Forums59
Topics1,039,325
Posts13,962,855
Members144,199
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Bass Champs Red River Champioship [Re: Hook'Em 79] #13663726 08/11/20 02:44 AM
S
SoCal Tom Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
I'm basing my thoughts on the place from the Ray Scott Championship I fished there in April of 2018. It's the one time I was there. The river was high and muddy and unfishable. Everyone had to crowd in to small backwater areas and the fishing was absolutely terrible. I caught one fish in three days. I said then if I could choose, I would never go back. But, Champs has made their decision and we will go. Hoping to see at least better conditions and a more wide open playing field this time. That being said, I would rather be going to Texoma. grin

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

http://www.rayhubbardbassclub.com
President

Save the Date! 9th annual FFAC - Sunday October 27th, 2024 - Lake Ray Hubbard!
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Bass Champs Red River Champioship [Re: mudd] #13663731 08/11/20 02:46 AM
J
John Peebles Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
J
Originally Posted by mudd
Originally Posted by Cass Caldwell
I live here. I will tell you what's wrong with it. The record back-to-back floods of 2015 & 2016 decimated the bass population. The Red River (now Dead River) is not a shell of what she once was. Many of the backwater lakes are also silted in and not accessible. An 8 pound bag will be a really good day. But, consider yourself lucky if you can find two 12" keepers...it's that bad. It was once my favorite fishery in this area.

If you've been here before, be careful running in areas you ran before, because it has changed.....A LOT.

I disagree cause there is still a ton of keeper fish in the river. Lots of size left also. The floods did hammer the river no doubt. But it will take a mid teens bag each day to win. We still catching good quality fish out there....

I like tough tournaments. Half the guys are already mentally beaten before the tournament even starts.

Re: Bass Champs Red River Champioship [Re: leethefishking] #13663732 08/11/20 02:47 AM
B
bassmanrudy Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted by leethefishking
Originally Posted by bassmanrudy
I live here. I will tell you what's wrong with it. The record back-to-back floods of 2015 & 2016 decimated the bass population. The Red River (now Dead River) is not a shell of what she once was. Many of the backwater lakes are also silted in and not accessible. An 8 pound bag will be a really good day. But, consider yourself lucky if you can find two 12" keepers...it's that bad. It was once my favorite fishery in this area.

If you've been here before, be careful running in areas you ran before, because it has changed.....A LOT.

I'll agree with being careful running. Especially into areas that were open the last time y'all may have been here!!

But I disagree with it fishing horribly but it will be tough. The bass are still here, know of a couple 14 bags from the same boat recently! Granted she ain't what she was back before the floods but she's still got some fish!
Were those 14 pound bags during a 250 boat tourney after three days of practice?

Still happens every time a big tourney comes here... I dunno people on here will bash whatever lake gets chosen no matter what. If I took the time to fish 4 tourneys and qualified to fish an EOY event I sure would! :-) ah well cream rises to the top.

Re: Bass Champs Red River Champioship [Re: John Peebles] #13663733 08/11/20 02:48 AM
B
bassmanrudy Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted by John Peebles
Originally Posted by mudd

I disagree cause there is still a ton of keeper fish in the river. Lots of size left also. The floods did hammer the river no doubt. But it will take a mid teens bag each day to win. We still catching good quality fish out there....

I like tough tournaments. Half the guys are already mentally beaten before the tournament even starts.

^^^ sure sounds like it John!!

Re: Bass Champs Red River Champioship [Re: Hook'Em 79] #13663742 08/11/20 02:53 AM
Tiltman Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I canโ€™t wait, gonna be an adventure

Re: Bass Champs Red River Champioship [Re: Hook'Em 79] #13664114 08/11/20 03:00 PM
CSD Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I personally would like to see more variety in the championship lake selection. I will be the first to admit that BC runs a first class trail and that I have no idea what goes into putting on a championship tourney, but since switching from a regional to organizational championship 5 of 8 have been on Red River. I fish the whole season to get hit over the head with Red River again.
2020 RR
2019 Texoma
2018 Texoma
2017 RR
2016 Sabine
2015 RR
2014 RR
2013 RR
It's promoted as "Texas #1 Tournament Trail" but we seem to have our championship mostly in Louisiana. That's never set well with me (not bashing Louisiana) but fishing a Texas trail, I would like to support Texas businesses/mom and pops/TP&W when traveling for a championship. Before you start bashing me, I have fished the trail the last 5 or 6 years. So many great lakes to have a championship on in Texas. I also would image the South and central teams would like to have a championship closer to them. Just my thoughts.

Re: Bass Champs Red River Champioship [Re: CSD] #13664131 08/11/20 03:13 PM
C
Chris G Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Originally Posted by CSD
I personally would like to see more variety in the championship lake selection. I will be the first to admit that BC runs a first class trail and that I have no idea what goes into putting on a championship tourney, but since switching from a regional to organizational championship 5 of 8 have been on Red River. I fish the whole season to get hit over the head with Red River again.
2020 RR
2019 Texoma
2018 Texoma
2017 RR
2016 Sabine
2015 RR
2014 RR
2013 RR
It's promoted as "Texas #1 Tournament Trail" but we seem to have our championship mostly in Louisiana. That's never set well with me (not bashing Louisiana) but fishing a Texas trail, I would like to support Texas businesses/mom and pops/TP&W when traveling for a championship. Before you start bashing me, I have fished the trail the last 5 or 6 years. So many great lakes to have a championship on in Texas. I also would image the South and central teams would like to have a championship closer to them. Just my thoughts.

They are kind of in a bind on location selections for the championship since they state they won't have it on a lake that is fished during the regular season. Then you factor in that it's a business, so they have to go where the money is. Some know and some don't but these guys are in this to make money and some locations pay them to come to town while others don't. The locations for these championships have offered to pay for them to bring the show to town, so that is where we end up going. I have zero issues with it. Would I prefer to fish a lake over the Red, absolutely! But, we are still going and will have a good time which is mostly what this about for the group I travel with. It's a boy's weekend with some money on the line.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Bass Champs Red River Champioship [Re: John Peebles] #13664191 08/11/20 04:03 PM
C
COKEMAN Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Originally Posted by John Peebles

And the other half aren't going. bolt

Re: Bass Champs Red River Champioship [Re: Hook'Em 79] #13664213 08/11/20 04:30 PM
CSD Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Completely understand it's a business. I realize that championships aren't fished on lakes that are fished as part of a division.

I don't think that puts them in a bind regarding potential lake possibilities (not considering CoC money), size wise Caddo, Lewisville, Livingston, Palestine, Richland-Chambers, Whitney are just a few that would be large enough and I'm sure there are others.

I think we all realize they do this for a living and like I said before, they run a great trail.
I've never quite understood their business model. Would love to know how the different sponsorships work and what these Chamber of Commerce pay trails like BC to come to their city, but that's none of my business. At the end of the day, I qualified to fish it and get to choose whether I want to participate or not.

I do not know what their process is for choosing the championship location, but I do know they can't please everyone. But I don't think it hurts to.make a few points as I perceive things in a civilized manner.

Best of luck to you Chris G and everyone fishing the championship.

Re: Bass Champs Red River Champioship [Re: CSD] #13664242 08/11/20 04:55 PM
C
Chris G Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Originally Posted by CSD
Completely understand it's a business. I realize that championships aren't fished on lakes that are fished as part of a division.

I don't think that puts them in a bind regarding potential lake possibilities (not considering CoC money), size wise Caddo, Lewisville, Livingston, Palestine, Richland-Chambers, Whitney are just a few that would be large enough and I'm sure there are others.

I think we all realize they do this for a living and like I said before, they run a great trail.
I've never quite understood their business model. Would love to know how the different sponsorships work and what these Chamber of Commerce pay trails like BC to come to their city, but that's none of my business. At the end of the day, I qualified to fish it and get to choose whether I want to participate or not.

I do not know what their process is for choosing the championship location, but I do know they can't please everyone. But I don't think it hurts to.make a few points as I perceive things in a civilized manner.

Best of luck to you Chris G and everyone fishing the championship.

Your points were great and definitely in a civilized manner and I wasn't trying to downplay them. I have known Chad and Jeff a long time like many others and have had many of these conversations with them. Money is important but facilities and how many teams they think will show up are equally as important. Plus for these championships they have tried to choose areas where there are things to do for those that bring their wife or family with them. Saw numerous families at the last Red River and the Texoma events. Those factors combined with money eliminate several of the lakes you listed. I know they have tried at least 1 of the names you listed in the past and couldn't get a deal pulled together.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide