texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
EastTexBassin42, VanNess, El_Rob, ericmos, Fishallday415
114085 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
TexDawg 98,552
Pilothawk 80,525
John175☮ 77,864
Bigbob_FTW 68,909
JDavis7873 67,400
Derek 🐝 65,508
Mark Perry 61,371
Tritonman 59,010
facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums62
Topics1,135,269
Posts15,476,874
Members139,085
Most Online36,273
Jan 23rd, 2013
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Oral Cancer #13249430 08/16/19 02:07 AM
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 3,155
B
bush hog Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
B
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 3,155
I've never been on this portion of the forum before but just wanted to share my last 3 weeks. I had to have cancer surgery a few weeks ago on my mouth. The surgeon removed a tumor plus 5 teeth, gum, bone and a section of my hard palate (roof of my mouth). I quit chewing tobacco 20 years ago and I can't say for sure if the tobacco was the cause or not.....who knows. But as we all know, tobacco can and will cause cancer. I don't mean for this to be a war story but maybe it might help someone that is thinking about giving up snuff or chewing tobacco. I have learned in the last few weeks that without the hard palate you cannot talk, chew, swallow and drool like a rabid dog. I have to wear a mouth piece now to be able to do what I've done naturally for the last 65 years. Life is all about making choices so if you choose to stay with tobacco then be willing to accept your choice in its entirety. I'll step away from my podium now. Have a great day!


To whom much is given, much is required.
Re: Oral Cancer [Re: bush hog] #13249499 08/16/19 03:37 AM
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,518
S
Siberman Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
S
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,518
angel2

Re: Oral Cancer [Re: bush hog] #13249653 08/16/19 12:48 PM
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,910
BlueNitro Offline
TFF Celebrity
Offline
TFF Celebrity
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,910
Sorry to hear that and hope you get to feeling better and heal completely.

I have been on the fence about quitting for many reasons. This will push me to make the effort to quit. Thank you for taking the time to post this.


LiftSaver Trolling Motor Mounting Bracket - Patent Pending and LiftSaver Transducer Pole Mount
www.liftsavertmmount.com
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Works with MG Xi5, Xi3 and MK Terrova, Ulterra, PD V2 and Riptides as well.

Re: Oral Cancer [Re: bush hog] #13250036 08/16/19 06:23 PM
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,883
O
Oldrabbit Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
O
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,883
Hoping that they got it all Bush Hog and you have no more problems. I have lost 1 coworker and a cousin due to mouth cancer. The both smoked, dipped and chewed most of their life. Also have another coworker that is still surviving (his dentist found the cancer) and had surgery and chemo.
Again best wishes and glad you are still here.

Re: Oral Cancer [Re: Oldrabbit] #13250474 08/17/19 01:31 AM
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 3,155
B
bush hog Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
B
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 3,155
Originally Posted by Oldrabbit
Hoping that they got it all Bush Hog and you have no more problems. I have lost 1 coworker and a cousin due to mouth cancer. The both smoked, dipped and chewed most of their life. Also have another coworker that is still surviving (his dentist found the cancer) and had surgery and chemo.
Again best wishes and glad you are still here.

The pathologist report showed that they got all the tumor and doc says I won't need radiation. Luckily it was found early before it found my lymph nodes. When you're young you think that you're bullet proof but when you get a little age on you this stuff comes back to haunt you. Lord willing, I'll still have time to snatch a few more crappie out of the water. Thank you so much for the well wishes.


To whom much is given, much is required.
Re: Oral Cancer [Re: BlueNitro] #13250480 08/17/19 01:34 AM
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 3,155
B
bush hog Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
B
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 3,155
Originally Posted by BlueNitro
Sorry to hear that and hope you get to feeling better and heal completely.

I have been on the fence about quitting for many reasons. This will push me to make the effort to quit. Thank you for taking the time to post this.

Think about all the extra money you'll have to buy fishing gear! Get off that fence and take care of yourself.....other people depend on you!


To whom much is given, much is required.
Re: Oral Cancer [Re: bush hog] #13250850 08/17/19 03:30 PM
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 4,713
V-Bottom Offline
TFF Team Angler
Offline
TFF Team Angler
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 4,713
Bush Hog....... With your permission, I'd like to email your post to my Step-daughter and SIL. A week ago they went to see Robert's ( SIL ) uncle in West Tawakoni. He was said to have 3 months left to live. COPD and Lung Cancer. Some say he smoked 2 packs a day, some said 5. I'm near 73 now. I smoked for a few years but in the Summer of 79' I quit Cold Turkey and Drinking. With the Grace of God and some Will Power I stuck with it till this day. I hope my step daughter and Robert quit....for their sake and my beautiful grandchildren's sake. I hope your thread reaches out to those that do tobacco and give them strength to decide to stop. God Bless and you take care of yourself. Ed.


Texas Anglers Recognition Program
TPWD Official Weigh Station,77563
Coastal Bend Weigh Team, Cert. Weigh Master
USMC66'- www.troutsupport.com




Re: Oral Cancer [Re: bush hog] #13251306 08/18/19 12:18 AM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 20,045
Hard Rain Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 20,045
Sorry you are going thru this bush hog. For anyone using any tobacco products ask yourself what the first thing you would do it you received a bad diagnosis. I am picking that would be to stop using tobacco. My advice to anyone is stop using tobacco now and hope you never get that type of diagnosis. It is just not worth the possible medical consequences.

Re: Oral Cancer [Re: V-Bottom] #13251364 08/18/19 01:36 AM
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 3,155
B
bush hog Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
B
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 3,155
Originally Posted by V-Bottom
Bush Hog....... With your permission, I'd like to email your post to my Step-daughter and SIL. A week ago they went to see Robert's ( SIL ) uncle in West Tawakoni. He was said to have 3 months left to live. COPD and Lung Cancer. Some say he smoked 2 packs a day, some said 5. I'm near 73 now. I smoked for a few years but in the Summer of 79' I quit Cold Turkey and Drinking. With the Grace of God and some Will Power I stuck with it till this day. I hope my step daughter and Robert quit....for their sake and my beautiful grandchildren's sake. I hope your thread reaches out to those that do tobacco and give them strength to decide to stop. God Bless and you take care of yourself. Ed.

Yes, please share and thank you.


To whom much is given, much is required.
Re: Oral Cancer [Re: bush hog] #13447305 02/22/20 01:35 AM
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 598
O
OTFF Offline
Pro Angler
Offline
Pro Angler
O
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 598
Glad they got it.


The RIGHT to an opinion does not give any validity to that OPINION.
Re: Oral Cancer [Re: bush hog] #13449470 02/24/20 02:25 PM
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,554
J
jackiekennedyfishingguide Offline
TFF Team Angler
Offline
TFF Team Angler
J
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,554
My long time friend and catfish guide on Richland Chambers, Chris Watson was just diagnosed with mouth cancer. He dipped for over 20 years. He has a tumor the length of his tongue and it is also in his jaw bone. The doctor first told him they would have to remove his tongue and replace it with a muscle out of his arm. They have now decided to try chemo first. If that doesn't give you the desire to quit dipping snuff well good luck, because you will need it. I dipped for a good many years and about six months ago the VA found a spot on my tongue. This was down at the base of my throat. They took a biopsy and it was nothing, but it took a month before I could swallow without pain.


903-603-3793
Clients or I have landed eight state record fish and eighteen water body records.
TPWD Elite Angler
[Linked Image]
jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: Oral Cancer [Re: bush hog] #13513340 04/11/20 06:16 PM
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,706
JacksonBean Offline
TFF Team Angler
Offline
TFF Team Angler
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,706
Originally Posted by bush hog
I've never been on this portion of the forum before but just wanted to share my last 3 weeks. I had to have cancer surgery a few weeks ago on my mouth. The surgeon removed a tumor plus 5 teeth, gum, bone and a section of my hard palate (roof of my mouth). I quit chewing tobacco 20 years ago and I can't say for sure if the tobacco was the cause or not.....who knows. But as we all know, tobacco can and will cause cancer. I don't mean for this to be a war story but maybe it might help someone that is thinking about giving up snuff or chewing tobacco. I have learned in the last few weeks that without the hard palate you cannot talk, chew, swallow and drool like a rabid dog. I have to wear a mouth piece now to be able to do what I've done naturally for the last 65 years. Life is all about making choices so if you choose to stay with tobacco then be willing to accept your choice in its entirety. I'll step away from my podium now. Have a great day!



What a story bush hog. I’m glad you’re alive to talk about it.

I’m offering to look at any suspicious areas any TFFers have and you’re concerned about it. I’ve seen more than my fair share of oral cancer and it’s rarely a good outcome.

JB


[Linked Image]
Re: Oral Cancer [Re: JacksonBean] #13514345 04/12/20 01:26 PM
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 10,688
lakeforkfisherman Online Happy
Elliptical Mechanic
Online Happy
Elliptical Mechanic
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 10,688
Originally Posted by JacksonBean


I’m offering to look at any suspicious areas any TFFers have and you’re concerned about it. I’ve seen more than my fair share of oral cancer and it’s rarely a good outcome.

JB



That’s a great offer. Dr. Bean, since you’ve seen it a lot, do you think you post a separate thread with the signs, what to look for, pics, etc.? There’s plenty on the internet to look at, but for some reason, when it comes from someone you know and trus, it tends to make more of a difference. Thanks.


I approve of this message.
Re: Oral Cancer [Re: lakeforkfisherman] #13524298 04/19/20 01:25 AM
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,706
JacksonBean Offline
TFF Team Angler
Offline
TFF Team Angler
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,706
Originally Posted by lakeforkfisherman
Originally Posted by JacksonBean


I’m offering to look at any suspicious areas any TFFers have and you’re concerned about it. I’ve seen more than my fair share of oral cancer and it’s rarely a good outcome.

JB



That’s a great offer. Dr. Bean, since you’ve seen it a lot, do you think you post a separate thread with the signs, what to look for, pics, etc.? There’s plenty on the internet to look at, but for some reason, when it comes from someone you know and trus, it tends to make more of a difference. Thanks.


That’s a fantastic idea.

Let me put some stuff together.


[Linked Image]
Re: Oral Cancer [Re: bush hog] #13526543 04/20/20 05:00 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 20,045
Hard Rain Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 20,045
My dentist does a scan and checks for this once per year not sure how reliable it is but I will continue to let them do it for peace of mind if nothing else.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2019 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3