Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Making lakes better for fishing [Re: Jpurdue] #13793997 12/04/20 01:57 PM
T
Tx Tree Grower Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by Jpurdue
Everyone blames it on disappearing grass or over harvest. Sure maybe. Nobody wants to point to the obvious though, vast, vast, fishing pressure. Finite acres of water and an ever increasing population. Also... and I know this won't be popular... Tournaments.

I like the idea of issuing a fixed number of tournament boat slots for each lake per year, set by the TPWD based on facts. Sell the tournament slots to the highest bidders. Use the proceeds to restock the lake.

These constant and massive tournaments on our lakes do huge amounts of harm in my opinion. Thousands of boats keeping thousands of fish in live wells for long periods. Every weekend, almost every day on some lakes. It's relentless and we are burring our heads in the sand if we think it isn't causing harm.

This system sounds like a bureaucratic nightmare. I'm all for investing more money in our fisheries. Create a largemouth tag on fishing licenses that you have to buy in order to put one in a livewell, up license fees, etc. We most certainly need to invest in the future of our fisheries, but personally I'm not for more government bureaucracy and rules.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Making lakes better for fishing [Re: Liebers Dad] #13794360 12/04/20 07:06 PM
B
Brutaldudeski Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I would just invest more money in the hatcheries themselves. They are so under staffed and at times look like a ghost town. Maybe stricter limits but I think funding the ability to help make the fish and patrol the lakes more frequently would go a long way compared to an abundance of whacky rules

Re: Making lakes better for fishing [Re: Tx Tree Grower] #13794378 12/04/20 07:26 PM
T
Txduckhunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by Tx Tree Grower
Originally Posted by Jpurdue
Everyone blames it on disappearing grass or over harvest. Sure maybe. Nobody wants to point to the obvious though, vast, vast, fishing pressure. Finite acres of water and an ever increasing population. Also... and I know this won't be popular... Tournaments.

I like the idea of issuing a fixed number of tournament boat slots for each lake per year, set by the TPWD based on facts. Sell the tournament slots to the highest bidders. Use the proceeds to restock the lake.

These constant and massive tournaments on our lakes do huge amounts of harm in my opinion. Thousands of boats keeping thousands of fish in live wells for long periods. Every weekend, almost every day on some lakes. It's relentless and we are burring our heads in the sand if we think it isn't causing harm.

This system sounds like a bureaucratic nightmare. I'm all for investing more money in our fisheries. Create a largemouth tag on fishing licenses that you have to buy in order to put one in a livewell, up license fees, etc. We most certainly need to invest in the future of our fisheries, but personally I'm not for more government bureaucracy and rules.

We already have a tag that allows you to put a bass in the livewell - it's called a fishing license. Raising prices on licenses will also put a lot of people out of the game or on the wrong side of the wardens.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide