Forums59
Topics1,040,245
Posts13,978,250
Members144,232
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Buchanan Infested with zebra muscles [Re: Holzer] #13844384 01/13/21 05:35 AM
361V Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Holzer
Originally Posted by 361V
Always a subjective topic but Zebra Mussels get a lot of credit by me for much better fishing at Bridgeport the last few years. Yes there are other factors like water levels.... but I believe the mussels are a big part of the success! Preface: I’m not working for the water commission and thus not having to deal with the undeniable issues(maintenance) that come with their existence but I for one welcome them in North Texas! The Great Lakes still exist after the introduction of Zebra Mussels! They will come and go in cycles like everywhere they have taken hold but they are here to stay.

Just curious, how do you feel they have made the fishing better?
Maybe not very scientific but about the time the mussels really took hold(ie: when the water would drop a couple feet the rocks are completely covered in them like barnacles) and the water quality took an upswing(clearer water) bass fishing also got notable better. As I prefaced there are other factors that one could contribute to the better bass fishing and heck some could argue it never got better. For me Bridgeport bass fishing is as good as it’s ever been and I believe the zebra mussels are a big part of the reason. Maybe I just finally got better at bass fishing?.....NAW! Just IMHO.

Re: Buchanan Infested with zebra muscles [Re: Holzer] #13846435 01/14/21 09:20 PM
B
Buchbass2 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Now all we need is some Golby to get in here and the fishing will be a lot better.

Re: Buchanan Infested with zebra muscles [Re: Holzer] #13847679 01/15/21 08:23 PM
S
Skeeter John Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
I wish the grass carp would switch over to zebra mussels. Then we would have something positive to save about the carp!

Re: Buchanan Infested with zebra muscles [Re: Holzer] #13848804 01/16/21 08:06 PM
F
fishnfireman Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
F
Originally Posted by ZeroHour
Im gonna throw in my 2C on this. I grew up on Lake Ontario, the St. Lawrence, and Erie where this mess came from. I promise you in the long run it has made the fishing exponentially better. It improved the water quality greatly as well. There is certainly a 'swing' time where there was a forage drop but it does come around a level out.

Long term they were a benefit for sure...that stated the shells are like razor blades.

Maybe not very scientific but about the time the mussels really took hold(ie: when the water would drop a couple feet the rocks are completely covered in them like barnacles) and the water quality took an upswing(clearer water) bass fishing also got notable better. As I prefaced there are other factors that one could contribute to the better bass fishing and heck some could argue it never got better. For me Bridgeport bass fishing is as good as it’s ever been and I believe the zebra mussels are a big part of the reason. Maybe I just finally got better at bass fishing?.....NAW! Just IMHO.

I'm a firm believer that Zebra is what saved the great lakes as a fishery. I figure it's a lot like hydrilla, the folks who have waterfront property and pull water from the lake are going to be the ones PO. not to mention the water works people. All I have to say is hope they learn to live with it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide