Forums59
Topics1,039,351
Posts13,963,259
Members144,201
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Running wires for LED navigation lights [Re: Stump jumper] #14041864 06/24/21 02:34 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Even if the brightness/dimness was within spec (there are limits in both directions), the requirement is a beam range of 112.5 degrees from the centerline of the boat. So, not only must each beam not cross the centerline, it must also not go more than 12.5 degrees past being at a right angle to the keel. That's generally impossible to achieve without a glare shield designed as part of the fixture to meet the 112.5 degree requirement. Even then (with a properly designed lamp housing) the fixture must be mounted such that it is parallel to the keel of the boat so that the 112.5 degree swath of light lines up where it is supposed to be. I'm fairly sure you'll never accomplish this with a DIY approach using a fixture that isn't USCG approved.

Some newer bass boats now have lamp fixtures "built-in" to the hull. If you look at those, they are most often inset on a mounting surface molded to be parallel to the keel (or possibly at a right angle to the keel depending on the fixture design). They avoid picking a spot on the curved hull that would be tedious to get accurate every time by making this special mounting spot for the fixture. That's why they can do it successfully while you probably can't. In addition, there's that thing about the requirement to be USCG approved. While a state warden might not know any better, you do put yourself at some level of risk in another way. If you were unfortunate enough to be involved in a nighttime accident, the attorney for the other side will use the fact that you had "illegal lighting equipment" against you in civil court. In an accident case involving criminal prosecution, the state might suddenly care also - even though you never got a ticket from the game warden.

Re: Running wires for LED navigation lights [Re: Stump jumper] #14041967 06/24/21 04:07 PM
H
Holzer Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
H
Lot's of sound technical data you've provided Flippin-Out.
And not disagreeing with any of it, as I'll be honest, I don't know the fine print of the rule to argue one way or another.

But I'll say this,
I've been boating now for 21 years. I believe that I can honestly say that every single one of my "close calls" of an accident while at night has been a result of some dumb SOB with NO lights while on the water. So with that said, me personally, I'll take my chances with having working lights in a position that works best for my application rather than lights that are installed exactly at the 112.5 degree mark.

Not picking a fight. And certainly can't disagree that some high price lawyer might get the upper hand one day. But just saying, I'll take my chances.

Holzer
My pic is gone frown
Re: Running wires for LED navigation lights [Re: Stump jumper] #14042368 06/24/21 09:58 PM
T
Topwater2 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
[Linked Image]

This what my illegal lights look like. I installed them into the rub rail about 5 years ago. No issues.......yet.

FishKen
Re: Running wires for LED navigation lights [Re: Stump jumper] #14042372 06/24/21 10:07 PM
Huckleberry Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Those are nice illegal lights! I can see them much better than the legal ones!

Last edited by Huckleberry; 06/24/21 10:08 PM.
Re: Running wires for LED navigation lights [Re: Topwater2] #14042382 06/24/21 10:15 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted by Topwater2
[Linked Image]

This what my illegal lights look like. I installed them into the rub rail about 5 years ago. No issues.......yet.

That photo is taken from a view on one side of the centerline of the boat. Do you not get that from such an angle, both lamps should NEVER be visible? They should only both be visible from "dead ahead" which means straight in front of the centerline of the boat. That is why the housing of the plug in fixtures are made the way they are. The whole purpose of having two lamp colors and placing them as required seems to escape virtually all of you. While you may not be getting tickets from the game warden, you're just as clueless as him as to what the lamp placement does.

Example: If I'm on your left, I should only be able to see a red light. But, if I see both, you are coming toward me, and that's no longer true with the stupid rigging on the alum. boat shown. While I'm really on the left, I'd be led to believe you're coming toward me because I see both lights. Because the lights face forward so much, you might be passing across in front of me, and I not see any light! Yes, that's a fine installation!

Re: Running wires for LED navigation lights [Re: Huckleberry] #14042386 06/24/21 10:17 PM
T
Topwater2 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
Originally Posted by Huckleberry

Thanks!! Just installed the LED stern light, visible for 2 miles.

FishKen
Re: Running wires for LED navigation lights [Re: Topwater2] #14042398 06/24/21 10:32 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F

Thanks!! Just installed the LED stern light, visible for 2 miles.

So you installed a Masthead light also? A Stern Light alone is INSUFFICIENT to meet USCG regulations.

Re: Running wires for LED navigation lights [Re: Flippin-Out] #14043126 06/25/21 05:40 PM
Huckleberry Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Flippin-Out
[Linked Image]

That photo is taken from a view on one side of the centerline of the boat. Do you not get that from such an angle, both lamps should NEVER be visible? They should only both be visible from "dead ahead" which means straight in front of the centerline of the boat. That is why the housing of the plug in fixtures are made the way they are. The whole purpose of having two lamp colors and placing them as required seems to escape virtually all of you. While you may not be getting tickets from the game warden, you're just as clueless as him as to what the lamp placement does.

Example: If I'm on your left, I should only be able to see a red light. But, if I see both, you are coming toward me, and that's no longer true with the stupid rigging on the alum. boat shown. While I'm really on the left, I'd be led to believe you're coming toward me because I see both lights. Because the lights face forward so much, you might be passing across in front of me, and I not see any light! Yes, that's a fine installation!

The red light is larger than the green thus this should tell you that he is not coming towards you. fish

Re: Running wires for LED navigation lights [Re: Huckleberry] #14043643 06/26/21 03:32 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted by Flippin-Out
[Linked Image]

The red light is larger than the green thus this should tell you that he is not coming towards you. fish

That's not exactly how the "rules of the road" on the water are supposed to work - but one sure wouldn't know it by reading the entire body "knowledge" amassed on TFF on this subject matter. The endless ways that the clueless think they are "making their lighting better" are often dangerous in that they wreck the intended way the mechanics of the rules for lighting are supposed to work. The "redneck imagination" is getting out of hand; I can only hope TPWD decides to deal with this one day. When I spoke with them, they did acknowledge it was becoming an issue, likely fueled by the easy availability of LED light strips, and those who sell them without knowledge (or possibly concern) for the issue they are contributing to.

Re: Running wires for LED navigation lights [Re: Stump jumper] #14046337 06/29/21 12:51 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
So…..did you figure out how to WIRE the LED nav lights, yet? roflmao

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Running wires for LED navigation lights [Re: SteezMacQueen] #14046605 06/29/21 04:12 PM
T
Topwater2 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
So…..did you figure out how to WIRE the LED nav lights, yet? roflmao

If so, please post pics!

FishKen
Re: Running wires for LED navigation lights [Re: Stump jumper] #14046883 06/29/21 07:29 PM
T
txmasterpo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
T
eek2 bang whip

http://www.trccovers.com

"I am large, I contain multitudes."

Walt Whitman
Re: Running wires for LED navigation lights [Re: Stump jumper] #14046888 06/29/21 07:34 PM
Huckleberry Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Are LED strip lights legal?

Re: Running wires for LED navigation lights [Re: Huckleberry] #14046905 06/29/21 07:45 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Are LED strip lights legal?

This was discussed earlier in the thread. I've never seen any that are. There are many reasons that they aren't I won't repeat/explain here. While some individual wardens may not bother you about it (at the moment), senior officials in Austin (TPWD Boating Enforcement Division) have told me they are not, and that a citation may result.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide