Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Interesting bass story [Re: leanin post] #14170106 10/24/21 06:48 PM
J
Jimfishes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
I think it looks like a largemouth bass. Looks like the couple of bass I had mounted from Rayburn. Only difference I see is the broken lateral line. Good fish either way! They didn't certify it at 7.98 though.....lol.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Interesting bass story [Re: leanin post] #14171081 10/25/21 08:49 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
T
Originally Posted by leanin post
Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die
So it came from a lake on Fort Hood? That would make me a bit skeptical about it being a spot.

why is that , central texas has alot of spotted bass in many lakes, also ft hood has a stocking program that has gone on for many decades, from bass to rainbow trout.

I just don't see a spotted bass growing that big in a small water body. I saw Tom Mann Jr bring an 8+ spot to the scales at Lake Lanier and there was no doubt about it being a spotted bass. Good luck and I hope it does turn out to be a spot, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

"If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Re: Interesting bass story [Re: leanin post] #14171090 10/25/21 08:59 PM
P
prosise Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Now that is a fishing story! You don't know what you don't know, is what I was told many moons ago.

Cool story..

Me and two partners in crime went out into the gulf when we were much stupid'r than I am today. On the way down my buddy said we should get entered into the (star tournament). Naa, we said. Would have won a boat, or truck (or maybe both) from the kingfish we landed.. you never know what is going to happen. Although, if we would have entered the tourney, we prob wouldn't have caught jack "you know what". Keep us updated..

Re: Interesting bass story [Re: leanin post] #14171119 10/25/21 09:21 PM
H
Hook'Em 79 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
H
July 28th is my bday....

Cool story for sure and hope it turns out to be whatever it is you want it to be sir.

God, Family, Friends
www.sterlingtractor.com

Re: Interesting bass story [Re: leanin post] #14171424 10/26/21 03:04 AM
Pitdad Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Great story, keep us updated!

[Linked Image]
Re: Interesting bass story [Re: leanin post] #14171431 10/26/21 03:15 AM
D
Dogfish_Jones Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
D
Looks like a spot but the taxidermy guy could have added those features.
Iā€™m looking at the broken lateral spots which means a spot.
The belly has some pronounced lines which means a spot.
But this fish has been doctored up also.

2020 Nitro Z20, Mercury 250xp 4 stroke
"Sometimes I have to remind myself that it is called Fishing and not catching"
Re: Interesting bass story [Re: Rube G.] #14174283 10/28/21 09:23 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by Rube G.
Does it have any teeth on it's tongue?

I dont think its the real tongue. I think the taxidermist use a type of puddy, then paint it.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Interesting bass story [Re: Hook'Em 79] #14174291 10/28/21 09:30 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by Hook'em79
July 28th is my bday....

Cool story for sure and hope it turns out to be whatever it is you want it to be sir.

thank u sir.

I just want to know what it is. im not a record chaser, but it would be a good trophy for our state. just a tiny bit shy of the oklahoma record of 8.03 pounds, which im sure it surpassed before its long icechest ride to the weigh site in the hot texas sun..
This has been a mystery to me for over 25 years, before any type of testing similair to what we have today was in use. it would be a great story to pass down to the kids and grand kids for many years.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Interesting bass story [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #14174298 10/28/21 09:40 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by Dogfish_Jones

you know ive thought of that, but then asked myself, why would he try to make it look like something it really wasnt. I had no input in it at all, just asked him to mount it., back when I caught it I was in my late 20s, and was not even familiar with a spotted bass. I knew of 3 species, largemouth, and smallmouth., and sand bass. it was many years later before I caught a small rock bass. had not heard of or seen one before that.
To me it would be alot easier to try and accentuate what was already there, then to try and change the way it looks naturally. back then there were no I phones and I didnt even have a digital camera, so I cant recall if any pics were taken or not. would sure help though,.

Re: Interesting bass story [Re: Texan Til I Die] #14174304 10/28/21 09:45 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by leanin post
So it came from a lake on Fort Hood? That would make me a bit skeptical about it being a spot.

why is that , central texas has alot of spotted bass in many lakes, also ft hood has a stocking program that has gone on for many decades, from bass to rainbow trout.

I just don't see a spotted bass growing that big in a small water body. I saw Tom Mann Jr bring an 8+ spot to the scales at Lake Lanier and there was no doubt about it being a spotted bass. Good luck and I hope it does turn out to be a spot, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

A friend of mine caught the state record perch on a ft hood lake many years ago when we worked at sears together, his name was Richard. cant recall his last name. dont know if he still holds the record, will have to look it up.
Lots of big fish are caught in small water bodies.

Re: Interesting bass story [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #14174312 10/28/21 09:52 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by Dogfish_Jones

yes, with the skin and scales being in tact, the original pattern is there, it would have taken alot of work to change it.
think abt it, he would have to paint over the original lines, and paint in a new pattern,, ALSO, the jawline, theres no changing that it is the real jaw. the top fins, bottom fins, tail, all from the actual fish. it would have been a heck of alot of work to do something I did not request.
It doesnt make sense.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide