Forums59
Topics1,038,785
Posts13,952,773
Members144,176
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
Re: Bringing it back: Do you believe there is a state record bass alive in a TX lake? [Re: LeonSulak] #13510198 04/09/20 04:16 PM
Bruce Allen Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Back in the late 80's and early 90's a couple of 20 + dead bass were found floating at Fork. These were fish that grew up in the brood ponds before the lake was completely flooded in 84. They swam out as
SAL's long before that program was put into play.

I have met one of the brothers that found the one over by the 2946 bridge. He said it was still alive but not for long. The turtles did a good job on it on one side.

So, why back then did Texas grow those biggest bass but not since then have any been caught?

Because Fork at that time was impenetrable. There were so many places bass boats could not get to because the standing timber was so thick. This is long before kayaks were ever thought about.

Now with the pressure I'd say perhaps any new lake being built and stocked by TPWD has a shot. It has been nearly 30 years since a 17 has been caught. Think Ethel.

Lake Fork Anglers
Every Thursday
Daytime Tournaments.

Lake Fork Sportsman's Association
www.lakeforksa.com/

We are VERY PROUD of our Induction into the
Texas Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Bringing it back: Do you believe there is a state record bass alive in a TX lake? [Re: Hair Jig] #13510395 04/09/20 06:14 PM
L
Lazy Ike Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Originally Posted by Hair Jig
Originally Posted by Ken A.

They swim right up to the bass like, "Oh hello, can you give me directions to the trout farm?"

roflmao roflmao roflmao

cheers That's funny right there. I GUESS most of ya'll might be too young to have seen this, and I would have missed it IF my dad hd not showed it to me.A article& photo. in sports page. CIRCA 73/ 76 of what would of shattered the current STATE RECORD. Caught by my boss. Out of his private pond. In the Dallas city limits, {was over 20lbs.} Aint No fish story.

Last edited by Lazy Ike; 04/10/20 02:56 AM. Reason: spelling
Re: Bringing it back: Do you believe there is a state record bass alive in a TX lake? [Re: LeonSulak] #13510619 04/09/20 07:56 PM
RATZ Online Happy
Activity Coordinator
Online Happy
Activity Coordinator
she's out there somewhere

If God is your co-pilot then change seats

https://abaltcustomlures.com/

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Bringing it back: Do you believe there is a state record bass alive in a TX lake? [Re: Ken A.] #13510706 04/09/20 08:35 PM
fivebites Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by Bruce Allen
Back in the late 80's and early 90's a couple of 20 + dead bass were found floating at Fork. These were fish that grew up in the brood ponds before the lake was completely flooded in 84. They swam out as
SAL's long before that program was put into play.

I have met one of the brothers that found the one over by the 2946 bridge. He said it was still alive but not for long. The turtles did a good job on it on one side.

So, why back then did Texas grow those biggest bass but not since then have any been caught?

Because Fork at that time was impenetrable. There were so many places bass boats could not get to because the standing timber was so thick. This is long before kayaks were ever thought about.

Now with the pressure I'd say perhaps any new lake being built and stocked by TPWD has a shot. It has been nearly 30 years since a 17 has been caught. Think Ethel.

This is the most reasonable answer to Fork of all. Nice Bruce. Is there one out there? Maybe.
I have serious doubts about an 18+ in our Texas waters. Don't get me wrong. Nothing would make me prouder of Texas than for someone to catch a 20 pound bass in ANY LAKE, public or private in the Lone Star State!

Private land owners have been trying to grow an 18+ since the beginning of time and nobody has done it yet. I truly believe there is a ceiling of about 16 pounds for largemouth bass here in NTX. The weather gets too hot in the summer & too cold in the winter for optimum growth. At one point 20 years ago I would have bet my last dollar there was a 20 pounder living in Fork. Not any more!

We've had this debate many times on here. The reason Cali has grown several 20+ pound bass is pretty simple. The weather is much milder than NTX. The water temp at Lake Casitas never drops below 55 in the winter and never gets above 80 in the summer. The bass there live in air conditioned comfort - they live longer & are less stressed so they get bigger.

Plus they stock rainbow trout from Oct thru March for the locals to catch. Those trout are farm raised and have never seen another fish in their lives except for a mirror image trout so they have no fear of any predators. There is a video floating around of several DD bass under a dock at a Cali marina waiting for the trout truck. The truck shows up & dumps the trout and the feeding begins. It's not even what I would call a frenzy. The stupid trout have no fear of the bass. Some of the trout even after being engulfed & released by a bass won't flee for their lives.

They swim right up to the bass like, "Oh hello, can you give me directions to the trout farm?" They are such easy prey for the bass. They expend virtually no energy to eat those protein-rich trout. That's why they get so big in Cali.

The problem in your equation here Ken is that they DID get that big with the same weather conditions at Lake Fork. Agreed on the Cali fish. If it wasn't in California I'd move to San Diego! Bruce's explanation of how they got that big at Fork is the best answer I've heard. But there is always a chance she's out there!

2019 Chevy Tahoe
2018 Basscat Eyra 250 Proxs
PB Wife of 32 years!
PB Largemouth 9.56 Ray Roberts
Re: Bringing it back: Do you believe there is a state record bass alive in a TX lake? [Re: LeonSulak] #13511230 04/10/20 01:44 AM
C
cali kid Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
C
Give it one more year, there was a 16 plus caught at Fork this year

Re: Bringing it back: Do you believe there is a state record bass alive in a TX lake? [Re: LeonSulak] #13511291 04/10/20 02:26 AM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
It will take a lake going through a new cycle such as flooding or extreme drought then flooding in my opinion. Such as falcon a few years after it fills up. If it wasn't for the cycles of flooding Rayburn wouldn't be half the lake it is now.

Re: Bringing it back: Do you believe there is a state record bass alive in a TX lake? [Re: fivebites] #13511294 04/10/20 02:27 AM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
Originally Posted by fivebites
The problem in your equation here Ken is that they DID get that big with the same weather conditions at Lake Fork. Agreed on the Cali fish. If it wasn't in California I'd move to San Diego! Bruce's explanation of how they got that big at Fork is the best answer I've heard. But there is always a chance she's out there!

No arguing that Lake Fork was an anomaly Randy. However all lakes have a life cycle, even the Mighty Fork. I have been in water treatment for almost 30 years so that makes me kind of a water doctor so to speak. hmmm

Timber, vegetation, flooded debris begins to degrade & rot over the years. As it does it begins to emit sulfate reducing bacteria (SRB) in the process. Many of us have waded in a lake or pond and smelled a foul rotten egg smell as we pulled our feet from the muck. Those are SRB's you are smelling.

SRB's occur in water, sediment, or water with a lot of decaying organic material like our lakes. The sulfate-reducing microorganisms reduce sulfate over time and emit acidic sulfide as waste. The chemical reaction that happens during this process depletes the dissolved oxygen in the water thereby making it less inhabitable for all marine life.

The acid produced by the SRB's lower the pH as well. This is why most private lake owners add tons of lime to their lakes about once a decade. The lime (calcium carbonate) helps buffer the pH of the water back up to a more neutral & healthy for freshwater fish life range of 7-8. The pH on the bottom of a lake can be as low as 1.0 if SRB's are present. This pH will not support most types of aquatic vegetation.

If left unchecked, the depletion of oxygen & lower pH levels will support much less plankton in the lake. Without plankton, the threadfin shad, glass minnows, baby bluegill population have no food source. It takes a TON of baitfish for a bass to grow to even ten pounds, much less state record status. All the stars have to align.

Additionally with the lack of grass in the lake, the baby fish have less habitat to hide in and survive the first few months of their life. Big fish eat little fish. It is the cycle of life.

This is not to say Lake Fork is doomed by any means. All lakes cycle but it is not a matter of months. It is years or even decades. It has been 18 years since Fork produced the State Record. All indicators would tell me that Fork is not capable of producing an 18 pound bass in the immediate future.

Don't get me wrong. I would love to see it happen. I would love to see ANY lake in TX produce a fish larger than 18 pounds public or private.

Re: Bringing it back: Do you believe there is a state record bass alive in a TX lake? [Re: LeonSulak] #13511305 04/10/20 02:32 AM
M
mhall1986 Offline
Angler
Angler
M
Naconiche

Re: Bringing it back: Do you believe there is a state record bass alive in a TX lake? [Re: Dean Coleman] #13511336 04/10/20 02:51 AM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
Originally Posted by Dean Coleman

Where’s the link to that video...I’d love to see that!

I can't find it any longer. I am pretty sure it was done by Mike Long. He pulled all his stuff down when he got outted for snagging.

Re: Bringing it back: Do you believe there is a state record bass alive in a TX lake? [Re: Ken A.] #13511360 04/10/20 03:05 AM
B
bassmanrudy Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted by Dean Coleman

Where’s the link to that video...I’d love to see that!

I can't find it any longer. I am pretty sure it was done by Mike Long. He pulled all his stuff down when he got outted for snagging.

Yeah it used to be everywhere but I can't find it either. HUGE bass just swimming up to 12" trout and eating em! Was super clear water and high def footage too. Will have to do some digging tomorrow and find out where those videos went.

Re: Bringing it back: Do you believe there is a state record bass alive in a TX lake? [Re: LeonSulak] #13511370 04/10/20 03:13 AM
S
Skeeter man ZX225 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
She is swimming in Richland Chambers

Re: Bringing it back: Do you believe there is a state record bass alive in a TX lake? [Re: LeonSulak] #13511406 04/10/20 03:39 AM
sdavis24 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Yes...It doesn't seem far fetched that there is 1 fish in TX that is just a genetic freak in good enough conditions (doesn't need to be ideal like CA etc. etc.). Think GA June 2, 1932

Last edited by sdavis24; 04/10/20 05:08 AM.
Re: Bringing it back: Do you believe there is a state record bass alive in a TX lake? [Re: LeonSulak] #13511424 04/10/20 03:57 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Simple answer is no.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Bringing it back: Do you believe there is a state record bass alive in a TX lake? [Re: LeonSulak] #13511454 04/10/20 05:03 AM
senko9S Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I took care of "Flo" for almost 10 yrs. she got over state record size in her prime as did one other famous bass I had.

I think possibly there might be a few big girls left out there somewhere. Nac would be my guess..

Re: Bringing it back: Do you believe there is a state record bass alive in a TX lake? [Re: LeonSulak] #13511457 04/10/20 05:19 AM
JacksonBean Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity

Unfortunately I think Ken is spot on. Cali repeatedly produces these super giants because of the conditions and all we have are sightings of what could be a big fish.

There’s a chance for a statistical anomaly like Biwa that’s swimming around in one of our bigger lakes but I can’t say I’d put money on her being caught.

With the Florida strain being so hard to catch, I’m not sure we will ever know for sure.

But I’d LOVE to be wrong.

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide