Forums59
Topics1,039,320
Posts13,962,817
Members144,199
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Lets talk about the color red....on hooks 🤔 [Re: txmasterpo] #13991182 05/09/21 09:27 PM
E
ezbassin Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
E
Originally Posted by txmasterpo
Originally Posted by ezbassin
Red turns gray after so many feet down....depending on light penetration

I don't use them though and other than watermelon red I don't throw red plastic

Have you actually seen that, or just guessing??????? I have caught fish in 28 ft of water on a redbug shad worm so whatever color is seems to them it still works. You are loosing out if you don't think red soft plastics work. I use redbug, redbug shad, cherry seed and red shad all the time and catch fish on them. If you choose to believe red doesn't work that is up to you. LOL just keep believing that.

I just made that ish up huh??

"The longest wavelengths, with the lowest energy, are absorbed first. Red is the first to be absorbed, followed by orange & yellow. The colors disappear underwater in the same order as they appear in the color spectrum. Even water at 5ft depth will have a noticeable loss of red."

It's common knowledge I thought......I also didn't say one word about working or not working....just said that I don't throw much red.....

Well I guess no one told the bass that red is the first color to "disappear" fairly quickly because they bite it very well in deep water.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Lets talk about the color red....on hooks 🤔 [Re: bockscar] #13991213 05/09/21 10:02 PM
R
Richard McCarty Offline
Angler
Angler
R
A bass has a brain the size of a pea. We have a brain considerably bigger. In fishing, our brain tends to induce magical powers into a fishes brain. I personally never let color get in my head, as it’s the least important factor in catching fish.

Re: Lets talk about the color red....on hooks 🤔 [Re: Richard McCarty] #13991277 05/09/21 11:23 PM
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Richard McCarty
A bass has a brain the size of a pea. We have a brain considerably bigger. In fishing, our brain tends to induce magical powers into a fishes brain. I personally never let color get in my head, as it’s the least important factor in catching fish.

Amen. Find feeding fish and they will bite a Chicken Nugget.
roflmao

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Lets talk about the color red....on hooks 🤔 [Re: Richard McCarty] #13991437 05/10/21 01:52 AM
B
bockscar Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B

So i somewhat agree...but also definitely disagree.

Have you ever not been getting bit and throw the same bait but a different color and got bit right away, if not the next cast....even if its as minor as going from a GP senko to a watermelon senko? Ive done that several times, and im sold that color CAN make a difference. What I will agree with you on is bass arent smart....and basically we are projecting our human understanding of colors on to them....when its not like that at all in their brain...in my opinion.

i do feel color makes a difference....but its not the most important thing for sure, that I do agree with. I paint crankbaits and have theories on painting, colors and how they can affect the bite. I feel its not so much the actual color that makes a difference...but instead the subtle differences in flash that are different depending on the color or way a pattern is painted. For example, i forgot which pro but he mentioned using a sharpie to put vertical lines on crankbaits just because he thought the vertical lines gave off a bluegill look and got bit in certain conditions better just cuz of the vertical lines.

So im not saying this color is better than the other...but for sure there is a subtle differnce in the flash depending on colors. For example if you look at my perch crankbaits I posted in the "building lures" subforum it looks like one or 2 colors....but i used about 5 different yellows, blacks and browns. when you look up you can see the subtle shading. It might not make a difference...but i do feel the slight changes in shading look different in the flash the fish sees as its being fish.

All this is personal opinion tho, and we could debate all day....but I do really feel that color can make a difference.

Re: Lets talk about the color red....on hooks 🤔 [Re: ezbassin] #13991511 05/10/21 02:46 AM
T
txmasterpo Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
T
Red turns gray after so many feet down....depending on light penetration

I don't use them though and other than watermelon red I don't throw red plastic

Have you actually seen that, or just guessing??????? I have caught fish in 28 ft of water on a redbug shad worm so whatever color is seems to them it still works. You are loosing out if you don't think red soft plastics work. I use redbug, redbug shad, cherry seed and red shad all the time and catch fish on them. If you choose to believe red doesn't work that is up to you. LOL just keep believing that.

I just made that ish up huh??

"The longest wavelengths, with the lowest energy, are absorbed first. Red is the first to be absorbed, followed by orange & yellow. The colors disappear underwater in the same order as they appear in the color spectrum. Even water at 5ft depth will have a noticeable loss of red."

It's common knowledge I thought......I also didn't say one word about working or not working....just said that I don't throw much red.....

Well I guess no one told the bass that red is the first color to "disappear" fairly quickly because they bite it very well in deep water.

The bait doesn't disappear.....it just doesn't look red....looks different shades of gray

http://www.trccovers.com

"I am large, I contain multitudes."

Walt Whitman
Re: Lets talk about the color red....on hooks 🤔 [Re: bockscar] #13991676 05/10/21 12:26 PM
R
Richard McCarty Offline
Angler
Angler
R
Originally Posted by bockscar

Have you ever not been getting bit and throw the same bait but a different color and got bit right away, if not the next cast....even if its as minor as going from a GP senko to a watermelon senko? Ive done that several times, and im sold that color CAN make a difference. What I will agree with you on is bass arent smart....and basically we are projecting our human understanding of colors on to them....when its not like that at all in their brain...in my opinion.

i do feel color makes a difference....but its not the most important thing for sure, that I do agree with. I paint crankbaits and have theories on painting, colors and how they can affect the bite. I feel its not so much the actual color that makes a difference...but instead the subtle differences in flash that are different depending on the color or way a pattern is painted. For example, i forgot which pro but he mentioned using a sharpie to put vertical lines on crankbaits just because he thought the vertical lines gave off a bluegill look and got bit in certain conditions better just cuz of the vertical lines.

So im not saying this color is better than the other...but for sure there is a subtle differnce in the flash depending on colors. For example if you look at my perch crankbaits I posted in the "building lures" subforum it looks like one or 2 colors....but i used about 5 different yellows, blacks and browns. when you look up you can see the subtle shading. It might not make a difference...but i do feel the slight changes in shading look different in the flash the fish sees as its being fish.

All this is personal opinion tho, and we could debate all day....but I do really feel that color can make a difference.

Re: Lets talk about the color red....on hooks 🤔 [Re: bockscar] #13991680 05/10/21 12:29 PM
R
Richard McCarty Offline
Angler
Angler
R
Read my post. Nowhere did I say color didn’t matter. I said that I don’t allow color to get in my head, as I think it’s the least important factor in catching fish. In my entire career, I’ve never seen it make a significant difference.

Re: Lets talk about the color red....on hooks 🤔 [Re: bockscar] #13992311 05/10/21 09:41 PM
E
ezbassin Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
E

I agree. Sometimes they will bite any color you throw, sometimes not. I have done exactly what you said, fish a particular bait with little luck then switch to the same bait in a different color, throw it to the same area and get bit. Bass have very good color vision. I have a top 5 colors that I use most of the time and I see which they bite best that day. Color choice can also depend on water clarity and if it is sunny or cloudy.

Last edited by ezbassin; 05/10/21 09:43 PM.
Re: Lets talk about the color red....on hooks 🤔 [Re: bockscar] #13992318 05/10/21 09:48 PM
T
txmasterpo Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
T
if I am going to listen to anyone on this thread, it is going to be Richard.......and I got a strong feeling that Fork bass can always see black and blue wink

http://www.trccovers.com

"I am large, I contain multitudes."

Walt Whitman
Re: Lets talk about the color red....on hooks 🤔 [Re: ezbassin] #13992374 05/10/21 10:33 PM
B
bockscar Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B

I agree. Sometimes they will bite any color you throw, sometimes not. I have done exactly what you said, fish a particular bait with little luck then switch to the same bait in a different color, throw it to the same area and get bit. Bass have very good color vision. I have a top 5 colors that I use most of the time and I see which they bite best that day. Color choice can also depend on water clarity and if it is sunny or cloudy.

The one that ive also had good luck doing and its also happened a handful of times is when fishing a senko. about 90% of the time im throwing a green pumpkin senko...and the thing ive done the change and got bit thing to was dipping the tail in some chartreuese dipping dye. Im throwing Green Pumpking about 90% of the time....but I still have a boat full of plastics that arent green pumpkin just like im sure every one of us does. Might not be the biggest deal...but I do feel color plays a role. Verdicts still out on the worm hooks for me...but im definitely gonna try the trebles out

Re: Lets talk about the color red....on hooks 🤔 [Re: bockscar] #13992471 05/11/21 12:04 AM
E
ezbassin Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
E
Ok, then, I have a question. Not trying to start an argument or a debate, its just a question and just wondering. Those of you that think color plays a very small part in catching bass, how many of you only have one color hard bait, (any type of hard bait) and only one color soft plastic (any type of soft plastic} in just one color in your boat?? If you have more than that, then obviously color does make a difference, even to you, otherwise you would not need any other color. Correct??

As far as red hooks, I tried them for a short while, actually not long enough to tell a difference over regular hooks but I did not like the way the red coating came off so easily and now you have a gold hook. They also did not seem as sharp as that standard ones so I quit trying them out.

Last edited by ezbassin; 05/11/21 12:33 AM.
Re: Lets talk about the color red....on hooks 🤔 [Re: ezbassin] #13992835 05/11/21 06:05 AM
B
bockscar Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Ok, then, I have a question. Not trying to start an argument or a debate, its just a question and just wondering. Those of you that think color plays a very small part in catching bass, how many of you only have one color hard bait, (any type of hard bait) and only one color soft plastic (any type of soft plastic} in just one color in your boat?? If you have more than that, then obviously color does make a difference, even to you, otherwise you would not need any other color. Correct??

As far as red hooks, I tried them for a short while, actually not long enough to tell a difference over regular hooks but I did not like the way the red coating came off so easily and now you have a gold hook. They also did not seem as sharp as that standard ones so I quit trying them out.

Yea, i was thinking the same as you. Didnt wanna bring it up since I got a borderline defensive reply when I tried to discuss it tho! LOL I get that perspective too...because I honestly am not exaggerating when I say I throw green pumpkin about 90% of the time. I have a couple patterns I really like on my cranks too, that end up getting grabbed often.....BUT, Ive changed from a GP senko to a watermelon or chart dipped tail and changed my DT6 color after not getting bit....and then getting bit right after one too many times to think that color makes no difference.

The Senko change is what really drives my idea on color, flash and tones....and how they can really make a difference in certain situations. GP and watermelon senkos arent very far off in color aside from the black vs red flake....but im telling you ive not been bit on a GP senko and then change to a watermelon one only to get bit the next cast or a few casts later in the same spot the GP was not getting bit.

Re: Lets talk about the color red....on hooks 🤔 [Re: bockscar] #13992919 05/11/21 11:45 AM
R
Richard McCarty Offline
Angler
Angler
R
I really don’t think anybody can make a legitimate argument for or against the question about bass and color. For me, it’s about water clarity, and if a bait is too subtle, or too loud. I simply don’t let specifics like flake or tail dipping get in my head. If I did, and I ran out of “the color they wanted”, I’d have to load my boat and just go home.

Re: Lets talk about the color red....on hooks 🤔 [Re: Richard McCarty] #13993277 05/11/21 04:08 PM
B
bockscar Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
I really don’t think anybody can make a legitimate argument for or against the question about bass and color. For me, it’s about water clarity, and if a bait is too subtle, or too loud. I simply don’t let specifics like flake or tail dipping get in my head. If I did, and I ran out of “the color they wanted”, I’d have to load my boat and just go home.

ok

Re: Lets talk about the color red....on hooks 🤔 [Re: bockscar] #13993289 05/11/21 04:13 PM
T
Teeners boat Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
I use Owner 3/0 offset worm hooks, black finish. Never have an issue. Have tried many brands & Owners are the best in my opinion. Gamagatsu is 2nd choice. Tro-Kar I wouldn't use if they were free. Way way way over rated.

Reality. What a concept!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide