Forums59
Topics1,039,369
Posts13,963,475
Members144,202
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Personal opinion what to base lure choice [Re: Jpurdue] #13374480 12/16/19 06:33 PM
B
balazs Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Originally Posted by Jpurdue
Originally Posted by balazs
Originally Posted by SenkoSam

I don't believe a fish's brain is any better in the fifth year of life than the first month after being spawned. It can't and doesn't learn by experience as many of us have noticed after counting the holes in a previously caught fish.

LOL, I had to stop reading at this point. All of the fish in the pics you posted are within the first year of their life.

Yeah, this is just wrong man. There are a bunch of scientific studies that have been done on this. These will be easy to google up. There are certainly some fish that are prone to be caught over and over again, however there are some fish that rarely if ever get caught. Again, lots of studies done on this with trackers, tags, and in ponds they've drained. Also, fish absolutely "learn" lures. Go throw a spinnerbait in a new pond and count how many fish you catch. Then go again and throw it. Count. Overtime your catches will go down because the fish start to associate the spinnerbait with getting caught. Switch over to soft plastics and low and behold your numbers go back up. I've looked at tens of thousands of data points on this. It's definitely a real thing.

I don't think fish are smart, but like most creatures with a brain, even a simple one, they can definitely learn to associate certain movements, sounds, etc... with pain or a bad experience and thus go out of their way to avoid them.

You don't even have to read a scientific study. After one season of bass fishing you can learn that a 1 pounder is exponentially easier to sight fish off a bed than a 6 pounder.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Personal opinion what to base lure choice [Re: crapyetr] #13374881 12/17/19 03:25 AM
S
SenkoSam Online Content OP
Pro Angler
OP Online Content
Pro Angler
S
Originally Posted by crapyetr
for years i've been marking fish i've caught...bass / crapy / perch...by using a paper hole punch, creating a hole in the tail, even in the anal fin and dorsal fin if i catch them 3 - 4 times...the hole grows back, looking/feeling like a wart...i caught crapy last week and on the next day, caught one that i'd caught the day before...kinda interesting thing to do, even in a lake

I like the way you think !!

Granted, according to Jones, fish may become wary of a certain lure, but who in heck catches the same fish on the same lure any time in the future much less warns other fish from attacking it. I never use the same lure all day if not for just for the variety but the challenge of catching fish on different ones. Even my presentations are varied depending where I am on the water. If a lake had 5,000 or more fish, I'm pretty sure I can usually catch a decent percentage and not worry fish will run and hide when they hear my trolling motor from 40' away.

Last edited by SenkoSam; 12/17/19 03:26 AM.
Re: Personal opinion what to base lure choice [Re: SenkoSam] #13374928 12/17/19 04:51 AM
sdavis24 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by SenkoSam
sdavis24 - Didn't know that about Tom Mann - sad that he was broke before he passed away. A true innovator of lure design before Gary Y exploded on the scene. I still use some of Mann's lures and modify them at times to work better. I also remember seeing a photo of Leroy Brown in Mann's giant aquarium. That was one BIG FISH and male to boot ! Interesting article. Glen Lau/Homer Circle underwater videos (a collection I still have unfortunately on VHS tapes) were very instructive when it came to large bass responses to various lures in clear water. Circle was popular long before Jones made his name writing for Bassmaster Magazine, but Jones was more scientific in his approach - usually.

I've read and reread Knowing Bass by Keith Jones for over 15 years and see the logic of his findings regarding fish senses and behavior. Too bad it was taken out of circulation. From a fish biologist's point of view this stood out, though many may disagree:
...it's ironic that modern day bass anglers chose lures based on what they think bass might like to see. Aside from the obvious strategy of "matching the hatch" (not always the best approach by any means), anglers often have no reasonable idea about the best lures to use. All too frequently our choices are based on what looks good to us, and we can only hope fish agree. .....what anglers believe a bass (fish) sees and what it is likely the bass sees are often miles apart.
p.136

This describes the above:
"Little wonder that lure designers (working for lure companies) cater to what might politely be called the "jewelry effect" - designing lures that catch the angler's eye."
"...whether a lure's sound is natural or artificial, bass don't know the difference but in the end fish only see what it was designed to perceive." and
" a lure's effectiveness depends on an animal's capacity for response."
Capacity for response includes everything such as activity level, degree of an angler's ability to coerce/ provoke/ incite fish to strike lures, which lure types to use and when, water quality, etc.

thumb O'l Leroy being trained to jump through the hoop was the part that surprised me

Last edited by sdavis24; 12/17/19 04:52 AM.
Re: Personal opinion what to base lure choice [Re: SenkoSam] #13375224 12/17/19 04:06 PM
S
SenkoSam Online Content OP
Pro Angler
OP Online Content
Pro Angler
S
Just thought of something that applies to lure shape. During WWII, plane spotters in the US and Great Britain were part of a citizen observation corp that volunteered to identify enemy aircraft that may endanger cities. Silhouettes of enemy aircraft were memorized just in case an alert was necessary in a night attack. It made me wonder about the various lure shapes fish are attuned to that they respond to almost reflexively. Here are what I call mini-sticks that were derived from 4" French Fries commonly used to catch bass:
[Linked Image]

I've use similar mini-grub sticks (shown in the above posts) and caught panfish, bass and catfish. These are a bit thicker but are equal in length - 2", and exhibit the same action rigged wacky style (light ball head jigs hooked in the middle) or the usual way from either end. The fact that they look like caterpillars is purely coincidental. But aside from that, their shape, size and wiggle should get fish to strike like no tomorrow. Like they say in crime shows: they fit the profile....

If a curl tail was attached to one end, I doubt the lure would work nearly as well because a curl tail alters a grub's action and profile which prompts fewer strikes if used the same ways.

On another forum, an angler made a tube lure minus the skirt using a metal spike dipped in hot plastic. I would have never thought the lure could get hit, but he's shown photos of saltwater and freshwater species that attacked it. Many other anglers on that forum really loved it, so there must be something about the basic profile and action that get fish to strike. I will make a few myself just to see if they work where I fish. Here's what it looks like:
[Linked Image]

Here's another example of a similar lure profile and action all sizes of fish and species attack:
[Linked Image]

Last edited by SenkoSam; 12/17/19 06:35 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide