Re: gps today [Re: Flags] #14427757 07/22/22 11:31 PM
B
Bassnhog Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted by Flags
Y'All do know that GPS belongs to the Dept of Defense and has a built in program to shut off all civilian use and revert back to solely military operations don't you? Never get too dependent on something that can be shut off by simply pressing a button. Learn to read a map and use a magnetic compass.

Indeed.

Semper Fi-shing
Re: gps today [Re: lconn4] #14427768 07/22/22 11:54 PM
B
Bassnhog Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
B
Operating militarily in a GPS-denied environment has been part of our National Defense Strategy for a number of years, and we train for it. I know that because I'm still engaged in it. China now has their own fleet of GPS satellites. Their BeiDou constellation is operational and has 35 satellites. We can each blind/destroy one another's overhead assets, but a compass and a new Rand McNally Atlas (if they still print them) will still get you where you need/want to go here on terra firma.

Semper Fi-shing
Re: gps today [Re: Flags] #14427790 07/23/22 12:29 AM
C
Canino Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted by Canino

The entire airline industry and overseas shipping industry depend on GPS every minute of every day.
Not quite. While they use GPS they also do all their plots in magnetic because GPS can go down. I spent 25 years in the USN and navigation was my job. Every course we plotted had GPS, True heading and magnetic headings. They still do this.

The "flip-of-the-switch" to degrade GPS (called Selective Availability) was killed off by federal law signed by Clinton way back in 2000. Before that, even degraded GPS still had 50 meter accuracy. The GPS III satellites, starting in 2007, don't even have the ability to selectively degrade. To deny GPS in a military conflict, the US military now uses targeted jamming that doesn't affect civilian, commercial, or military use anywhere except specifically in the targeted area.

BS. Clinton sold the GPS technology to the world but the military maintained possession and can still shut it down. They will not allow our enemies to use it against us if a major war hits and if need be they will shut it all down.

No one is going to turn off GPS. Yes, 25 years ago they could degrade the signal for lower accuracy but even then it was still plenty accurate enough for civilian navigation.
Again, BS. Most of the major weapon systems use GPS for targeting and it isn't just the USA that does that. They can and will shut it down if need be. Before I retired from active duty in 2014 I sat in on classified meetings that covered just this topic.

You speak a nice game but you know that of which you speak.

Here it is man, right on the GPS.gov website. The US Government GPS.gov website that is. You need your training to be updated for this century:

https://www.gps.gov/support/faq/

Selective Availability and the fact that GPS III satellites don't even have the ability to turn off like earlier ones did:
https://www.gps.gov/systems/gps/modernization/sa/

GPS III uses SEPARATE secure-access military code so completely turning off civilian GPS for military purposes is unnecessary (civilian GPS is still jammable):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS_Block_III

And as Bassnhog said, China now has its own GPS. There's no need to shut anything down in case of an attack - anyone can use China's BeiDou constellation. In fact, many Chinese-made smartphones including the popular Huawei P-40 have the chip already built-in to use BeiDou. The Samsung Galaxy S20 5G also has a BeiDou chip.

Re: gps today [Re: Canino] #14427794 07/23/22 12:33 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S

The entire airline industry and overseas shipping industry depend on GPS every minute of every day.
Not quite. While they use GPS they also do all their plots in magnetic because GPS can go down. I spent 25 years in the USN and navigation was my job. Every course we plotted had GPS, True heading and magnetic headings. They still do this.

The "flip-of-the-switch" to degrade GPS (called Selective Availability) was killed off by federal law signed by Clinton way back in 2000. Before that, even degraded GPS still had 50 meter accuracy. The GPS III satellites, starting in 2007, don't even have the ability to selectively degrade. To deny GPS in a military conflict, the US military now uses targeted jamming that doesn't affect civilian, commercial, or military use anywhere except specifically in the targeted area.

BS. Clinton sold the GPS technology to the world but the military maintained possession and can still shut it down. They will not allow our enemies to use it against us if a major war hits and if need be they will shut it all down.

No one is going to turn off GPS. Yes, 25 years ago they could degrade the signal for lower accuracy but even then it was still plenty accurate enough for civilian navigation.
Again, BS. Most of the major weapon systems use GPS for targeting and it isn't just the USA that does that. They can and will shut it down if need be. Before I retired from active duty in 2014 I sat in on classified meetings that covered just this topic.

Here it is man, right on the GPS.gov website. The US Government GPS.gov website that is. You need your training to be updated for this century:

Selective Availability and the fact that GPS III satellites don't even have the ability to turn off like earlier ones did:

GPS III uses SEPARATE unjammable military code so completely turning off GPS for military purposes is unnecessary (civilian GPS is still jammable):

Yeh man. Donโ€™t let the jar heads talk down to you. cheers

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: gps today [Re: Canino] #14428313 07/23/22 06:48 PM
B
Bassnhog Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
B

GPS III uses SEPARATE secure-access military code so completely turning off civilian GPS for military purposes is unnecessary (civilian GPS is still jammable):

And as Bassnhog said, China now has its own GPS. There's no need to shut anything down in case of an attack - anyone can use China's BeiDou constellation. In fact, many Chinese-made smartphones including the popular Huawei P-40 have the chip already built-in to use BeiDou. The Samsung Galaxy S20 5G also has a BeiDou chip.

....and the Chinese would love for everyone to use their systems (cell phones, drones - all GPS enabled) both for monetary and military purposes. Huawei is also heavily into drone production and Beidou gives them their navigation capability without using U.S. GPS assets that they once relied upon. Fun stuff.

Semper Fi-shing
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide