Re: Saints no call [Re: bill oxner] #13037449 01/21/19 05:18 PM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
I feel terrible for the Saints and their fans
Hard to believe that having so many huge controversies going into the Super Bowl is just a coincidence
It gives the media something to talk about for the next two weeks and then into the offseason (just like deflate gate)

Id guess someone in the league office thought about overturning the no call immediately; but, then weighed those ramifications vs all the publicity

[Linked Image]
Re: Saints no call [Re: fouzman] #13037549 01/21/19 06:42 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by fouzman
Goodell is too weak to EVER do something like that.

He is, and in this case, I think thats a good thing. I dont think that rule is for situations like this. Its for catostrophic situations, like a natural disaster during the game, or a bomb threat in the middle of the game that results in the game being called and stadium evacuated, or a referee being caught red handed gambling on the outcome of that specific game, or the game otherwise needing to be called before it is played to conclusion.

I think that non-call was absurd and the officiating in general is terrible. People can say that the Saints should have won if theyd done ten other things differently, which is true. It doesnt matter. Thats an inexcusable no call. The refs shouldnt impact a game in that way, whether its a preseason game or the Super Bowl.

But the game cant be overturned or replayed because of a missed call. Human officials are part of the game, even though I think there are things the league can do to mitigate situations like last night, such as expanding replay reviews.

[Linked Image]
Re: Saints no call [Re: bill oxner] #13037551 01/21/19 06:43 PM
Hard Rain Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
I read where Bill Belichick has said all plays should be subject to challenge including penalties or no calls. You would still have the same amount of challenges but you could challenge any play for review. To me that makes the most sense for a play like this and would have corrected the no call.

Re: Saints no call [Re: Hard Rain] #13037554 01/21/19 06:47 PM
B
bill oxner Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
B
Originally Posted by Hard Rain
I read where Bill Belichick has said all plays should be subject to challenge including penalties or no calls. You would still have the same amount of challenges but you could challenge any play for review. To me that makes the most sense for a play like this and would have corrected the no call.

Well articulated.

[Linked Image]

The birds and the guides follow mr out
Re: Saints no call [Re: bill oxner] #13037566 01/21/19 06:56 PM
B
Bass&More Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted by bill oxner

Well articulated.

Another Bill in action peep
[Linked Image]

Re: Saints no call [Re: bill oxner] #13037645 01/21/19 08:10 PM
S
Sawhorse Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
Yes, it was a horrible no-call. Replay seems to clearly indicate at least one penalty on that play. But....the whole worst no-call in the history of the NFL stuff seems a bit drama queen to me. Ive seen a lot of horrible calls and no-calls. Players cant control what will/wont be called. Players should focus on what they can control.

We can say, The Saints lost because of a bad no-call inside the last 2 minutes of the game. Couldnt we also say, The Saints lost because they hadnt created a large enough point differential in the first +58 minutes, so a bad no-call inside the last 2 minutes impacted the outcome.?

You cant over-emphasize how big that no-call was, but those players had +58 minutes of a 60 minute game to eliminate that no-call from impacting the outcome. True?

Re: Saints no call [Re: Sawhorse] #13037683 01/21/19 08:45 PM
Happykamper Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Sawhorse
Yes, it was a horrible no-call. Replay seems to clearly indicate at least one penalty on that play. But....the whole worst no-call in the history of the NFL stuff seems a bit drama queen to me. Ive seen a lot of horrible calls and no-calls. Players cant control what will/wont be called. Players should focus on what they can control.

We can say, The Saints lost because of a bad no-call inside the last 2 minutes of the game. Couldnt we also say, The Saints lost because they hadnt created a large enough point differential in the first +58 minutes, so a bad no-call inside the last 2 minutes impacted the outcome.?

You cant over-emphasize how big that no-call was, but those players had +58 minutes of a 60 minute game to eliminate that no-call from impacting the outcome. True?

Come on man, most of the games are decided in the fourth quarter, usually in the last 4-6 minutes, they were screwed out of a Super Bowl, you cannot even put that into words how bad that was.

[Linked Image]
Re: Saints no call [Re: Hard Rain] #13037698 01/21/19 08:58 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

I think this is what will end up happening. One thing that needs to be figured out is a way for the reviews to be more expedient. I dont think a time limit is the answer or needed, but the league needs to figure out a system that makes these things take less time. Cant have a three minute break to review a no-call.

[Linked Image]
Re: Saints no call [Re: bill oxner] #13037701 01/21/19 09:04 PM
S
Samsonsworld Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
S
I say leave it to a booth review and take the stupid red flags away.

Re: Saints no call [Re: Duck_Hunter] #13037703 01/21/19 09:05 PM
Hard Rain Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter

I think this is what will end up happening. One thing that needs to be figured out is a way for the reviews to be more expedient. I dont think a time limit is the answer or needed, but the league needs to figure out a system that makes these things take less time. Cant have a three minute break to review a no-call.

To me the Belichick idea seems to be the best and easiest way to fix this problem.

Re: Saints no call [Re: Happykamper] #13037763 01/21/19 09:47 PM
S
Sawhorse Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by Happykamper

Come on man, most of the games are decided in the fourth quarter, usually in the last 4-6 minutes, they were screwed out of a Super Bowl, you cannot even put that into words how bad that was.

Yeah Im really not intending to minimize it. I just hate focusing on shoulda, woulda, couldas that I have no control over. Maybe I shouldnt have commented.

Re: Saints no call [Re: Scagnetti] #13037771 01/21/19 09:51 PM
R
RayBob Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
R
Originally Posted by Scagnetti
Originally Posted by RayBob
Travesty
I’ve always discounted your conspiracy theories about the NFL league office “favoring” certain teams but this is BS what happened today. I didn’t think anything could trump what happened in the Saints game until I saw the Patriots game

2018 World Series: LAD vs BOS
2019 Super Bowl: LAR vs NE

Coincidence? I think not

LA needs the boost. In a non-NFL supportive city this will give the Rams the boost they need maybe. This would be the thought process behind conspiracy.

In this case though the League waited pretty darned late to pull off their conspiracy (1:47 left???). I think this is just a horrible call. Not enough of a body of work in this game to see favoritism to either team. This was one play very late in the game that changed the outcome. Followed the league trend a horrible officiating.

Me being me though I won't rule out outcome engineering by The League. grin

Advice? Wise men don't need it. Fools won't heed it.

Re: Saints no call [Re: Hard Rain] #13037777 01/21/19 10:01 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter

To me the Belichick idea seems to be the best and easiest way to fix this problem.

I agree. I also think the league needs to figure out a way to streamline the process so each challenge or review doesnt take five minutes.

[Linked Image]
Re: Saints no call [Re: Sawhorse] #13037787 01/21/19 10:15 PM
R
RayBob Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
R
Yes, it was a horrible no-call. Replay seems to clearly indicate at least one penalty on that play. But....the whole “worst no-call in the history of the NFL” stuff seems a bit drama queen to me. I’ve seen a lot of horrible calls and no-calls. Players can’t control what will/won’t be called. Players should focus on what they can control.

We can say, “The Saints lost because of a bad no-call inside the last 2 minutes of the game.” Couldn’t we also say, “The Saints lost because they hadn’t created a large enough point differential in the first +58 minutes, so a bad no-call inside the last 2 minutes impacted the outcome.”?

You can’t over-emphasize how big that no-call was, but those players had +58 minutes of a 60 minute game to eliminate that no-call from impacting the outcome. True?

Don't think you can say that the no-call falls on the Saints. This was 2 evenly matched teams. They played a pretty evenly matched game earlier in the season. If the penalty is called then the Saints run the clock down to under 20 seconds and kick a FG Guaranteed win. With the no-call the game went from an almost sure win to opening the door for the Rams.

Stolen victory

Advice? Wise men don't need it. Fools won't heed it.

Re: Saints no call [Re: RayBob] #13037826 01/21/19 11:03 PM
S
Sawhorse Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by RayBob
Yes, it was a horrible no-call. Replay seems to clearly indicate at least one penalty on that play. But....the whole “worst no-call in the history of the NFL” stuff seems a bit drama queen to me. I’ve seen a lot of horrible calls and no-calls. Players can’t control what will/won’t be called. Players should focus on what they can control.

We can say, “The Saints lost because of a bad no-call inside the last 2 minutes of the game.” Couldn’t we also say, “The Saints lost because they hadn’t created a large enough point differential in the first +58 minutes, so a bad no-call inside the last 2 minutes impacted the outcome.”?

You can’t over-emphasize how big that no-call was, but those players had +58 minutes of a 60 minute game to eliminate that no-call from impacting the outcome. True?

Don't think you can say that the no-call falls on the Saints. This was 2 evenly matched teams. They played a pretty evenly matched game earlier in the season. If the penalty is called then the Saints run the clock down to under 20 seconds and kick a FG Guaranteed win. With the no-call the game went from an almost sure win to opening the door for the Rams.

Stolen victory

I dont disagree and hopefully nothing I wrote that contradicts this. If it does, I didnt write it correctly. (Which is certainly possible).

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide