Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: RV's and RV Parks [Re: VIP Fishing] #13717350 10/01/20 08:03 PM
TexDawg Online Content
Top Dawg
Online Content
Top Dawg
My wife and I kiddingly discuss the old sell it all, buy a RV and hit the road fantasy all the time. Things that don’t appeal to me are, as is being discussed, finding good places to set one up, the upkeep and maintenance of the vehicle including having to pump it out, driving the massive thing all over, etc.. I also don’t think we would be content without a permanent home. It’s fun to think about though

Re: RV's and RV Parks [Re: bigrebar] #13717351 10/01/20 08:06 PM
el Rojo Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by bigrebar
Originally Posted by Jeff From Iowa
From what I’ve read about RV’ing to Alaska, there are some very basic items to consider and this is what I’ve concluded in my research.

The trailer is better suited for the trip if it is less than 30’, only requires a 30 amp service, and has great suspension and frame dependability.

Fox Mountain 235RLS by Northwood with a Onan Gen set. If purchased new, retails for $45-50K from I’ve seen this year.

The Airstream’s are also very popular, but man, even a 30 year old Airstream brings in top dollar on resale.

Theyll all work on 30, you just may or may not be able to run both air conditioners....

frame and suspension is depenent on brand and cost, nothing to do with length.

Correct. The less than 30' comes from several RV forums. Seems to be a consensus that only 10% to 15% of the RV slips from the Canadian line into Alaska have slips for trailers over 30 foot. And even if they do, even less offer 50amp service.

We traveled to Alaska in 2014 pulling a 40' 5th wheel. We didn't have any problems parking. We had more problems getting around in Minnesota County parks than anywhere else. There are tricks to pulling a bid rig like ending your day around 3 or 4...that's why they're are happy hours.

Re: RV's and RV Parks [Re: bigrebar] #13717355 10/01/20 08:11 PM
J
Jeff From Iowa Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
From what I’ve read about RV’ing to Alaska, there are some very basic items to consider and this is what I’ve concluded in my research.

The trailer is better suited for the trip if it is less than 30’, only requires a 30 amp service, and has great suspension and frame dependability.

Fox Mountain 235RLS by Northwood with a Onan Gen set. If purchased new, retails for $45-50K from I’ve seen this year.

The Airstream’s are also very popular, but man, even a 30 year old Airstream brings in top dollar on resale.

Theyll all work on 30, you just may or may not be able to run both air conditioners....

frame and suspension is depenent on brand and cost, nothing to do with length.

Correct. The less than 30' comes from several RV forums. Seems to be a consensus that only 10% to 15% of the RV slips from the Canadian line into Alaska have slips for trailers over 30 foot. And even if they do, even less offer 50amp service.

Ic my appologies, didnt realize you were referencing one particular trip.

I dont usually park in parks when traveling, in fact I dont think Ive ever pulled into one for a simple over night... side of road, truck stops, rest areas, walmart, out of business parking lot etc.

But I have a rv not a trailer with no generator. I have two agm batteries that will run my set up over night if I turn the fridge down. I have a full size residential fridge so when I was using it to launch my boat and leaving it at the ramp I would turn my fridge way up the night before and down at the ramp vs always leaving my generator running.

Re: RV's and RV Parks [Re: VIP Fishing] #13717363 10/01/20 08:17 PM
J
Jeff From Iowa Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
[Linked Image]

Re: RV's and RV Parks [Re: TexDawg] #13717365 10/01/20 08:17 PM
D
Davedave Offline
Bigfoot Seeker
Bigfoot Seeker
D
Originally Posted by TexDawg
My wife and I kiddingly discuss the old sell it all, buy a RV and hit the road fantasy all the time. Things that don’t appeal to me are, as is being discussed, finding good places to set one up, the upkeep and maintenance of the vehicle including having to pump it out, driving the massive thing all over, etc.. I also don’t think we would be content without a permanent home. It’s fun to think about though

I don’t like carrying around tanks of poo. That does not appeal to me.

Re: RV's and RV Parks [Re: Jeff From Iowa] #13717369 10/01/20 08:21 PM
B
bigrebar Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
[Linked Image]

Nice Rig!!!

Re: RV's and RV Parks [Re: VIP Fishing] #13717379 10/01/20 08:34 PM
S
Smurfs Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
[Linked Image]

Re: RV's and RV Parks [Re: VIP Fishing] #13717384 10/01/20 08:43 PM
B
bigrebar Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Wow, what's the overall length of that set up?

Re: RV's and RV Parks [Re: bigrebar] #13717395 10/01/20 08:50 PM
J
Jeff From Iowa Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Wow, what's the overall length of that set up?

Mines only a few feet over the legal max....

Re: RV's and RV Parks [Re: VIP Fishing] #13717397 10/01/20 08:51 PM
H
HasBen Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
H
We were pulled over in California in a 45’ motorhome pulling a 20’+ enclosed trailer by the CHP. He followed us to a rest stop and made us drop the trailer right there. Luckily, we had a friend at the track we were going to with a f250 and he came and got the trailer and towed it to the track. After the race, we hooked up to our trailer and got out of California as soon as we could.

“There’s no such thing as too much horsepower, just not enough traction”…..Carroll Shelby
Re: RV's and RV Parks [Re: HasBen] #13717420 10/01/20 09:12 PM
J
Jeff From Iowa Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by HasBen
We were pulled over in California in a 45’ motorhome pulling a 20’+ enclosed trailer by the CHP. He followed us to a rest stop and made us drop the trailer right there. Luckily, we had a friend at the track we were going to with a f250 and he came and got the trailer and towed it to the track. After the race, we hooked up to our trailer and got out of California as soon as we could.

Ive been very very curios what calif would do since triples is illegal there. I want to go fishing out there, most places they CANT take you out of service or off the road since were non commercial was my understanding.

Why did you have to drop your trailer a 45 motorhome and 20 foot trailer so 65 66 long should not matter you werent pulling triples?

Re: RV's and RV Parks [Re: Jeff From Iowa] #13717426 10/01/20 09:16 PM
H
HasBen Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
H
Originally Posted by HasBen

Ive been very very curios what calif would do since triples is illegal there. I want to go fishing out there, most places they CANT take you out of service or off the road since were non commercial was my understanding.

Why did you have to drop your trailer a 45 motorhome and 20 foot trailer so 65 66 long should not matter you werent pulling triples?

Can’t remember how long the trailer was, but probably closer to 30’. It’s been a while. He was not flexible. He left and we unhooked the trailer and headed towards the race track. About ten miles down the road, he was sitting there on the shoulder and waved as we went past. To be fair, we had pulled this same rig all over California over a few years and this was the only time we were stopped. Not sure what the limit is for a motorhome and trailer, but in his mind we failed.

“There’s no such thing as too much horsepower, just not enough traction”…..Carroll Shelby
Re: RV's and RV Parks [Re: VIP Fishing] #13717431 10/01/20 09:24 PM
JavelinJ Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
We have been RV camping for the last 12 years or so. Do it often, maybe at least once per month.

Get an RV with an Onan Micro quiet LP generator and go with the largest gray and fresh tanks you can find and then you can "boondock" and open up so many more possibilities. You can stay a few days on your own without any hookups. Go real crazy and install solar panels on the roof for winter, spring and fall camping and you wont even need the genny.

Oklahoma is still easy enough to find spots as well.

Also, google earth any new to you campground to check it out from the air first. So many are more trailer parks than camp grounds to be honest.

Re: RV's and RV Parks [Re: JavelinJ] #13717438 10/01/20 09:30 PM
J
Jeff From Iowa Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by JavelinJ
We have been RV camping for the last 12 years or so. Do it often, maybe at least once per month.

Get an RV with an Onan Micro quiet LP generator and go with the largest gray and fresh tanks you can find and then you can "boondock" and open up so many more possibilities. You can stay a few days on your own without any hookups. Go real crazy and install solar panels on the roof for winter, spring and fall camping and you wont even need the genny.

Also, google earth any new to you campground to check it out from the air first. So many are more trailer parks than camp grounds to be honest.

lp generator?

My rv had one and that sucker used way too much propane for me, I removed it and installed a diesel.

Re: RV's and RV Parks [Re: Jeff From Iowa] #13717441 10/01/20 09:34 PM
Derek 🐝 Online Shocked
Queen of Bees
Online Shocked
Queen of Bees
Originally Posted by JavelinJ

lp generator?

My rv had one and that sucker used way too much propane for me, I removed it and installed a diesel.

Did you use a truck bed gas tank to fill it with diesel?

Ebolacane Researcher
CovidNado Chaser
McRib Pro Staff
Team Beans
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide