Forums59
Topics1,039,655
Posts13,968,517
Members144,210
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Lake Fork Spring Spawning Season New Tournament Limits - What do you think? [Re: S Fatherree] #13293414 09/26/19 03:29 AM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
So a local could fish it everyday up and down the bank but a guide couldn't go 2-3 times a week. Makes sense

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Lake Fork Spring Spawning Season New Tournament Limits - What do you think? [Re: S Fatherree] #13293422 09/26/19 04:10 AM
RandyD Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I've been fishing this lake since about '87, I have a place on the lake since '93... so forget about the 80's, 90's, 2000's, ….those were the history making years (don't forget about the huge fish kill that happened) ... the last 10 years I've seen an incredible drop-off of quantity and size... I don't know what the problem is, or the issue, and I don't have an answer... but there is absolutely a problem building with our favorite big Bass lake (I am asking right now, TP&W show us the history of sampling data for the last 10 years, I know you have it...).. If the data proves me wrong, then "GOOD!" ... We have multiple stakeholders,... TP&W, and unfortunately the city of Dallas owns the water, the local economy that spreads for miles, Guides that make a living "guiding"... The slot has been in place for years (thankfully)... spraying is taking place in isolated areas,... BIG BASS tournaments are out the frickn wazoo... and every other weekend club, regional, big name or BIG BASS tournament circuit coming through, ….and then you have the local club tournaments... Monday night, Tuesday night, Wednesday night, Thursday night, …and now we're back to the weekend... Who owns protecting the fishery?!................................. WE do!

Require a whole lot of luck...

Re: Lake Fork Spring Spawning Season New Tournament Limits - What do you think? [Re: Txduckhunter] #13293499 09/26/19 11:55 AM
B
bbexotics Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Wrong, no tournaments during spawn, more yearlings stocked, after spawn have as many as you want.

Last edited by bbexotics; 09/26/19 11:59 AM.

13.66 sharelunker #341,14.59, PB from,"FORK"
Re: Lake Fork Spring Spawning Season New Tournament Limits - What do you think? [Re: Fast Lane] #13293550 09/26/19 01:17 PM
L
Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Yes the tournament fisherman do. I was not talking about them. Tournament trails who make a living using Texas resources do not have to purchase anything to make a living off of the resources. I or guides do ! Some of the trails make more in one tournament that most guides can make all year. The big tournaments. Do the math it might shock you.

A lot of things pointed at guides on here and not sure I understanding why,but we are on the water 200 plus days a year and we see things weekend fisherman dont see.

We most always talk with TPW about these issues to help the lake for all fisherman. Yet the weekend angler cares about nothing but himself. I dont see any of you meeting with the TPW about issues at the Lake.

Nor them contacting you and asking you what is happening at the lake. Guides take better care of the fish and fisheries IMO. Just by not putting them in the well alone. I know some run 10 plus fish in all the time for EGO as much as anything but you can buy good scales now days and have a catch and release with in minutes.

Not here to start a argument but a understand. We may agree to disagree but outside looking in approach is not understanding the issues at hand.

(Skeeter Ronnie ) your commit needs a response or maybe you did not read mine very good. TPW requires a license for a guide who uses the resources of Texas. Although it is his or her expertise they are being hired for,their boat,equipment and other stuff.Helps if the lake was famous at one time.

I can choose to guide anywhere just like tournaments can go anywhere. They still are using the resources and not giving anything back. Ever noticed how tournaments go to lakes with plenty of fish or draw good attendance, then when they use up the resources they move to another lake.

Yet a Tournament trail handles more fish in one day that guides do in a year. Lop sided numbers most of the time. Studies show 28 % die after weigh in . Studies have been done multiple times on this. I have nothing against tournaments. I do think if I have to by a license to use the resources then it is only fair they should to.Agree or disagree.

Last edited by Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell; 09/26/19 02:07 PM.
Re: Lake Fork Spring Spawning Season New Tournament Limits - What do you think? [Re: S Fatherree] #13293587 09/26/19 02:02 PM
Sinkey Offline
Tidy Scoop
Tidy Scoop
Guys....Fork is just fine, and does not get hurt by the spawn or tournaments. The loss of grass and LMBV was what I think caused the 14+ lbs fish to lower in numbers years back. But I fish the lake all the time, and I promise you, its fine. The mass numbers of fish in that lake between 7 to 10 lbs. is crazy. And still hold a lot of 10 lbs. +.
When I can fish a lake and average anywhere from 20 to 100 fish a day on it. And 10 to 20 on tough days. Ill take that all day and every day.

She is still one of the best bass lakes in the US, hands down. Just be blessed and thankful the lake is as close to us as it is. A lot of people don't even get to fish lakes like Fork or a Rayburn.

Re: Lake Fork Spring Spawning Season New Tournament Limits - What do you think? [Re: S Fatherree] #13293597 09/26/19 02:09 PM
B
Bass Buster1 Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
B
Resident Alwater guide license is $210, no offense intended, not a huge contribution. It is however, definitely more than zero which is what tournament trails contribute. I agree tournament trails should contribute something to the lakes they fish. I also take that a step further and think that the number of tournaments on a given water body should be restricted. I am thinking out of both sides of my head because I hate Govt. intervention in just about anything. I fish a few tournaments each year but I do believe that tournament pressure is out of control and is messing with fun fishing success for the average angler.

See you on the lake and have a great day!
Re: Lake Fork Spring Spawning Season New Tournament Limits - What do you think? [Re: S Fatherree] #13293609 09/26/19 02:16 PM
L
Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Sinkey you should be a GUIDE with those numbers.

Course GUIDES dont get to do that in front of customers.

We do have a good amount of upper class fish but when they die off in 1-3 years I would like to see your numbers then.

16 inch fish do not count for a big portion of spawn with very low numbers of fry.

Huge gap right now in 4-6 pound fish. They are not there nor are they shocking them up.

Glad you are catching them and I know you are a good fisherman.

Last edited by Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell; 09/26/19 02:18 PM.
Re: Lake Fork Spring Spawning Season New Tournament Limits - What do you think? [Re: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell] #13293683 09/26/19 03:11 PM
Sinkey Offline
Tidy Scoop
Tidy Scoop
Originally Posted by Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell
Sinkey you should be a GUIDE with those numbers.

Course GUIDES dont get to do that in front of customers.

No thanks. Ive taken work customers out plenty of times, and even helped other guides out there before. I hold a high respect for what you guys do......its hard work.

Re: Lake Fork Spring Spawning Season New Tournament Limits - What do you think? [Re: S Fatherree] #13293736 09/26/19 04:28 PM
D
David Burton Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
D
IMO, the reason for the guide comments is because a guide came here and again started a thread about banning toirnamanents on a lake that has a slot limit that discourages most of the normal 5-stringer tournaments.

What I find hilarious is the finger-wagging and pointing when talking about one of the arguably best managed bass lakes in the country.

The number of overs is on the up-swing, something must be right about the management with the stable water levels!

David Burton
2015 Skeeter FX 21 +Ultrex +Helix 12 (x3) +Mega360 +MegaLive
Re: Lake Fork Spring Spawning Season New Tournament Limits - What do you think? [Re: S Fatherree] #13293764 09/26/19 04:46 PM
C
criglizard Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
I'm not saying that they should change anything but if you don't think that the tournaments have a negative impact on the fishing, you are ignoring facts that tell a different story. It's not necessarily the tournaments, it's the huge amount of pressure and in many cases, more skilled anglers than the average "weekender".

But the number of tournaments, boats blowing through beds, catching males and females (in and out of slot) during the spawn....that stuff is more controllable and while we do better than most states/lakes, we aren't doing our best. Sealy tournament with 85-90 degree water....sure, go ahead and pretend all those fish lived. Like Marc said, 25% are dying afterwards (or is TPWD wrong?). Some of those 15" fish ARE the future 10lb fish. They simply never make it to that point because they were caught in September, 88 degree water, put in a livewell, and hauled around all day.

All you guys saying "it aint broke"....are you implying that the lake is as good as it can be? Surely not, so why aren't we open to logical changes to make it even better and less likely to "break" in the future. It's not what it was in the 90s (right Sinky? heard you say that a lot on here), so what guarantees it stays "not broke".

Last thing I'll say....I remember my buddies that live on Amistad in 2006 telling me that its the best lake in the world and always will be. I remember my friends and half this forum saying Falcon was the best ever. What happened there? Low water? Ok....what prevents Fork from going 10' low? Nothing. So why aren't we more proactive to plan for the inevitable problems that every single water body in the world faces throughout its history?

Re: Lake Fork Spring Spawning Season New Tournament Limits - What do you think? [Re: David Burton] #13293765 09/26/19 04:47 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
Originally Posted by David Burton
I

The number of overs is on the up-swing, something must be right about the management with the stable water levels!

You're right but stable water levels have nothing to do with management of the fishery. That's mother nature.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: Lake Fork Spring Spawning Season New Tournament Limits - What do you think? [Re: S Fatherree] #13293770 09/26/19 04:51 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
The last time the TTBC was at Fork, not the TTBF, I bet I heard twenty or more pros say where did all the schools of big fish go? IKE told me he had found one school of fish in practice. One. I won't name any more names, but these were all guys who had been to Fork before and what they were seeing on their graphs was nothing compared to what they had seen in TTBC's in past years. Yes, there were five or six guys who really caught them in that event, but the weights dropped significantly after those guys.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: Lake Fork Spring Spawning Season New Tournament Limits - What do you think? [Re: fouzman] #13293775 09/26/19 04:56 PM
D
David Burton Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
D
Originally Posted by fouzman
Originally Posted by David Burton
I

You're right but stable water levels have nothing to do with management of the fishery. That's mother nature.

Understood, please insert the word "along" where it belongs in that sentence. noidea

David Burton
2015 Skeeter FX 21 +Ultrex +Helix 12 (x3) +Mega360 +MegaLive
Re: Lake Fork Spring Spawning Season New Tournament Limits - What do you think? [Re: S Fatherree] #13293842 09/26/19 05:42 PM
Chris B Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Biggest difference I see is lack of hydrilla. When the lake was fishing better there was hydrilla everywhere. Ten years ago when Amistad was so good there was hydrilla everywhere. Five years ago when Toledo Bend was so good there was hydrilla everywhere. Up until this year Sam Rayburn had hydrilla everywhere. I can clearly see a pattern of what causes the upswings on our lakes.

[Linked Image]
Re: Lake Fork Spring Spawning Season New Tournament Limits - What do you think? [Re: Chris B] #13293853 09/26/19 05:48 PM
B
Bass Buster1 Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted by Chris B
Biggest difference I see is lack of hydrilla. When the lake was fishing better there was hydrilla everywhere. Ten years ago when Amistad was so good there was hydrilla everywhere. Five years ago when Toledo Bend was so good there was hydrilla everywhere. Up until this year Sam Rayburn had hydrilla everywhere. I can clearly see a pattern of what causes the upswings on our lakes.

AMEN!!! Why spray especially on a lake like Fork or the top half of Roberts where pleasure boating/skiing/wake boats etc.are not really a thing anyway?

See you on the lake and have a great day!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide