Re: Flw purchased? [Re: OldChamp] #13103236 03/26/19 12:06 PM
B
bigfishtx Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by OldChamp
Originally Posted by Mhobbs
I do not think you will ever trump a live weigh in with your best five fish.

I watch fishing derbies to try and learn something. For me MLF's format does that best. Their format more closely replicates what the everyday bass angler deals with going out for a day's fishing on the lake. No multi-day pre-practice and practice days, prior guide trips, inside info, lake tournament history, etc.

I watch to see how they try to solve that day's fishing puzzle.

Have watched and attended a lot of weigh-ins over many years both as fisherman and TV viewer. For me the big derby weigh-ins are pretty boring. Pro pulls his 2 biggest fish out of the bag and waves them around and plugs his sponsors - big whoopie. What do I learn from that? See one slimy green ditch pickle see them all.

cheers Exactly.

Seeing how these guys adjust on the fly, how they deal with the pressure, what they're really fishing and how they're fishing it, is priceless if you're wanting to better your game. If you're more interested in pulling for your favorite pro to win, the other formats are it. Don't get me wrong, I like seeing the 5 fish format, like to see certain guys do well. But for me, I'd rather see some guy skipping docks and catching nothing feel the pressure of the scoretracker and know someone else is catching them, make a change, and see how he does.

Keep the Lord in your heart and keep your powder dry.
5:5
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Flw purchased? [Re: J.H.S.] #13103238 03/26/19 12:07 PM
H
Hunter's Dad Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
H
Originally Posted by Josh Seale
You dont have to buy to be sold on something. Fans want excitement. BPT isnt exciting. There is no family atmosphere. Like it or not fishing only exists to a small % of us. You have to cater to the masses to generate interest. BPT might grab the hardcore guys, but the average Joe isnt going to pass up their favorite TV show watch someone catch a fish, especially if they are railing small ones. It doesnt matter if there are 8 hours or 1800 hours. The commentary is bland and very uninteresting, and at times can be too technical for someone who doesnt understand the sport. Remember, they arent trying to get those of us who already fish interested in the sport. Seems to me like a good ole boys trail they put together to get away from big bad BASS. Once again. JMO.

My experience is the exact opposite. My wife has never had any interest in any fishing show but MLF. My son is an 18 year old high school fishermens that is one of the top at that level. He doesnt watch BASS or FLW but does follow MLF and now BPT.

Re: Flw purchased? [Re: Hunter's Dad] #13103265 03/26/19 12:38 PM
U
Used2fish Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
U
Originally Posted by Hunter's Dad
My son is an 18 year old high school.

eeks

That doesn't seem right sir. I remember when he caught that fish and you posting pictures of him being grandpa's little limit extender shooting teal ducks. Man I'm getting old.

Re: Flw purchased? [Re: Hunter's Dad] #13103293 03/26/19 12:50 PM
SAKS Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
You dont have to buy to be sold on something. Fans want excitement. BPT isnt exciting. There is no family atmosphere. Like it or not fishing only exists to a small % of us. You have to cater to the masses to generate interest. BPT might grab the hardcore guys, but the average Joe isnt going to pass up their favorite TV show watch someone catch a fish, especially if they are railing small ones. It doesnt matter if there are 8 hours or 1800 hours. The commentary is bland and very uninteresting, and at times can be too technical for someone who doesnt understand the sport. Remember, they arent trying to get those of us who already fish interested in the sport. Seems to me like a good ole boys trail they put together to get away from big bad BASS. Once again. JMO.

My experience is the exact opposite. My wife has never had any interest in any fishing show but MLF. My son is an 18 year old high school fishermens that is one of the top at that level. He doesnt watch BASS or FLW but does follow MLF and now BPT.

Funny you say that. My wife knows nothing and cares nothing about fishing but she likes watching MLF with me.

Re: Flw purchased? [Re: Chris_K] #13103306 03/26/19 12:59 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by Chris_K
If tournaments ever change to just who can catch the most dinks Ill probably quit tournament fishing. I just dont see it happening. Sponsorships platforms rely on the fan interaction and from what Ive seen from the BPT weigh in, they have none. TV will only take you so far. Youre talking about a niche sport with a lot of competition on the tube. BASS and FLW formats have it right. Get your fans to the weigh in, get product in their hands. BPT is a great supplement to pro fishing, but its not the future. Soon we will have superstars in BASS and we the guys like Skeet Reese and GMan will fade away. It happened to Roland Martin, Jimmy Houston and Bill Dance. As far as my support goes, BASS has it.

I would imagine sponsors want exposure. Id bet the 1800 hours( dont remember the exact number so I made that up) of tv exposure that bpt will provide this year will have millions of more viewers than theyd normally have at weigh ins.

Where is this tv exposure ? Online, via choppy, crappie coverage doesnt count. Does it?

All I see on tv is old MLF stuff. And its ok, because the common man doesnt know the winner yet. I get it, I really do, I just dont get it 100%. I dont care for re-runs. If the BPT airs, it will be a waste of time to watch. Wed already know the outcome. Its like watching a movie where youve been told everything that was exciting beforehand.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Flw purchased? [Re: SAKS] #13103314 03/26/19 01:08 PM
B
bigfishtx Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by SAKS

Funny you say that. My wife knows nothing and cares nothing about fishing but she likes watching MLF with me.

Same here. My Dad called me the other day all excited to tell me about this "new" fishing show he found flipping through the channels. I just let him tell me all about it, said it was really exciting seeing those guys at the cut line as time got short, how they reacted and the changes they made. He's a fly fisherman, but said he couldn't turn the channel until it was over, the suspense had him hooked.

People may be missing the point of all this, it's about selling product, not catering to the handful of hardcore tournament guys (which I'm one of). The more TV hours and viewership, the more sponsors will pay for ads in hopes of increasing sales. It's basic marketing, the BPT is getting exposure that BASS or FLW would never get with new viewers.

Keep the Lord in your heart and keep your powder dry.
5:5
Re: Flw purchased? [Re: Mark Jones] #13103315 03/26/19 01:08 PM
T
Tx Tree Grower Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by Mark Jones
If tournaments ever change to just who can catch the most dinks Ill probably quit tournament fishing. I just dont see it happening. Sponsorships platforms rely on the fan interaction and from what Ive seen from the BPT weigh in, they have none. TV will only take you so far. Youre talking about a niche sport with a lot of competition on the tube. BASS and FLW formats have it right. Get your fans to the weigh in, get product in their hands. BPT is a great supplement to pro fishing, but its not the future. Soon we will have superstars in BASS and we the guys like Skeet Reese and GMan will fade away. It happened to Roland Martin, Jimmy Houston and Bill Dance. As far as my support goes, BASS has it.

Fans don't buy anything at a weigh in, nor do they spend any significant time at the sponsor activations at weigh ins and all of us who sponsor know and understand that. Onsite activation is just one small part of why brands sponsor. You've lost your mind if you think a weigh in is the driver of anything for significant sponsorship consideration. If anything it's like attending a graduation and begging that it ends soon...

Now the only exception to the above is the Classic. Different animal. And next year's Classic will be the real test as it will be devoid of many of the sports biggest stars. We shall see how it plays out in 2020.

Very true. I agree the MLF format is the way of the future. However if the classic starts a slow demise, like I suspect it will, there will be a hole to fill. Not sure MLF can fill that void with their format. I went to their final day post game show at Conroe and it was basically a waste of time. You would think at some point MLF will want to lay claim to an event they can say is the "Super Bowl of Bass Fishing". You would think MLF could adapt their format just a touch to accommodate a one time a year mega event. The classic has always been an amazing event. Been to many and there is nothing like it. Just not sure you can make that event great without the drama of the mega stage of the weigh in. Especially the final day.

Re: Flw purchased? [Re: Hunter's Dad] #13103415 03/26/19 02:18 PM
S
SC-001 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
S

You do realize tournament fishing at its start was not a five bass limit? For years the limit was way more. The 5 fish were a result of state regulations and an increase in catch and release tournaments.

Good point, go back and watch the first bassmaster classic on youtube, it was as many as you could catch, and they et 'em...

Last edited by Legend LE-195; 03/26/19 02:19 PM.
Re: Flw purchased? [Re: KenTx1962] #13103430 03/26/19 02:29 PM
D
DillonCan'tFish Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
D
I see 360 cameras and VR goggles coming into play sometime in the future. It will give viewers the feeling of sitting in the boat with the angler, watching and listening to them as if they were a referee, marshal or co-angler. I even see it going as far as being filmed, using that same technology, from the point of view of a fishing partner on the front deck, while the angler teaches "you" a new technique or shows "you" new baits. Like you are standing right next to them on the boat. It will be a huge step up from the GoPro clipped to the hat bill view you see today.

There will have to be innovative technologies and strategies used to reach tomorrow's anglers. Younger people, like myself, are so technology driven it is insane. I'm not talking about having your phone in your face all the time, I'm talking about seeing things in a new way and understanding what technology is capable of. That's why I think most of these younger pro's are so good with their electronics. For example, I grew up watching NASCAR with my dad. I think it's neat and it has its place, but I can't sit through an entire race. Formula1... I am glued to my seat, even after the race, and I think, for me, it is about learning what these cars are capable of by implementing some pretty crazy technology.

I am torn. I watched my childhood heroes pull into weigh-in and plug all their sponsors and show off their fish, and that's what I dreamed of doing when I grew up. On the other hand, that's not how kids 10-20 years old see things now and I get that. If there is any hope in reaching them and getting them hooked on fishing, it's going to take something different than a magazine subscription and the same old weigh-in style. 2cents

Re: Flw purchased? [Re: DillonCan'tFish] #13103457 03/26/19 02:45 PM
Mark Jones Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by DillonCan'tFish
I see 360 cameras and VR goggles coming into play sometime in the future. It will give viewers the feeling of sitting in the boat with the angler, watching and listening to them as if they were a referee, marshal or co-angler. I even see it going as far as being filmed, using that same technology, from the point of view of a fishing partner on the front deck, while the angler teaches "you" a new technique or shows "you" new baits. Like you are standing right next to them on the boat. It will be a huge step up from the GoPro clipped to the hat bill view you see today.

There will have to be innovative technologies and strategies used to reach tomorrow's anglers. Younger people, like myself, are so technology driven it is insane. I'm not talking about having your phone in your face all the time, I'm talking about seeing things in a new way and understanding what technology is capable of. That's why I think most of these younger pro's are so good with their electronics. For example, I grew up watching NASCAR with my dad. I think it's neat and it has its place, but I can't sit through an entire race. Formula1... I am glued to my seat, even after the race, and I think, for me, it is about learning what these cars are capable of by implementing some pretty crazy technology.

I am torn. I watched my childhood heroes pull into weigh-in and plug all their sponsors and show off their fish, and that's what I dreamed of doing when I grew up. On the other hand, that's not how kids 10-20 years old see things now and I get that. If there is any hope in reaching them and getting them hooked on fishing, it's going to take something different than a magazine subscription and the same old weigh-in style. 2cents

Great post. Your last paragraph is the whole punchline. The old timers here cant and wont embrace change and when they see it happening they are torn too and hold on as tight as they can to the past.

Re: Flw purchased? [Re: SteezMacQueen] #13103473 03/26/19 02:55 PM
C
Chris_K Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Originally Posted by Chris_K

I would imagine sponsors want exposure. Id bet the 1800 hours( dont remember the exact number so I made that up) of tv exposure that bpt will provide this year will have millions of more viewers than theyd normally have at weigh ins.

Where is this tv exposure ? Online, via choppy, crappie coverage doesnt count. Does it?

All I see on tv is old MLF stuff. And its ok, because the common man doesnt know the winner yet. I get it, I really do, I just dont get it 100%. I dont care for re-runs. If the BPT airs, it will be a waste of time to watch. Wed already know the outcome. Its like watching a movie where youve been told everything that was exciting beforehand.

I dont know man. They show up on my DVR and I watch them. Im not sure when the current run of BPT stuff will show up, but I bet it will eventually.

Re: Flw purchased? [Re: Hunter's Dad] #13103563 03/26/19 03:54 PM
J
J.H.S. Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J

But didnt you just prove my point? Your kid is going to fish no matter what. To grow the sport you want to attract new people to the industry. How is BPT doing that? Also Id be curious how many people are following BPT because of the anglers and not the format. Ducket has already been quoted saying this isnt a fan based format. How do you expect to grow the sport with that attitude? Ive fished for years, so I tend to know what brands I like and dont like. How will someone just getting started get their information? You think they are going to sit down and watch it on tv and be like oh okay sure why not or do you think a pro at a weigh in booth talking to them face to face would be more beneficial? BPT isnt fan friendly (at least not at this point). This seems very much like a bandwagon phase.

Last edited by Josh Seale; 03/26/19 03:54 PM.

Live Daringly, Boldy, and Fearlessly....Embrace the Challenge So That You May Feel the Exhiliration of Victory.

Re: Flw purchased? [Re: KenTx1962] #13103599 03/26/19 04:08 PM
J
J.H.S. Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Id also be curious to know how many are on the bandwagon simply because the big names made the move and not because they actually have a rea argument as to why BPT is better than BASS. I havent seen any real arguments other than what you have been told to believe.

Live Daringly, Boldy, and Fearlessly....Embrace the Challenge So That You May Feel the Exhiliration of Victory.

Re: Flw purchased? [Re: J.H.S.] #13103628 03/26/19 04:22 PM
H
Hunter's Dad Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
H

My experience is the exact opposite. My wife has never had any interest in any fishing show but MLF. My son is an 18 year old high school fishermen’s that is one of the top at that level. He doesn’t watch BASS or FLW but does follow MLF and now BPT.

You don’t have to buy to be sold on something. Fans want excitement. BPT isn’t exciting. There is no family atmosphere. Like it or not fishing only exists to a small % of us. You have to cater to the masses to generate interest. BPT might grab the hardcore guys, but the average Joe isn’t going to pass up their favorite TV show watch someone catch a fish, especially if they are railing small ones. It doesn’t matter if there are 8 hours or 1800 hours. The commentary is bland and very uninteresting, and at times can be too technical for someone who doesn’t understand the sport. Remember, they aren’t trying to get those of us who already fish interested in the sport. Seems to me like a good ole boys trail they put together to get away from “big bad BASS”. Once again. JMO.

My experience is the exact opposite. My wife has never had any interest in any fishing show but MLF. My son is an 18 year old high school fishermen’s that is one of the top at that level. He doesn’t watch BASS or FLW but does follow MLF and now BPT.

But didn’t you just prove my point? Your kid is going to fish no matter what. To grow the sport you want to attract new people to the industry. How is BPT doing that? Also I’d be curious how many people are following BPT because of the anglers and not the format. Ducket has already been quoted saying this isn’t a fan based format. How do you expect to grow the sport with that attitude? I’ve fished for years, so I tend to know what brands I like and don’t like. How will someone just getting started get their information? You think they are going to sit down and watch it on tv and be like “oh okay sure why not” or do you think a pro at a weigh in booth talking to them face to face would be more beneficial? BPT isn’t fan friendly (at least not at this point). This seems very much like a bandwagon phase.

Have you really watched MLF or BPT? My son is the exact demographic that BPT sponsorship dollars are looking for. He is very active in social media and has a short attention span. MLF style keeps him engaged. The coverage is designed to show more fish catches and be faster paced, You have already heard several folks express that their significant others will watch MLF but not other fishing shows. The only time we go to a weigh in is if its within 50 miles other than the classic. So far we have watched at least some of every BPT event. As far as the technical aspect I find the BASS commentary much more technical which I think is one advantage their live coverage has. I have enjoyed all three platforms this year but if you don't think BPT is the format that appeals the most to youth and non-fishing viewers then we will just have to disagree.

Re: Flw purchased? [Re: Hunter's Dad] #13103636 03/26/19 04:27 PM
S
SC-001 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
S

Have you really watched MLF or BPT?

From his response I don't think he has, I've seen it myself people who don't even fish, it caught there interest and they ended up watching a good bit of it.

Last edited by Legend LE-195; 03/26/19 04:27 PM.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide