Forums59
Topics1,039,368
Posts13,963,451
Members144,202
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Making lakes better for fishing [Re: Liebers Dad] #13790622 12/01/20 02:34 PM
T
Txduckhunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by Liebers Dad
I've been thinking a LOT about fishing lately. Thinking on the various lakes around me, how they are managed (or not managed) and especially what could be done to make them even better. TPWD for the most part does actually listen to those who use their parks and lakes.

I miss the days when Bastrop was a rally good lake. You could catch numbers as well as decent fish and by numbers I mean 25-30 and by decent I mean the norm would be 2-3#, 4-5# was not uncommon and the occasional 6#er was a welcome surprise, but not unheard of.

Many moons ago TPWD actually polled the boaters on the lake about what could be done to make the lake better. I was stopped more than once for my opinion. I heard all sorts of answers, but honestly back then the fishing was really good. These days, the fish are abundant, but there is zero size.

So what can be done about it?

I have a crazy idea, but changing the rules from time to time seems to work well for deer hunting so why not fishing? Until recently does in Milam county were not allowed to be harvested AT ALL without a permit, but recently that changed and does are now allowed during a special two week period at the beginning of the season because the doe population has grown so much.

Why can't something similar be done on lakes? Why couldn't rules be changed on a lake by lake basis? Why couldn't there be a two week period where slot limits are lifted? Any LMB over 12" can be taken with only one over 21" allowed? This could drastically improve the lake and quickly over the course of only a few years. There could be wardens or TPWD employees stationed at the lakes to take a count on how many fish are being taken, what size, etc. Seriously, when's the last time you heard a fish count being taken on ANY lake? This would drop the population of fish in the lake allowing the remaining fish to grow larger and stronger. The limit on big fish remaining in place would protect the larger fish already there so they can produce more big fish.

I'm betting if we get enough momentum for this we could put together a petition and force the powers that be to at least discuss it.

This is my starting point, though.

Hairbrained wacky idea from a goober or not a bad idea to discuss?

So you remove the slot for Fork for two weeks..... when? The logical time for the most harvest seems to be in the spring when the fishing would be, arguably, best. If that happened, I would think that there would be a glut of tourneys during that time period where the anglers are still going to be releasing the fish, which would seem counter productive. It would also probably not help the spawn..
I also would imaging that putting GW's that are already spread a bit thin in some counties would cause problems, not to mention the O/T that the other TPWD employees would have to be paid. Just food for thought.....
There are already regulations for several lakes that are different than "statewide". I'm reasonably sure that the biologists that work for TPW are much smarter than I am, I'm going to pretty much let them set the boundaries.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Making lakes better for fishing [Re: Liebers Dad] #13790696 12/01/20 03:28 PM
B
BillS2006 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
[quote=Liebers Dad

I definitely noticed that on Fayette as well.
The problem may be education. I never knew the minimum size was lifted and I'm certain I'm not alone.
[/quote]

The Fayette slot is now 16" to 24". Used to be 14" to 24".

Transgenders: God made them, the devil changed their minds.
Re: Making lakes better for fishing [Re: Douglas J] #13790795 12/01/20 04:53 PM
S
SoCal Tom Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by Douglas J

A better idea, if you or your parents we not born in Texas you aren't allowed to fish or hunt LOL

Guess I have to pack my bags...

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

http://www.rayhubbardbassclub.com
President

Save the Date! 9th annual FFAC - Sunday October 27th, 2024 - Lake Ray Hubbard!
Re: Making lakes better for fishing [Re: Liebers Dad] #13790798 12/01/20 04:54 PM
S
Skeeter John Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
As mentioned above, the intent of the slot is to remove smaller bass that tend to reduce forage/baitfish while protecting mid-size bass for spawning and growth. I think they hope it will help with trophy size bass as well. It appears that very few below slot are being taken out at Fayette and other lakes as well, so we are not getting the benefits of the slot. I'm not sure how many trophy bass are being taken out, both legally and illegally. I've assisted with many surveys with the TPWD over the years on Fayette and many other lakes. There is a tremendous amount of bass, especially <15 inchers at Fayette, just not a lot of big ones (6+ lbs). I trust the TPWD is doing what's right especially considering the lake has had challenges-extreme pressure, fish kills, algae blooms and turnover and now netters. I believe the change in the slot (<16 inchers) from 2-3 years ago was more about getting consistency across lakes around TX more than being Fayette specific. TPWD will be out in the Spring talking to anglers about their catch experience and observing the netters' practices. Will be interesting to see what that find out.

Re: Making lakes better for fishing [Re: Liebers Dad] #13790959 12/01/20 07:22 PM
J
Jeff From Iowa Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by Liebers Dad
Seriously, when's the last time you heard a fish count being taken on ANY lake?

On Nachoniche 2020 Feb or March, they were there for a day and kept track of size of catch, how many and how long you were on the water.

Re: Making lakes better for fishing [Re: Skeeter John] #13790998 12/01/20 07:53 PM
B
BillS2006 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Skeeter John
As mentioned above, the intent of the slot is to remove smaller bass that tend to reduce forage/baitfish while protecting mid-size bass for spawning and growth. I think they hope it will help with trophy size bass as well. It appears that very few below slot are being taken out at Fayette and other lakes as well, so we are not getting the benefits of the slot. I'm not sure how many trophy bass are being taken out, both legally and illegally. I've assisted with many surveys with the TPWD over the years on Fayette and many other lakes. There is a tremendous amount of bass, especially <15 inchers at Fayette, just not a lot of big ones (6+ lbs). I trust the TPWD is doing what's right especially considering the lake has had challenges-extreme pressure, fish kills, algae blooms and turnover and now netters. I believe the change in the slot (<16 inchers) from 2-3 years ago was more about getting consistency across lakes around TX more than being Fayette specific. TPWD will be out in the Spring talking to anglers about their catch experience and observing the netters' practices. Will be interesting to see what that find out.

Actually the raising the slot limit was an attempt to help the catfish and help the size of the bass. Won't work unless there was 100% participation in removing the unders. I have lost all the correspondence with the biologist we were working with on the catfish problem or I would post his opinions. He also said stocking catfish was out of the question due to cost of raising catfish to a size that wouldn't be immediately eaten by the bass. TP&W let Fayette go too long to ever bring it back to the days of 5 pound schoolies. It is seriously out of balance.

Re: Making lakes better for fishing [Re: buda13] #13791007 12/01/20 07:58 PM
B
BillS2006 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by buda13
With the slot currently in place you can keep 5 fish under 14” per person, no minimum length. No need to try and get special regulations put in place, start keeping 5 unders now. Maybe get with a local bass club and have an “Under the slot” tournament where you keep all the fish brought to the scales, could then turn around and have a fish fry to raise money for the club.

Several of us tried to do just that about 15 years ago on Fayette. Main issue was using game fish to raise money. The bass can be donated to a worthy cause.

Re: Making lakes better for fishing [Re: Liebers Dad] #13791017 12/01/20 08:11 PM
9094 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
If TPWD really wanted to pare down the undersized fish just make it mandatory in tournaments on lakes with the problem to keep all unders. Have a few big fish fries, let the public know there will be free fish available to bring ice chests etc.
It wouldn’t take much to fix the under problem.

Re: Making lakes better for fishing [Re: 9094] #13791043 12/01/20 08:32 PM
J
Jeff From Iowa Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by 9094
If TPWD really wanted to pare down the undersized fish just make it mandatory in tournaments on lakes with the problem to keep all unders. Have a few big fish fries, let the public know there will be free fish available to bring ice chests etc.

Its never that easy. People cant leave with more than the legal possession limit if they have a fishing license and honestly people never show up to take such limits from you when you offer them.

I have some very good deer hunting land and shoot a few deer a year and have yet to ever have a single person show up who said they would take one, so I donate them all to the local food bank program. People always say they want one, I text them when I drop it and they have a excuse why this day wont work but maybe another. I have told a few no big deal theres snow on the ground come get it whenever you want it will be frozen waiting.... crickets

Its the same with firewood, I have a few acres on my land I keep offering people to cut wood and none have ever showed up, theyll take it if I cut it all to length and have it where they can drive directly to it. So I just make burn piles and burn it all.

We have a lake in Iowa that is full of 12.5 inch, like 100 fish days easy etc, they wont lower the size limit to a special limit to that lake because it will cause confusion as well as everyone could claim their limit in their possession came from that lake vs the one they actually fished at. So the state keeps the minimum at 15 state wide with some lakes larger like over 19 only etc.

Re: Making lakes better for fishing [Re: 9094] #13791056 12/01/20 08:40 PM
B
BillS2006 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B

But you are forgetting that it is evil to keep a bass. All bass must be returned to the water.

Re: Making lakes better for fishing [Re: wh2004] #13791146 12/01/20 09:55 PM
R
Razorback Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
R
Originally Posted by wh2004
You could already reduce the number of fish in most lakes but nobody wants to keep bass to eat.

I used to think that very few people keep bass to eat, but go to an 18" minimum lake like Welsh or Gilmer. When I go I catch a lot of 15-17 inch fish but few over 18 inches. Why don't the abundant 15-17s grow to be over 18 inches so that the lake if eventually full of big, legal fish? The only logical answer is that people harvest the bigger fish.

Jacksonville used to be the same way years ago. We fished tournaments down there and would catch 30-50 fish up to 17-3/4 inches, but maybe one or two legal bass over 18.

Re: Making lakes better for fishing [Re: Jeff From Iowa] #13791199 12/01/20 10:53 PM
L
Liebers Dad Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
L
Originally Posted by Jeff From Iowa
[quote=9094]
Its the same with firewood, I have a few acres on my land I keep offering people to cut wood and none have ever showed up, theyll take it if I cut it all to length and have it where they can drive directly to it. So I just make burn piles and burn it all.

THIS. This right here I understand completely. I have a log splitter, several 20" chain saws, etc.
Always "Hey, when we gonna go cut wood?"
"Anytime you want"
"Ok, I'll let you know"

*crickets

I didn't lose him at the boat. I shook him off cause I didn't want my hands to get "fishy"
Re: Making lakes better for fishing [Re: BillS2006] #13791209 12/01/20 11:05 PM
S
Skeeter John Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
It's been 2 years for the new 16" minimum, time goes by quickly. Interesting about the cat fishing, I never saw anything or read about that. We've always shocked up a ton of catfish along the dam.

AUSTIN – Simplifying largemouth bass regulations at 12 public lakes highlight this year’s list of proposed freshwater fishing regulation changes.

The potential changes are intended to increase recreational opportunity, make regulations less complex, promote enforcement, and provide for the sound biological management of fisheries resources. Twelve of the 20 lakes affected by the potential changes would revert to the statewide 14-inch minimum length limit, which governs nearly 80 percent of water bodies in the state. The other eight lakes would see changes to more appropriate special regulations.

Re: Making lakes better for fishing [Re: Jeff From Iowa] #13791231 12/01/20 11:38 PM
9094 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Jeff From Iowa

Its never that easy. People cant leave with more than the legal possession limit if they have a fishing license and honestly people never show up to take such limits from you when you offer them.

I have some very good deer hunting land and shoot a few deer a year and have yet to ever have a single person show up who said they would take one, so I donate them all to the local food bank program. People always say they want one, I text them when I drop it and they have a excuse why this day wont work but maybe another. I have told a few no big deal theres snow on the ground come get it whenever you want it will be frozen waiting.... crickets

We have a lake in Iowa that is full of 12.5 inch, like 100 fish days easy etc, they wont lower the size limit to a special limit to that lake because it will cause confusion as well as everyone could claim their limit in their possession came from that lake vs the one they actually fished at. So the state keeps the minimum at 15 state wide with some lakes larger like over 19 only etc.

Well you are wrong. I have left many a tournament with more than my legal possession with a GW permission. Fish that were dead or died when released. If a tournament t organization as asked to do this a GW can give notices to the TD to give to people who take the fish. Just write in amount they take and give them the notice provided by the GW.
If small fish need to be taken from a lake the ONLY way to do so is to require them to be removed.
And believe it or not if people are told about something like this they will come get the fish. We have done the same with doe culls here and people lined up for about a mile to get a free gutted deer.

Last edited by 9094; 12/01/20 11:39 PM.
Re: Making lakes better for fishing [Re: Skeeter John] #13791246 12/01/20 11:56 PM
B
BillS2006 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
It's been 2 years for the new 16" minimum, time goes by quickly. Interesting about the cat fishing, I never saw anything or read about that. We've always shocked up a ton of catfish along the dam.

AUSTIN – Simplifying largemouth bass regulations at 12 public lakes highlight this year’s list of proposed freshwater fishing regulation changes.

The potential changes are intended to increase recreational opportunity, make regulations less complex, promote enforcement, and provide for the sound biological management of fisheries resources. Twelve of the 20 lakes affected by the potential changes would revert to the statewide 14-inch minimum length limit, which governs nearly 80 percent of water bodies in the state. The other eight lakes would see changes to more appropriate special regulations.

Seven years ago the average guided trip on Fayette would result in 2 to 3 limits of 3 to 4 pound fish. Five years ago, the average guided trip would result in 30 to 35 fish averaging 5 pounds. Three years ago, when the guide stopped fishing Fayette the average trip produced 5 to 10 fish 5 to 8 pounds. The surveys will confirm the decline in catfish.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide