Forums59
Topics1,039,337
Posts13,963,100
Members144,199
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Palestine duck hunter ?? [Re: Smash-Tech Custom Baits] #13044193 01/28/19 02:07 PM
T
Tx Tree Grower Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by Smash-Tech Custom Baits
Sometimes it's accident, sometimes it's not. Had an instance a couple of years ago during a high school tournament where a team was fishing just outside the hunter's decoys to which the hunters said "what's the deal? yall are fishing in my decoys." The reply from the high school team's boat captain was "We're not yet, but we're about to be." Something like that is completely unacceptable and sickening that some captains teach the kids that that is ok behavior. It's very simple, if you see decoys or hear shooting stay out of the area until they pack up. If you accidently come in on a group of hunters apologize for getting in their way and move out of the area. I try to tell people to think about if the roles were reversed and you were fishing a spot at daylight and a group of duck hunters came buzzing in and threw their decoys out right where you were casting. Either scenario is no good and yes like stated above if done intentionally could land someone in jail for hunter harrasment.

So what is an acceptable amount of space to give you guys? I don't duck hunt so I have no idea what you guys expect here. So if I'm at Fork (guessing this is where this encounter happened) and fishing up in Glade Creek and stumble on you, what do you expect? How far away do I need to get to avoid an angry post on Texas Fishing forum? South of the 515 bridge?? 1/4 mile?? Out of gun sound range? Honest question, hope you hunters will answer it.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Palestine duck hunter ?? [Re: wild bill] #13044224 01/28/19 02:28 PM
ssmith Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
some folks dont even give fishermen room why would you think they would give it to other sportsmen. i doubt that if there were fishermen in a small area duck hunters would set decoys out an take the chance of peppering them.

Re: Palestine duck hunter ?? [Re: wild bill] #13044268 01/28/19 02:59 PM
S
SC-001 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
It was the last weekend of duck season, give the guy some room...

Re: Palestine duck hunter ?? [Re: Smash-Tech Custom Baits] #13044275 01/28/19 03:03 PM
S
SC-001 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Sometimes it's accident, sometimes it's not. Had an instance a couple of years ago during a high school tournament where a team was fishing just outside the hunter's decoys to which the hunters said "what's the deal? yall are fishing in my decoys." The reply from the high school team's boat captain was "We're not yet, but we're about to be." Something like that is completely unacceptable and sickening that some captains teach the kids that that is ok behavior. It's very simple, if you see decoys or hear shooting stay out of the area until they pack up. If you accidently come in on a group of hunters apologize for getting in their way and move out of the area. I try to tell people to think about if the roles were reversed and you were fishing a spot at daylight and a group of duck hunters came buzzing in and threw their decoys out right where you were casting. Either scenario is no good and yes like stated above if done intentionally could land someone in jail for hunter harrasment.

Some of the behavior by the high school bassers is atrocious, I've seen it made my blood boil mad

Re: Palestine duck hunter ?? [Re: wild bill] #13044277 01/28/19 03:04 PM
B
Beast From The East Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
I fish caddo a lot and those duck hunters out there are no joke. They peppered two tour pontoon boats last year.

If I hear duck calls, I go the other direction.

Re: Palestine duck hunter ?? [Re: Txduckhunter] #13044292 01/28/19 03:10 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Originally Posted by Txduckhunter
Originally Posted by Mark Perry
Originally Posted by Jaret Latta
What if it's a trailer tournament and you idle into an area before the duck hunters set up decoys? Couldn't you argue they are harassing you?

First come, first served would by my guess/opinion. Been wrong before though...a lot so I might be off base here.

are you going to be idling in there at 3-4 in the morning? I can promise the duck hunter will be there by that time or earlier.

Sounds like that makes it even easier...they were there first...I would move on.

Re: Palestine duck hunter ?? [Re: Tx Tree Grower] #13044298 01/28/19 03:14 PM
Sinkey Online Content
Tidy Scoop
Online Content
Tidy Scoop
Originally Posted by Tx Tree Grower

So what is an acceptable amount of space to give you guys? I don't duck hunt so I have no idea what you guys expect here. So if I'm at Fork (guessing this is where this encounter happened) and fishing up in Glade Creek and stumble on you, what do you expect? How far away do I need to get to avoid an angry post on Texas Fishing forum? South of the 515 bridge?? 1/4 mile?? Out of gun sound range? Honest question, hope you hunters will answer it.

There is no written rule about how much space to give. Heath is saying the same thing myself and most are saying. If you come across someone hunting, be courteous and give them their space. I fish Fork all the time, and hunt it sometimes. Hunt Glade, and building a house in there. If Im coming down a bank and turn a corner, and see decoys, Ill just turn back and go the other way. Which has happened a lot out there. Normally you wont see them til you get right up on them.
My rule of thumb is I give them the space I'd want if I were hunting over there. And most times its just go to another spot. Besides....aint no bass worth accidently getting shot over! eek

Re: Palestine duck hunter ?? [Re: wild bill] #13044323 01/28/19 03:27 PM
S
SC-001 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Accident?!, who said it was an accident grin

Re: Palestine duck hunter ?? [Re: SC-001] #13044359 01/28/19 04:03 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Originally Posted by Legend LE-195

Some people have no clue on hunting seasons and don't care. I just think if you decide to hunt a really popular bass fishing area during a tournament, be prepared. I've seen it happen a lot on Rayburn in the canyons and on Toledo in 1215. Ya they are great duck hunting areas but even better bass fishing. When you have 15-20 boats running in to the area, they don't don't know you're there until it's too late. Most of the duck hunters I've seen just pack up and move. Can't expect bass fisherman to know the "unwritten rules" when they are on the lake. It's not like some of these places are backwaters and super shallow hard to get into. These guys will setup out on the main lake.

Re: Palestine duck hunter ?? [Re: Jarrett Latta] #13044364 01/28/19 04:10 PM
S
SC-001 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S

Some people have no clue on hunting seasons and don't care. I just think if you decide to hunt a really popular bass fishing area during a tournament, be prepared. I've seen it happen a lot on Rayburn in the canyons and on Toledo in 1215. Ya they are great duck hunting areas but even better bass fishing. When you have 15-20 boats running in to the area, they don't don't know you're there until it's too late. Most of the duck hunters I've seen just pack up and move. Can't expect bass fisherman to know the "unwritten rules" when they are on the lake. It's not like some of these places are backwaters and super shallow hard to get into. These guys will setup out on the main lake.

It works both ways, you think all the hunters have a clue about bass fishing?, first come first serve and the GW will continue to enforce as such.

Re: Palestine duck hunter ?? [Re: Jarrett Latta] #13044367 01/28/19 04:17 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah

Guys that "don't care" put themselves in the line of fire. As soon as they get peppered they start raising hell. Tournament fisherman do not own the water. Main lake or not. If there are duck hunters there, just move along. If I'm there first and hunting ducks, I'm damned sure not going to pack up and leave because some "my my my" guy in a bass boat comes in on me. Should be the other way around. I, for one, am glad to hear the Game Warden was helping some fishermen not get cited for interfering with a hunter. Plus, keeping them safe from stray shotgun pellets.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: Palestine duck hunter ?? [Re: wild bill] #13044368 01/28/19 04:19 PM
buda13 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Usually this time of year the duck hunters are done before the bass really turn on anyway. If I'm headed into a creek and duckers are set up I pick another creek and come back later. Common courtesy and respect for your fellow man, really should not be very difficult to figure out. I get it though, in a tournament situation it would suck... all the best water on Palestine this time of year is in the middle of duck central!

Re: Palestine duck hunter ?? [Re: Jarrett Latta] #13044385 01/28/19 04:38 PM
T
TreeBass Offline
Lt. Dan
Lt. Dan
T

Some people have no clue on hunting seasons and don't care. I just think if you decide to hunt fish a really popular bass fishing area during a tournament, be prepared. I've seen it happen a lot on Rayburn in the canyons and on Toledo in 1215. Ya they are great duck hunting areas but even better bass fishing. When you have 15-20 boats running in to the area, they don't don't know you're there until it's too late. Most of the duck hunters I've seen just pack up and move. Can't expect bass fisherman to know the "unwritten rules" when they are on the lake. It's not like some of these places are backwaters and super shallow hard to get into. These guys will setup out on the main lake.

Fixed it for you

I dont have a dog in this hunt, but we do experience the same scenarios down here in Central Texas. As a sportsman, I take the time to know the laws and regulations on whatever particular body of water I hunt or fish on.

I expect those that call themselves sportsman to do the same

Harassment of hunters, trappers or anglers (Sportsmen's Rights Act) is punishable by a fine of $200 to $2000 and/or 180 days in jail.
https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/...l-regulations/laws-penalties-restitution

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/PW/htm/PW.62.htm
thumb

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others

Sure-Life Products
Dobyns Rods
Holding The Line Guide Service
www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum
Re: Palestine duck hunter ?? [Re: SC-001] #13044387 01/28/19 04:40 PM
S
Shallow Waters Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S

Some of the behavior by the high school bassers is atrocious, I've seen it made my blood boil mad

My first thought when I saw this thread on Sunday was "how long is it going to take for the high school trails get bashed on this thread. Turns out it was page 2. Funny how there were no high school tournaments this weekend on Palestine, I believe there was FOM and Media Individuals, but go ahead and get your licks in.

Re: Palestine duck hunter ?? [Re: fouzman] #13044403 01/28/19 04:54 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Originally Posted by fouzman

Guys that "don't care" put themselves in the line of fire. As soon as they get peppered they start raising hell. Tournament fisherman do not own the water. Main lake or not. If there are duck hunters there, just move along. If I'm there first and hunting ducks, I'm damned sure not going to pack up and leave because some "my my my" guy in a bass boat comes in on me. Should be the other way around. I, for one, am glad to hear the Game Warden was helping some fishermen not get cited for interfering with a hunter. Plus, keeping them safe from stray shotgun pellets.

I get all that, I am not going to intentionally fish into someone's spread. I meant these areas where tons of boats will be in and out all day fishing. Can't expect all of them to know it's duck season and to know that exact area has guys hunting. Most of them just know it's a good spot to fish. It's just what I've witnessed many times. 1 Hunter can't get upset when tons of different boats are in and out all day. If I'm bass fishing an area and 30-40 duck boats come in and setting up or scouting, I'm probably going to get the hint.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide