As a beginner fly tier, I buy cheap eagle claw plain shank hooks for my bass flies. one of the flies I tie and use the most is a small top water frog.

All i use is a size 4 plain shank eagle claw that i have to bend the hook so it is straight(they come offset).
foam sheet (from places like walmart) in the color you want. its about 1.5 mm thick (not sure exactly as it doesnt say on the tag)
some 210 denier thread to match your foam board
a rubber skirt i got from an old spinner bait(i use white)
and some 30 lb mono line for the weed guard.

i cut about a 3/4x 2 to 3 in strip of the foam. fold it over and cut out the shape of the frog leaving the folded part as the butt end and still attached to both sides. leave a skinny point end on the front where you will use to secure on to the hook.
then poke a hole in the middle of the folded part with my bodkin and put it on the hook and secure on the vise. fold back the foam to get it out of the way.
wrap shank with thread.

If not weed guard, skip this part. grab the 30 lb mono and cut a 4 inch piece and fold in half using plyers(you want that fold to stay). feed the folded part through the hole of the foam body(direction: from eye of hook to the bend). feed the bend of the mono through the clamps of the vise where the hook is so that the mono follows the bend of the hook. place bend over the eye so that the mono is around the shank by the eye. keep feeding the mono while keeping the tag ends on the shank of the hook until you think it would create enough of a gap for the weed guard, remove mono from eye while holding the tag ends on where they ended up after getting a good gap and attach the tags to the to shank with a few wraps(i use a dab of super glue after a few wraps and add a few more after). leave the bent part of the mono aside

then cut 1 piece of rubber skirt in half and attach 1 of the halves on each side folding over so that it has 2 pieces sticking out from each side.

fold the foam back to the front and secure the front skinny point close to the eye of hook.once secure, pull mono weed guard over eye and secure on shank. whip finish and add some glue.

added pic for finished product.

[Linked Image]

Note that in pic I used a single 50lb mono line for weed guard but kept coming off so went with one above. also doing some wraps on the bend of hook with the mono helped it stay in place better.

hope this helps for an easy frog smile tight lines!

Last edited by ps1135; 10/25/21 02:12 PM.