Forums59
Topics1,039,912
Posts13,972,141
Members144,222
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Re: Pros/cons of Toyota Tundra's [Re: ToadSnatcher14] #13269655 09/04/19 02:41 AM
R
ReelBusy Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
R
Originally Posted by ToadSnatcher14
I think you buy what you like and get the best bang for buck and warranty.

That makes more sense to me than listening to all the gum flapping.

Re: Pros/cons of Toyota Tundra's [Re: Stump jumper] #13269734 09/04/19 06:12 AM
F
FXfromTx Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
Originally Posted by Stump jumper
Originally Posted by FXfromTx
Originally Posted by Icepick
So FXfromTX, if I'm understanding what you're saying, based on how much you drive you can save $6,000.00 a year on fuel driving a chevy truck compared to a Tundra?

No. It's nowhere near that much because I'm only getting 2mpg better fuel mileage. I basically was just saying how many miles you get for free(by saving $2,000) at $2.25 gas. It would take a tundra 2,647 gallons of fuel at 17mpg to travel 45,000miles(roughly what I travelled last year). It would take a Chevy at 19mpg 2,368 to travel the same 45,000 miles. So that's a savings of $630/year at your suggested $2.25 price of gas. It would basically take 3 years and 2 months for me to save $2,000 in fuel by driving a chevy with a v8 5.3L vs a Toyota with a v8 5.7L.... that is, if the manufacturer's 17mpg for toyota and 19mpg for chevy is correct.

My brother's F150 5.0 gets worse MPGs than my Tundra and my neighbor's gets about the same. I suspect some people stretch the MPGs a little bit just to knock the Tundra. If I drive like a grandma I can get 18.5 out of my Tundra but that is not the way I drive. I would rather stop a little more often for gas than spend time in the repair shop.

All of my mileage is documented. I have exact numbers on what my vehicles get because it's all commercial use. I know exactly how many miles each vehicle got in a year and exactly how much fuel each vehicle used because each one has it's own separate fuel card and I can look at fuel expenses by individual cards. However, I wasn't using my personal numbers because I have no personal numbers for toyota, never owned one. What I was going off of was the 2018 Manufacturer's specs for the vehicles. Here are specs for 2019 Ford, Toyota, Chevy, and an older Ford F150 because it was brought up in another comment. And actually, if I were to go back and base my numbers off of these 2019 numbers, you would save even more(2.5x as much) in a chevy because the 2019 shows a 5mpg HWY advantage over the Toyota. [Linked Image]

"The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad."
Re: Pros/cons of Toyota Tundra's [Re: Icepick] #13269755 09/04/19 09:48 AM
G
gander Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
G
Geez sounds like most of these cats should be driving a Prius since they are obsessed with gas mileage. roflmao
I never have bought a vehicle because it got a certain MPG..If I like it and it does what I need it to do then I buy it. MPG has never been a deciding factor

Last edited by gander; 09/04/19 09:49 AM.
Re: Pros/cons of Toyota Tundra's [Re: gander] #13269866 09/04/19 12:51 PM
P
patriot07 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
P
Originally Posted by gander
Geez sounds like most of these cats should be driving a Prius since they are obsessed with gas mileage. roflmao
I never have bought a vehicle because it got a certain MPG..If I like it and it does what I need it to do then I buy it. MPG has never been a deciding factor

So is price a deciding factor? If not, then that makes sense. If so, then why wouldn't you consider mpg as well?

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: Pros/cons of Toyota Tundra's [Re: FXfromTx] #13269869 09/04/19 12:53 PM
P
patriot07 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
P
So FXfromTX, if I'm understanding what you're saying, based on how much you drive you can save $6,000.00 a year on fuel driving a chevy truck compared to a Tundra?

No. It's nowhere near that much because I'm only getting 2mpg better fuel mileage. I basically was just saying how many miles you get for free(by saving $2,000) at $2.25 gas. It would take a tundra 2,647 gallons of fuel at 17mpg to travel 45,000miles(roughly what I travelled last year). It would take a Chevy at 19mpg 2,368 to travel the same 45,000 miles. So that's a savings of $630/year at your suggested $2.25 price of gas. It would basically take 3 years and 2 months for me to save $2,000 in fuel by driving a chevy with a v8 5.3L vs a Toyota with a v8 5.7L.... that is, if the manufacturer's 17mpg for toyota and 19mpg for chevy is correct.

My brother's F150 5.0 gets worse MPGs than my Tundra and my neighbor's gets about the same. I suspect some people stretch the MPGs a little bit just to knock the Tundra. If I drive like a grandma I can get 18.5 out of my Tundra but that is not the way I drive. I would rather stop a little more often for gas than spend time in the repair shop.

All of my mileage is documented. I have exact numbers on what my vehicles get because it's all commercial use. I know exactly how many miles each vehicle got in a year and exactly how much fuel each vehicle used because each one has it's own separate fuel card and I can look at fuel expenses by individual cards. However, I wasn't using my personal numbers because I have no personal numbers for toyota, never owned one. What I was going off of was the 2018 Manufacturer's specs for the vehicles. Here are specs for 2019 Ford, Toyota, Chevy, and an older Ford F150 because it was brought up in another comment. And actually, if I were to go back and base my numbers off of these 2019 numbers, you would save even more(2.5x as much) in a chevy because the 2019 shows a 5mpg HWY advantage over the Toyota. [Linked Image]

I don't believe those are accounting for differences in axle ratio, transmission, etc. You can't list one mpg rating for a truck model - there are numerous combinations with significantly varying mpg ratings and tow ratings.

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: Pros/cons of Toyota Tundra's [Re: gander] #13269876 09/04/19 12:55 PM
S
Samsonsworld Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
S

You two need to go find a tree and hug it.

Re: Pros/cons of Toyota Tundra's [Re: patriot07] #13269882 09/04/19 12:58 PM
S
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by patriot07

I don't believe those are accounting for differences in axle ratio, transmission, etc. You can't list one mpg rating for a truck model - there are numerous combinations with significantly varying mpg ratings and tow ratings.

Not to mention the Ford 2.7l, Ford 3.0l diesel and ecodiesel can easily tow a bass boat. And all get better economy.

Re: Pros/cons of Toyota Tundra's [Re: gander] #13269889 09/04/19 01:01 PM
F
FXfromTx Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F

MPG honestly isn’t a deciding factor for me either, I drive a diesel 95+% of the time. If fuel cost was my worry I wouldn’t do that. I bought the pickup I liked and would haul what I wanted it to haul. I’m making an argument to why I haven’t bought a Toyota, not an argument to why I did buy a GMC. If the Toyota got exceptional mileage I might deal with the fact that it’s ugly and outdated in my opinion. But it doesn’t get exceptional mileage. Instead it’s an ugly, outdated, fuel guzzling pickup with very little if any upfront cost benefits. But that’s just my opinion. I just don’t see a reason I would ever own one. To each their own.

"The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad."
Re: Pros/cons of Toyota Tundra's [Re: Bass-N-Buck Master] #13269923 09/04/19 01:24 PM
BlueNitro Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I bought a Tundra a few months ago and love it. It tows my boat great and I love all the room it has. The only downfall is if you have kids in the backseat, you will not be able to reach them to beat them on long road trips (my kids are grown and out of the house so no worries).

Gas mileage is not great but I seem to do alright while cruising around town/long trips or towing. And I personally love the look of my truck.

[Linked Image]

If I was too worried about MPG's, I would have got a Ford but was concerned about reliability and resale and thought that they were just run of the mill as far as being well built and looks wise. I also have friends that had issues with the Fords that had a 5.0 that had motor slap at 80K, a ECO Boost turbo that grenaded at 60K, trannys blowing up at 50K and other serious mechanical issues. Not knocking Ford because my wife drives a Explorer and it has been a great vehicle with 65K on it but wanted a truck that I could depend on while towing my boat.

I got a great deal on my Tundra and could not pass up the 0% financing. I am very pleased with my truck and since I like to keep my vehicles for a long time, I feel like I got the best truck for me and that is all that matters.

LiftSaver Trolling Motor Mounting Bracket - Patent Pending and LiftSaver Transducer Pole Mount
www.liftsavertmmount.com
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Works with MG Xi5, Xi3 and MK Terrova, Ulterra, PD V2 and Riptides as well.

Re: Pros/cons of Toyota Tundra's [Re: Bass-N-Buck Master] #13269942 09/04/19 01:38 PM
R
ringer Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
I drive a Tundra because my '04 Ford F-250 cost me almost $20000 in two years with that 6.0 diesel. I said I never wanted to be in the middle of nowhere again and waiting for a tow truck to drive 125 miles to tow my truck. I hunt a lot and the Toyotas are all better 4x4 rigs than anything else out there. I don't care what the inside or outside of a truck looks like. I want it to get me to my hunt unit then get me out again. I did price the F-150 with ecoboost in 2015 but there was no way I was going out the door for $36500 with one.

Re: Pros/cons of Toyota Tundra's [Re: Bass-N-Buck Master] #13270023 09/04/19 02:40 PM
S
Stump jumper Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
[/quote]

[/quote]
I don't believe those are accounting for differences in axle ratio, transmission, etc. You can't list one mpg rating for a truck model - there are numerous combinations with significantly varying mpg ratings and tow ratings.[/quote]
Exactly, there are lots of things that impact MPGs. I think the EPA numbers are the best you can do for comparison. My experience is that Toyota's numbers are closer to reality than Fords. Both my Tacomas and now my Tundra beat those numbers. I hear Ford is under investigation for fudging on their numbers. I did not care about MPGs when I bought the Tundra. It was about getting away from high maintenance costs for Fords.

2200 Bay Champ/200 Mercury Optimax
2017 Tundra TSS 4x4 Crewmax 5.7L
Re: Pros/cons of Toyota Tundra's [Re: Bass-N-Buck Master] #13270069 09/04/19 03:13 PM
S
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
S
Half of 90% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Re: Pros/cons of Toyota Tundra's [Re: Stump jumper] #13270085 09/04/19 03:36 PM
hopalong Offline
Pescador Loco
Pescador Loco
[/quote]

I don't believe those are accounting for differences in axle ratio, transmission, etc. You can't list one mpg rating for a truck model - there are numerous combinations with significantly varying mpg ratings and tow ratings.[/quote]
Exactly, there are lots of things that impact MPGs. I think the EPA numbers are the best you can do for comparison. My experience is that Toyota's numbers are closer to reality than Fords. Both my Tacomas and now my Tundra beat those numbers. I hear Ford is under investigation for fudging on their numbers. I did not care about MPGs when I bought the Tundra. It was about getting away from high maintenance costs for Fords. [/quote]

my 14 f150 just turned 92000 and the only problem I have had is a head temp sensor failed, 100.00 total cost with extended warranty. my dash mileage shows 15.5 - 16 and is fairly accurate according to my gas purchases. couldn't be happier with the truck so far. nov. 13 will be 5 yrs that I have had it.

2014 f150/5.0/3.55 gearing/4x4/6 speed auto/cold air intake, throttle body spacer, superchips tuner and using the mid range tune/34.5 tires.

Last edited by hopalong; 09/04/19 03:37 PM.

" Hop, set the hook"!
hopalong 99,999
TexDawg 99,999
FJB! not my president by a long shot!

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA/reservations - 903 474 7479
Re: Pros/cons of Toyota Tundra's [Re: BlueNitro] #13270115 09/04/19 04:15 PM
B
BassFever Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted by BlueNitro
I bought a Tundra a few months ago and love it. It tows my boat great and I love all the room it has. The only downfall is if you have kids in the backseat, you will not be able to reach them to beat them on long road trips (my kids are grown and out of the house so no worries).

Gas mileage is not great but I seem to do alright while cruising around town/long trips or towing. And I personally love the look of my truck.

[Linked Image]

If I was too worried about MPG's, I would have got a Ford but was concerned about reliability and resale and thought that they were just run of the mill as far as being well built and looks wise. I also have friends that had issues with the Fords that had a 5.0 that had motor slap at 80K, a ECO Boost turbo that grenaded at 60K, trannys blowing up at 50K and other serious mechanical issues. Not knocking Ford because my wife drives a Explorer and it has been a great vehicle with 65K on it but wanted a truck that I could depend on while towing my boat.

I got a great deal on my Tundra and could not pass up the 0% financing. I am very pleased with my truck and since I like to keep my vehicles for a long time, I feel like I got the best truck for me and that is all that matters.

Nice looking rig.

Re: Pros/cons of Toyota Tundra's [Re: BassFever] #13270169 09/04/19 05:22 PM
S
Stump jumper Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by BassFever
Originally Posted by BlueNitro

[Linked Image]

Nice looking rig.

yep, except white is faster [Linked Image]

2200 Bay Champ/200 Mercury Optimax
2017 Tundra TSS 4x4 Crewmax 5.7L
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide