Re: Shame in you! [Re: DarrellSimpson] #13133464 04/24/19 11:33 PM
T
TXMulti-Species Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by DarrellSimpson
Originally Posted by TXMulti-Species
At a recent Bowfishing tournament the #1 team for most fish shot and landed had a total of 715 fish. Seven hundred and fifteen fish. That's not even including the ones they shot and lost that died later.

Wasn't that tournament in another state and not in Texas , and was mainly Asian Carp harvested .

It was in Tennessee, but it's just an example to show the devastation they can inflict. Looking at an article for the results I don't see a single photo of Asian Carp, it's mostly native Buffalo which compete directly with the invasives.

https://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/bowhunting/2018-muzzy-classic-bowfishing-photos-results

Catch and release. The dream - to catch one of every species of Freshwater fish in our great state! If only I can resist Carp...
https://txmultispecies.imgur.com/
[Linked Image]
Re: Shame in you! [Re: Jason Burton Guide Service] #13133472 04/24/19 11:37 PM
T
ToasterWEyes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Below is a link to an example of TPWD using bowfishing as a control measure in TEXAS waters. Just for you slim:

https://fishgame.com/2016/10/bowfishing-grass-carp-solving-overpopulation-problem/

It's only a good cast if you catch a fish...
Personal Best: 11.62 lbs
Re: Shame in you! [Re: Jason Burton Guide Service] #13133477 04/24/19 11:39 PM
T
ToasterWEyes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Slim, if you spend a little time using a new media called the internet and a tool called google there are plenty more examples. Or, take the time to speak to a game warden or someone that actually knows what they're talking about.

Re: Shame in you! [Re: slimjim] #13133478 04/24/19 11:40 PM
T
TXMulti-Species Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by slimjim
By the way, using fish as fertilizer is not considered acceptable according to the wanton waste law.

+1 thumb

Originally Posted by ToasterWEyes
Below is a link to an example of TPWD using bowfishing as a control measure in TEXAS waters. Just for you slim:

https://fishgame.com/2016/10/bowfishing-grass-carp-solving-overpopulation-problem/

I'd like to see one for natives such as Gar, Buffalo, or even some other rough fish species like Blue Suckers which are incredibly rare nowadays.

Last edited by TXMulti-Species; 04/24/19 11:47 PM.

Catch and release. The dream - to catch one of every species of Freshwater fish in our great state! If only I can resist Carp...
https://txmultispecies.imgur.com/
[Linked Image]
Re: Shame in you! [Re: Jason Burton Guide Service] #13133488 04/24/19 11:46 PM
T
ToasterWEyes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Have you guys toured the Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center in Athens, Texas and spoken to state biologists there about fishing in general and bowfishing? Oh, you haven't?! Well you should. I have, and it was very enlightening.
Do your own research, but until you do don't force your ideas on others. I enjoy all types of fishing, it just happens to include bowfishing. All of my outdoor activities are done responsibly and in accordance to the law. And as long as bowfishing is of benefit to the fisheries, it will continue to be lawful. Get over it.

Re: Shame in you! [Re: Jason Burton Guide Service] #13133537 04/25/19 12:28 AM
S
slimjim Offline
Angler
Angler
S
We will all be anxiously awaiting the documentation you lack to validate your claims, Toaster. Until then, please stop spreading unfounded lies to justify your blood sport.

Like I said, I dont have any problem with bowfishing as long as you are utilizing your kill according to Texas law. The problem is that nobody goes and shoots 15 fish for the dinner table and quits for the night. Its all about the bragging rights and photo opportunity. Does bowfishing win because its legal? Not really. Just listen to the TPWD meeting minutes and you will see things are changing.

Re: Shame in you! [Re: Jason Burton Guide Service] #13133569 04/25/19 12:45 AM
T
ToasterWEyes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
I'm done spoon feeding you Slim. You asked for an example in Texas waters and I provided that to you. I also told you where to find more data as well as state biologists that you can speak to. Not sure what else you need. If you want to be informed and educated further, it's all there for you.
If you want to spout more uninformed, whiny [censored] about bloodsport, well just continue with your recent comments.
It's all about real data by professionals that manage our fisheries, state biologists. And that data tells them bowfishing supports fisheries or at the very least is not detrimental.

Re: Shame in you! [Re: Jason Burton Guide Service] #13133581 04/25/19 12:50 AM
S
slimjim Offline
Angler
Angler
S
You are comparing apples to oranges just like all the other bowfisherman have done in the past. We are talking about native and naturalized species, not invasive.

Before you get too far in questioning my credibility pertaining to my knowledge of this subject, please understand that I do have the background and education to be knowledgeable on this subject. There is no biologist at the TPWD that would ever insinuate that bowfishing is necessary to the management of native or naturalized species. Further more, our game wardens are there to enforce laws, not be fisheries biologists. If you want to increase your understanding, please read some books on the lifecycles of fish, calculate out the population densities, and then derive the number of fish that would need to be harvested in order to have an impact on populations. The numbers dont work.

Bowfishing is a privilege that is on the brink of being taken away due to too many people not following the rules.

Re: Shame in you! [Re: Jason Burton Guide Service] #13133590 04/25/19 12:52 AM
S
slimjim Offline
Angler
Angler
S
I really wasnt trying to upset you. I was only asking for documentation to prove the point you made. I have yet to see anything relative to this argument.

Re: Shame in you! [Re: Jason Burton Guide Service] #13133636 04/25/19 01:09 AM
T
ToasterWEyes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
I'm far from upset. I get to go on doing what I do. LAWFULLY!!!

Re: Shame in you! [Re: Jason Burton Guide Service] #13133644 04/25/19 01:11 AM
T
ToasterWEyes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
And I know who makes the laws, re read the post. But biologists are the ones who do the pop surveys, and set limits and laws to benefit our fisheries. Game Wardens are just there to make sure those recommendations are carried out in accordance with those laws.
And, did I mention, they are allowing bowfishing to be LEGAL?!

Re: Shame in you! [Re: Jason Burton Guide Service] #13133649 04/25/19 01:13 AM
T
ToasterWEyes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
We are spinning our wheels, and maybe things will change. I'm gonna bow out. But for now, bowfishing is legal and I will continue to do so until those who are actually in the know deem it necessary to shut it down.

Re: Shame in you! [Re: Jason Burton Guide Service] #13133698 04/25/19 01:48 AM
S
slimjim Offline
Angler
Angler
S
I think we got a little off topic on the original argument. I'm not arguing whether or not bowfishing is legal. I don't have a problem with bowfishing being legal. The two previous statements are facts. What isn't legal is wanton waste. That's a fact as well. So if you aren't using your fish for consumption or bait, you are violating Texas law. It doesn't matter how many fish you had in the boat. None of us know what you did with them, and neither did the game warden. You were not violating any laws at that point. It's what people are doing with them after they get off the lake that is the problem, which is very difficult for law enforcement to monitor. You have stated in previous posts that you don't eat buffalo or carp, so hopefully all your fish are going to someone that does. You also stated in February of 2018 that:
I can tell you this. I see enough carp under those lights in a 8-10 hr night of bowfishing to know that if you're worried about the extinction of the common carp, rest easy. Bowfisherman won't even make a dent.

So you if you don't believe that your sport makes a difference in the population, where does that leave us? Back to what I said before; it's a blood sport. Some of us were raised to not needlessly kill critters without justification, and some of us weren't and don't see a problem with it. It comes down to being an issue of what your morals allow. If you have a lake overpopulated with a detrimental invasive species, then by all means kill as many as you want, but I find it very immature and ignorant of people to use hearsay and data taken from totally different ecosystems to justify their urge to go out and shoot a bunch of fish for no reason other than the thrill.

We can go round and round about this, and I'm fully prepared to. In the end, however, every argument pertaining to bowfishing on this forum ends with the bowfishermen claiming that dumping fish in a hole is legal when it isn't. several of us have emailed TPW about it, as well as attended meetings and asked for clarification. The answers were all the same.

Re: Shame in you! [Re: Jason Burton Guide Service] #13133710 04/25/19 02:04 AM
T
ToasterWEyes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Fair points. So if your statements about waste of carp are correct, how do big bowfishing tournaments get away with dumping 1000s and 1000s of fish into a hole? Do you think that gets by TPWD as well? Honest question.

Re: Shame in you! [Re: Jason Burton Guide Service] #13133715 04/25/19 02:08 AM
T
ToasterWEyes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
[Linked Image]

Borrowed from Txmulti's post.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide