Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Denton Creek 2022 [Re: prosise] #14300490 02/28/22 07:17 PM
S
Searsay Offline
Angler
Angler
S
so to answer some questions - I'm sure prosise and some other who seem to get out a lot more than i do can respond on the rest (and i get stuck with the rest of the forum lurkers - envying them as they post about getting out!!) popcorn

1) Agree - it is a very nice creek - amount of people depends on day - seems to get less than many of the creeks on lewisville - overall shore access is harder for a good portion of it either due to private property or steepness. I've never had an issue with to many kayaks. I have had rude boats back there... but the stumps usually stop them from being to bad. At least the last few times i've been out there has been a LOT less boat traffic on it than there was in prior years... could just be a timing thing though.
2) 377 bridge access is actually a ways from the creek - due to flood plain/terrain. it is a bit of chore if you plan on trying to launch your kayak there - but doable if you have two people and are willing to walk a bit... it is a bit of up and down and is about ~700ft from parking to water.
- https://goo.gl/maps/MjNEv1NCp2kFg5g1A
3) Other people can speak to how far back sandies will go - i am NOT an expert in this area... I usually kayak fish... so once I find a spot where they are biting ... I stop going back! so i've never made it much past 377.

Re: Denton Creek 2022 [Re: Searsay] #14301400 03/01/22 04:37 PM
N
ntgolfandfish Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
Searsay, thanks for the response. Hopefully it won't get too overcrowded, its such an awesome creek. But given the limited bank fishing areas and paid access to TC park and kinda scary looking route for bigger boats, it makes sense there won't be tons of people.

As for the 377 bridge, I was hoping there was a way to actually drive a truck down to the creek underneath the 377 bridge and then launch a kayak from there. But I guess this isn't possible? Google maps shows an access road just west of the train tracks, but when I drove by the entry to that road there was a gate there (assumed it was locked, looked like private land). I really don't want to park at the Knob Hills Bike Trail parking area and then carry/roll my kayak down to the creek under 377, or launch from Marshall Creek boat ramp and then kayak all the way down to 377 (that is a LOOOOONG kayak ride?). Like I said, I only went maybe one-third of the way from Marshall Creek boat ramp to the 377 bridge, and that took about 1 hour on a pedal kayak. Surely there are fish to be found somewhere along the way.

When I was out, the water felt pretty chilly. Anyone know the latest water temp? I'm going back again this weekend and will pick up a thermostat. I've read 55 to 60 degrees is the sweet spot for sand bass spawning.

Re: Denton Creek 2022 [Re: prosise] #14301408 03/01/22 04:43 PM
N
ntgolfandfish Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
Here are some pics from 2-28-22 right around the Marshall Creek ramp:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

As you can tell, the water is super murky/muddy/brown.

Last edited by ntgolfandfish; 03/01/22 04:44 PM.
Re: Denton Creek 2022 [Re: prosise] #14302247 03/02/22 11:05 AM
P
prosise Online Content OP
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
If you go back to my feb 12 post, that is the first real good gravel step. Before this spot is many sandy banks, they hold fish. Just stay away from muddy bottoms, with the low water it will be different then last year. Haven't been up this year yet, been chasing ghosts. And the ghost hunting has been good. From 377 bridge it's @ 4 miles to Henrietta Hole, but I don't think it will get as much attention with the lower water. Check the Google link in the feb 12 post, that should be on like donkey kong right now. Last year the water level allowed boats under 377 bridge, i doubt a big boat could make it by without a shallow draft, and raising the motor. Really have to be careful right now up there, but in a yak you can cover water. To access the area under the bridge, drive west over the bridge and take the first road to the south. Kinda across and a little west of the parking lot on the north side of the road. Then when you cross the tracks turn left. Don't leave your vehicle down there, is what i was told. There seems to always be a mud hole about halfway down to the water, which my truck cannot handle.

If you launch from here, you can go up @ 2 miles to the gravel i referenced.

But fishing your way up might show earlier locations. If you see rocks, gravel, or sand fish it.

Take care all

Prosise

Re: Denton Creek 2022 [Re: prosise] #14302743 03/02/22 06:44 PM
N
ntgolfandfish Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
Originally Posted by prosise
If you go back to my feb 12 post, that is the first real good gravel step. Before this spot is many sandy banks, they hold fish. Just stay away from muddy bottoms, with the low water it will be different then last year. Haven't been up this year yet, been chasing ghosts. And the ghost hunting has been good. From 377 bridge it's @ 4 miles to Henrietta Hole, but I don't think it will get as much attention with the lower water. Check the Google link in the feb 12 post, that should be on like donkey kong right now. Last year the water level allowed boats under 377 bridge, i doubt a big boat could make it by without a shallow draft, and raising the motor. Really have to be careful right now up there, but in a yak you can cover water. To access the area under the bridge, drive west over the bridge and take the first road to the south. Kinda across and a little west of the parking lot on the north side of the road. Then when you cross the tracks turn left. Don't leave your vehicle down there, is what i was told. There seems to always be a mud hole about halfway down to the water, which my truck cannot handle.

If you launch from here, you can go up @ 2 miles to the gravel i referenced.

But fishing your way up might show earlier locations. If you see rocks, gravel, or sand fish it.

Take care all

Prosise

Thanks for the great info, Prosise. That's very helpful. I might try and get down to launch from under the 377 bridge if I can make it. I definitely will keep an eye out for the gravel/rocks areas from here on out. I don't remember seeing too much of that heading from the Marshall Creek ramp as this seemed muddy banks left and right. Wish I had a nice graph setup!!

Re: Denton Creek 2022 [Re: prosise] #14303716 03/03/22 06:03 PM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
I noticed the BLM cleaned up the small parking lot, and is now accessible. The small parking lot is just west of Tractor supply. It's pretty steep, and I don't know if a car can make it into this area. But I saw a truck parked there yesterday when I drove by headed to Ray Roberts. This is a real close point to access the creek in the good areas. Note: Wear good boots, and do not carry concealed. This is federal land, which is a big no-no. If you look at the screenshot below, you can see the creek over to the left of the picture. ALso adding a google link.

Google Link to Parking lot

[Linked Image]

Last edited by prosise; 03/03/22 06:04 PM.
Re: Denton Creek 2022 [Re: prosise] #14303922 03/03/22 09:59 PM
M
Man under the round hat. Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
I started to take a run at it but my Nissan Rouge 2wd got scared approaching the first hump and spun a wheel. Hit reverse and got outta there.

Does anyone ever park road side? I see some no parking signs along the highway, but not everywhere.

I'm willing to walk a halfmile if necessary.

Last edited by Man under the round hat.; 03/03/22 09:59 PM.

it seems every fish is a hybrid until its landed.

see also is it a hybrid / I think its a hybrid
Re: Denton Creek 2022 [Re: prosise] #14304320 03/04/22 12:56 PM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
I have parked on the road, and i pull way off on the incline. I have been told that i will get a ticket, but I have been lucky. I have been chastised a few times by guides who got their butt hurt when they saw me up there. There is a few spots that I will drag my canoe down the hill and over some land to get close to the creek. It is very hard work, there are many things with fangs in a couple specific areas, and the. Poison ivy is think where I drag. But it saves me 6 miles of motoring with the suzuki 2hp on the canoe. With the creek being so low, i don't expect to see many boats up. You might see a couple jet boat setups, and they can go way up but they screw the water color up in the shallow water. I will eventually go up and get some info, but I am having too much fun with bass to be perfectly honest. Water color looks great up the creek, been rubber necking the water every time i drive over it. For you guys in a yak, or canoe you are going to have some fun. Last year the water was high enough that me and my son launched the canoe at the I35 bridge, and we worked down to the hole. But right now, you will be dragging your yak/canoe most of the day with the level's we are dealing with.

People are fishing, and it will be good for those who journey off the beaten path.

Prosise

Re: Denton Creek 2022 [Re: prosise] #14304430 03/04/22 02:56 PM
F
fishinjack Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
Prosise, thanks for the great info. I am thinking of taking the yaks there tomorrow with the wife. So, the spot you have circled in the picture above, I can park there and carry the yaks to the water? I don't want to risk getting stuck by trying to drive all the way under the bridge. Don't have 4X4 unfortunately.

Re: Denton Creek 2022 [Re: prosise] #14304640 03/04/22 05:49 PM
M
Man under the round hat. Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
The woods on the other side of the trains tracks are thick but passable.

Went up to the 377 bridge yesterday. The water was something of a an algae mud soup.

I was there for about 30 minutes and did not catch any.

it seems every fish is a hybrid until its landed.

see also is it a hybrid / I think its a hybrid
Re: Denton Creek 2022 [Re: fishinjack] #14304746 03/04/22 07:13 PM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Originally Posted by fishinjack
Prosise, thanks for the great info. I am thinking of taking the yaks there tomorrow with the wife. So, the spot you have circled in the picture above, I can park there and carry the yaks to the water? I don't want to risk getting stuck by trying to drive all the way under the bridge. Don't have 4X4 unfortunately.

No that is too far to drag in my opinion. I would walk in with boots and pants, and spot check it. look just west of that spot at the bridge on google maps, you will see a small land locked pond. THat is where I drop in, you might have someone drop you off. Then come back for you.

Here: drag where you see the yellow, then paddle down the land locked pond, then drag over the dirt hump that separates the pond from the creek. It's work, but saves time.

[Linked Image]

Re: Denton Creek 2022 [Re: prosise] #14304886 03/04/22 09:43 PM
F
fishinjack Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
Ok great! Thank you so much!

Re: Denton Creek 2022 [Re: prosise] #14306718 03/07/22 03:15 AM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
To early, need a couple weeks. Most of the creek is a ghost town.

I took canoe up about 400 yards above Henrietta hole, then worked back. Nothing up there, couple stragglers here and there but not much up there. I pulled the livescope
Off the boat and used it on the canoe. You might be a redbeck if you have livescope on your canoe. Checked all the water down and not much up yet. Stopped at the first gravel step above the 377 bridge here )))

Same spot i posted in feb.

Google Earth map location

It doesn't look like this right now, google earth pic is old. Caught prob 75 here and below using single jig and tiny-trap bumping the bottom. If your not making contact with the bottom, your spinning your wheels. Note: if your not fishing a hard bottom move on, i picked up a long stick and below this gravel step the bottom is hard gravel and is good for several hundred yards. I worked a single jig bouncing it along the bottom and picked up allot of fish. Prob a limit and a half of them were keepers. Still early, but the afternoon bite here is pretty good. But it's not worth taking a boat up there, too many things to hurt a prop. I only draw 1 ft with the canoe and 2hp suzuki. Saw several boats, and one jet. The man in the jet stopped right where the good spot is. I will throw some footage together and post a video later. This step has many juvenile males working the bait, you can watch them swim up the shallow step. So unless you see gravel, rocks, or a hard bottom your wasting your time. The fish at this location are concentrated and this is the only moving water (fast bubbling water) until you get to Henrietta Hole.

A man showed up at the spot and he picked up about 6 nice fish in 20 minutes fishing below the step. If you see the area, you will not see much. The water is shallow, and compared to last year is very different.

Fish the drop side of the current which is 2 ft at the deepest.
Note: when going up post the 377 bridge, there is a concrete wall that extends out into the creek just above the corner with the rocks on it. Will add a pic so you can see.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
concrete wall danger

Last edited by prosise; 03/07/22 03:32 AM.
Re: Denton Creek 2022 [Re: prosise] #14307168 03/07/22 05:41 PM
N
ntgolfandfish Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
Went out Saturday 3-5-22. Launched from beneath 377 bridge. From 377, turn west onto Cowboy Lane, turn south just after train tracks onto dirt road. About half a mile down dirt road. I would recommend only taking this dirt road in a truck, not a car. I would not try it if muddy/rainy in any vehicle. Some bumps and sticks along the way. The parking area is pretty trashed, though.

I fished all along the area marked green and caught a handful. It was fun. As others have said, when you find gravel/rocks and moving water, you usually find fish. I caught a few, but didn't catch a ton. Pretty much seems like smaller males. It does feel a little early and seems more fish will be on the way in next few weeks. All my fish were caught in the area marked green. I did see the concrete wall that is just beneath the surface of the water. Marked in red. You can see the close-up from google maps. Beware, this could do serious damage to a boat. It scraped the bottom of my kayak.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This was my first time fishing this area. What a great place to fish! Fun day and saw a few other friendly boaters, kayaks, bank fishermen in the area. I did see others catching crappie. All my fish released to fight another day. Also picked up a little trash to help keep this great fishing area alive and well. FYI, you do not need a boat or kayak to reach this area. You can park and walk to these spots.

Re: Denton Creek 2022 [Re: prosise] #14307181 03/07/22 05:53 PM
N
ntgolfandfish Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
Originally Posted by prosise
To early, need a couple weeks. Most of the creek is a ghost town.

Thanks for the report and video. Ya that concrete wall is a serious obstruction, I'm surprised there isn't a danger sign nearby. Luckily one of the kayakers warned me before I got to the area.

In your video, that flowing water seems to be key. I don't know how deep it goes underneath the flow, but the fish seemed to be staged there waiting for baitfish. I saw shad and minnows flipping here and there.

Did you catch the water temperature? I couldn't find a water temp sensor at Academy.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide