Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Do video games influence [Re: slim 285] #13241315 08/09/19 01:10 AM
F
fish4bass Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
roflmao "Is Mort Gay". Sorry .... that is SFB on display. But hey.... Keep sucking that bottle.

And I know who "Jeff" is.
Re: Do video games influence [Re: fish4bass] #13241317 08/09/19 01:12 AM
Bigbob_FTW Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted by fish4bass
roflmao "Is Mort Gay". Sorry .... that is SFB on display. But hey.... Keep sucking that bottle.

Can't even come up with your own material? Pathetic.

[Linked Image][Linked Image] FJB
Re: Do video games influence [Re: fish4bass] #13241318 08/09/19 01:12 AM
S
Sawhorse Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S

Would you consider ending your daily posting time with “This is S4B signing off”? That would be awesome!

Re: Do video games influence [Re: Sawhorse] #13241319 08/09/19 01:15 AM
elcoyote, esq. Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Sawhorse

Would you consider ending your daily posting time with “This is S4B signing off”? That would be awesome!

I would be much happier if she just ended her posting routine period. Menopause must be a real bitch.

Team wolfs

Originally Posted by Allison1
I had to perform. It took a minute to get it all in my mouth and another five to swallow it all.

Re: Do video games influence [Re: Sawhorse] #13241324 08/09/19 01:18 AM
1ShotNoKills Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Sawhorse
Originally Posted by Bigbob_FTW
[quote=Bigbob_FTW][quote=fish4bass][quote=Bigbob_FTW]I rest my case.

No offence.... You posted a picture of your lard arse. I am sorry you got offended.

Why are you firing SCUDS at Bigbob? 1Shot is the one who exposed the litany of lies you’ve told. If you won’t take accountability for what you’ve done at least choose a more situation-appropriate target for your misplaced anger.

Know A Fence. cheers

That was strictly a question about my confusion on the different posts. I probably read more into it and confused myself.

Re: Do video games influence [Re: fish4bass] #13241326 08/09/19 01:19 AM
Ghost4BH Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

*S4B

Re: Do video games influence [Re: Ghost4BH] #13241331 08/09/19 01:22 AM
elcoyote, esq. Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by JayC41

*S4B

Balled up hand, three plus one, donkey.

Team wolfs

Originally Posted by Allison1
I had to perform. It took a minute to get it all in my mouth and another five to swallow it all.

Re: Do video games influence [Re: 1ShotNoKills] #13241332 08/09/19 01:22 AM
F
fish4bass Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
Originally Posted by 1ShotNoKills
I rest my case.

No offence.... You posted a picture of your lard arse. I am sorry you got offended.

Let's see your pic

Did you post something interesting? I guess I missed it.

And I know who "Jeff" is.
Re: Do video games influence [Re: slim 285] #13241347 08/09/19 01:31 AM
Bigbob_FTW Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
I rest my case.

Let's see your pic

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image][Linked Image] FJB
Re: Do video games influence [Re: fish4bass] #13241350 08/09/19 01:34 AM
1ShotNoKills Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I rest my case.

Let's see your pic

Let's see your pic

Re: Do video games influence [Re: Duck_Hunter] #13241478 08/09/19 03:14 AM
9094 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter
]Absolutely they do.

No, I don’t think that. Hence, me saying parents should parent. You blame video games, not parents who should know their kids, know what is good for their kids, take five seconds to read the rating on the front of the damn box they’re buying for their kid. Or know what their kid is doing in their room.

You’re blaming video games for kids being messed up when parents are buying them for the kids. Parents aren’t following the ratings. Parents aren’t aware of what their kids are consuming.

Parents are also handing iPads to their kids with YouTube dialed up then not paying attention to what kids click on. It’s easy to get from a kid YouTube channel to mature content, even with parental controls on. I see it with my nieces and nephews all the time.

How is that not realistic? You’re making excuses. Here is an example from my childhood. I’m the oldest of three. My sister is three years younger than me, my brother six years younger than me. When I was 13, The Simpsons was popular. I wasn’t allowed to watch it with my siblings in the room because it wasn’t appropriate (or my parents deemed it so) for my siblings to watch.

That’s called parenting. I’m not saying it easy. I’m not saying it’s not a full time job. But violent video games aren’t for young kids. Parents shouldn’t let them play them. And they shouldn’t let kids become consumed by video games of any type, either. That’s parenting.

You agree with me, but that isn’t what you’ve been saying. Parents shouldn’t let their kids play violent video games. That doesn’t mean that violent video games shouldn’t be made. Video games, in addition to other types of media and behavior, should be parented. Video games, by the way, fall under the first amendment.

Edited to add: I expect that you would have an issue with a parent giving a teenager a gun, especially if that kid went to school and shot classmates. We agree that would be bad parenting, right? So you also believe it is wrong for a parent to buy violent video games, or let them become consumed by video games and violent ones at that, right? It’s not the gun’s fault and it’s not the video game’s fault in either example.

By the way, I’ve enjoyed the discussion with you so far. cheers

The original post was “do video games influence”
My answer was absolutely. Bad parenting is the number 1 problem with all of these young killers. The video games just compound the problem. And I think 10 fold. Yes you are right parents should do all of the things you said. But saying it is not the video game playing a part is wrong. Every single one of these young shooters was a gamer, loner, and Heavy social media user.
I also believe that these game designers have gone way to far in reality and death and should be reined in. I don’t care if you are a grown up or a teen. Spending hours and hours playing a game filled with blood and gore is messed up. But if you are and adult that is not batchit crazy have at it.
We both totally agree it is bad parenting first but the fact remains that young people are playing these games and parents are not controlling them. And there are no penalties for parents allowing it. The only penalties are for the retailer that sells to underage users. If it was alcohol the parents would be charged for allowing a child to consume so why not holding them legally accountable for allowing their kids to play adult rated games?

Re: Do video games influence [Re: 9094] #13241488 08/09/19 03:31 AM
Duck_Hunter Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by 9094
Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter
]Absolutely they do.

No, I don’t think that. Hence, me saying parents should parent. You blame video games, not parents who should know their kids, know what is good for their kids, take five seconds to read the rating on the front of the damn box they’re buying for their kid. Or know what their kid is doing in their room.

You’re blaming video games for kids being messed up when parents are buying them for the kids. Parents aren’t following the ratings. Parents aren’t aware of what their kids are consuming.

Parents are also handing iPads to their kids with YouTube dialed up then not paying attention to what kids click on. It’s easy to get from a kid YouTube channel to mature content, even with parental controls on. I see it with my nieces and nephews all the time.

How is that not realistic? You’re making excuses. Here is an example from my childhood. I’m the oldest of three. My sister is three years younger than me, my brother six years younger than me. When I was 13, The Simpsons was popular. I wasn’t allowed to watch it with my siblings in the room because it wasn’t appropriate (or my parents deemed it so) for my siblings to watch.

That’s called parenting. I’m not saying it easy. I’m not saying it’s not a full time job. But violent video games aren’t for young kids. Parents shouldn’t let them play them. And they shouldn’t let kids become consumed by video games of any type, either. That’s parenting.

You agree with me, but that isn’t what you’ve been saying. Parents shouldn’t let their kids play violent video games. That doesn’t mean that violent video games shouldn’t be made. Video games, in addition to other types of media and behavior, should be parented. Video games, by the way, fall under the first amendment.

Edited to add: I expect that you would have an issue with a parent giving a teenager a gun, especially if that kid went to school and shot classmates. We agree that would be bad parenting, right? So you also believe it is wrong for a parent to buy violent video games, or let them become consumed by video games and violent ones at that, right? It’s not the gun’s fault and it’s not the video game’s fault in either example.

By the way, I’ve enjoyed the discussion with you so far. cheers

The original post was “do video games influence”
My answer was absolutely. Bad parenting is the number 1 problem with all of these young killers. The video games just compound the problem. And I think 10 fold. Yes you are right parents should do all of the things you said. But saying it is not the video game playing a part is wrong. Every single one of these young shooters was a gamer, loner, and Heavy social media user.
I also believe that these game designers have gone way to far in reality and death and should be reined in. I don’t care if you are a grown up or a teen. Spending hours and hours playing a game filled with blood and gore is messed up. But if you are and adult that is not batchit crazy have at it.
We both totally agree it is bad parenting first but the fact remains that young people are playing these games and parents are not controlling them. And there are no penalties for parents allowing it. The only penalties are for the retailer that sells to underage users. If it was alcohol the parents would be charged for allowing a child to consume so why not holding them legally accountable for allowing their kids to play adult rated games?

You can’t legislate proper parenting. You can’t restrict law-abiding people because a few abuse something (in general, obviously).

The video game developers/publishers are abiding by industry standards and are protected by the first amendment, just like with movies. You can’t stop evil; it finds a way. If video games are too realistic, why aren’t movies too realistic? It’s not a video game problem. It’s not a movie problem. It’s not a playing Black Sabbath backwards problem.

But video games are ubiquitous. The majority of kids, and a large percentage of adults ages 18-45 play video games. Video games are not the cause. They are a symptom of a larger problem for the people who commit mass murder. There is a very small percentage of people committing mass shooting compared to the 320 million citizens in this country (thankfully).

Saying video games cause (or influence) mass shootings is like saying masturbation causes rape. Most kids play video games but not everyone is a mass shooter. Most kids masturbate but don’t rape.

There is a problem with parents not regulating their kids. Yes, stores get fined heavily if they violate the ESRB rules. Should parents be penalized if their kids commit mass murder? In my opinion, no. The shooter is ultimately responsible, and the majority of mass shootings are committed with legally-obtained guns. But I think there is an issue with parents allowing their kids to consume adult material, and become obsessive or addicted to it. Sometimes it is parents being busy or preoccupied or lazy. Sometimes kids become consumed with things as a coping mechanism for other issues. Parents should recognize these issues and...parent. Get kids help. Stave it off before it becomes an issue. Some kids turn to drugs or alcohol and some turn to video games, social media and become isolated and anti-social.

It’s complicated, but blaming video games themselves is not the answer. It’s a scapegoat for a set of larger mental health and familial issues.

[Linked Image]
Re: Do video games influence [Re: 5PounderOnAFrog] #13241524 08/09/19 05:23 AM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Originally Posted by 5PounderOnAFrog
I think online forums have a lot to do with it. Obviously a forum created for fisherman to gather and discuss fishing is not the culprit, but when the forum is created for social outcasts to discuss their hatred for others it becomes an enabler for these kinds of things. Sites like 4chan and possibly Reddit are used as a medium for lonely, angry, mentally ill men to discuss how much their lives suck and it eventually snowballs into some crazy going off the deep end. I know people who spend more time on these sites than they do with actual human beings and you can tell it has an effect on how they interact with others in real life.

There is some wisdom in this post

Re: Do video games influence [Re: Cast] #13241534 08/09/19 08:07 AM
F
FXfromTx Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
Originally Posted by Cast
Yes damnit they do influence childrens’ brains. Cause them to shoot? Nobody can say for sure.

Left to his or her own devices, a kid will spend from 12 to 18 hours a day in front of a console. This places his still maturing brain in an alternate universe. A universe where mistakes are never realized. A universe where responsibilities are never assigned. A universe where lines are blurred between reality and fantasy. A universe where a brain that is still learning its way through life is overloaded with fantastical realities that simply overwhelms it.

The kid never stops thinking about the game. The game becomes quite real, occupying his physical reality, allowing him no room for any competing reality. Occupying his sleep, invading his dreams. It totally consumes his life.

IT IS A TERRIBLE PHYSICAL AND MENTAL ADDICTION!

If you have not seen this, you will not believe it. Your brain simply will not accept it because it is not real. Your brain was raised on reality and responsibility. Your brain knows the difference between a video game and the game of life.

That is why we as adults just can not endure playing the games. They simply bore us to death.

My son went through this. I was the only one that saw it and fought it. Everybody else rewarded his addiction by gifting him more equipment and software. ‘It makes him happy.’ I took it away, destroyed it, and made him watch me. That was real. I made sure he knew that. I alienated myself from my family on both sides to save my son from the addiction. My son hated and despised me for banning him from his preferred reality. He ended up leaving home to feed his addiction but reality finally won. A job, a car, a paycheck, a meal. Those things began to show up on his radar. He made it by the skin of his teeth.

He is in his mid thirties now and we are good. Many times when we are alone, he will want to talk about it. I think it still occupies a small corner of his brain. He tells me how bad the addiction was. He thanks me for destroying his equipment. He tells me of his thirty something friends that are still lost in the game. He just does not understand it now. His brain finally grew up and rejected the alternate reality. The game still calls him. He still tries to play occasionally but he has lost the connection and just does not ‘get it’ anymore.

I guess the endorphin rush is no longer triggered by the game and the physical addiction is gone. That part I do not understand. But something is different now.

We have been here before TFF. You all will flame me. I am old. I am slow and stupid. I am out of the main stream. I cling to my tinfoil hat. Go ahead. I know where reality is. I know what I saw. I know what my son went through as we went through it together and alone.

I hope you never have to go there. But if you must, go there armed for bear. Go there knowing that you are doing the right thing.

Dang Cast, I hate to hear that your family went through that, but to say that every kid who plays video games will go through this extreme level of mental and physical addiction is nothing short of ludicrous. I'm 10 years younger than your son and I can personally attest to the fact that not every kid who is left to their own devices will play video games constantly. I had a video game console growing up. I had the sports and racing games, but my cousin had also given me a couple Call of Duty, 007 and other first-person shooter games. I played maybe 30-45 minutes a day in the summer. During the school year I usually would only play a couple days a week for 30 minutes or so. I spent most of my time outside, walking to the city pond to fish, riding 4wheelers and dirt bikes, hitting golf balls in the yard, shooting bows and guns, building dumb stuff out of leftover lumber. I never got addicted to video games and never played them again after high school. My friends who played video games more than I did still didn't get addicted to video games. We were all outside doing something the majority of the time because we wanted to, not because we were forced to. Maybe the difference is that we grew up in a smaller town, I don't know. I can only say that your observations aren't the same as mine.

"The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad."
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide