Re: Palestine duck hunter ?? [Re: csbrad58] #13045431 01/29/19 04:01 PM
T
Tx Tree Grower Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by csbrad58
I am not a member of this thread and I'm using a friend's access to post this. First let me say that I do fish and I also hunt. I am the hunter that was in Old Folks on Palestine trying to hunt Saturday morning. In spite of the poor duck season this year, I was set up with decoys out about 5:30 that morning. About 7:00 I started hearing bass boats that seemed to be coming from the Villages. I didn't know there was a tournament that morning or I would likely have hunted Pines or Fork. Several boats came into the cove I was hunting, but they trolled along and were about 50 to 60 yards from me. Not ideal for my duck hunting, but I can deal with that. However, 2 boats came in and set up within 30 yards of me. I'll add that decoys were out, I did not have my blind on my boat up, and it was quite obvious we were duck hunting. One boat dropped his trolling motor on the very edge of my decoys right in front of me. I had actually set the decoys closer to my boat than usual and told my son I should have set them further out. The boat dropped its trolling motor and then moved about 10 feet beyond my decoys. The problem was I had 2 boats, one about 30 yards from me and the other within 25 yards of me and both stayed stationary and didn't move along. I waited and when they didn't move on we made sure they knew we were there and they still stayed. I called the local game warden, who I am familiar with, and told him what was going on. Just so happens he was already on the lake and said he would be there in about 10 minutes. When I got off the phone I proceeded to inform the guys fishing in the immediate area that I was there first and what they were doing was considered hunter harassment. I asked them to leave the area and warned them a warden would be there in about 10 minutes or so and it would be in their best interests to leave the area. They didn't. I'm sure they thought it was a bluff. Warden there in 10 minutes? He going to drop out of a helicopter or something? Well, about 10 minutes later here came 2 wardens in a boat with a small mud motor. He went to each boat and informed them they needed to clear the area and why. Everyone complied, although a couple of them grudgingly. One kept asking the warden what the law was on the matter and the warden had to keep repeating himself. No one was ticketed. And I'll add that I saw none of them catch any fish in the area. I stayed about another hour, picked up the decoys and left. As I was leaving boats started moving back in. The warden did what he was supposed to do. As a fisherman and duck hunter I don't get upset about a bass boat trolling by me while hunting as long as they keep moving along. I'm glad to see them on the lake as it helps keep ducks moving.....provided there are any ducks. But it is extremely discourteous what these guys did Saturday morning in old folks, especially 2 of these teams. It was a blatant disregard for someone else's privilege to be on the lake as a duck hunter. Duck season is November through January and I've been hunting on some very cold mornings and see bass fishermen on the lake. I give those guys kudos. I've had a few fishing that didn't see me, but most are courteous. I called the game warden and I would do it again without hesitation. If you are going to be on the lake, know the laws that might pertain to you.....whether you are fishing, hunting, etc. I'm almost 64 and have mellowed with age so I decided to let the warden handle the situation. As someone posted, fishing rods are not very effective against shotguns. Not only that, my duck boat is like a tank and my mud motor doing donuts in the cove would not have helped fishing in the area. To those of you on here who understand the law and are supportive of doing the right thing, I thank you. And to those who think otherwise and believe the lake belongs to them alone...well, not much to say, except be glad I called the warden. If there had been ducks flying in the area and we started shooting it could have been interesting. Now that duck season is over maybe I'll see you on the lakes fishing. Good luck and be safe.

I appreciate this response. As a guy that does not duck hunt, it gives me some insight into what hunters expect when you stumble upon them by pure accident. When I first heard about this it sounded like the game warden asked the fishermen to completely vacate old folks. In my opinion that would not be reasonable or fair for one group of hunters to tie up an area of that size. However, It doesn't sound like that is what happened at all. Sounds like all you expected was some common courtesy. The guys fishing around your decoys were completely unreasonable.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Palestine duck hunter ?? [Re: wild bill] #13045471 01/29/19 04:36 PM
M
McLovin’ Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
One of the points he made is very true for me at least, I like fishermen moving around up on the north end as it does tend to keep some ducks moving around, but I don't get the guys that dropped trolling motor right on top of him and his sons set??? That's the kind of stuff that make all tournament guys look like jerks.

Running out of north end Palestine once I ran right by a hunters set and stopped to apologize (set looked real, LOL)
I told them about a pocket we just came out of little ways from them where ducks were coming in and landing by our bass boat...later saw them at the ramp and they moved to the spot we told them about they and got 2 limits.

It's about respecting each other on the water, whether it's duck hunting or bass fishing, let's remember that we all love the outdoors and we still have way more in common than things that divide us.

Re: Palestine duck hunter ?? [Re: wild bill] #13045549 01/29/19 06:00 PM
BrockstaRama Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
If you drop your trolling motor on the edge of someone's spread then except anything that comes your way via ticket for you may be a prick.

When I am not fishing I am thinking about fishing. And mostly what I should have done differently my last trip!
#Brockstarama
Re: Palestine duck hunter ?? [Re: csbrad58] #13045738 01/29/19 07:58 PM
J
JCBfromTHF Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
I asked them to leave the area and warned them a warden would be there in about 10 minutes or so and it would be in their best interests to leave the area. They didn't. I'm sure they thought it was a bluff. Warden there in 10 minutes? He going to drop out of a helicopter or something? Well, about 10 minutes later here came 2 wardens in a boat with a small mud motor. .

roflmao

Now if only these "fishermen" would identify themselves.

Sorry you had to deal with that. I use to hunt public water as well but thankfully never ran into those issues.

Re: Palestine duck hunter ?? [Re: wild bill] #13045744 01/29/19 08:04 PM
S
skeeterK Offline
Angler
Angler
S
Story just in time for this topic:

shooting

Re: Palestine duck hunter ?? [Re: JCBfromTHF] #13045800 01/29/19 08:56 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted by JCBfromTHF
I asked them to leave the area and warned them a warden would be there in about 10 minutes or so and it would be in their best interests to leave the area. They didn't. I'm sure they thought it was a bluff. Warden there in 10 minutes? He going to drop out of a helicopter or something? Well, about 10 minutes later here came 2 wardens in a boat with a small mud motor. .

roflmao

Now if only these "fishermen" would identify themselves.

Sorry you had to deal with that. I use to hunt public water as well but thankfully never ran into those issues.

the "hunter" really did not identify himself

just a screen name of someone else

But, I agree the anglers need to chime in as well.

As for the whole duck hunter vs bass fishermen "beef" deal, let the hunters have their space during hunting season, it's over before the fish really even get pre spawn

#MFGA
Re: Palestine duck hunter ?? [Re: skeeterK] #13045825 01/29/19 09:22 PM
Walls Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by skeeterK
Story just in time for this topic:

shooting

Would need a new pair of britches.......

That's what I don't understand about the guys' mindset dropping troller right on his set. I only see two things possible rattling around in their noggin.

1. They thought their presence would stop any ducks from coming in (D-B move)
2. They don't mind being shot at (D-A move)

Either way, kudos to you csbrad58 for taking the high road.

Re: Palestine duck hunter ?? [Re: wild bill] #13045874 01/29/19 09:53 PM
D
doctorb Offline
Angler
Angler
D
I wish the game warden had written them tickets. Maybe they would have learned their lesson.

Re: Palestine duck hunter ?? [Re: wild bill] #13046170 01/30/19 01:56 AM
R
RKT Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
R
From what the hunter said about the two boats fishing right up beside their decoys, the anglers should have gone to the boat ramp afterwards and loaded their boat up. Surely they know it is illegal to move in that close to duck hunters and they surely know the tournament rules say they must obey all state laws. At that point they should have DQ'd themselves. Especially after being confronted by a warden. This may be a time when a ticket may be appropriate, if for not other reason, to make tournament anglers start to follow the rules of the tournaments.

Re: Palestine duck hunter ?? [Re: wild bill] #13046291 01/30/19 03:57 AM
T
ToasterWEyes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
It's always nice to get the other side of the story. I can say as a bass fisherman or general user of the lake I would never dream of acting like that.

It's only a good cast if you catch a fish...
Personal Best: 11.62 lbs
Re: Palestine duck hunter ?? [Re: doctorb] #13046343 01/30/19 05:46 AM
SkeeterRonnie Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
Originally Posted by doctorb
I wish the game warden had written them tickets. Maybe they would have learned their lesson.

and DQ'd them from their tournament. they got lucky for thier unethical actions. should have been DQ'd.

Re: Palestine duck hunter ?? [Re: wild bill] #13046492 01/30/19 02:06 PM
S
SKR3 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Lets find out if they placed in the Tourney!

Re: Palestine duck hunter ?? [Re: wild bill] #13046505 01/30/19 02:15 PM
L
Laker One Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
popcorn2

Re: Palestine duck hunter ?? [Re: SKR3] #13046650 01/30/19 03:50 PM
RedRanger Offline
burro desagradable
burro desagradable
Originally Posted by SKR3
Lets find out if they placed in the Tourney!

Yea, take their first place earnings for $250

Re: Palestine duck hunter ?? [Re: wild bill] #13046744 01/30/19 05:06 PM
C
COKEMAN Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
C
I'm not a duck hunter, but the easy response or frame-of-mind to mitigate these kinds of encounters would be "if is was another fisherman and not a duck hunter, would you just roll up on them and pitch your bait into the same brushpile/dock they are fishing?" I know what the answer SHOULD be, but more and more these days, the less courteous answer is chosen. me me me me me me me me me

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide