Forums59
Topics1,039,587
Posts13,967,024
Members144,208
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: MLF Hearing Fans but not Listening [Re: Mark Jones] #13361571 12/04/19 11:25 PM
T
the skipper Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Mark Jones
Originally Posted by the skipper
Chris, the data is on their platforms across digital, social, in app, live and TV. Fans “vote” with their time, attention and eyeballs. You don’t need a poll to see how many people are on your platforms, how long they’re there, how many times they login, how many live minutes they consume and how much TV they watch.

All that data and analytics is easy work in a 2019/20 world. Audience insights, demographics and measurement is how you know. Not a poll on the TFF.

Again, I’m not arguing with anyone or trying to talk them out of their opinion. Just saying we should add quant into the discussion if we want it to be meaningful and by meaningful I mean accurate.

My question is if the majority likes the dink fest then why are they changing their biggest tournament? So far they have acknowledged every issue that has come across the internet forums such as the live well bashing and stuff. Now they are trying to tackle the little fish mentality. That doesnt exactly say that they believe the majority likes what they are doing. I understand that things will change but if all was good then why such drastic measures to make changes, obvious fluff pieces to address the stigma and so on? That's not a bash. I see them surviving in some fashion and I knew from day one there would be lots of changes. Just simply my opinion

Skipper, the Heavy Hitters event has been in the works for quite some time. Let me break this down into a couple of things because in these threads I think it gets lost.

I can answer a person who says no one's watching and that everyone hates it by providing a response that the numbers simply don't support the pitch that everyone hates it, they in fact support that more people like it. Secondly, that doesn't mean that MLF stakeholders aren't listening to the five fish guys that it might not be their favorite. Example, Heavy Hitters will be a test of a creative format to see what the response is. The beauty of the MLF deal is they can collectively as a group decide what adjustments, if any, they'd like to make and deploy them.

Again, not being flippant here but guys will come on here and scream "hey listen to me and change the format" then that very same person will come up with something completely opposite to say if for some reason they actually change the format. It's crazy. Lol.

So true. Heck, maybe I've done it and dont remember. Lol

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: MLF Hearing Fans but not Listening [Re: Mark Perry] #13361597 12/04/19 11:55 PM
Mark Jones Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by Mark Perry
Yes Champ for 2020 it will.

Are you saying the Heavy Hitter event is replacing the Redcrest in 2020? ...I thought it was an add on event. I might be misunderstanding your reply to Champ though.

MP, I’m sorry I missed this. No it’s not replacing didn’t mean to confuse that.

Jonesy

Re: MLF Hearing Fans but not Listening [Re: Mark Jones] #13361600 12/04/19 11:56 PM
B
Burgerboy Offline
Angler
Angler
B
Originally Posted by shotgunwilly
Chris, the data is on their platforms across digital, social, in app, live and TV. Fans “vote” with their time, attention and eyeballs. You don’t need a poll to see how many people are on your platforms, how long they’re there, how many times they login, how many live minutes they consume and how much TV they watch.

All that data and analytics is easy work in a 2019/20 world. Audience insights, demographics and measurement is how you know. Not a poll on the TFF.

Again, I’m not arguing with anyone or trying to talk them out of their opinion. Just saying we should add quant into the discussion if we want it to be meaningful and by meaningful I mean accurate.

Yeah... but you can also skew numbers and cherry pick "data" in your favor to make something look like it's all roses, which is a very common practice in everything from public advertisement graphics, to proposals to sponsors, to the financial books within a company. Just a minor example would be the [censored] "BPT" vs "BASS" earnings graphic they put out at the beginning of the year.

This is the first year and they had a large influx and boost to viewings because it was new. (Even though everyone I know watched maybe the first 2 tournaments, and then never had a clue when the others were happening and didn't care.) I'm willing to bet that the growth will not continue in the next few years to come. (In its current format.) Smoke and mirrors only last so long.

You’re assuming all of these things with zero context of their business. I have seen the data and not the data used in a presentation but the raw data and metrics.

They look at a lot of data points across all of their channels and each is different and provides different insight into the platforms, their reach and the consumer. It’s a learning process and I’ll say again. It’s the end of year one. Do you honestly believe there won’t be improvements/adjustments based on their learnings behind this data?

How much of the data is a result of users having to hit refresh when it freezes , having to log back in, therefore one person now looks like two people ? It is all subjective.
I enjoy the on tv product, just not the exceptionally dirty politics , marketing, and all around poor sportsmanship on the business side of the house. MLF is the only league that posts money earned in other leagues on their athletes profiles. While not totally dishonest, it certainly is not truthful. The business side is shady.
I hope they are around, I believe they will be around and I also think early on they have done a great job with non-endemic sponsors. I do find it very telling that the anti MLF are so vocal about some of the above things I have mentioned. That tells you, that you have a problem with the hardcore angler and fan.

Re: MLF Hearing Fans but not Listening [Re: sprigsss] #13361601 12/04/19 11:56 PM
C
champRD Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Sprigsss if you go back and look at Mr Jones response to my question I think that is what has happened.

Re: MLF Hearing Fans but not Listening [Re: sprigsss] #13361608 12/05/19 12:01 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Following this thread is about as confusing as trying to follow one of their tourneys. crazy

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: MLF Hearing Fans but not Listening [Re: sprigsss] #13361618 12/05/19 12:08 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
I’ll add this.....

The ONLY time I hear about this BPT stuff is when their is a change and then MJ comes in here to try and rescue what doesn’t need rescuing. ....then MFL stuff is gone again....until the next change.

I get a BASSMASTER magazine each month that keeps their trail fresh for me, even when they aren’t having tourneys.

As for the “MLF gets the most viewers”? If they count each time you log on to watch an event, they SHOULD
ALSO SUBTRACT THE NUMBER OF TIMES YOU GET DISCONNECTED AS WELL! I think that would give a more accurate, and sobering, metric. The one time I tried to watch, I had to log on 20x an hour to watch. Lol. I logged on once per day to watch the Elites.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: MLF Hearing Fans but not Listening [Re: Mark Jones] #13361689 12/05/19 01:32 AM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak

Are you saying the Heavy Hitter event is replacing the Redcrest in 2020? ...I thought it was an add on event. I might be misunderstanding your reply to Champ though.

Jonesy

Thanks Mark. Appreciate the reply. cheers

Re: MLF Hearing Fans but not Listening [Re: Mark Jones] #13361695 12/05/19 01:37 AM
Neal G Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by champRD
Typically when a new start up (read new business model) gets reactive in the first year it's not a good sign. Investors looking for ROI that are confident in what's going on won't mess with that direction for a few years just from a credibility standpoint. Could be wrong but it would make me a little nervous on how the guys backing this are going to be if it's not getting the major return from the jump.

This is an interesting POV. One fan says "hear me, react to me!" another fan says "stick to your guns (format)!"

I think that's one of the advantages of a startup. You can listen, respond and pivot quicker. The second part of this is there are a number of stakeholders in this venture. It's not just Kroenke or Johnny Morris, it's a large group and they actually have a plan believe it or not. They have to address a three headed monster consisting of their fans, their anglers and their sponsors. It's a lot to manage to say the least. They are working through this thoughtfully and trying to manage this as they're moving very quickly.

Is anyone paying attention at all to what they've pulled off in a little over a year? They started a new league, onboarded a ton of new hires, built a full digital platform, moved to large scale live production, managed the setup of a full series of events and now have acquired FLW. Wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that an endeavor of that scale would come with some bumps in the road? Wouldn't it also be reasonable to assume that startups aren't profitable in the short term? I'm not sure how many business owners there are on this forum but it sure seems like there's a lot of armchair quarterbacks who think they could do better.

No one here has all of the context, only the major stakeholders there do. Let this thing marinate. They'll get it all figured out. Too many smart and talented people over there.

Lastly, I'm not sure what it does for anyone who comes on here and post about their impending doom. If they don't make it in five years and you get to come back to a forum and say "I told you so!", what value does that provide you in your life? Most of you posting don't even use your real names, so how can we even give you credit for your prognostication if it were to come true? hmmm

This post should be in the paid sponsor plug section.

Secondly, and I will word this mildly - Johnny twisting Jim's arm is so obvious it hurts my arm

Re: MLF Hearing Fans but not Listening [Re: SteezMacQueen] #13361793 12/05/19 03:53 AM
Mark Jones Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
I’ll add this.....

The ONLY time I hear about this BPT stuff is when their is a change and then MJ comes in here to try and rescue what doesn’t need rescuing. ....then MFL stuff is gone again....until the next change.

I get a BASSMASTER magazine each month that keeps their trail fresh for me, even when they aren’t having tourneys.

As for the “MLF gets the most viewers”? If they count each time you log on to watch an event, they SHOULD
ALSO SUBTRACT THE NUMBER OF TIMES YOU GET DISCONNECTED AS WELL! I think that would give a more accurate, and sobering, metric. The one time I tried to watch, I had to log on 20x an hour to watch. Lol. I logged on once per day to watch the Elites.

Lol, if anything you guys are persistent. And no I’m not talking about clicks or impressions. I’ll leave you guys to your naysaying...

Re: MLF Hearing Fans but not Listening [Re: Mark Perry] #13361794 12/05/19 03:54 AM
Mark Jones Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler

Jonesy

Thanks Mark. Appreciate the reply. cheers

No problem good sir. cheers

Re: MLF Hearing Fans but not Listening [Re: sprigsss] #13361844 12/05/19 05:48 AM
T
tejasbass Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
I love the format. I'm still a big fan of a five fish limit. I'm also a big fan of trying new things. This is a great concept. Your biggest fish in each of the first 5 tournaments = your qualifying weight. Then they are only taking the top 30 of 80. I like the way the minimum weight increases each day of the tourney. That really changes things up when your focusing on a 1 pound scorable bass one day, then 2 pounds, then 3. They will really have to be strategic as the tournament progresses.

Re: MLF Hearing Fans but not Listening [Re: sprigsss] #13362046 12/05/19 03:04 PM
B
Big O Florida Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
I’ve read with interest this thread and the topic about how the viewership data and analytics are playing into how MLF and it’s sponsors respond. The one thing that is glaringly missing from all of it is how the consumers of products the sponsors are selling are reacting to the steady stream of bad publicity coming out about MLF. If MLF thinks they can sell media space to sponsors without thinking how their reputation as a business impacts such decisions, they are terribly miscalculating what a key driver is.

The Luke Dunkin incident was a huge blemish, but prior to and since that transpired there has been multiple other PR damaging incidents. The arbitrary cancellation of the FW cup which effectively removed an opportunity for a huge payout to all that qualified was just the start. Which was a minimum $10k for everyone. That was before the sale to MLF even closed, but Boyd Duckett of MLF was the one that announced its cancellation without any rational reason or offer of making things good to the people that decision screwed. The recent departure of two BPT anglers and the subsequent damning interviews they gave strongly indicating there is a culture of secrecy and fear, and that there are many more anglers who would also depart if it wasn’t for the huge get out of jail fines, have cost MLF much more in sponsorship confidence than the $100k they received in fines levied against Brandon and Gerald. Then we have the recent revelation that MLF won’t honor the commitment that FLW entered into as a partnership with the Bass Federation League, where a young kid is now screwed out of the FLW partnership portion of the live the dream winnings he earned, which, comparatively was a paltry 1/2 of a years entry fees into FLW pro tour. The bass federation is honoring its commitment and giving the kid a truck, boat, and paying 1/2 of the fees, but MLF left the kid to fend for himself on the other $20k. That’s bad, bad, bad... and that is going to blow up in their faces... it already has.

With so many PR disasters happening, this isn’t being viewed a “bumps in the road” thing for a new startup as some might suggest, but a pattern of bad corporate conduct and shows the MLF organization and its leadership has low moral character and integrity and their mission statement about fostering grass roots is nothing but a hypocritical sales pitch.

I can imagine all the sponsors for MLF are hearing from concerned customers, and that alone will have a much bigger impact than any viewership statistics that MLF can use in its pitch decks to sponsors that highlight the data, which by the way can be manipulated to suit just about any agenda. I predict the sponsors in the industry are very leery of MLF at this point, and rightfully so!

Re: MLF Hearing Fans but not Listening [Re: sprigsss] #13362100 12/05/19 03:51 PM
Chris B Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
welcome

[Linked Image]
Re: MLF Hearing Fans but not Listening [Re: Chris B] #13362106 12/05/19 03:57 PM
B
BASSCATONE Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I am amused by the constant "conservation" clips about how good it is for the fish. True, the format is good for the fish BUT if you are going to get a two minute penalty for a drop on the carpet.....some of these guys do this darn near every fish. After two drops make it a 10 minute penalty and they WILL STOP dropping them! What you think?!

Re: MLF Hearing Fans but not Listening [Re: Big O Florida] #13362118 12/05/19 04:13 PM
F
Fishing on a string Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
I agree the guys that fished the costas last year and did good got screwed, Matt Pangrack on BTL even brought it up about how he had a chance to go to the cup and get 10 grand. So if the sponsors are happy and the algorithm is showing no problems then why is there so much talk and defense? I promise there’s a lot more to the back stories that’s not being told on how the anglers feel. Like others have said time tells all no mater who defends a stance.

Originally Posted by Big O Florida
I’ve read with interest this thread and the topic about how the viewership data and analytics are playing into how MLF and it’s sponsors respond. The one thing that is glaringly missing from all of it is how the consumers of products the sponsors are selling are reacting to the steady stream of bad publicity coming out about MLF. If MLF thinks they can sell media space to sponsors without thinking how their reputation as a business impacts such decisions, they are terribly miscalculating what a key driver is.

The Luke Dunkin incident was a huge blemish, but prior to and since that transpired there has been multiple other PR damaging incidents. The arbitrary cancellation of the FW cup which effectively removed an opportunity for a huge payout to all that qualified was just the start. Which was a minimum $10k for everyone. That was before the sale to MLF even closed, but Boyd Duckett of MLF was the one that announced its cancellation without any rational reason or offer of making things good to the people that decision screwed. The recent departure of two BPT anglers and the subsequent damning interviews they gave strongly indicating there is a culture of secrecy and fear, and that there are many more anglers who would also depart if it wasn’t for the huge get out of jail fines, have cost MLF much more in sponsorship confidence than the $100k they received in fines levied against Brandon and Gerald. Then we have the recent revelation that MLF won’t honor the commitment that FLW entered into as a partnership with the Bass Federation League, where a young kid is now screwed out of the FLW partnership portion of the live the dream winnings he earned, which, comparatively was a paltry 1/2 of a years entry fees into FLW pro tour. The bass federation is honoring its commitment and giving the kid a truck, boat, and paying 1/2 of the fees, but MLF left the kid to fend for himself on the other $20k. That’s bad, bad, bad... and that is going to blow up in their faces... it already has.

With so many PR disasters happening, this isn’t being viewed a “bumps in the road” thing for a new startup as some might suggest, but a pattern of bad corporate conduct and shows the MLF organization and its leadership has low moral character and integrity and their mission statement about fostering grass roots is nothing but a hypocritical sales pitch.

I can imagine all the sponsors for MLF are hearing from concerned customers, and that alone will have a much bigger impact than any viewership statistics that MLF can use in its pitch decks to sponsors that highlight the data, which by the way can be manipulated to suit just about any agenda. I predict the sponsors in the industry are very leery of MLF at this point, and rightfully so!

Originally Posted by Big O Florida

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide