Page 22 of 27 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 26 27
Re: Cheaters on Eagle Mountain [Re: dkmore] #14432661 07/28/22 02:38 PM
R
Razorback Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
R
A lifetime ban from fishing in tournaments is appropriate. They can still fish, just not in tournaments. That's not taking away anyone's civil rights, it is merely protecting other contestants from known cheaters.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Cheaters on Eagle Mountain [Re: prosise] #14432664 07/28/22 02:42 PM
R
Rescue Fire Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
I have done my fair share of pot stirring in this thread. I have also read and thoughtfully considered each and every single reply as well. This post right here may be the best of the bunch. In my mind, a very well written and thought out response and suggestion

Originally Posted by prosise
If two were fishing the day before to collect fish, and only one was fishing the tournament. There looks to be some degree of story that might be interesting to hear. The old saying possession is 9/10's of the law. I would hope the boys man up, talk to the tournament directors and see if there is anything they could do to make it right. I think it would be much more of a growing and taking it like a man to try and make things right. Whatever it would be, it would definitely help the boys and possibly turn this around eventually to be something other than it is currently. It's going to be hard on them, but I genuinely think them performing some kind of endless community service and helping out all the parties affected might make this right. Heck, I would even say that I would want them to personally apologize to everyone who was in the tourney and take what words of wisdom, or words of "choice" they had to listen to. I am not up on the possible charges that could be on the table, but if it gets into the territory of a felony it could ruin a possible job in the future. It takes a big step to actually look someone in the eye and say "I am sorry".. Those who you protect, you make weak. I would really expect the boys to try and stand up, kick denial out of the way and become a man. Best thing they could ever do right now, and at least share something that will set an example for others..

Enough said by me, but if no charges are to be made I expect some growing up and taking accountability for what has happened. I think I would say there might be 1000+ hrs of community service centered around fishing, tournaments, and picking up trash at all of the lakes.

Would encourage others to think of something to help the boys and post it. I know, I know.. I also was saying a good ol'a$$ whooping was in order and it might have already happened. Prayers for the Kid, and his Mentor who "Has a long row to hoe, right now.".

And for the record, i do not know them. But I am hoping my son fishes on the BN fishing club in two years when he gets to HS. Truly a black eye for the team.

Prosise

Re: Cheaters on Eagle Mountain [Re: dkmore] #14432702 07/28/22 03:17 PM
ssmith Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
believe me i do not condone cheating but these guys have taken a beating like probly no other folks that have been caught cheating .they are young men an have a lot of life ahead of them if they make amends an that would be what ever that folks that ran the tournament would decide on would be fair an after that give them a fresh start after all this i doubt these guys would ever do anything like this again . again there should be some form of restitution that would make the folks an their folks that fished the tournament ok with surely there would be a compromise that could be reached .

Re: Cheaters on Eagle Mountain [Re: ssmith] #14432718 07/28/22 03:42 PM
C_Fisher Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by ssmith
believe me i do not condone cheating but these guys have taken a beating like probly no other folks that have been caught cheating .they are young men an have a lot of life ahead of them if they make amends an that would be what ever that folks that ran the tournament would decide on would be fair an after that give them a fresh start after all this i doubt these guys would ever do anything like this again . again there should be some form of restitution that would make the folks an their folks that fished the tournament ok with surely there would be a compromise that could be reached .

If TPWD would have done their part, I can guarantee you this would have not been posted to the public like this. I knew about it the night it happened and so did the other 30 guys that fished that week. It has been kept pretty quiet until TPWD made the decision to not do anything about it... And, we fished the week before when they took money for 2nd place. I actually congratulated them for their finish against all the eagle mountain hammers they beat out that night.

If you play stupid games, you're going to win stupid prizes...

Last edited by C_Fisher; 07/28/22 03:48 PM.
Re: Cheaters on Eagle Mountain [Re: avid_basser] #14432723 07/28/22 03:47 PM
rickys Offline
Angler
Angler
I'd like to see them do community service at all THSBA tournaments wearing shirts saying I cheated. Make them talk to kids about what they did, and why they did it. A lot of teaching/learning can come from this for all these high school kids. 99% of all tournament anglers fail every weekend. There's only one winner. I think too many of these kids are being taught, or see win at all cost is the only way. That's just not what this sport is about.

Last edited by rickys; 07/28/22 03:48 PM.
Re: Cheaters on Eagle Mountain [Re: rickys] #14432726 07/28/22 03:48 PM
4Weight Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by rickys
I'd like to see them do community service at all THSBA tournaments wearing shirts saying I cheated. Make them talk to kids about what they did, and why they did it. A lot of teaching/learning can come from this for all these high school kids. 99% of all tournament anglers fail every weekend. There's only one winner. I think too many of these kids are being taught, or seeing win at all cost. That's just not what this sport is about.

Solid take

Aztec Anglers San Juan River Guide Service
www.aztecanglers.com
Re: Cheaters on Eagle Mountain [Re: avid_basser] #14432732 07/28/22 03:52 PM
1oldbassguy Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by avid_basser
When I first heard about this, I text my buddy and we threw around what if's...

What if this were my son?

Well, after he could walk again, yes I would have put my boot in his arse!

The punishment would be:
1) They pay back every $ they stole from the tournaments
2) They do some sort of community service, like above, boat washes, clean up around the lakes, etc. 2-5 hours for every dollar they had stolen.
3) They volunteer at the local lakes and do some of the daily things the lakes need: Trash, bathrooms, etc. 2-5 hours for every dollar they had stolen.
4) They apologize, in person, to the trail(s) anglers they've stolen from

Then and only then, would I allow them to step foot in a boat and back on the water. They are banned from just about tournament around here, so there's no need to talk about that.

how about they stand on the busiest street corner of their city with a GIANT sign that say's --- My name is XXXXXX , I cheated and stole money in a fishing tourney .
They have to stand their an entire weekend --Friday through Sunday

Re: Cheaters on Eagle Mountain [Re: dkmore] #14432733 07/28/22 03:54 PM
dkmore Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
I will confirm that one of the guys has personally reached out to me and we had a pretty good conversation about all of this. I will make a post this afternoon as to the details of the conversation we had.

Re: Cheaters on Eagle Mountain [Re: dkmore] #14432736 07/28/22 03:55 PM
B
beartrap Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
FWIW...back in mid 80's I fished a Hydrasport team tourny on Percy Priest lake...my partner and I finished 7th out of probably 250 boats....week later got an additional check for several hundred dollars and letter explaining that my we had been moved up opne place to 6th place because the second place finishers had been dis-qualified for cheating (and i assume the trail owners had put stop payment on their check)....found out later that the two who were disqualified had been suspected of cheating for some time.....these two had entered another tourny the day after the Hydrasport tourny and one of the guys followed them at a distance with binoculars and observed them taking fish out of a tank from a car parked at a remote ramp and putting them in their livewells....these guys would take out just enough fish to finish 2nd-4th and avoid taking the polygraph required by the winner....
.lesson to be learned here for tourny directors...always give two polygraphs,one for winner and one given at randonm to somebody in top ten....

Re: Cheaters on Eagle Mountain [Re: Mark Perry] #14432780 07/28/22 04:22 PM
D
David Burton Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
D
Originally Posted by Mark Perry
Originally Posted by the skipper
Why doesnt the Sprague thread have this kind of outrage?

Probably because it's on a local level and directly affects more people than the Sprague deal. Maybe also because it appears very little was done about this even though Donnie took it to law enforcement.

It's also totally different on the level of severity. I know someone will say, "Rule breaking is rule breaking..." I think (opine) blatantly flauting a no info rule is different than attempting to rig the event by pre-staging fish so you don't have to "catch" them. Sprague is bad, and he deserves the DQ. This is on a totally different level.

For those that like the traffic analogy... Sprague is like running a red light or changing lanes without an indicator. This is like intentionally ramming another car at a stop sign!

David Burton
2015 Skeeter FX 21 +Ultrex +Helix 12 (x3) +Mega360 +MegaLive
Re: Cheaters on Eagle Mountain [Re: David Burton] #14432816 07/28/22 04:50 PM
O
OkAce Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
O
Originally Posted by David Burton
Originally Posted by Mark Perry
Originally Posted by the skipper
Why doesnt the Sprague thread have this kind of outrage?

Probably because it's on a local level and directly affects more people than the Sprague deal. Maybe also because it appears very little was done about this even though Donnie took it to law enforcement.

It's also totally different on the level of severity. I know someone will say, "Rule breaking is rule breaking..." I think (opine) blatantly flauting a no info rule is different than attempting to rig the event by pre-staging fish so you don't have to "catch" them. Sprague is bad, and he deserves the DQ. This is on a totally different level.

For those that like the traffic analogy... Sprague is like running a red light or changing lanes without an indicator. This is like intentionally ramming another car at a stop sign!

If this is the case then they need to put a level of severity by each rule. These kids watch people like Sprague with his snagging and rule breaking tactics and when all he gets is a slap on the wrist why wouldn’t they follow suit. If he were to have gotten away with the no info [censored] without punishment then what’s next? Where does it stop?

Re: Cheaters on Eagle Mountain [Re: dkmore] #14432841 07/28/22 05:12 PM
F
flashman252 Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Originally Posted by dkmore
I will confirm that one of the guys has personally reached out to me and we had a pretty good conversation about all of this. I will make a post this afternoon as to the details of the conversation we had.

I am actually glad to hear this. Look forward to this post because deep down, I am kind of rooting for these kids to make things right in some way. I doubt they will EVER compete again in the fishing world but would love to see these young men take it on the chin, put one foot forward and accept their lickings and take it as a learning opportunity for moving forward in life.

Re: Cheaters on Eagle Mountain [Re: J.P. Greeson] #14432860 07/28/22 05:30 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted by J.P. Greeson
I heard (this is just rumor, so not sure if it's true) that one of the boys is reaching out to make amends. And that he has offered to do community service and whatever it takes to make things right. Personally, I would have them do one year as gophers for the working man's tournament Donnie hosts. I might also have them do service time at their local Salvation Army store once a week for 100-200 hours.

Make 'em clean up trash around the ramp and parking lot, cook hotdogs for the anglers, and whatever else is asked of them within reason.

If that is true, it's good to hear. They will be black balled and even hated by many (or as long as people remember), but maybe there is a glimmer that one or both can learn and improve as individuals going forward.

Gaining the trust back of those that know you and care is one thing, gaining the trust back of strangers is a very slippery slope.

#MFGA
Re: Cheaters on Eagle Mountain [Re: dkmore] #14432865 07/28/22 05:32 PM
Bruce's Online Sad
TFF Celebrity
Online Sad
TFF Celebrity
I know that one angler is trying to make amends.

Bruce's Sprinkler Repair
817-798-7246
52 years experience
State Licensed Irrigation
LI0017483

Fishing Texas lakes one at a time

Re: Cheaters on Eagle Mountain [Re: dkmore] #14432883 07/28/22 05:41 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Originally Posted by dkmore
+

That is good to hear Donnie.

Page 22 of 27 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 26 27
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide