Forums59
Topics1,039,379
Posts13,963,616
Members144,202
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Who takes care of the finances in your household? [Re: Sawhorse] #14002932 05/19/21 02:21 AM
Westside. Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Sawhorse
Who?

Not Brad

Re: Who takes care of the finances in your household? [Re: Jpurdue] #14002941 05/19/21 02:30 AM
G
grandbassslayer Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
G
Group effort. Wife pays the day to day bills, but I tend to have a more big picture approach and she handles the details.

Re: Who takes care of the finances in your household? [Re: Westside.] #14003004 05/19/21 03:39 AM
S
Sawhorse Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by Westside.
Originally Posted by Sawhorse
Who?

Not Brad

roflmao

Re: Who takes care of the finances in your household? [Re: Jpurdue] #14003023 05/19/21 04:11 AM
O
outfishdya Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
O
My wife is a finance manager, she makes more than I do. She bought my boat. She controls our money. I have no issues with our arrangement. I dig through her clothes for spare cash when I do her laundry so I can fill up the boat. This is normal, right?

Woke up this morning
Got yourself a gun....
Re: Who takes care of the finances in your household? [Re: Jpurdue] #14003029 05/19/21 04:21 AM
C
Cmack Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
She does, we spent the first 35 years of marriage with me being gone chasing the oilfield all over the world. It was by necessity that she did it, When I retired, I could see no reason to mess with a system that works. If I want something I simply ask her "can we afford this car/truck/boat/gun/etc" and so far she's always told me to go for it. Ain't knocking success.

Re: Who takes care of the finances in your household? [Re: SteezMacQueen] #14003030 05/19/21 04:25 AM
S
Scagnetti Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Our Butler.

Our “Butler” is our bank. We have everything setup on auto draft. Haven’t been late on anything in over 25 years. It’s nice to not worry about the day to day and month to month stuff. We send a set amount to savings each month, then rest we blow on whatever.

Maybe not the best way, but it works.

Me too.

I don’t understand why more people don’t do this.

I get ONE bill a month that I can’t set up on auto draft and I always have a several hundred credit balance, that I fund a few times a year, in that account, so I don’t have to worry about it

[Linked Image]

Re: Who takes care of the finances in your household? [Re: Scagnetti] #14003079 05/19/21 10:17 AM
Hard Rain Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Scagnetti
Our Butler.

Our “Butler” is our bank. We have everything setup on auto draft. Haven’t been late on anything in over 25 years. It’s nice to not worry about the day to day and month to month stuff. We send a set amount to savings each month, then rest we blow on whatever.

Maybe not the best way, but it works.

Me too.

I don’t understand why more people don’t do this.

I get ONE bill a month that I can’t set up on auto draft and I always have a several hundred credit balance, that I fund a few times a year, in that account, so I don’t have to worry about it

I guess we are old school we have a couple that have to be auto draft but for everything else just pay thru BOA online banking and avoid auto draft. Not that many anyway since everything is paid for. We do charge everything we can and pay off each month to get the free points.

Re: Who takes care of the finances in your household? [Re: B-rader] #14003105 05/19/21 11:12 AM
Billy Blazer 300 HPDI Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Brad Hardt
Billy, to have a score thst high ypu had alot of debt i would think. Not saying I'm right, just thinking out loud

It doesn’t work that way. It means you have very good record of pay with a really low debt to income ratio.

Thanks, Billy
Re: Who takes care of the finances in your household? [Re: BCBassCat] #14003115 05/19/21 11:31 AM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Originally Posted by BCBassCat
Originally Posted by Samsonsworld
We do. I earn it, she spends it.

Same

Bingo, I keep her under control by the way I disperse it., I consider the money I put it in the checking account she uses gone the minute it goes in there. I keep another checking account that she has to ask me for. Big purchases. I disperse money for investments directly to broker so she has no clue on that other than when she sees a statement I leave laying around. I keep alot of cash in bussines account where she cant touch it and I trickle it in as needed. My wife can spend with the best if them........ all personal bills are on autodraft because paying them would interfere with her shopping time.

Re: Who takes care of the finances in your household? [Re: Duck_Hunter] #14003138 05/19/21 11:59 AM
J
Jpurdue Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter
Originally Posted by Jpurdue
I'm considering the idea of firing my wife from paying the bills. Not sure that will go over well. She started working again a few months ago for the first time in 8 years. Since then I've been on the phone a half dozen times asking various credit card companies to waive late fees. Money isn't our problem, her remembering to pay the bills seems to be the issue. To be fair to her she did a pretty solid job until she started this new job and got wicked busy. I have OT time, so I probably have time to do the bills. Also to be fair to her we have complicated finances. My strategy while she wasn't working was to have her pay the bills so she felt involved and had a better sense of the magnitude of the cash flows each direction.

Why not setup auto pay and then check once a month to make sure there isn’t a problem with one of them? Then you’ll never miss a payment, and also won’t have something crazy happen, like a credit card linked to a bill expiring, or the biller dropping some massive fee on you, etc.

The strategy up to this point has been to keep the checking account low, so we feel broke. Basically income gets direct deposited into a single checking account, then gets auto transferred to about 15 other accounts. "Mortgage fund, vacation fund, auto fund, kids college fund, savings, investments, emergency savings, home repair, taxes, etc..." Those accounts always have what they need and you never have to worry about them running low. The main checking account however, it can run dangerously low some times. Hence the artificial feeling of being broke. If we set up autodrafts on the credit cards out of that account we absolutely would over draft sometimes. It's worked okayish over the years, but requires significant manual intervention. I wanted to hear how other folks do it, hence this thread. It may be time for a change. I'm going to give the full autodraft thing some thought.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Who takes care of the finances in your household? [Re: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI] #14003175 05/19/21 12:23 PM
B
Bob Davis Online Content
Bunkeroid Bob
Online Content
Bunkeroid Bob
B
Originally Posted by Billy Blazer 300 HPDI
Originally Posted by Brad Hardt
Billy, to have a score thst high ypu had alot of debt i would think. Not saying I'm right, just thinking out loud

It doesn’t work that way. It means you have very good record of pay with a really low debt to income ratio.

This ^^^^^

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Re: Who takes care of the finances in your household? [Re: Jpurdue] #14003179 05/19/21 12:25 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Offline
Jr Deputy Dan
Jr Deputy Dan
Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter
I'm considering the idea of firing my wife from paying the bills. Not sure that will go over well. She started working again a few months ago for the first time in 8 years. Since then I've been on the phone a half dozen times asking various credit card companies to waive late fees. Money isn't our problem, her remembering to pay the bills seems to be the issue. To be fair to her she did a pretty solid job until she started this new job and got wicked busy. I have OT time, so I probably have time to do the bills. Also to be fair to her we have complicated finances. My strategy while she wasn't working was to have her pay the bills so she felt involved and had a better sense of the magnitude of the cash flows each direction.

Why not setup auto pay and then check once a month to make sure there isn’t a problem with one of them? Then you’ll never miss a payment, and also won’t have something crazy happen, like a credit card linked to a bill expiring, or the biller dropping some massive fee on you, etc.

The strategy up to this point has been to keep the checking account low, so we feel broke. Basically income gets direct deposited into a single checking account, then gets auto transferred to about 15 other accounts. "Mortgage fund, vacation fund, auto fund, kids college fund, savings, investments, emergency savings, home repair, taxes, etc..." Those accounts always have what they need and you never have to worry about them running low. The main checking account however, it can run dangerously low some times. Hence the artificial feeling of being broke. If we set up autodrafts on the credit cards out of that account we absolutely would over draft sometimes. It's worked okayish over the years, but requires significant manual intervention. I wanted to hear how other folks do it, hence this thread. It may be time for a change. I'm going to give the full autodraft thing some thought.

That's really complicating something that's not that hard...

I'd revisit this plan... KISS

Re: Who takes care of the finances in your household? [Re: Jpurdue] #14003223 05/19/21 01:00 PM
M
Monty Wright Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
M
We both do. A lot of them are auto-drafted. We're on the same checking account, savings account, mortgage, vehicles, all of it. Both of us.

[Linked Image]

Half Past First Cast
^^^Worth a look^^^
Re: Who takes care of the finances in your household? [Re: Jpurdue] #14003247 05/19/21 01:11 PM
T
Topwater2 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
My wife works and takes care of the finances. I'm retired and I take care of the cooking, cleaning, and fishing. I'm a spoiled old man!!

FishKen
Re: Who takes care of the finances in your household? [Re: Jpurdue] #14003265 05/19/21 01:19 PM
B
BassFever Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Me, Myself and I

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide