Page 18 of 20 1 2 16 17 18 19 20
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14177354 11/01/21 02:32 AM
P
prosise Online Content OP
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Good day out on the lake. Launched at 3:30am, and pulled out at sunset. I was suprised to see that I wasn't the first at the ramp. One of the usual suspects was going out to put a dent in the catfish. Mr. "B" also had a new toy installed on his boat. "Spot lock". He sent me a picture of a fish he caught today, and he said it was ok to share.. He said the catfish are shallow. I fished for the green fish until 3pm, started looking around and didn't see one bird working the water all day. Saw a few birds sitting on the water, but I think the birds hitched a ride on the high winds down south. I looked everywhere except Murrell point for fish, and nothing really seen. There is still bait in Meadomere, and I saw bait near the island as well. I went up north of the rock crusher to the waypoint I posted many pages back. I could see some fish there, but pretty scarce. I turned on the redneck thumper, and after about 5 minutes I started catching 8-9" fish. I moved around to several humps up in this area, and there was a few fish on most of the high spots. Caught two flathead catfish, which was fun. Never really dialed into them, and I can tell the lake got beat up pretty good from the high winds. The water is off color a bit, and at 67.8 degrees. Bass fishing is really good, and I was blessed today. Only fishing for big fish the last couple of months, and it is paying off. Take care all, and will get more info on Tuesday. Today felt like a weekday, not much boat traffic out on the lake.

Mr. "B's" catfish..
[Linked Image]

My two cats.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14178309 11/01/21 08:40 PM
J
JWC Nauticstar Offline
Angler
Angler
J
I went Saturday morning from 9 am till 2 pm. I hit multiple locations and we had a total skunk. If it wasn't for Big Daddy's burger and fries the day was a bust. Beautiful day but not one fish. I spent an hour fishing green fish on the rocks on the north bank and nothing to report on that either. Lake was muddy all over.

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14178319 11/01/21 08:53 PM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
The fish i was catching up north of the crusher were right on the bottom. You will not see much, and just a whisper of a signature on thr bottom below the boat. When you hook one you see several show up out of nowhere, so they are right on the bottom. Thumper did help, and was happy to see more fish come into my area. Right now, goto your best spots and give each a little time. Wierd thing about yestrrday, i am seeing bait down in the deeper ranges (25+) and the humps were clean. So after thinking about yesterday, i might have done better just down from the drop on the humps. The fish might have been coming to me. Every day you learn, and have to decode what info you have.

This was the waypoint from a earlier post, this was where I was.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by prosise; 11/01/21 08:54 PM.
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14179475 11/02/21 11:25 PM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Fished from 4:30 to 12:30pm,green fish is biting well. Cloud cover was nice, and escaped the lake before the monsoon hit. I dislike a soaked boat in the garage over the week, it has a hard time drying out. Earlier in the morning i was slow rolling a large spinnerbait on Meadomere point in the 15ft range and caught a really nice sandbass. This tells me their might be some good ones up in this area, but I didn't find them. I looked out off the drop in this area, but didn't see anything that stood out. About 9am I was going by the island and the birds were going crazy. I fished them for about 45 minutes, the majority of the fish that are working shad are small. I spent most of my time fishing the bottom trying to pick up bigger fish. Never quite panned out, and the schools are moving really fast. I only caught a couple of the fish that were under the birds, and they were not that easy. Picked up one good eating size catfish, but no monsters today. The fish I picked up down below were 4" to maybe 10". The birds worked the surface well past noon when I left. I would say the birds are a trap, but you could possibly catch something. This is all the intel i got today, Never went to the north side of the lake. Caught many, many small fish. I have rev 4 of the Mccracken, and it works. Been trying to land 10 fish at once, but keep getting small fish. Will keep trying, had many 3,4,5, and 6 fish but they were small. It gets crazy with them shaking, and I went back to the double rig.. When I find the bigger concentration, will break out the rig.

Take care all, rained good today and we needed it. Tomorrow we are expecting more, so I am hanging back and staying warm and dry.
Prosise

Last edited by prosise; 11/02/21 11:28 PM.
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14180041 11/03/21 01:43 PM
S
Slick Rick ‘06 Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
S
Hey now, 6 at a time! 10 is just plain showin' off. Those flathead catfish are a neat species. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I went to Lavon and fished for 3 hours and almost got skunked. I headed to the west bank with only minutes remaining in my trip and caught 3 (2 were good size). Nothing to write home about, but hope to put more in the boat this weekend.

You ain’t gonna catch any sittin’ on the couch.
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14185163 11/09/21 01:20 AM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Sorry for not updating the thread sooner. I went fishing for the green fish yesterday and lost a big fish, and my butt hurt for the remainder of the day. There was a good size bass tourney yesterday, and 24lbs won it. Bass bite is real good, and I have been blessed. Yesterday I launched at 4:30 and left at dark.

With that said, I launched at 5am (the new time) and the dark bite is not as good. Will be about two weeks, and it will be really good for Bass...

I was fishing mid lake this morning, and I could see the birds working the surface in the middle of the lake (between meadomere and twin coves). There was a boat out there harrasing the sandbass, and he was out there for over an hour before I headed to investigate. I eased up to the drop at meadomere, and he was about 200 yards out following the fish. I was positioned up on top of the drop, and could see the fish moving up. Turned on the Redneck thumper, and started catching fish. Had a really good time chewing the fat with a new contact for Grapevine lake. "Mr. P" had the panoptix, and I was running the 360 which really didn't make it fair for the sandbass. He had a good time watching the fish chase the jigs. I gave him one of my homemade blade baits, that you can run above your spoon. As we were catching fish we would move around a little, and pick them off. I hooked something big, and was 100% sure it was a catfish, but when it surfaced just about $hit in my pants as it was a really nice bass. Landed, took pictures, and released a 8.2lb beautiful fish. So that made the "butt hurt" issue go away from yesterday.. We went in different directions, and I really didn't have any luck for bass on the north bank. I went to the waypoint that i have mentioned several times in the thread, the one north of the rock crusher. Started catching sandbass, and then hooked a big cat. 22lb flathead which was a blast, and 20 minutes of battle. Probably caught 200 easily at this spot, and moved 50 ft each way testing the drop. I used a scaled down setup with 6 baits, but to be serious I could catch more with a two jigs. The 6 bait setup is a chore working the fish, and I caught allot of 4 fish sets. Never got all 6 jigs loaded, and the fish were 80% keepers here. Not seeing much on the graph, just turn on the thumper and keep the jig on the bottom. I was casting out, and dragging it back to the boat.. I will put the cat video on but still downloading it.

Lots of bait seen in meadomere, and the north side of the lake above twin coves.

Super big tip. If you see many birds sitting on the water, go to them and fish below them.. 4 times I eased up to them, and they were on a hump which had fish on it. The fish are right on the bottom, your not going to see a huge school but they will react to the bait. If you see anything right on the bottom, put a jig on it.

Here is a picture of the recycled blades from spinnerbaits, and rooster tails. These are the new McCraken I have strung up.
[Linked Image]

Fish Caught with spoon..
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14185440 11/09/21 01:33 PM
S
Angler
Online Content
Angler
S
Ah yes! Awesome outing. That green fish is a beee-yoouuteee! All those caught on slabs? You were in the right place at the right time. Cool flathead too!

Saw the same trend on Lavon with the birds. Lots of them. Hundreds. Had a big group of pelicans too. I wonder what you call a group of those? Saw a group of seagulls sitting on the water and as I watched they would move a little. The reason was bait. I saw the shad would flip and I even saw one gull snatch the shad right out of the water and flew off to enjoy the meal. The shad were working in a wind blown bank. We were cat fishing but it was tempting to throw a spoon at the area and see what was pushing that bait.

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: Slick Rick ‘06] #14185444 11/09/21 01:36 PM
S
Angler
Online Content
Angler
S
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here’s the picture of the pelicans and the 8 whisker fish we enjoyed that evening.

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: Slick Rick ‘06] #14185455 11/09/21 01:44 PM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Originally Posted by Slick Rick ‘06

[Linked Image]

Here’s the picture of the pelicans and the 8 whisker fish we enjoyed that evening.

That is the perfect eating size catfish in my opinion.. Really good meat.

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14185849 11/09/21 07:03 PM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Some Highlights from yesterday. First part is the catfish, the end is just playing with the sandbass with the 6 bait setup.. I actually caught more on the two bait setup..

The Big Girl that made me feel better.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by prosise; 11/09/21 07:13 PM.
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14185918 11/09/21 08:54 PM
J
JWC Nauticstar Offline
Angler
Angler
J
AWESOME report!

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14186201 11/10/21 01:59 AM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
I got to spend some time with a new fishing buddy that lives down the street. We fished for the green fish, but I saw birds working the area over near the waypoint i posted (north of the crusher). Also, saw birds working on the east meadomere point around 5pm. Just follow the birds, and get down to the bottom for the bigger fish..

Many blessings to all, and if you see something please add a comment. We stayed in the meadomere area from 3pm to 5:30pm..

Prosise

Last edited by prosise; 11/10/21 02:02 AM.
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14187146 11/11/21 02:55 AM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Bass fishing is good, but sandies are on fire. Meadomere main drop is good. Just look for the birds of you do not have electronics.

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14187815 11/11/21 08:23 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Offline
Jr Deputy Dan
Jr Deputy Dan
I have nothing to add but I really love your reports and this thread! Great bass on the spoon! And those cats man... had a big flathead just destroy a bass reel once. I got the fish but that reel was never the same.

Keep up the great work. I dont get to fish as much as I would like but like fishing Grapevine as its only 10 mintues from my house to Murrell. I been living vicariously through your reports

cheers

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14189273 11/13/21 12:06 PM
S
sapalmer Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
I went out yesterday afternoon based on your post looking to see if I could catch some sand bass/ catfish from the bank. Sand bass were definitely in there. I could see shad jumping out of the water. North wind made it impossible to cast a swim bait out there. Only thing I could throw was a 1 0z 4 inch swimbait and the north window pretty much threw that back at me. Cats were in there pretty good. Seemed like every time I got a call from a customer I would get hit good. ended up with a few eaters. Gonna smoke these over pecan today and watch football. Thanks for your detailed reports prosise.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by sapalmer; 11/13/21 12:07 PM.
Page 18 of 20 1 2 16 17 18 19 20
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide