Forums59
Topics1,039,978
Posts13,973,543
Members144,227
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: How bad did Ercot drop the ball... [Re: Squirrely Dan] #13901593 02/25/21 02:33 PM
machinist Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Having spent 35 years working at gas fired power plants, I can say that the damage caused by a low frequency blackout would probably take a couple of months to repair. The biggest problem in trying to repair things is parts availability. None of the plants keep any inventory on hand like they did 25 or 30 years ago. Next would be the manpower. Knowledgable people are not standing on the curb waiting on a job and every plant would need them.
I talked to the control operator at the plant where I worked about 15 minutes after the power went off and he was still so shook up he could hardly talk. And this guy has been a control operator for 20 years and has just about seen it all.

Last edited by machinist; 02/25/21 02:34 PM.

I fish on the edge and stay out of the middle

99 BassCat Jag w/225 Merc Optimax
Retired TXU Outage Manager
Re: How bad did Ercot drop the ball... [Re: COFF] #13901603 02/25/21 02:39 PM
J
Jpurdue Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by COFF
I'm not sure I understand how low frequency could cause the system to crash.

Here's my guess... They'd have to shut everything down to protect equipment if the frequency got to low. Once you've shut everything off you are in trouble. I would think it would be impossible to bring it all online at the same time. So it would be like hooking a small generator into your panel at home with all the breakers on. It would instantly trip when you fired it up. You'd need to shut them all off and turn them on one at a time while you added generation capacity. How many breakers "transformers" would they have to shut off manually and turn on manually to get this to happen? How long would that take?! Anyway, that's just a guess on my part.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: How bad did Ercot drop the ball... [Re: machinist] #13901606 02/25/21 02:40 PM
BigDozer66 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by machinist
Having spent 35 years working at gas fired power plants, I can say that the damage caused by a low frequency blackout would probably take a couple of months to repair. The biggest problem in trying to repair things is parts availability. None of the plants keep any inventory on hand like they did 25 or 30 years ago. Next would be the manpower. Knowledgeable people are not standing on the curb waiting on a job and every plant would need them.
I talked to the control operator at the plant where I worked about 15 minutes after the power went off and he was still so shook up he could hardly talk. And this guy has been a control operator for 20 years and has just about seen it all.

OMG

2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO (VF115LA) SS Prop
Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link 45" 80 lb.
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BalZout Console
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BBT Bow Mount
Trick Step

[Linked Image]
Re: How bad did Ercot drop the ball... [Re: machinist] #13901611 02/25/21 02:44 PM
1956Zebco Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by machinist
Having spent 35 years working at gas fired power plants, I can say that the damage caused by a low frequency blackout would probably take a couple of months to repair. The biggest problem in trying to repair things is parts availability. None of the plants keep any inventory on hand like they did 25 or 30 years ago. Next would be the manpower. Knowledgable people are not standing on the curb waiting on a job and every plant would need them.

As said before: once the WWII generation died out of running things, the whole system fell apart within 10 years. Roads, infrastructure, power - all of it (except games - we've got some great I-phone based gamers now).

Doesn't bode well.

Big Bass Deep Diving Spinner: https://youtu.be/nSH_KKAiuB4
Zebco 33 O-Ring Replacement (all years): https://youtu.be/NEU56UGzxXo
Big Bass Toothpick Trick: https://youtu.be/QC0emZqU36M
Crappie Tip: https://youtu.be/27AuG3CEpOs
Zebco 33 Restore & Lube: https://youtu.be/_4BTSEVcbQ4
More: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPSsiJFU2JVh-dfIn1jfZDg/
Re: How bad did Ercot drop the ball... [Re: Squirrely Dan] #13901637 02/25/21 03:05 PM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
Texas should check and update/upgrade other infrastructure while they are fixing the energy grid.
Water
Natural gas
Communications
Roads

Overall maintenance and preparedness.
Deregulation and free market competition are great as long as there is an authority to make sure quality control is maintained.

[Linked Image]
Re: How bad did Ercot drop the ball... [Re: Squirrely Dan] #13901649 02/25/21 03:15 PM
G
Gitter Done Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
G
China is waiting!

Re: How bad did Ercot drop the ball... [Re: Squirrely Dan] #13901664 02/25/21 03:20 PM
T
tx_basser Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
I suspect many have know this has been a problem for a while, the lack of winterization, capacity, etc. You can't say this is unpredictable because we have weather records going back over a hundred years as well as population/growth data.

Re: How bad did Ercot drop the ball... [Re: Squirrely Dan] #13901667 02/25/21 03:21 PM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
Absolutely predictable.
Slaps on the wrist 1988 and 2011.
The severity of this storm was predicted 3 weeks in advance by all the meteorlogists/computer models.

[Linked Image]
Re: How bad did Ercot drop the ball... [Re: Squirrely Dan] #13901677 02/25/21 03:28 PM
O
outdoor-addict Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
O
Let's compare our "grid / system / setup" with those in the upper Midwest that routinely get that sub-freezing weather.........they don't have state wide outages or reports of catastrophic collapse.

Last edited by outdoor-addict; 02/25/21 03:29 PM.
Re: How bad did Ercot drop the ball... [Re: Squirrely Dan] #13901680 02/25/21 03:32 PM
M
MBradford Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
M
"We're Texas, we don't need nobody to tell us how to run our 'lectrical system."

[Linked Image]
Re: How bad did Ercot drop the ball... [Re: outdoor-addict] #13901716 02/25/21 04:03 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by outdoor-addict
Let's compare our "grid / system / setup" with those in the upper Midwest that routinely get that sub-freezing weather.........they don't have state wide outages or reports of catastrophic collapse.

Their grid is built for negative temperatures because that’s what routinely happens every winter. Ours is built for 105° summer temperatures, because that’s what we routinely get here. Houses in Montana aren’t built to withstand a Category 5 hurricane, either.

I’m not saying the recommendations to winter-proof the plants shouldn’t have been done, nor am I saying that is the sole reason we almost lost the grid (because it’s not, and I’m very interested to see what shakes out, because I think it’s going to be a combination of the war on coal, green energy, not building for severe cold, ERCOT, PUC, Feds, state government and maybe more).

People from the northeast and Midwest were laughing at us all week, while not understanding we don’t have snow plows and salt trucks like they do because we get snow or ice for a couple of days and not a week of single digits and snow routinely. We can afford to wait a day until it’s 68° the next day and it melts. I have a college buddy that lives outside of Pittsburgh. His parents’ house has a gas furnace and window units, no central AC. Blew my mind, until I realized it just doesn’t get that hot there. A lot of us have heat pumps, which I’m sure people are wishing wasn’t the case after last week.

Improvements to the grid need to be made. This is twice in a decade that the grid was stressed by winter weather and nearly suffered a catastrophic event. It needs to be fixed, but comparing it to the Midwest doesn’t make anymore sense than saying the Upper Peninsula should be built for two months of 105° in the summer.

[Linked Image]
Re: How bad did Ercot drop the ball... [Re: Duck_Hunter] #13901729 02/25/21 04:10 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter
Originally Posted by outdoor-addict

Their grid is built for negative temperatures because that’s what routinely happens every winter. Ours is built for 105° summer temperatures, because that’s what we routinely get here. Houses in Montana aren’t built to withstand a Category 5 hurricane, either.

I’m not saying the recommendations to winter-proof the plants shouldn’t have been done, nor am I saying that is the sole reason we almost lost the grid (because it’s not, and I’m very interested to see what shakes out, because I think it’s going to be a combination of the war on coal, green energy, not building for severe cold, ERCOT, PUC, Feds, state government and maybe more).

People from the northeast and Midwest were laughing at us all week, while not understanding we don’t have snow plows and salt trucks like they do because we get snow or ice for a couple of days and not a week of single digits and snow routinely. We can afford to wait a day until it’s 68° the next day and it melts. I have a college buddy that lives outside of Pittsburgh. His parents’ house has a gas furnace and window units, no central AC. Blew my mind, until I realized it just doesn’t get that hot there. A lot of us have heat pumps, which I’m sure people are wishing wasn’t the case after last week.

Improvements to the grid need to be made. This is twice in a decade that the grid was stressed by winter weather and nearly suffered a catastrophic event. It needs to be fixed, but comparing it to the Midwest doesn’t make anymore sense than saying the Upper Peninsula should be built for two months of 105° in the summer.

Those same people laughing would probably melt with 10 days over 100 and nights at 95 degrees. They look at living in the cold weather as a badge of toughness. Its apples and oranges.

Re: How bad did Ercot drop the ball... [Re: Squirrely Dan] #13901745 02/25/21 04:17 PM
F
fishslime Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Abbott got his best robotic act out yesterday and emphatically stated this would be fixed. We'll see if recommendations are made or mandates will happen this time.

Re: How bad did Ercot drop the ball... [Re: fishslime] #13901749 02/25/21 04:21 PM
John175☮ Online Happy
MACHO MAN
Online Happy
MACHO MAN
Originally Posted by fishslime
Abbott got his best robotic act out yesterday and emphatically stated this would be fixed. We'll see if recommendations are made or mandates will happen this time.

Give it a rest slimey. It's not a political problem.

“Do not pray for easier lives. Pray to be stronger men.” -JFK
Re: How bad did Ercot drop the ball... [Re: fishslime] #13901757 02/25/21 04:27 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Originally Posted by fishslime

You try to make everything about politics.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide