Forums59
Topics1,039,298
Posts13,962,461
Members144,197
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: loading your boat-are you pro or amatuer? [Re: beartrap] #13068970 02/20/19 06:22 PM
Hard Rain Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
If anyone wants to see amateur go to any DFW lake on a weekend afternoon. Cautionary note: leave you boat at home and just bring a lawn chair and cooler. The worst one I know of is at Cedar Hill State Park where folks like to wash their boats at the waters edge before they take out even though there is a line of boats waiting to launch. I am sure others are just as bad but that one is really bad. I don't get antsy if someone takes a few extra minutes but I try to get to the ramp early, get the boat prepped away from the ramp then launch as quickly as possible in a safe manner. If that is not fast enough for anyone else my advice is to get there earlier. As far as the take out no way I would pull up without the winch strap attached just does not seem to be worth the risk for time savings of probably less than 30 seconds. And yes I power load my boat on the trailer just like everyone else I see doing the exact same thing.

Re: loading your boat-are you pro or amatuer? [Re: steveiam] #13069047 02/20/19 07:39 PM
B
beartrap Online Content OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by steveiam
If I'm wrong sorry beartrap, but were you not the one that posted about parking in the "to go" parking spot a while back?
Just wondering, it is what it is though, different strokes and all that.

yes that was me and I got pretty much the same reaction as the launching/loading boat posts.........about half the respondents not able to see the big picture....in the restaurant situation,if you were the owner,would you rather save a parking spot that there is a 95% probability you will not need and make a customer happy or alienate the customer to the point you lost the revenue from his business for that night and for the future including the business from his family,friends and business associates.....

same deal with launching/loading boats....after reading all the responses and hearing from people that do launch/load like the pros,instead of making some bold "I ain't never gonna do that" statement,seems to me it would be a wiser choice to keep an open mind and watch to see how many other people are doing it and how it is working....pretty good chance that a lot of people are doing this already and you just haven't noticed it....
with high school/college tournament popularity booming,we are all going to be dealing with crowded ramps...

Re: loading your boat-are you pro or amatuer? [Re: beartrap] #13069107 02/20/19 08:23 PM
S
steveiam Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by beartrap
If I'm wrong sorry beartrap, but were you not the one that posted about parking in the "to go" parking spot a while back?

yes that was me and I got pretty much the same reaction as the launching/loading boat posts........….about half the respondents not able to see the big picture....in the restaurant situation,if you were the owner,would you rather save a parking spot that there is a 95% probability you will not need and make a customer happy or alienate the customer to the point you lost the revenue from his business for that night and for the future including the business from his family,friends and business associates.....

same deal with launching/loading boats....after reading all the responses and hearing from people that do launch/load like the pros,instead of making some bold "I ain't never gonna do that" statement,seems to me it would be a wiser choice to keep an open mind and watch to see how many other people are doing it and how it is working....pretty good chance that a lot of people are doing this already and you just haven't noticed it....
with high school/college tournament popularity booming,we are all going to be dealing with crowded ramps...

Thanks beartrap, This thread was educating for me at the very least, I have never fished a bass tourney, and I have fished several catfish tournaments, but they volume of numbers of boat are no where near these bass tourneys-
If I had planned or wanted to join in, at least I wouldn't be surprised now as obviously there are many that do this.
But I don't believe I will ever be in the way, If I ever pull up to a ramp with that many boats, I'll go fish in peace somewhere else.

What has happed to you does not define who you are-

HOW you react to what happens to you DOES!
Re: loading your boat-are you pro or amatuer? [Re: Davedave] #13069108 02/20/19 08:23 PM
B
Bob Davis Offline
Bunkeroid Bob
Bunkeroid Bob
B
Originally Posted by Davedave
Originally Posted by Bob Davis
Early in my boating days, 30 years ago my wife and I witnessed a somewhat funny boat ramp fiasco. We were circling like vultures in the lake at the Chaha boat ramp on ray hubbard waiting to get a spot cleared at the dock. 4 young fellas, looked to be 18 or 19 years old had the family 4 winns ski boat out and were loading it on the trailer. It was a big boat. One kid is driving the truck, backs the trailer down and another drove the boat on the trailer. The boat driver told the pickup truck driver, "Go Ahead, pull it". The pickup driver gets up the ramp maybe 3 ft. or so, then accelerates hard. Needless to say he jerked that trailer and the boat slid back and off the trailer onto the ramp. The kid was upset that his Dad was going to kill him. It took me and 7 other people to actually push that boat back down the concrete ramp so they could load it. That "learnt" me that it was possible for a boat to slide off the trailer. Just sayin'. I think you are rolling the dice to not take the time to hook the winch strap prior to pulling out.

Youre wrong. A boat and trailer know when a Pro is loading a boat. The boat and trailer behave differently, and physics, friction and gravity are all momentarily suspended while jersey man is levitated up onto the ramp at whatever speed/acceleration rate looks the coolest. Dont you know anything?

No, I suppose not. I ain't be learnt wells.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Re: loading your boat-are you pro or amatuer? [Re: beartrap] #13069116 02/20/19 08:28 PM
hopalong Offline
Pescador Loco
Pescador Loco

yes that was me and I got pretty much the same reaction as the launching/loading boat posts.........about half the respondents not able to see the big picture....in the restaurant situation,if you were the owner,would you rather save a parking spot that there is a 95% probability you will not need and make a customer happy or alienate the customer to the point you lost the revenue from his business for that night and for the future including the business from his family,friends and business associates.....

I fish solo at fork 99% of the time, kinda hard to load like a pro when I don't have a valet to do my driving. as for loading, same as unloading, I don't screw around and make people wait any longer than necessary, in and out asap. never had a complaint about it yet.

let me ask ya this, if someone has hc plates (not the blue mirror tag, those can be "borrowed") do you expect them to "hurry up"? should they wait till everyone else has launched so they don't tie others up since they may be a little slower?

Re: loading your boat-are you pro or amatuer? [Re: hopalong] #13069124 02/20/19 08:35 PM
B
Bob Davis Offline
Bunkeroid Bob
Bunkeroid Bob
B
Originally Posted by hopalong

let me ask ya this, if someone has hc plates (not the blue mirror tag, those can be "borrowed") do you expect them to "hurry up"? should they wait till everyone else has launched so they don't tie others up since they may be a little slower?

That does not matter, get out of the way. There is a tourney going on and money is riding on it, time is money, money is time.....hurry up, run.. You must yield to the tourney pros.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Re: loading your boat-are you pro or amatuer? [Re: hopalong] #13069128 02/20/19 08:41 PM
B
beartrap Online Content OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B

yes that was me and I got pretty much the same reaction as the launching/loading boat posts........….about half the respondents not able to see the big picture....in the restaurant situation,if you were the owner,would you rather save a parking spot that there is a 95% probability you will not need and make a customer happy or alienate the customer to the point you lost the revenue from his business for that night and for the future including the business from his family,friends and business associates.....

I fish solo at fork 99% of the time, kinda hard to load like a pro when I don't have a valet to do my driving. as for loading, same as unloading, I don't screw around and make people wait any longer than necessary, in and out asap. never had a complaint about it yet.

mentally handicapped is the target audience we are trying to reach both for launching and loading....

Re: loading your boat-are you pro or amatuer? [Re: beartrap] #13069129 02/20/19 08:42 PM
Huckleberry Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

mentally handicapped is the target audience we are trying to reach both for launching and loading....

roflmao

Re: loading your boat-are you pro or amatuer? [Re: beartrap] #13069136 02/20/19 08:48 PM
Huckleberry Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
This brings up a good question. Say we were to have two sections on the boat ramp, say 2 ramp lanes for amateur loaders only and 2 ramp lanes for Pro loaders only, would the amateurs be upset as they sat 35th in line if they couldn't use the Pro loaders lanes? hmmm

Re: loading your boat-are you pro or amatuer? [Re: Bob Davis] #13069138 02/20/19 08:50 PM
Bandit 200 XP Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I stay away from lakes that have tournaments. I hate them. If i absolutely have to fish a tourney lake, I'll load and unload at off times. Too many high blood pressure type A pesonalities in one place at the same time is a recipe for disaster

thumb

Triton 200 XP
200 Yamaha 0X66
Re: loading your boat-are you pro or amatuer? [Re: beartrap] #13069194 02/20/19 09:52 PM
G
Gourdbuster Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
G
I don't know if I'd trust wet bunk boards on a steep ramp to keep boat on the trailer without the winch strap connected to the keel eye. Seems like a good way to introduce fiberglass to concrete.

What the pros do with their boats is their business. I'd rather not take any chances with my boat. I'll hurry up but I'm not risking my investment just because the ramp is crowded. Also try to avoid crowded ramps at all costs. Too many folks without a clue.

“You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else.
We're all part of the same compost heap.
We're the all singing, all dancing [censored] of the world.”

-Chuck Palahniuk

Re: loading your boat-are you pro or amatuer? [Re: beartrap] #13069195 02/20/19 09:53 PM
S
soggybottom Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
I can load the queen mary by myself, PRO

pledge= fishstick
Re: loading your boat-are you pro or amatuer? [Re: Bob Davis] #13069198 02/20/19 09:57 PM
Ghost4BH Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

That does not matter, get out of the way. There is a tourney going on and money is riding on it, time is money, money is time.....hurry up, run.. You must yield to the tourney pros.

Youre right Bob, dont ever get in the way of the fishing jersey wearing, flat bill hat crowd!!! The boat can just float freely, but do you think that super badace jacked up diesel, with stretched tires and lights in the fender well is going to park itself?!?!

Re: loading your boat-are you pro or amatuer? [Re: Ghost4BH] #13069215 02/20/19 10:24 PM
B
Bob Davis Offline
Bunkeroid Bob
Bunkeroid Bob
B
Originally Posted by JayC41

Youre right Bob, dont ever get in the way of the fishing jersey wearing, flat bill hat crowd!!! The boat can just float freely, but do you think that super badace jacked up diesel, with stretched tires and lights in the fender well is going to park itself?!?!

Yes, and don't forget the shirt patches and decals. Lots of them. Move out of the way you lowly miscreant nose picker, if you see these.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Re: loading your boat-are you pro or amatuer? [Re: Huckleberry] #13069232 02/20/19 10:44 PM
F
Fishn_man Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted by Huckleberry
you know your at the pro level when you keep the motor in gear and throw a rooster tail as the boat is being pulled out of the water.

But I like to rooster tail when my buddy is loading next to me!!!

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide