Forums59
Topics1,039,357
Posts13,963,333
Members144,201
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
Re: USA Women's Gymnastics [Re: Patriot Guard Rider] #14075058 07/27/21 07:59 PM
U
UTDmiller Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
U
Originally Posted by Patriot Guard Rider
Originally Posted by UTDmiller
She did the right thing if she was worried about making another mistake in her routine. If she mentally was struggling, stepping aside and letting another professional perform who is ready to go gives the team a better chance to win. Have to do whats best for the team in a team event, and if thats what she truly felt was best then good on her

If you're the GOAT in your sport, then you suck it up and go out there and make a perfect score, because that's what you do.

A few of her quotes (from USA Today article):

"I was still struggling with some things."

'Sometimes it's hard'

Whenever you get in high-stress situations, you kind of freak out and don’t really know how to handle all of those emotions especially at the Olympic Games."

That just hurts my heart that doing what I love has been kind of taken away from me to please other people.

It's been a long week. It's been a long Olympic process. It's been a long year.

"So it's OK sometimes to even sit out the big competitions to focus on yourself, because it shows how strong of a competitor and person that you really are, rather than just battle through it."

"I'm in the docuseries that I'm filming. I have an incredible team. I love everybody who I work with and the people around me, but it's just like at the end of the day, we're putting content out. So I don't want to put anything out there that people wouldn't view as nice."

A lot of "me, and I" in there, so I'm not really sure she's thinking about the team at all. That last one about filming for her docuseries kind of sums it up. "So I don't want to put anything out there that people wouldn't view as nice."

But at the end of the day if shes going to go out there and screw up because she cant handle the pressure its better she lets the alternate thats ready to handle it go. Its easy to say, just go out there and suck it up, but if she determined she couldnt then would we prefer she goes out there and chokes? We can all sit her and dog her for what she did, but why? whats the point.

edit: Maybe this means shes not the "goat" afterall

Last edited by UTDmiller; 07/27/21 08:04 PM.

John Miller
Re: USA Women's Gymnastics [Re: T Bird] #14075071 07/27/21 08:10 PM
H
HasBen Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
H
Kerri Strug is probably smiling and shaking her head some where out there.

“There’s no such thing as too much horsepower, just not enough traction”…..Carroll Shelby
Re: USA Women's Gymnastics [Re: T Bird] #14075074 07/27/21 08:13 PM
Nocona Brian Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Ol Jones said it pretty good. Who's gonna fill their shoes?

LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum
Re: USA Women's Gymnastics [Re: T Bird] #14075092 07/27/21 08:29 PM
T
Trickster Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
T
I don't even know where my headspace is...or if I ever had one.

Re: USA Women's Gymnastics [Re: T Bird] #14075093 07/27/21 08:29 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Offline
Jr Deputy Dan
Jr Deputy Dan
Being great in Athletics is often as mental as physical. Any Champion or amateur athlete can tell you that.

She is not mentally strong enough...so not the goat and not OT hard.

If she wanted to opt out of the individual competitions I would say that's just fine, but she let her team down... Not because of a injury or because she gave her very best and came up short. She quit her team. The Russians got gold because of her selfish choice.

I guess when you have celebrity and millions of dollars quitting is always an option. Most of us regular guys who have some success in life don't consider quitting an option. Especially if quitting means giving up on your team. Whether your team is your coworkers, employees, friends, family, your community you don't quit on them. She quit on her team and on her country and on her fans.

It's shameful and embarrassing. Honestly I thought she was a cool person, a tremendous athlete in an excellent role model. Not sure that's all true anymore.

Re: USA Women's Gymnastics [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #14075095 07/27/21 08:32 PM
Bigbob_FTW Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮
Being great in Athletics is often as mental as physical. Any Champion or amateur athlete can tell you that.

If she wanted to opt out of the individual competitions I would say that's just fine, but she let her team down... Not because of a injury or because she gave her very best and came up short. She quit her team. The Russians got gold because of her selfish choice.

I guess when you have celebrity and millions of dollars quitting is always an option. Most of us regular guys who have some success in life don't consider quitting an option.

It's shameful and embarrassing and honestly I thought she was a cool person, a tremendous athlete in an excellent role model. Not sure that's all true anymore.

Very well said!

[Linked Image][Linked Image] FJB
Re: USA Women's Gymnastics [Re: T Bird] #14075102 07/27/21 08:36 PM
Beak47 Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Her therapist must have missed his flight so she was a mental mess! give me a break! This is what she worked for all these years!

Hardcore Texan
Re: USA Women's Gymnastics [Re: T Bird] #14075129 07/27/21 08:56 PM
J
Jpurdue Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
If it doesn't have an offense and a defense, it's not a sport. What you have there is a hobby. Skateboarding, power walking, shot put, gymnastics, fishing, these are hobbies people have. Solo Synchronized Swimming was on the docket back in the 90's. Say what?

I've never understood the economics or the the time and effort that goes into who's the best at jumping around on a balance beam. Sometimes entertaining to watch though.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: USA Women's Gymnastics [Re: Jpurdue] #14075135 07/27/21 09:05 PM
BCBassCat Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Jpurdue
If it doesn't have an offense and a defense, it's not a sport. What you have there is a hobby. Skateboarding, power walking, shot put, gymnastics, fishing, these are hobbies people have. Solo Synchronized Swimming was on the docket back in the 90's. Say what?

I've never understood the economics or the the time and effort that goes into who's the best at jumping around on a balance beam. Sometimes entertaining to watch though.

What about golf? and competitive wanking?

Re: USA Women's Gymnastics [Re: HasBen] #14075141 07/27/21 09:07 PM
D
dkershen Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Originally Posted by HasBen
Kerri Strug is probably smiling and shaking her head some where out there.

Exactly. She's sitting there thinking.... Sweat dries, blood clots, bones heal. Suck-it-up buttercup.

Re: USA Women's Gymnastics [Re: Patriot Guard Rider] #14075145 07/27/21 09:10 PM
Duck_Hunter Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Patriot Guard Rider
So the "World's Greatest Gymnyst of All Time" QUIT on her team, because she wasn't in the right headspace. Welcome to the snowflake society.

It’s a little more complicated than that.

She was going to retire, but she stayed on the team to see the Larry Nassar case through, because she felt it would lend more credence if an active gymnast was testifying against him.

The judges are sandbagging her scores by not giving her the difficulty scores she should receive. One guess as to why is because she is doing things that are so complicated they’re afraid other competitors will try things they’re not good enough to do, just to be competitive, which could have terrible results. Another guess is, she’s so much better than everyone else and the stunts she’s attempting are so complicated, that are trying to make it more interesting by having her scores be somewhat close to the competition.

And yesterday, something was clearly wrong with her. She almost missed the vault and almost ran off the floor during her floor routine. She cost the team a gold yesterday, and by stepping down, she allowed them to at least win silver. It would be similar to a pitcher knowing he doesn’t have his stuff and telling his coach as such after giving up three runs in an inning.

Now, I will say that “I’m not in the right headspace” sounds ridiculous. I wouldn’t call her a snowflake, but I’m not exactly sure how the most dominant gymnast probably ever doesn’t have her A game in the Olympics. But I’d rather her step back for the good of the team, especially when she could easily end up paralyzed based on how bad she was yesterday.

[Linked Image]
Re: USA Women's Gymnastics [Re: Bigbob_FTW] #14075148 07/27/21 09:11 PM
Patriot Guard Rider Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Bigbob_FTW
Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮

I guess when you have celebrity and millions of dollars quitting is always an option. Most of us regular guys who have some success in life don't consider quitting an option.

It's shameful and embarrassing and honestly I thought she was a cool person, a tremendous athlete in an excellent role model. Not sure that's all true anymore.

Very well said!

Yes it was and much better explained that I did when I called her a quitter.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Family is everything!

Life is precious. We don’t have forever. We have now. This moment. We can choose to love our lives now.

Re: USA Women's Gymnastics [Re: T Bird] #14075149 07/27/21 09:11 PM
K
KidKrappie Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
I didn't know there were so many Olympians here that knows what it feels like to be in her shoes.... Now I know

Re: USA Women's Gymnastics [Re: SteezMacQueen] #14075151 07/27/21 09:13 PM
Duck_Hunter Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
She doesn’t want to admit she doesn’t stand a chance at winning.

Unless this is sarcasm, it’s the silliest post I’ve seen in a long time she hasn’t lost since like 2013. She was the heavy favorite by far and is doing things male gymnasts can’t even do. She’s in another stratosphere.

[Linked Image]
Re: USA Women's Gymnastics [Re: T Bird] #14075186 07/27/21 09:36 PM
S
Sawhorse Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
Well, that’s the outcome of giving AF what other people think of you. If she’d abandon all sense of worthiness and dignity...just be herself and let her freak flag fly, she’d be fine.

Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide