Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: MLF BFL Sooo BAD [Re: BassKarma] #14462049 08/29/22 11:25 AM
U
Used2fish Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
U
BFLs have never been advertised or designed as a money maker but a stepping stone. Lots of things I’d do if I was in charge starting with increased entry fee, slightly increased payout and make the all American payout better. It’s been 100k since it’s inception. So back in the day you won, you could buy a truck and a boat. Today……….

Either way I’m not in charge and neither is anyone here. Fish it or don’t.

Last edited by Used2fish; 08/29/22 11:25 AM.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: MLF BFL Sooo BAD [Re: BassKarma] #14462160 08/29/22 02:00 PM
B
beartrap Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
fished Redman/BFL tournys for about 18 years....qualified for 13 regionals and two all-americans...also fished a lot of team trails in my area and usually broke even with expenses even made money the year i finished 2nd in All-American......not only did i enjoy the competition but it gave me a lot of pleasure,made a lot of friends plus satisfaction from getting some national exposure through their magazine for winning/placing in their tournaments...

Re: MLF BFL Sooo BAD [Re: BassKarma] #14462379 08/29/22 05:39 PM
B
Bryan O' Offline
Angler
Angler
B
I really think the bigger item that people are missing is that he was able to finish 2nd overall and only have one top 10. Tells me not many are fishing the whole trail, that the winners aren't repeating (or evidently even entering), and that it's not taking much to qualify for the regional. I think their tournaments are filling up, so somebody is fishing them.

As said earlier - it's a hobby. Nobody makes money with hotrods, softball, hunting, weekend golf.... Just a hobby .

Bryan O'
Total Recreation Products Inc.
Commercial Park and Playground Products and Services
totalrecreation.net
Ranger Z521c 250ProXS V8
Re: MLF BFL Sooo BAD [Re: BassKarma] #14462779 08/30/22 02:59 AM
C
cephusjoe Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
C
1. AOY points never equal money. I’ve had a few seasons where I cashed 2 good checks to pay for my year of fishing but bombed a couple tournaments. On the plus, I fished for free that year. But overall, obviously I didn’t do as good as some others… hurts the ego but money talks.

2. The BFLs are horrible for payouts as you stated. They are a stepping stone to some bigger stuff but I feel the stars have to align to get there. In Texas, there are better avenues to win money with all the great trails available.

I think some guys over think the bfls, as if they are stepping up a level. In my opinion, bass champs, Texas team trail, or tto are far more tougher competition if you are trying to prove yourself as an angler.

Last edited by cephusjoe; 08/30/22 04:44 AM.

Mcurtain county okie
Re: MLF BFL Sooo BAD [Re: BassKarma] #14462877 08/30/22 11:54 AM
J
J.H.S. Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Tournament trails take advantage of the major ego's that fisherman have. You pay them a small fortune, go into debt, for the possibility to win your money back and a flex on social media. I would be willing to bet 99.9% of all tournament fisherman are in the red yearly when you add boat, truck, and all other expenses.

Live Daringly, Boldy, and Fearlessly....Embrace the Challenge So That You May Feel the Exhiliration of Victory.

Re: MLF BFL Sooo BAD [Re: J.H.S.] #14462933 08/30/22 12:43 PM
HARD WORKN HAROLD Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by J.H.S.
Tournament trails take advantage of the major ego's that fisherman have. You pay them a small fortune, go into debt, for the possibility to win your money back and a flex on social media. I would be willing to bet 99.9% of all tournament fisherman are in the red yearly when you add boat, truck, and all other expenses.

THIS!!!! hammer

DON'T LET THE CLOTHES FOOL YA
Life is too short to fish with a dead cricket!
PB: wife of 40 years
Re: MLF BFL Sooo BAD [Re: BassKarma] #14462936 08/30/22 12:45 PM
GeoFisher Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
They all know the rules and payouts before the season starts.

Everything on your bass boat is broken......You just don't know it yet.
Re: MLF BFL Sooo BAD [Re: J.H.S.] #14462954 08/30/22 01:01 PM
B
beartrap Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B

tournament fishing unless you are really good is an expense just like hunting,biking,golfing etc..........it's fun and satisfies the competive trait most of us have....in the early years of Redman,the All-American was second most prestigious tournament out there and it gave the weekend fisherman the opportunity to compete against some of the best fishermen in the country and gain some national recognition...the first all -american i fished against Brent chapman,andy morgan,kevin wirth and Peter thieveros....I make no claims about being a better fisherman than those guys....but...for two days and one tournament i was....and that is a memory I'll always cherish.....

Re: MLF BFL Sooo BAD [Re: beartrap] #14463049 08/30/22 02:23 PM
J
J.H.S. Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by beartrap

tournament fishing unless you are really good is an expense just like hunting,biking,golfing etc..........it's fun and satisfies the competive trait most of us have....in the early years of Redman,the All-American was second most prestigious tournament out there and it gave the weekend fisherman the opportunity to compete against some of the best fishermen in the country and gain some national recognition...the first all -american i fished against Brent chapman,andy morgan,kevin wirth and Peter thieveros....I make no claims about being a better fisherman than those guys....but...for two days and one tournament i was....and that is a memory I'll always cherish.....

Who gives a rats arse about "national recognition"? That is my ego argument. It feeds the average weekend nobody's ego by making them think they can be a pro by paying all this money knowing good and well there is literally zero shot of it ever going anywhere. Pro fishing is mostly composed of independently wealthy guys with big time connections. Contentment by just enjoying the sport doesn't exist anymore. I'd venture to say 3/4 of the guys trying to "chase the dream" will be chasing credit card debt for a good chunk of the future.

Live Daringly, Boldy, and Fearlessly....Embrace the Challenge So That You May Feel the Exhiliration of Victory.

Re: MLF BFL Sooo BAD [Re: J.H.S.] #14463079 08/30/22 02:53 PM
U
Used2fish Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
U

Who gives a rats arse. “what other people do“? That is my ego argument. It feeds the average weekend nobody's ego by making them think they can be a pro by paying all this money knowing good and well there is literally zero shot of it ever going anywhere. Pro fishing is mostly composed of independently wealthy guys with big time connections. Contentment by just enjoying the sport doesn't exist anymore. I'd venture to say 3/4 of the guys trying to "chase the dream" will be chasing credit card debt for a good chunk of the future.

Fify

Last edited by Used2fish; 08/30/22 02:53 PM.
Re: MLF BFL Sooo BAD [Re: Used2fish] #14463086 08/30/22 02:59 PM
J
J.H.S. Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by Used2fish

Who gives a rats arse. “what other people do“? That is my ego argument. It feeds the average weekend nobody's ego by making them think they can be a pro by paying all this money knowing good and well there is literally zero shot of it ever going anywhere. Pro fishing is mostly composed of independently wealthy guys with big time connections. Contentment by just enjoying the sport doesn't exist anymore. I'd venture to say 3/4 of the guys trying to "chase the dream" will be chasing credit card debt for a good chunk of the future.

Fify

I didn't need you to fix anything for me. This is a forum full of opinions. If you want to express yours then type your own thing out. Idk if you're trying to go for a mic drop moment or something but it didn't work. I 'll assume you fall into the category of whom I was referring to.

Re: MLF BFL Sooo BAD [Re: BassKarma] #14463482 08/30/22 09:38 PM
U
Used2fish Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
U
I hope you don’t gamble.

I’m a working father of two that fishes a few times a year and doesn’t have an active social media account. But I don’t presume to know what others do or why they do it. I leave that up to people that have more spare time.

It’s a forum and I can do as I wish and if fixing your dumb irritates you. Hold on butter cup.

Last edited by Used2fish; 08/30/22 09:38 PM.
Re: MLF BFL Sooo BAD [Re: Used2fish] #14463511 08/30/22 10:13 PM
O
ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50) Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
O
Originally Posted by Used2fish
I hope you don’t gamble.

I’m a working father of two that fishes a few times a year and doesn’t have an active social media account. But I don’t presume to know what others do or why they do it. I leave that up to people that have more spare time.

It’s a forum and I can do as I wish and if fixing your dumb irritates you. Hold on butter cup.

thumb I play the game and I'm not wealthy, as you get older you learn how to utilize your resourses. I tow my rig with a truck that is paid for and the boat cost less than half what a new fully rigged tournament boat would cost. I've accumulated a lot of tackle in 40 years so I'm good there. Entry fees, food, a hotel room and fuel and I'm good and not beyond sleeping in my truck. I've seen guys that have gone at it this way excel, they are usually the one's that rise to the top.

2012 ZX200 Skeeter
2012 Yamaha 200 SHO

Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
Proud student of the Pro Staffer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzwF72B2F2w&t=14s
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide