Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Re: Pros/cons of Toyota Tundra's [Re: Dave-0] #13271200 09/05/19 04:44 PM
elcoyote, esq. Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Dave-0
Saw this last night. All this talk about gas mileage and looks. What about the safety aspect? Tundra was the first truck. Kind of surprised at the net results.

If I were prone to hitting gigantic steel I-beams, I would be worried.

Along with not caring about MPG, I’ve never considered the crash rating of a vehicle during the purchase process.

Also, it was pretty realistic crash results. You can tell that the test dummy they used in a the ford was an old, because the blinker was on the entire time.

Team wolfs

Originally Posted by Allison1
I had to perform. It took a minute to get it all in my mouth and another five to swallow it all.

Re: Pros/cons of Toyota Tundra's [Re: elcoyote, esq.] #13271213 09/05/19 04:53 PM
GeoFisher Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by elcoyote, esq.
Originally Posted by Dave-0
Saw this last night. All this talk about gas mileage and looks. What about the safety aspect? Tundra was the first truck. Kind of surprised at the net results.

If I were prone to hitting gigantic steel I-beams, I would be worried.

Along with not caring about MPG, I’ve never considered the crash rating of a vehicle during the purchase process.

Also, it was pretty realistic crash results. You can tell that the test dummy they used in a the ford was an old, because the blinker was on the entire time.

My Skeeter did not do well in crash tests either. The Ranger was far superior.

Everything on your bass boat is broken......You just don't know it yet.
Re: Pros/cons of Toyota Tundra's [Re: patriot07] #13271238 09/05/19 05:15 PM
S
Stump jumper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by patriot07
[quote=gander][quote=patriot07][quote=gander][quote=Icepick]
What do you think you have to sacrifice owning a Chevy/Ford/Ram? I don't think Dodge makes pickups anymore.

For the record, my dad has a Tundra with just a few more miles than me (75k vs 61k in my Ram), and he's had several small fixes on his that were outside the 36k warranty. My Ram hasn't had any. New trucks these days are all very well-built. It's not the late 90s or mid 2000s anymore when certain brands had major quality issues. For the most part, they've realized that they can't be charging $30k+ for vehicles that have all sorts of issues. There are exceptions of course, but they're much more rare than they used to be.

I'm also not saying that you have to pick one truck because it gets 18 mpg and the Tundra gets 16 mpg. I'm saying the Tundra gets 16 mpg and other half tons are getting 25-30 mpg. It's not "a few mpg" difference like it was a decade ago.

Where do you get 25-30 from? Not even a mid-size gasser gets that. If you are talking diesel again then reduce the MPGs by 25% for the price difference in diesel plus the cost of DEF. Fuel that is.

2200 Bay Champ/200 Mercury Optimax
2017 Tundra TSS 4x4 Crewmax 5.7L
Re: Pros/cons of Toyota Tundra's [Re: GeoFisher] #13271255 09/05/19 05:26 PM
S
Stump jumper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by GeoFisher
These threads always get interesting. Its always the same arguments presented by different people. There are no BAD trucks anymore. All of them have +'s and -'s. I believe all of them have taken their lumps since he 90's with bad stretches of quality control. I have owned them all since 1990 and was one of those "I will never drive a foreign vehicle people". I even laughed at the first gen tundra's. One thing is for certain, the Tundra is not a "niche" truck anymore. After getting laughed out of the market (and rightfully so) with the first gen tundra's, Toyota got serious and built that gynormous plant in San Antonio to build a real 1/2 ton truck. For those arguing that the Tundra isn't American, that is true only in name. GM and Ram don't even come close to the Tundra in % American parts. Ford is the only one close. Any company who builds on American soil, with American sweat, providing for American families, paying American taxes is more American than a company taking American taxes (BAILOUT money) and then moving 1/2 your work to foreign countries (Trump just called out GM on this last week on twitter saying "You took our money and then ran off, leaving those who helped you behind!!)

From what I understand, the plant is San Antonio makes Tacoma's 1/2 the year and Tundra's the other 1/2, thus keeping supplies low and demand high. There is a reason you don't hear Toyota Dealerships shouting "25% off MSRP this weekend only"!! They don't have to! If you have ever negotiated at a Toyota dealer, its a little different. They will budge a bit, but not near as much as what I was used to in negotiating my Rams, Chevys,or Fords.

The reason that Toyota does not discount vehicles 25% is because they set their MSRPs lower than the big 3. When I bought mine 15% off on a Tundra was a good deal compared to 25% on a GM. I think the big 3 just want to make you think you are getting a good deal, I remember when people use to say that Tundras cost more than the others. This is not true at all in fact it is the opposite. All of the quotes I got on GMs were about $2k higher for the same trim level.

2200 Bay Champ/200 Mercury Optimax
2017 Tundra TSS 4x4 Crewmax 5.7L
Re: Pros/cons of Toyota Tundra's [Re: Stump jumper] #13271260 09/05/19 05:30 PM
G
gander Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
G
Originally Posted by Stump jumper
These threads always get interesting. Its always the same arguments presented by different people. There are no BAD trucks anymore. All of them have +'s and -'s. I believe all of them have taken their lumps since he 90's with bad stretches of quality control. I have owned them all since 1990 and was one of those "I will never drive a foreign vehicle people". I even laughed at the first gen tundra's. One thing is for certain, the Tundra is not a "niche" truck anymore. After getting laughed out of the market (and rightfully so) with the first gen tundra's, Toyota got serious and built that gynormous plant in San Antonio to build a real 1/2 ton truck. For those arguing that the Tundra isn't American, that is true only in name. GM and Ram don't even come close to the Tundra in % American parts. Ford is the only one close. Any company who builds on American soil, with American sweat, providing for American families, paying American taxes is more American than a company taking American taxes (BAILOUT money) and then moving 1/2 your work to foreign countries (Trump just called out GM on this last week on twitter saying "You took our money and then ran off, leaving those who helped you behind!!)

From what I understand, the plant is San Antonio makes Tacoma's 1/2 the year and Tundra's the other 1/2, thus keeping supplies low and demand high. There is a reason you don't hear Toyota Dealerships shouting "25% off MSRP this weekend only"!! They don't have to! If you have ever negotiated at a Toyota dealer, its a little different. They will budge a bit, but not near as much as what I was used to in negotiating my Rams, Chevys,or Fords.

The reason that Toyota does not discount vehicles 25% is because they set their MSRPs lower than the big 3. When I bought mine 15% off on a Tundra was a good deal compared to 25% on a GM. I think the big 3 just want to make you think you are getting a good deal, I remember when people use to say that Tundras cost more than the others. This is not true at all in fact it is the opposite. All of the quotes I got on GMs were about $2k higher for the same trim level.
I ran into this when I bought mine in 2013. Was seriously looking at an ecoboost but the $$ wasn't where I wanted it on the Ford

Re: Pros/cons of Toyota Tundra's [Re: Stump jumper] #13271337 09/05/19 06:19 PM
Duck_Hunter Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru

Japanese companies, at least traditional ones, consider offering discounts devaluing the product. It’s a cultural thing.

When it comes to something like vehicles, I don’t mind the way they do pricing. The price is the price. It eliminates the wheeling and dealing and worrying if you got a bad deal, or could’ve gotten a better deal. As long as the pricing is competitive, which I believe it is for Toyota vehicles, I don’t mind the way they do pricing.

[Linked Image]
Re: Pros/cons of Toyota Tundra's [Re: Bass-N-Buck Master] #13283888 09/17/19 04:54 PM
D
dyollpster Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
D

Late to the party. I just picked up a 2020 Tundra. It has everything I need. Led headlights and fogs, remote start, push button start, android auto, adaptive cruise control, parking sensors. A lot of that was added with this model, and it's why I waited for 2020. I wish it had surround cams since it's relatively large, and my work parking garage is tight. A 6 foot bed would be nice, but that's not an option here. Otherwise, I'm happy. I test drove about 6 different F150 models from raptor to XLT. I didn't really want an ecoboost, and I heard the newer 5.0 was having issues. Also, I thought the 10 speed was shifty feeling, and I didn't care for the start/stop feature at stop lights. The F150s were more expensive too. Ultimately, I decided this was the truck for me. I think it looks good without the chrome (need to do something about the door handles and mirrors). I did not test a ram or chevy mostly due to preference. I came from a 4Runner, so I have some Toyota loyalty. Gas mileage isn't really an issue since I avg maybe 7K miles per year. I can see why that's a deal breaker for some though. In the end, buy what you like. I'm happy with my purchase so far, a few days in...

[Linked Image]

Re: Pros/cons of Toyota Tundra's [Re: Bass-N-Buck Master] #13284036 09/17/19 06:22 PM
BlueNitro Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Nice ride ^^^^^^^^^^

The remote start is the only thing I wish my 2019 had.

Last edited by BlueNitro; 09/17/19 06:23 PM.

LiftSaver Trolling Motor Mounting Bracket - Patent Pending and LiftSaver Transducer Pole Mount
www.liftsavertmmount.com
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Works with MG Xi5, Xi3 and MK Terrova, Ulterra, PD V2 and Riptides as well.

Re: Pros/cons of Toyota Tundra's [Re: dyollpster] #13284095 09/17/19 06:59 PM
I
Icepick Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I
Originally Posted by dyollpster

Late to the party. I just picked up a 2020 Tundra. It has everything I need. Led headlights and fogs, remote start, push button start, android auto, adaptive cruise control, parking sensors. A lot of that was added with this model, and it's why I waited for 2020. I wish it had surround cams since it's relatively large, and my work parking garage is tight. A 6 foot bed would be nice, but that's not an option here. Otherwise, I'm happy. I test drove about 6 different F150 models from raptor to XLT. I didn't really want an ecoboost, and I heard the newer 5.0 was having issues. Also, I thought the 10 speed was shifty feeling, and I didn't care for the start/stop feature at stop lights. The F150s were more expensive too. Ultimately, I decided this was the truck for me. I think it looks good without the chrome (need to do something about the door handles and mirrors). I did not test a ram or chevy mostly due to preference. I came from a 4Runner, so I have some Toyota loyalty. Gas mileage isn't really an issue since I avg maybe 7K miles per year. I can see why that's a deal breaker for some though. In the end, buy what you like. I'm happy with my purchase so far, a few days in...

[Linked Image]

clap flehan

This thread needs more cowbell ...
[Linked Image]

Re: Pros/cons of Toyota Tundra's [Re: dyollpster] #13284096 09/17/19 06:59 PM
GeoFisher Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler

[Linked Image]

Very Nice ride. Only 7K a year. Wow!! You are really gonna like it 5-6 years from now when you sell it and can still get 25-30K for it!!

Everything on your bass boat is broken......You just don't know it yet.
Re: Pros/cons of Toyota Tundra's [Re: dyollpster] #13284141 09/17/19 07:23 PM
B
BassFever Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
B

[Linked Image]

Nice, if you feel like it please DM me and tell me where you bought it, List price and price OTD please.

Re: Pros/cons of Toyota Tundra's [Re: Stump jumper] #13284149 09/17/19 07:30 PM
P
patriot07 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
P
Originally Posted by patriot07
[quote=gander][quote=patriot07][quote=gander][quote=Icepick]
What do you think you have to sacrifice owning a Chevy/Ford/Ram? I don't think Dodge makes pickups anymore.

For the record, my dad has a Tundra with just a few more miles than me (75k vs 61k in my Ram), and he's had several small fixes on his that were outside the 36k warranty. My Ram hasn't had any. New trucks these days are all very well-built. It's not the late 90s or mid 2000s anymore when certain brands had major quality issues. For the most part, they've realized that they can't be charging $30k+ for vehicles that have all sorts of issues. There are exceptions of course, but they're much more rare than they used to be.

I'm also not saying that you have to pick one truck because it gets 18 mpg and the Tundra gets 16 mpg. I'm saying the Tundra gets 16 mpg and other half tons are getting 25-30 mpg. It's not "a few mpg" difference like it was a decade ago.

Where do you get 25-30 from? Not even a mid-size gasser gets that. If you are talking diesel again then reduce the MPGs by 25% for the price difference in diesel plus the cost of DEF. Fuel that is.
Fair point.

Diesel fuel is about 10% extra right now. Sometimes cheaper than gas. But we'll use current prices.

I got 31 mpg on my last tank when I filled up yesterday. Reduce by 10% for fuel cost difference, so take that to 28 mpg. Let me know when a gasser hits that mark. DEF costs are essentially nothing. I fill up for $10 at Buccees twice a year.

Btw, I picked 25-30 because the Ram is rated at 28 mpg hwy. Most folks on the ecodiesel forum are getting upper 20s with 75/25 hwy/city driving.

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: Pros/cons of Toyota Tundra's [Re: dyollpster] #13284153 09/17/19 07:32 PM
P
patriot07 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
P

[Linked Image]
Nice truck!

Why do you think you need to do anything about door handles and mirrors? That chrome looks good on the white.

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: Pros/cons of Toyota Tundra's [Re: Bass-N-Buck Master] #13284156 09/17/19 07:36 PM
K
ko bass attack 27 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Yep, looks good just like it is. Nice truck.

Re: Pros/cons of Toyota Tundra's [Re: Bass-N-Buck Master] #13284186 09/17/19 08:04 PM
SheldonS Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I believe you can turn off the stop/start system.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide