Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: New jig rod?? [Re: HOGON] #13495304 03/31/20 06:30 AM
K
KBW Offline
Angler
Angler
K
On a side note, I have a 12’ Bonehead (black) I’m wanting to trade for an ACC 12’.
Lake Fork area.

Re: New jig rod?? [Re: Coolarrow] #13495337 03/31/20 11:01 AM
Gamblinman Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I love my G Rods.

Re: New jig rod?? [Re: Coolarrow] #13495371 03/31/20 11:42 AM
C
Coolarrow Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
I wasn’t trying to start a brand debate.. was really just wondering about the pro’s and cons of using a longer rod fishing timber. The ability to reach out a little more without having to position the boat..

Re: New jig rod?? [Re: HOGON] #13495394 03/31/20 12:13 PM
J
jig master Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
hammer

Yeah I scratched my head on that one too
Originally Posted by HOGON
You had a problem slinging in Hogs with an ACC 10' rod? Seriously?

Wow that just blows me away.

Opinions and Experiences vary no doubt.

My experience:

I'll sling hogs in all day long with a 10' ACC. Zero problem.

What this really boils down to is personal preference like anything with fishing.

Fish with whatever rod works best for you.

Yeah I said the same thing as everyone has their opinions. I’m a very honest person and I’m telling you I purchased a huck and Sunday it couldn’t light a candle to an ACC and I’m no sponsor etc. I’m telling it like it is. The huck will get used on piles with smaller fish.

Last edited by jig master; 03/31/20 12:19 PM.

Don't believe everything you hear and half of what you see . Living for the Thump !!
Re: New jig rod?? [Re: Coolarrow] #13495397 03/31/20 12:18 PM
J
jig master Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by Coolarrow
I wasn’t trying to start a brand debate.. was really just wondering about the pro’s and cons of using a longer rod fishing timber. The ability to reach out a little more without having to position the boat..

Originally Posted by Coolarrow

Yes sir and what I would use is a 10 footer. Get you a 10 footer so you can be off the pile and still reach both edges and the back sides on some. I’m not saying you won’t have to re position once you learn they are on the edge of the back side of the pile or wind changes especially if it’s a huge pile etc. But a longer rod will take some of the stress out. I would go with ACC. JS

Last edited by jig master; 03/31/20 12:21 PM.

Don't believe everything you hear and half of what you see . Living for the Thump !!
Re: New jig rod?? [Re: Coolarrow] #13495455 03/31/20 12:51 PM
B
bush hog Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Just something else to consider about a 10 ft. or longer rod. I was using a couple 10 footers when I started having elbow pains to the point it hurt trying to bring a fish in the boat. I went back to my 7 footers and have not had anymore problems in the last couple years. This is probably just a problem for me. Don't know your age but if you're long in the tooth like me, you might want to consider this.

To whom much is given, much is required.
Re: New jig rod?? [Re: Coolarrow] #13496182 03/31/20 06:56 PM
B
BP5168 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
No brand debating here, and I take everyone on this boards word depending on what it is. Hard to "fake it" with what rods sling em in or not. If you guys say your ACC slings em in, they sling em in. I need to reuse mine and see.

Re: New jig rod?? [Re: BP5168] #13496871 04/01/20 02:28 AM
C
CRAPPIEboy33 Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Originally Posted by BP5168
Originally Posted by jig master
ACC crappie sticks are by far the best. I think it was about a year ago Or so I posted I was still on the fence. Now after a year of using them they are the best to me. I also purchased the dock shooter and I love it. I’ve had a lot of rods and let me tell you these rods get thrown around as I am tuff on equipment and they have held up great. No bs. Most of the other rods are ok like a Huckabee I purchased but can’t flip the hogs like I catch in the boat like an ACC. Also the eyelets hold up well where the Huckabee doesn’t. Even B & M rods I’ve had don’t hold up to the ACC rods in my opinion. I prefer 10 footers on brush piles and timer so I’m not spooking my piles etc , 8 footers on pylons and 5.6 for shooting docks. The only 7 footers on my boat is for bait casting for them big ole hybrids in the summer or white bass for a little fun. JS

I've used all those rods including Bonehead rods, and I have a severely different opinion ... ACC to me was a rod that had trouble flippin big ones in the boat. Huckabee was top notch. Bonehead was right up there as for flipping em in. ACC, not so much.

Just my experience.

I’d have to agree with this. You not beating a huckabee on backbone.

Re: New jig rod?? [Re: Coolarrow] #13496921 04/01/20 03:12 AM
K
KidKrappie Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Longer rods come in handy when boat fishing for sure.

As for rods. It’s all personal preference. The craze nowadays is to flip fish in the boat with little fight on broomstick rods like huckabee rods or H and h rods. This isn’t fun to me.

Acc rods are better but still too stiff for me.

I prefer noodle rods that make a 10 in fish feel like a 14 incher. I prefer sniper rods that my buddy makes or bnm. Just because a rod is noodle does not mean you can’t swing fish in the boat either.

It really just comes down to what you prefer.

Last edited by fishin'aholic2; 04/01/20 03:13 AM.
Re: New jig rod?? [Re: Coolarrow] #13496933 04/01/20 03:24 AM
K
Ken Gaby Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
I've always wanted to stay as far away from the structure I am fishing as comfortably as I can. My shortest rods for fishing BPs or timber is 8ft. However, I use a 10 ft about 75% of the time. If you haven't noticed, almost everyone using livescope has gone to 12 ft rods. Must be a reason. One friend of mine who guides said after watching the fish spook so many times, he wondered how he ever caught fish with an 8 ft rod.
I'd get a good 10 fter which is light enough to fish for 5-6 hours without hurting your shoulder or elbow. Not all rods are made the same.
I've been fishing ProAnglers for about 10 years and am very well pleased, good materials, light, sensitive, good backbone and won't break the bank.

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Re: New jig rod?? [Re: Ken Gaby] #13496991 04/01/20 06:26 AM
F
Fishbonz Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted by Ken Gaby
I've always wanted to stay as far away from the structure I am fishing as comfortably as I can. My shortest rods for fishing BPs or timber is 8ft. However, I use a 10 ft about 75% of the time. If you haven't noticed, almost everyone using livescope has gone to 12 ft rods. Must be a reason. One friend of mine who guides said after watching the fish spook so many times, he wondered how he ever caught fish with an 8 ft rod.
I'd get a good 10 fter which is light enough to fish for 5-6 hours without hurting your shoulder or elbow. Not all rods are made the same.
I've been fishing ProAnglers for about 10 years and am very well pleased, good materials, light, sensitive, good backbone and won't break the bank.

+1 thumb

HE aka Fishbonz
Re: New jig rod?? [Re: Fishbonz] #13497200 04/01/20 01:49 PM
L
Lazy Ike Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Originally Posted by Fishbonz
Originally Posted by Ken Gaby

+1 thumb

fish got 2 8ft&1 10ft P.A. x3 lol

Re: New jig rod?? [Re: Coolarrow] #13497950 04/01/20 11:57 PM
B
Bottom_Bouncer Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
The longer rods work well to vertical fish heavy cover either from the bank or the boat. I mainly use 9' and 10 rods'. However, In the spring I will fish a 12' using a B'n'M Bucks Mini reel. That light reel allows me to fish the longer rod without it being too heavy. A 12' rod paired with a spinning reel or baitcaster gets a little heavy for me.

A good tip for fishing the longer rod is to find the ballance point. You find the ballance point by finding the spot where the rod ballances on one finger.

BnM Poles- Quality Rods For Over 60 Years
Lake Fork Trophy Lures - providing innovative, quality (pro-tested and proven) fishing lures made in the U.S.A.
Bee Ready- Rod Holders for a Lifetime
Re: New jig rod?? [Re: Coolarrow] #13498023 04/02/20 01:08 AM
S
Slewfoot Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
I use a half dozen different brand rods depending on what I’m doing but since your asking about longer rods I like the Jenko 10-11’ KR series. I like the 8’ Pro Angers for brush but didn’t care for any of their longer rods. Didn’t like the older huckabees or boneheaded either cause they were too heavy and I’m not a fan of ceramic guides! Never tried an ACC but they don’t float like the PAs or the Jenkos! Buddy dropped a 10’ one in the lake and it sank like a rock! To be fair it had a big reel on it. I’ve never fished the new huckabees but I liked the Phantom 13 and the 9’ ones at the crappie expo. If money wasn’t a problem I might use a G Rod but I’m hard on stuff. I Love swimming jigs with my 7’r though. Go somewhere like lakeside tacke. Or wet rooster or Thumpers and get your paws on as many as you can and decide. Like said above hold it where it balances and you won’t get tired. I use the cheap abu Garcia black max baitcasters and hold them upside down with one hand above the reel and they balance perfect and i can fish them all day. I reel upside down when I get a fish if I need too no problem. Works for me anyhow.

Slew fish

Re: New jig rod?? [Re: Coolarrow] #13499586 04/03/20 02:18 AM
A
Austin_Smedley Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
A
I run 10’ Pro Anglers for standing timber, 8’ Pro Anglers for casting and a short little All Star for shooting. Haven’t had any problems with any of them. I broke the tip off of several Academy H2O’s before buying Pro Angler rods. A whole bunch of folks make great rods. Just depends on what you’re doing and how much you want to spend.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide