Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: The dog days.... [Re: Miggz] #14106864 08/24/21 08:07 PM
buda13 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
It’s been brutal everywhere I’ve been except a buddies deer lease lake. That one doesn’t count though, lol. Takes some serious mental fortitude to grind out a full day for me right now.

Last edited by buda13; 08/24/21 08:07 PM.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: The dog days.... [Re: Miggz] #14106890 08/24/21 08:22 PM
T
Tx Tree Grower Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
I've learned that I seem to be opposite from most bass fishermen. I can almost always catch them when it's hot. However, I HATE fall and winter fishing. Fall and winter fishing is almost always a grind for me. Saturday was a typical summer full moon day for us. Morning bite was off, but we had probably 30+ fish from 11am to 1pm. The good news for tournament fishermen that struggle during the summer is that there are hardly any tournaments so it doesn't effect you in that way. Guess I need to swap a trip with some of you guys that seem to love fishing in the fall.

Re: The dog days.... [Re: Tx Tree Grower] #14106960 08/24/21 09:15 PM
F
Frank the Tank Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
F
Originally Posted by Tx Tree Grower
I've learned that I seem to be opposite from most bass fishermen. I can almost always catch them when it's hot. However, I HATE fall and winter fishing. Fall and winter fishing is almost always a grind for me. Saturday was a typical summer full moon day for us. Morning bite was off, but we had probably 30+ fish from 11am to 1pm. The good news for tournament fishermen that struggle during the summer is that there are hardly any tournaments so it doesn't effect you in that way. Guess I need to swap a trip with some of you guys that seem to love fishing in the fall.

eek2 WOW!! that's a crazy good day right now cheers

Jesus loves all of us
Re: The dog days.... [Re: Miggz] #14107271 08/25/21 02:13 AM
Brandon Potter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Caught 7 at Bridgeport.. wasn’t a great day, but wasn’t terrible. I really need to learn some stuff up the river

2022 Skeeter ZXR21
Re: The dog days.... [Re: Brandon Potter] #14107276 08/25/21 02:16 AM
Mark Perry Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
Originally Posted by Brandon Potter
Caught 7 at Bridgeport.. wasn’t a great day, but wasn’t terrible. I really need to learn some stuff up the river

Its worth learning. When its on up there you can find some quality size fish. We need a good cooing spell and it will fire off all across the lake soon as we get it.

Re: The dog days.... [Re: Mark Perry] #14107788 08/25/21 05:08 PM
Brandon Potter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by Mark Perry

Its worth learning. When its on up there you can find some quality size fish. We need a good cooing spell and it will fire off all across the lake soon as we get it.

I’ll be back up there Sunday, may run around and see what I can find

2022 Skeeter ZXR21
Re: The dog days.... [Re: Miggz] #14107867 08/25/21 06:17 PM
D
Dogfish_Jones Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
D
I did not fish our local Tuesday night big fish tournament as I had other things to do, but my buddy said the winning weight was 1.9 lbs. This was on Logan Martin. That's barely a keeper. It's tough everywhere........ October is around the corner.... banana

2020 Nitro Z20, Mercury 250xp 4 stroke
"Sometimes I have to remind myself that it is called Fishing and not catching"
Re: The dog days.... [Re: Mark Perry] #14107976 08/25/21 07:34 PM
Fishinfellow Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
We need a good cooing spell and it will fire off all across the lake soon as we get it.

[Linked Image]

Thats my money fish
[Linked Image]
Kris Winhold
Re: The dog days.... [Re: Mark Perry] #14108763 08/26/21 12:29 PM
ReelSlow Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler

I idled way up the river the other day scouting it out. Looked to be about 9-10 ft deep all the way with tons of cover. Lots of lilly pads. I have been fishing BP about 2 years now and never ventured past the big swing to the right at the mouth of the river. Im definitely going to start getting in there and giving it a shot.

GOD is good!
Re: The dog days.... [Re: Miggz] #14108866 08/26/21 01:50 PM
S
sprigsss Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
We started up some working man tournaments on J.B. Thomas from 6-9 on Thursday evenings. First 3 tourneys >16, 23, and 29 lbs won it.

The last 2 Thursdays no one weighed in a fish.

We also had our club tourney the Saturday between those 2 Thursdays and we had 6 fish weighed in with 21 anglers.

Fish everywhere, just seems they arent relating to structure or cover just mostly suspended in deeper water. Live scope.guys have tried dropping spoons and everything else right on them with no luck.

I did have a few good trips hammering 4-6 lb fish on topwaters in the middle of the day on a shallow flat with no rock, no brush, no ledges, etc. Just happened to see 2 fish break the surface chasing shade at 12:00 on a hot blue bird day. Pulled up and absolutely had a blast for about 40 minutes.

Went back the next Thursday and they were still there. Tried throwing big swimbaits, jerkbaits and everything else i had tied on and they would only hit 1 specific topwater. Then i figured if i could catch 4-6 lbers on topwater, why try anything else.....

Then suddenly that bite died. Normally the offshore bite is fairly.decent in August, ive caught 1 offshore fish this year on that lake. Its a strange time for sure.

Re: The dog days.... [Re: ReelSlow] #14109054 08/26/21 03:42 PM
Mark Perry Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
Originally Posted by ReelSlow

I idled way up the river the other day scouting it out. Looked to be about 9-10 ft deep all the way with tons of cover. Lots of lilly pads. I have been fishing BP about 2 years now and never ventured past the big swing to the right at the mouth of the river. Im definitely going to start getting in there and giving it a shot.

That is Big Creek and can be good at times. Please be careful running it at more than idle as there are rockpiles and shallow areas you can damage your boat if you don't know the run. When lake is full you can run to railroad bridge area.

Re: The dog days.... [Re: Miggz] #14109307 08/26/21 06:11 PM
James Niggemeyer Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
August/Septmber, generally speaking one of the toughest periods to stay consistently on them no doubt.

Bass Fishing Guide and Instructional Coaching service
www.jamesniggemeyer.com
903-312-0780
https://www.facebook.com/JamesNiggemeyerAngler
Re: The dog days.... [Re: Tx Tree Grower] #14110357 08/27/21 01:44 PM
J
Jack46 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted by Tx Tree Grower

Hello TTree, Would you by chance happen to be from Florida? Like you, those bass fishing guys in Florida catch a lot of big bass, especially in the Dog Days every summer too. They say live bait fish is the only bait that bass will bite consistently during the Dog Days. That bass will not bite artificial baits well at all then.

Your bass catching in the Texas Dog Days is very impressive to say the least; seriously, no joke, no jest or pun. You are doing routinely what all the rest of us only wish and hope we could do and cannot even begin do. Get bit and catch a bass in the Dog Days.

We can’t even catch a bite, much less hook and land a bass or 2 in the Dog Days. Same problems in the Dog Days every summer.
You definitely got your stuff in order when it comes to Dog Day bass fishing this summer. You are clearly the ONLY BASS FISHERMAN posting here on this particular thread that knows something special the rest of us don’t know now have a clue. How to make bass bite and catch a lot of bass in the Dog Days.

You are the only bass fisherman here that knows how, where, what to throw and when to throw that bait, gets bites and actually catches lots of bass in the Dog Days. You are the 1 and only fisherman here that can catch >30 bass in 2 hours at noon in these Dog Days.
Please share a bit of your knowledge with all of us Dog Day non-catching bass fishermen. We can’t catch 1 bass or even get a bite in 2-3 days fishing.

All of us certainly need your help if you would so kindly share your Dog Day knowledge with us.

4 serious Question please Tx:
(1) Why/how can you thrive catching bass in these Dog Days and the all the rest of us can’t even get a bite much less catch >30 bass in 2 hours?
(2) What do your think is about the Dog Days that causes the bite slow and basically stop for all the rest of us fishermen?
(3) Are you using live bait fish to catch all those bass in the Dog Days?
(4) What kind of live bait fish are you using?

I know that many bass fishermen in Florida routinely fish with live Golden Shiners and that catch many large bass in the Dog Days. They do not use artificial baits during and near the Dog Days. In Florida, the bite on artificial baits are slim to zip -0- in the Dog Days and large Golden Shiners are the bass bait of choice in the Dog Days for bass fishermen that want to catch fish.

Thank Tx

Re: The dog days.... [Re: Mark Perry] #14111281 08/28/21 12:04 PM
ReelSlow Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by ReelSlow

That is Big Creek and can be good at times. Please be careful running it at more than idle as there are rockpiles and shallow areas you can damage your boat if you don't know the run. When lake is full you can run to railroad bridge area.

Thanks Mark, I thought that was the W Fork of The Trinity. Now I see that the Trinity comes in on the other end. I have yet to go under the bridge at RAB and fish that side. I need to venture into that area as well. cheers

GOD is good!
Re: The dog days.... [Re: Miggz] #14111378 08/28/21 01:59 PM
O
outfishdya Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
O
Not sure about dog days of summer, but I absolutely love fishing July and August on my home lake.
I catch good fish, usually my most consistent big bags.
A few years back I could only catch dinks, but I found a pattern that really works for me. Milk run is a good description. Another thing people overlook is the mental beating you take. Stay positive, fish the cover tight, and don't worry about other people fishing your spots. Fish replenish good spots in the summer. Timing and presentation matters.

Woke up this morning
Got yourself a gun....
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide