Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Your next outboard ? [Re: TxDanFishMan] #13514380 04/12/20 01:51 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Never say Never.

There are thousands of folks out there that used to think their old small block Chevy was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Now they drive a Tesla. If you haven't experienced one in LUDRICROUS Mode don't knock it. It will absolutely take your breath away 0-60 mph in 2.4 seconds.

I believe they will eventually get the lithium battery issues worked out. Perhaps they will discover something even better & lighter. I am far from being a tree-hugger but I also embrace new technology.

Did you really think 15 yrs ago you would be reading this on your phone??

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Your next outboard ? [Re: Ken A.] #13514487 04/12/20 03:05 PM
Greg W Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by Ken A.
Never say Never.

There are thousands of folks out there that used to think their old small block Chevy was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Now they drive a Tesla. If you haven't experienced one in LUDRICROUS Mode don't knock it. It will absolutely take your breath away 0-60 mph in 2.4 seconds.

I believe they will eventually get the lithium battery issues worked out. Perhaps they will discover something even better & lighter. I am far from being a tree-hugger but I also embrace new technology.

Thanks for someone that agrees with me. We're all using state of the art electronics if we can afford them. We'll use state of the art motors once they are affordable. Change is always inevitable. Hell 50 years from now we may have a mini nuclear reactor running our boats with safety equipment that lets you safely hit speeds we can't dream of today.

Re: Your next outboard ? [Re: Greg W] #13514581 04/12/20 03:56 PM
D
dk2429 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Originally Posted by Greg W
Never say Never.

Thanks for someone that agrees with me. We're all using state of the art electronics if we can afford them. We'll use state of the art motors once they are affordable. Change is always inevitable. Hell 50 years from now we may have a mini nuclear reactor running our boats with safety equipment that lets you safely hit speeds we can't dream of today.

I don't know.. Maybe I'm just crazy, but I see speed limits on the water coming in the future...

Majek 22 Extreme/225 Optimax Pro XS hauled by a 2500HD Duramax

Re: Your next outboard ? [Re: TxDanFishMan] #13515040 04/12/20 08:57 PM
R
Rayzor Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
Does anyone know if this electric motor is even available? Or is it still in a development stage?

I would guess my boat will hold at least 40 gallons of fuel. At 6 pounds per gallon, that's 240 pounds. Does anyone know what the batteries for this new electric system will weigh? Let's just say that they use the same batteries I use at 60 pounds each. Eight batteries will be 480 pounds. I never fill my boat's fuel tank completely. That 480 pounds is always there. Weight is always a factor in marine applications. As far as I know, they still have a lot of work to do.

Be safe,
Rayzor
[Linked Image]
2001 Triton Tx-21/225 Mercury EFI
Re: Your next outboard ? [Re: Rayzor] #13515135 04/12/20 10:03 PM
Greg W Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by Rayzor
Does anyone know if this electric motor is even available? Or is it still in a development stage?

I would guess my boat will hold at least 40 gallons of fuel. At 6 pounds per gallon, that's 240 pounds. Does anyone know what the batteries for this new electric system will weigh? Let's just say that they use the same batteries I use at 60 pounds each. Eight batteries will be 480 pounds. I never fill my boat's fuel tank completely. That 480 pounds is always there. Weight is always a factor in marine applications. As far as I know, they still have a lot of work to do.

Did you see they have a 450HP outboard. They are going to use these in Norwegian seas so they will get battled tested early. But I'd agree these aren't going to be running bass boats until batteries change significantly. That'll happen over time. My first PC ran at 4.8Mz in 1986 with 2 floppies. Now you can get 8 cores all running almost 1000x faster. Memory and HDD space is so cheap it doesn't even matter anymore.

Re: Your next outboard ? [Re: Greg W] #13515463 04/13/20 02:30 AM
T
TxDanFishMan Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Never say Never.

With all the major Auto companies working on electric cars now the technology will develop faster and batteries will improve which eventually will start to transfer to marine companies. It will take time, maybe 10-20 years but I think that we'll eventually see some that actually replace some of the US market share for outboards.

Slide right, coming in .... Fish On!
Re: Your next outboard ? [Re: TxDanFishMan] #13515477 04/13/20 02:50 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
They should make a dedicated hull for the electric engines. Maybe mold the lithium’s into the boat. Not having to have room for two or more fuel tanks and 3-4 batteries in an accessible area in the back could make for a better balanced boat with better storage. The low range torque would be cool too.

Saying that, this 150 engine looks like my Yamaha and it would require batteries that would take up more space than the fuel tanks currently.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Your next outboard ? [Re: SteezMacQueen] #13515495 04/13/20 03:06 AM
tmd11111 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
They should make a dedicated hull for the electric engines. Maybe mold the lithium’s into the boat. Not having to have room for two or more fuel tanks and 3-4 batteries in an accessible area in the back could make for a better balanced boat with better storage. The low range torque would be cool too.

Saying that, this 150 engine looks like my Yamaha and it would require batteries that would take up more space than the fuel tanks currently.

Its actually an Evinrude Etec G1 that's its based off of. As for a dedicated hull that wouldn't be necessary but builders would definitely have to change the layout under the deck. Think about it for a second. No need for 50 gallons of fuel so there goes over 300lbs. No need for a cranking battery and 3 trolling motor batteries so there goes another 300lbs. That gives them around 600lbs of batteries to work with. A few hours of run time isn't out of the question and no added weight from a current setup.

Last edited by tmd11111; 04/13/20 03:07 AM.
Re: Your next outboard ? [Re: TxDanFishMan] #13515514 04/13/20 03:29 AM
S
SC-001 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
One day maybe but the tech just isn't there yet. I've been following Formula E racing a little and the year to year advancements they are making is eye opening.

Re: Your next outboard ? [Re: Greg W] #13515516 04/13/20 03:31 AM
SAKS Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Never say Never.

I’m with you. Have to get rid of that green though. Can’t do green.

Re: Your next outboard ? [Re: tmd11111] #13516681 04/14/20 12:51 AM
R
Rayzor Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
Originally Posted by tmd11111

Its actually an Evinrude Etec G1 that's its based off of. As for a dedicated hull that wouldn't be necessary but builders would definitely have to change the layout under the deck. Think about it for a second. No need for 50 gallons of fuel so there goes over 300lbs. No need for a cranking battery and 3 trolling motor batteries so there goes another 300lbs. That gives them around 600lbs of batteries to work with. A few hours of run time isn't out of the question and no added weight from a current setup.

Please re-think your post. You're getting rid of fuel but you will gain the weight of the engine batteries. Like I said in my previous post, today's battery weighs about 60 pounds. Eight of those equals 480 pounds. Is this new electric engine and how-how-many-ever batteries it has, also going to run a 36 volt trolling motor? If not, then you have 3 more batteries at another 180 pounds.

Todays math:
8 batteries - plus 480 pounds
40 gallons of gas - minus 240 pounds
1 starter battery - minus 60 pounds.
Equals plus 300 pounds.

Just a wild guess.

Be safe,
Rayzor
[Linked Image]
2001 Triton Tx-21/225 Mercury EFI
Re: Your next outboard ? [Re: Rayzor] #13516704 04/14/20 01:12 AM
tmd11111 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

Please re-think your post. You're getting rid of fuel but you will gain the weight of the engine batteries. Like I said in my previous post, today's battery weighs about 60 pounds. Eight of those equals 480 pounds. Is this new electric engine and how-how-many-ever batteries it has, also going to run a 36 volt trolling motor? If not, then you have 3 more batteries at another 180 pounds.

Todays math:
Equals plus 300 pounds.

Just a wild guess.

I used 50 gallons of gas and included 3 TM batteries because I'm betting when the technology advances the TM can run off the main batteries. Also Envoy is claiming that this model only weighs 330lbs which is 150lbs lighter then a 150SHO

Re: Your next outboard ? [Re: Rayzor] #13516722 04/14/20 01:21 AM
Walls Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler

Todays math:
Equals plus 300 pounds.

Just a wild guess.

They would be lithium batteries (or newer tech) My four batteries in my boat weigh less than 80# collectively right now.

Last edited by WALLS; 04/14/20 01:22 AM.
Re: Your next outboard ? [Re: SAKS] #13516779 04/14/20 02:04 AM
A
angleiron Offline
Angler
Angler
A
Originally Posted by SAKS
Never say Never.

I’m with you. Have to get rid of that green though. Can’t do green.

I’m gonna stay with phantom black!

Re: Your next outboard ? [Re: TxDanFishMan] #13516783 04/14/20 02:07 AM
rj74955 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
This thread makes me want to pull the plugs on my exhaust tuner.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide