Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Tactical Bassin [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #14093856 08/13/21 03:31 PM
Fence Guy Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Not sure how they came to prominence but I do like their channels. Lots of great content. However you can put the same complete setup ( lure, rod, reel, line) in two anglers hands in the same boat and one guy just isn’t going to catch. That’s just fishing. Confidence, personal touch, and focus is everything. You gotta learn from them but then find out how it works for you.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Tactical Bassin [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #14094326 08/13/21 09:29 PM
O
outfishdya Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
O
Some techniques work on some lakes, but not on others.

I can't get bit on Lewisville with a big spoon. I don't know anyone who can either.

Woke up this morning
Got yourself a gun....
Re: Tactical Bassin [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #14095153 08/14/21 06:08 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
TB guys post up some good stuff. Keep in mind that in a 20 min video, if you are talking about baits, showing underwater clips of the lure in action, showing rigging tips, you don't have to catch many fish to make it look like you crushed them.

All lures are tools. It is up to you to make sure you're not trying to use a phillips-head screwdriver when a 7 mm open end would work better for that particular situation. Those are the kind of things that only come with time spent on the water.

Re: Tactical Bassin [Re: Outdoordude] #14095574 08/15/21 02:19 AM
B
bockscar Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted by Outdoordude
I've had more success integrating tips they've shared on techniques/approaches/lures that I was already at least somewhat comfortable with than the ones that are totally new to me. And I'm sure that the tips that didn't work for me were due to my inexperience or mis-application more than it just not being sound advice. Their videos are great study material.

I think you nailed it when you mention "integrating" since I think that is key. Dont just do what they do cuz they do it.....do what they do.....in a situation (structure, cover, water temp, season etc) that youve encountered at your home lake or while out fishing. Then test that out to see if you have success.

For example....drop shot is the worst technique ever, but that thing gets bit. Not a flat worm fan or a senko fan while drop shotting and got tired of roboworm all the time. Watched their underwater videos where they were talking about the BBB smallie smashers....and just what they were saying about why they like the smallie smasher clicked in my head for being applicable to what I fish. And yup....drop shot still sucks...but those smallie smashers get bit like a mofo in my dirty water!

So its cool to just flat out experiment with something they mention that youve never considered....but not experiments succeed. But when you see those guys...pay attention when they fish something that youve encountered, and see how they approach it to try for yourself next time you approach a similar situation. Like was mentioned confidence is key......i think subconsciously we get to thinking "well if tacticalbassin is catching them in the exact scenario im in, then I can do it" where if youre trying something brand new that really doesnt jive with your conditions I think you have more of a "YOLO lets hope for the best" type feel while fishing it....and that confidence/perspective difference does make a difference imo.

I been skunked texas rigging a craw toooooooo many times, just to switch up to my confidence craw and end the skunk shortly after to not strongly believe confidence is key.

Originally Posted by Fence Guy
Not sure how they came to prominence but I do like their channels. Lots of great content. However you can put the same complete setup ( lure, rod, reel, line) in two anglers hands in the same boat and one guy just isn’t going to catch. That’s just fishing. Confidence, personal touch, and focus is everything. You gotta learn from them but then find out how it works for you.

they came to prominence by being big bait/swimbait guys from Cali who smashed DDs with seemingly no effort. got the haters that said they were "only big bait guys" and I think thats what lit the fire under TB for them to pivot to the videos they pump out now where its pretty much everything they cover.

Last edited by bockscar; 08/15/21 02:22 AM.
Re: Tactical Bassin [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #14095683 08/15/21 10:30 AM
D
Dogfish_Jones Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
D
“they came to prominence by being big bait/swimbait guys from Cali who smashed DDs with seemingly no effort. got the haters that said they were "only big bait guys"
———————————————————————-
Why is it if you find something you disagree or have a different opinion…you are now called a “hater”. Is this the new click word? Reminds me of people that are now called a racist because they might think giving trillions of dollars out to free loaders is a bad thing.
I have many different opinions or my take on things of people but I do not hate anything or anyone. Hate is a very strong word. I seriously don’t anyone really hates Tim and Matt.

Last edited by Dogfish_Jones; 08/15/21 10:32 AM.

2020 Nitro Z20, Mercury 250xp 4 stroke
"Sometimes I have to remind myself that it is called Fishing and not catching"
Re: Tactical Bassin [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #14095910 08/15/21 02:52 PM
B
bockscar Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted by Dogfish_Jones
“they came to prominence by being big bait/swimbait guys from Cali who smashed DDs with seemingly no effort. got the haters that said they were "only big bait guys"
———————————————————————-
Why is it if you find something you disagree or have a different opinion…you are now called a “hater”. Is this the new click word? Reminds me of people that are now called a racist because they might think giving trillions of dollars out to free loaders is a bad thing.
I have many different opinions or my take on things of people but I do not hate anything or anyone. Hate is a very strong word. I seriously don’t anyone really hates Tim and Matt.

Why is it that anytime you use the word "hater" people think that you are merely describing a difference of opinion? Does the word trigger some people too much because maybe they over generalize things and like to argue semantics?

When I say "haters that said they were only big bait guys" I didnt mean that there was any sort of difference of opinion or any form of disagreement. I mean that there was jealously, rumbling and smack talk that Tim and Matt were only able to catch fish on big swimbaits. Hate is a very strong word. What word do you feel is a better fit when people create rumors, talk smack and do things like that to discredit ones accomplishments since hater didnt do it for you?

Last edited by bockscar; 08/15/21 02:52 PM.
Re: Tactical Bassin [Re: bockscar] #14095982 08/15/21 04:01 PM
D
Dogfish_Jones Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
D
Originally Posted by bockscar
———————————————————————-

Why is it that anytime you use the word "hater" people think that you are merely describing a difference of opinion? Does the word trigger some people too much because maybe they over generalize things and like to argue semantics?

When I say "haters that said they were only big bait guys" I didnt mean that there was any sort of difference of opinion or any form of disagreement. I mean that there was jealously, rumbling and smack talk that Tim and Matt were only able to catch fish on big swimbaits. Hate is a very strong word. What word do you feel is a better fit when people create rumors, talk smack and do things like that to discredit ones accomplishments since hater didnt do it for you?

Dissent , differ, disagree, oppose, maybe…… hmmm

Last edited by Dogfish_Jones; 08/15/21 04:04 PM.

2020 Nitro Z20, Mercury 250xp 4 stroke
"Sometimes I have to remind myself that it is called Fishing and not catching"
Re: Tactical Bassin [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #14096065 08/15/21 05:34 PM
K
kirbydog Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
K
Something you need to remember with regards to throwing swimbaits-in California the primary forage on many lakes
are stocked rainbow trout. So swimbaits do a very good job of matching that forage. On Texas lakes you don't have that.

Re: Tactical Bassin [Re: kirbydog] #14096102 08/15/21 06:37 PM
Mark Perry Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
Originally Posted by kirbydog
Something you need to remember with regards to throwing swimbaits-in California the primary forage on many lakes
are stocked rainbow trout. So swimbaits do a very good job of matching that forage. On Texas lakes you don't have that.

Swimbaits are and have been one of the biggest sellers in Texas tackle shops and from online shops for the past 3-5 years. The numbers sold here are insane. They work extremely well in Texas. It's not just a out clear water, trout and West Coast any longer.

Re: Tactical Bassin [Re: Mark Perry] #14096196 08/15/21 08:30 PM
B
bockscar Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B

Dissent , differ, disagree, oppose, maybe…… hmmm

Whatever....youre just a hater!
roflmao

Originally Posted by Mark Perry
Originally Posted by kirbydog

Swimbaits are and have been one of the biggest sellers in Texas tackle shops and from online shops for the past 3-5 years. The numbers sold here are insane. They work extremely well in Texas. It's not just a out clear water, trout and West Coast any longer.

The tacticalbassin guys always say to use trout colors too like the lite trout because they will get bit. i know lots of guys still chuck hudds...and those things are trout imo. We are slowly evolving...especially when it comes to swimbaits. People like the TB guys were kinda on the cutting edge in that they were fishing it in places whre you wouldnt expect it to work

Re: Tactical Bassin [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #14096919 08/16/21 03:34 PM
1bassdaddy Offline
Angler
Angler
I've known Matt since he was a teenager and I've met Tim a couple of times when he worked for CA Fish and Game. Tim's background is definitely finesse tournament fishing but he is exceptionally adept at throwing swimbaits. Anyone who knows Matt personally or who has ever hired him as a guide knows he was never just a swimbait guy. He's one of the most proficient big bait guys on the water anywhere but he has a wide array of presentation skill sets and uses them all to catch truly large bass. His success throwing swimbaits on his home lake (before he moved) had nothing to do with CA trout plantings...Clear Lake has never seen a trout.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide