank Assembly Failure [Re: Mike2718] #14470171 09/07/22 12:19 PM
S
Stump jumper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by Mike2718
You will NEED TO HAVE a Computer Diagnostic System (Oil Pump Prime Sequence) performed. It is VERY VERY VERY important to have done so there is ZERO air in the line. Good way to blow a power head. A shop has to perform that function. They will actually put it on a computer when they perform the procedure. It only takes about 5 minutes but getting them to do it while you wait can be an issue. There is, however, an “in-field” “diy gear shifter” method but is not recommended. This method basically puts your motor back in to “break in” mode for 2 hours which double oils the system. This can also lead to fouled plugs. There is also a concern for the compressor using this method. I know it’s a PITA but having a shop do it could save you thousands in the long run.

Interesting, never heard of this. The sender went out in my tank and I jumped it until I can replace. I was going to post on the aftermarket versus Merc tanks until I saw this thread. After reading the whole thread I never saw an answer to the ?. Looks like I will be taking it to a shop which I was planning to do anyway because I need some diagnostic work on my warning horn.

2200 Bay Champ/200 Mercury Optimax
2017 Tundra TSS 4x4 Crewmax 5.7L
Re: Mercury Oil Tank Assembly Failure [Re: Fishinfellow] #14470514 09/07/22 06:13 PM
M
McLovin’ Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
Take a paper clip and cut it off and push it in the connector for the warning horn wire….no more horn

Re: Mercury Oil Tank Assembly Failure [Re: McLovin’] #14470722 09/07/22 09:32 PM
S
Stump jumper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by McLovin’
Take a paper clip and cut it off and push it in the connector for the warning horn wire….no more horn

A fuse works too

2200 Bay Champ/200 Mercury Optimax
2017 Tundra TSS 4x4 Crewmax 5.7L
Re: Mercury Oil Tank Assembly Failure [Re: Fishinfellow] #14472730 09/09/22 06:14 PM
Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life) Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Fishinfellow
When y’all say your oil reservoir “went out” what do you mean? I actually need one now for my 250 Pro XS because I got complacent and let my big bilge oil reservoir run out and when the onboard oil reservoir dropped to about 3/4 full I got a warning buzzer. After filling the remote tank I had to “purge” the air from the tank so I could so I could get the warning bell to stop. With motor running and cowling off I opened the cap on top of the reservoir until the tank filled. When.tightening the cap it would not seal and small leak occurred at cap. There’s an o-ring gasket on top of the cap and I was careful(I thought) not to over tighten the cap. “FINGER TIGHT”. Now I need a new one. I was told by Charlie’s Outboard Alvarado and Fun & Sun Cleburne they have been on back order all through Covid and could be indefinitely(years?) for OEM. Mike2718: are you saying this “Oil Pump Prime Sequence” would need to be done in my case where the tank was never run dry or emptied? That’s what happened to mine. Other then me over tightening the cap what “problems” are y’all having causing a plastic oil tank to “FAIL”? Thanks, Neil.

In my case, oil is spewing out of the tank and coming seeping out of the cowling. Based on the information I've heard here, I might just try to epoxy the spot where the leak is.

The tank is leaking? Or its coming from where you screw the cap on?

If its the cap use some thread sealer tape on the cap and then tighten in back.

Re: Mercury Oil Tank Assembly Failure [Re: Fishinfellow] #14474956 09/12/22 02:09 AM
N
Newly Retired Offline
Angler
Angler
N
Good info. I need help with a different issue. I have already replaced the little tank a few months ago.
The alarm went off today and I discovered the tank was about an inch low. I removed the cap cranked the engine and it did not fill. I filled the tank by hand and placed cap back on and it ran fine with no alarm...HOWEVER, I checked the tank and it is down a little.

Re: Mercury Oil Tank Assembly Failure [Re: Newly Retired] #14475017 09/12/22 02:40 AM
M
Mike2718 Offline
Angler
Angler
M
Originally Posted by Newly Retired
Good info. I need help with a different issue. I have already replaced the little tank a few months ago.
The alarm went off today and I discovered the tank was about an inch low. I removed the cap cranked the engine and it did not fill. I filled the tank by hand and placed cap back on and it ran fine with no alarm...HOWEVER, I checked the tank and it is down a little.

How long did you run the motor? It usually will fill up fairly quickly but it can sometimes take a while if there is any air in the line in the tank located in the battery compartment. The engine mounted tank will drop some if you do not bleed 100% of the air out. That’s why it’s best to tilt your motor AND turn the steering wheel until the “air pocket” is directly below the cap. Once you crank the motor and oil starts coming out the hole, then you can replace the cap & there should be no air in the tank. Hopefully you didn’t get any air In the line when you changed the tank. Just a small amount of air means no oil will be mixing with gas for a period which in turn means no lubrication in the cylinder. This is one reason powerheads will blow. This is why it is recommended for a shop to perform an Oil Pump Prime Sequence while it’s hooked up to their computer. That forces oil through the lines so there are no air pockets.

Have a Blessed Day,
Mike
Re: Mercury Oil Tank Assembly Failure [Re: Fishinfellow] #14475047 09/12/22 02:57 AM
N
Newly Retired Offline
Angler
Angler
N
Thanks Mike, I will take it in. Do you think since my engine mounted tank level dropped I have an “air “ problem or maybe a pump issue.

Re: Mercury Oil Tank Assembly Failure [Re: Newly Retired] #14475284 09/12/22 01:19 PM
B
Bryanmc57 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Thanks Mike, I will take it in. Do you think since my engine mounted tank level dropped I have an “air “ problem or maybe a pump issue.

Couple things you can check. Make sure the remote (boat) tank is not filled over 75% and the cap is on tight. You need air space in the tank so it can build pressure and force oil to the reserve (engine) tank. You can spray soapy water around the connections to on the remote tank with the engine running to see if there's an air leak anywhere.

Re: Mercury Oil Tank Assembly Failure [Re: Newly Retired] #14476193 09/13/22 01:25 PM
M
Mike2718 Offline
Angler
Angler
M

I don’t think you have a pump issue since your engine tank level is dropping even though it shouldn’t drop at all. Since it’s dropping you can the pump is actually working. The only time the engine tank should go down is if the remote tank is empty or you get air in the line from the remote tank.

Definitely do what Bryanmc57 suggests. It’s a very good suggestion which should help you isolate where any air may be coming from. Also check your engine tank just in case it may have an issue.

Another thing that can cause air in the line is when the level gets really low in the remote tank. If your in rough water when it’s low, the oil will slosh around a lot and the pickup tube may catch air pockets multiple times which will allow air to get in the line. Once that air pocket hits your engine tank, that tank will go done some. Like I mentioned previously, if you do NOT get the engine mounted tank 100% bled, the level will drop some too.

Those engine mounted caps are notorious for stripping the tank if you over tighten them. I took a dremel and etched a small mark on the cap and the tank. I always tighten the cap until the marks line up so I always know it’s just right.

Have a Blessed Day,
Mike
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide