F
Frank the Tank Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
F
roflmao

Jesus loves all of us
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Aluminum Bass Boats [Re: blakevinson4] #14095287 08/14/21 09:00 PM
Tiltman Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
My alum boat fishes just like a glass boat and not tippy at all very well balanced no rough water scares me

Re: Aluminum Bass Boats [Re: Tiltman] #14095295 08/14/21 09:09 PM
T
Topwater2 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
Originally Posted by Tiltman
My alum boat fishes just like a glass boat and not tippy at all very well balanced no rough water scares me

^^^^ I've been on Amistad, Falcon, and LBJ on days that looked like an ocean.

FishKen
Re: Aluminum Bass Boats [Re: blakevinson4] #14095391 08/14/21 10:51 PM
S
ssanderson Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Mr. scoundrel, that’s funny. Still laughing

M-37150/Med gas-25
BP0018911
Re: Aluminum Bass Boats [Re: Topwater2] #14095422 08/14/21 11:34 PM
Tiltman Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Topwater2

^^^^ I've been on Amistad, Falcon, and LBJ on days that looked like an ocean.

Rayburn, so bad my seat post pedestal ripped out.

Boat hung in there

Re: Aluminum Bass Boats [Re: blakevinson4] #14096049 08/15/21 05:21 PM
P
PWP Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
P
Back at the height of the drought I traded my 18’ Bass Cat for a 16’ Alumacraft just so I could continue to launch. Then about a month later the rains came and the drought was over. But here I am years later still missing my BassCat!

Re: Aluminum Bass Boats [Re: Ken A.] #14096294 08/15/21 10:28 PM
B
bockscar Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted by Ken A.
Originally Posted by Der Vorsteher
I fished JC Outdoors (all on Fork) this year with Old Hand FTT. He has an aluminum boat and we never had an issue. His is not tippy at all and spot lock holds it in place just fine. I was an aluminum hater until this year and after tons of research my new boat is a tin rig.

I would love to know what boat it is. Not a hater at all. Every metal boat I've ever fished from was unstable at rest when two guys were walking around in it. I've fished from the biggest Xpress boats that weigh a considerable amount and still thought they were tippy

lll give you that, especially if with a fat person! LOL dont ask how i know

but with that being said, I think when youre both walking around the boat at the same time its helping to net, or to get out of the way during a fight. One guy moving to tie on a new bait will make the boat move, but so will glass and I really dont think its that drastic to make it tippy. But my Pt 175 gets to rocking if i move around too much. I have pretty good balance though, so might be undervaluing the tippy factor LOL

Re: Aluminum Bass Boats [Re: Tiltman] #14096297 08/15/21 10:31 PM
B
bockscar Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B

i love driving in the wind and see it as a learning opportunity as a first time boat owner. Now with that being said....i could own a champion and I'd never make the "no rough water scares me" comment...thats too legit Brett type stuff right there that makes you run a ranger into the bank roflmao

Re: Aluminum Bass Boats [Re: Scoundrel] #14096465 08/16/21 01:39 AM
T
TxDanFishMan Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by Scoundrel
Tin is OK, but there is nothing more exhilarating than the sound of fiberglass crackling against a jagged submerged stump while idling the flats on a calm foggy morning.

Yep, and checking the manual bilge pump every 15 minutes for the rest of the day.

Slide right, coming in .... Fish On!
Re: Aluminum Bass Boats [Re: blakevinson4] #14096498 08/16/21 02:08 AM
R
RKT Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
The wind and rough water can be handled in a tin rig. I ran a 19 foot Xpress for over a decade. Even before spotlock it was not that bad for me to fish in the wind as I mostly fished offshore structure at that time. I am sure I was on the troller more than heavy glass boats but I didn't think it was that bad. The boat did not ride terrible in rough water unless you drove it in a terrible manner. If you drove rough water like you are supposed to it was not that bad. The problem with aluminum rigs is that if you want a performance hull with a larger motor (150hp and up), the tin and/or welds will eventually fail. Aluminum will not hold up long term as a performance hull in rough water. Either the welds will crack, the boat will crack, the welds from the aluminum to the structure will break, or the structure (stringers) will eventually flex. Of course this is just my opinion based on my personal experience and the many others I have personally talked to about their aluminum bass boats. I am sure some will tell you how they have ran an aluminum for long periods of times without any of those problems. Now if you are looking for an aluminum boat that is not a performance boat and has a smaller motor you may not have any of these issues.

Re: Aluminum Bass Boats [Re: bockscar] #14096501 08/16/21 02:15 AM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted by bockscar

i love driving in the wind and see it as a learning opportunity as a first time boat owner. Now with that being said....i could own a champion and I'd never make the "no rough water scares me" comment...thats too legit Brett type stuff right there that makes you run a ranger into the bank roflmao

Tilton's tin rig isn't something you can buy. It's a totally custom "Express" boat that has been stripped to the bare bones and structurally reengineered and rebuilt. Bart is a bad asss!

The only thing Express about it is the title.

#MFGA
Re: Aluminum Bass Boats [Re: RKT] #14096532 08/16/21 03:20 AM
B
bockscar Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted by RKT
The wind and rough water can be handled in a tin rig. I ran a 19 foot Xpress for over a decade. Even before spotlock it was not that bad for me to fish in the wind as I mostly fished offshore structure at that time. I am sure I was on the troller more than heavy glass boats but I didn't think it was that bad. The boat did not ride terrible in rough water unless you drove it in a terrible manner. If you drove rough water like you are supposed to it was not that bad. The problem with aluminum rigs is that if you want a performance hull with a larger motor (150hp and up), the tin and/or welds will eventually fail. Aluminum will not hold up long term as a performance hull in rough water. Either the welds will crack, the boat will crack, the welds from the aluminum to the structure will break, or the structure (stringers) will eventually flex. Of course this is just my opinion based on my personal experience and the many others I have personally talked to about their aluminum bass boats. I am sure some will tell you how they have ran an aluminum for long periods of times without any of those problems. Now if you are looking for an aluminum boat that is not a performance boat and has a smaller motor you may not have any of these issues.

Can anyone second this? I dont plan it for probably a couple/few years but I do want a big boy boat...was planning on a 19foot tin with a 150 maybe bigger. id lose my [censored] if that happened to my boat....and it would because im always in some kind of wind and my lakes easy to get the mini rollers going. I also dont think they ride bad if you pick the right line and read the waves right....but i do bounce a lot even if its not hard. that would def suck to have them fail....because i would 100% be buying used....so might be liable to happen at any moment

Re: Aluminum Bass Boats [Re: blakevinson4] #14096533 08/16/21 03:22 AM
F
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
F
Who’s Bart?

Jesus loves all of us
Re: Aluminum Bass Boats [Re: bockscar] #14096560 08/16/21 04:07 AM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted by bockscar
Originally Posted by RKT

Can anyone second this? I dont plan it for probably a couple/few years but I do want a big boy boat...was planning on a 19foot tin with a 150 maybe bigger. id lose my [censored] if that happened to my boat....and it would because im always in some kind of wind and my lakes easy to get the mini rollers going. I also dont think they ride bad if you pick the right line and read the waves right....but i do bounce a lot even if its not hard. that would def suck to have them fail....because i would 100% be buying used....so might be liable to happen at any moment

There are a few custom builders around that build a hull that won’t have these issues. If I went tin I would highly consider a couple of them to build me a boat.

#MFGA
Re: Aluminum Bass Boats [Re: Ken A.] #14096575 08/16/21 04:19 AM
F
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
F
Originally Posted by Ken A.
Originally Posted by Der Vorsteher
I fished JC Outdoors (all on Fork) this year with Old Hand FTT. He has an aluminum boat and we never had an issue. His is not tippy at all and spot lock holds it in place just fine. I was an aluminum hater until this year and after tons of research my new boat is a tin rig.

I would love to know what boat it is. Not a hater at all. Every metal boat I've ever fished from was unstable at rest when two guys were walking around in it. I've fished from the biggest Xpress boats that weigh a considerable amount and still thought they were tippy

I totally get it bud. Yes, my aluminum is more tippy than say a big old Ranger or big air craft carrier nitro. It has to be. But, the difference just isn’t enough to notice and make a difference. If that make sense. It’s not like you say to yourself “I can’t do this. I have to have glass because it is so much more noticeably stable”.

Jesus loves all of us
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide