Forums59
Topics1,039,391
Posts13,963,787
Members144,202
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Ok, gun carry in kayak...anyone? [Re: Superduty] #13235915 08/05/19 03:43 AM
J
Jim Ford Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
J
Mike@972:

"However, to compare a gun to a fire extinguisher is not a fair comparison. A fire extinguisher can never be used in a way to kill an innocent person or to land you in jail (unless you hit someone on the head with it grin)".
We carry a firearm to defend ourselves and our loved ones. It's not about killing someone; it's about neutralizing a threat. Yes, some people will abuse it. As virtually everything is abused by some people. Lotsa folks speed. Should we quit driving because we might be tempted to speed? Are we all guilty of succumbing to the temptation to speed? And remember, vehicles kill many more people than firearms in this country.

"The average person will have virtually no chance in their lifetime to ever to use a gun in self-defense. However, every day someone carries, they have a chance to use the gun inappropriately..."
Again, does the fact that some don't respond to a threat appropriately mean that all who do respond appropriately should surrender that right? Surely you realize that a great number of people do indeed respond appropriately to threats.

Reading your post, I perceive a strong anti-gun sentiment, rather than your stated pro-gun stance. You quote negative examples of armed citizens and LEOs responding to threats, but no positive examples, of which there are certainly many. You state that "Simply put, very little can go right and much can go wrong." That is certainly not the truth. You are entitled to your beliefs, and you are free to carry a firearm or not, as long as it's legal. But please don't provide one-sided views as facts to influence others trying to make an informed choice. Unless you're a professional politician, that's not kosher. A great many people in this country have defended themselves, their families, and even strangers from violence with firearms, and you should acknowledge that fact if you are going to make a legitimate statement about the legitimacy of carrying firearms. Tell the whole truth, not just your selected portions of it. Just because we are not confronted with criminal violence every day doesn't mean we will never face it. Carry your firearm, or don't carry it; it's your choice. But don't use half-truths and misrepresentations to influence others to your agenda.

Re: Ok, gun carry in kayak...anyone? [Re: Superduty] #13235930 08/05/19 06:21 AM
M
Mike@972 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Jim, No agenda or offence intended from my perspective. Thanks for sharing yours and thank you for 35 years in law enforcement!

Lets start talking about fishing again grin

Sorry we we hijacked your thread Superduty!

Re: Ok, gun carry in kayak...anyone? [Re: Superduty] #13241881 08/09/19 02:52 PM
M
Mike@972 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
As a peace offering to those who I unintentionally offended by attempting to point out the risks of carrying (which I continue to believe are often underappreciated)... here is a story about the good guys stopping a potential mass shooting.

An off duty firefighter held an idiot at gunpoint until the police arrived. Hats off to this guy (and to the store manager who pulled the fire alarm) and I am thankful he was carrying!

Score one for the good guys and I apologize for coming on too strong with my "risk management" view of life. The older I get the more measured I become... however, I do recognize that the world we live in is becoming more and more difficult to measure.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/armed-man-arrested-at-missouri-walmart-police-say

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide