Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Beans in chili [Re: UTDmiller] #13029413 01/14/19 08:26 PM
TexDawg Offline
Top Dawg
Top Dawg
Originally Posted by UTDmiller
I like beans in my chili if chili is the meal, if chili is used as a topping on another item i dont like beans in it. Just preference, its still chili regardless of what half the people on here say popcorn

I completely agree

Re: Beans in chili [Re: kdub#1] #13029415 01/14/19 08:27 PM
SgtDag Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Chili is a stew

The end

"If you're going through hell keep going." Winston Churchill

Originally Posted by 1ShotNoKills
I open mouth kiss my sisters
Re: Beans in chili [Re: Cast] #13029424 01/14/19 08:34 PM
Bigbob_FTW Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Dispute over ingredients

Ingredients for chili con carne
Beans
Beans, a staple of Tex-Mex cuisine, have been associated with chili as far back as the early 20th century.[12] The question of whether beans belong in chili has long been a matter of contention among chili cooks. While it is generally accepted that the earliest chilis did not include beans, proponents of their inclusion contend that chili with beans has a long enough history so as to not be considered unauthentic.[13] The Chili Appreciation Society International specified in 1999 that, among other things, cooks are forbidden to include beans in the preparation of chili for official competitionnor are they allowed to marinate any meats.[14] Small red or pink common beans are commonly used for chili, as are black-eyed peas, kidney beans, pinto beans, great northern beans, or navy beans.

A bowl of Texas-style chili without beans
Chili may or may not contain beans and may even be made without any other vegetables whatsoever besides chili peppers.

Most commercially prepared canned chili includes beans. Commercial chili prepared without beans is usually called "chili no beans" in the United States. Some U.S. manufacturers, notably Bush Brothers and Company and Eden Organic, also sell canned precooked beans (without meat) that are labeled "chili beans"; these beans are intended for consumers to add to a chili recipe and are often sold with spices added.

Tomatoes
Tomatoes are another ingredient on which opinions differ. Wick Fowler, north Texas newspaperman and inventor of "Two-Alarm Chili" (which he later marketed as a kit of spices), insisted on adding tomato sauce to his chili one 15-oz. can per three pounds of meat. He also believed that chili should never be eaten freshly cooked but refrigerated overnight to seal in the flavor. Matt Weinstock, a Los Angeles newspaper columnist, once remarked that Fowler's chili "was reputed to open eighteen sinus cavities unknown to the medical profession."[15]

[Linked Image][Linked Image] FJB
Re: Beans in chili [Re: Bigbob_FTW] #13029522 01/14/19 10:11 PM
elcoyote, esq. Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Bigbob_FTW
Dispute over ingredients

Beans
Beans, a staple of Tex-Mex cuisine, have been associated with chili as far back as the early 20th century.[12] The question of whether beans belong in chili has long been a matter of contention among chili cooks. While it is generally accepted that the earliest chilis did not include beans, proponents of their inclusion contend that chili with beans has a long enough history so as to not be considered unauthentic.[13] The Chili Appreciation Society International specified in 1999 that, among other things, cooks are forbidden to include beans in the preparation of chili for official competitionnor are they allowed to marinate any meats.[14] Small red or pink common beans are commonly used for chili, as are black-eyed peas, kidney beans, pinto beans, great northern beans, or navy beans.

Chili may or may not contain beans and may even be made without any other vegetables whatsoever besides chili peppers.

Most commercially prepared canned chili includes beans. Commercial chili prepared without beans is usually called "chili no beans" in the United States. Some U.S. manufacturers, notably Bush Brothers and Company and Eden Organic, also sell canned precooked beans (without meat) that are labeled "chili beans"; these beans are intended for consumers to add to a chili recipe and are often sold with spices added.

Tomatoes
Tomatoes are another ingredient on which opinions differ. Wick Fowler, north Texas newspaperman and inventor of "Two-Alarm Chili" (which he later marketed as a kit of spices), insisted on adding tomato sauce to his chili one 15-oz. can per three pounds of meat. He also believed that chili should never be eaten freshly cooked but refrigerated overnight to seal in the flavor. Matt Weinstock, a Los Angeles newspaper columnist, once remarked that Fowler's chili "was reputed to open eighteen sinus cavities unknown to the medical profession."[15]

I will not sit here and allow a dirty okie try to school me on Texas history. In the words of your lord and savior Nancy Pelosi, I reject your facts.

Team wolfs

Originally Posted by Allison1
I had to perform. It took a minute to get it all in my mouth and another five to swallow it all.

Re: Beans in chili [Re: Bigbob_FTW] #13029566 01/14/19 11:01 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Dispute over ingredients

Beans

Tomatoes

Yankee

Re: Beans in chili [Re: Cast] #13029660 01/15/19 12:12 AM
B
bill oxner Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
[Linked Image]

Guess.

[Linked Image]

The birds and the guides follow mr out
Re: Beans in chili [Re: bill oxner] #13029668 01/15/19 12:18 AM
Westside. Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by bill oxner
[Linked Image]

Guess.

Probably 100

Re: Beans in chili [Re: Cast] #13029731 01/15/19 01:06 AM
ToadSnatcher14 Offline
Team Slot Fish
Team Slot Fish
I see things are still the same, maybe try a recipe with a little less ingredients!

Re: Beans in chili [Re: bill oxner] #13029734 01/15/19 01:09 AM
elcoyote, esq. Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by bill oxner
[Linked Image]

Guess.

Spaghetti Os?

Team wolfs

Originally Posted by Allison1
I had to perform. It took a minute to get it all in my mouth and another five to swallow it all.

Re: Beans in chili [Re: elcoyote, esq.] #13029810 01/15/19 01:54 AM
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted by elcoyote, esq.
Dispute over ingredients

Beans

Tomatoes

I will not sit here and allow a dirty okie try to school me on Texas history. In the words of your lord and savior Nancy Pelosi, I reject your facts.

I'll have you know my sister was in the daughters of the republic. My mom's side of the family is fully Texan. My grandfather, a member of the famous Mansfield clan from bandara, a former border patrol, put beans in his chili. You Sir, have crossed the line. You pick the boat ramp!

Re: Beans in chili [Re: Cast] #13029827 01/15/19 02:09 AM
F
fish4bass Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
Originally Posted by Cast
A guy posted his best ever chili recipe on THF. It started with two cans of beans.

Let me say that Im not against beans in chili but I wont use them unless I need to stretch a pot to feed a bunch of folks.

So, if you just have to put beans in your chili, do it right. Use dried beans of your choice, kidneys have a thick skin and will hold up well. Cook them in beef broth with a dried red chili and good chili powder, and S&P. Also garlic power finds a rare use in these beans. Cook them throughly as they wont go in the chili pot, as you add them on demand at the serving table. You want the beans to have a nice chili taste so they dont ruin your good chili. Drop a whole jap in the beans to add great taste and a little kick. Store chili and beans separately in the fridge overnight to get the best taste before you serve.

So there, you can have your beans and eat good chili too.

I know right. When I am making Chili for a mixed crowd...... I also make a pot of frigole on the side. Just common sense.

Last edited by fish4bass; 01/15/19 02:09 AM.

And I know who "Jeff" is.
Re: Beans in chili [Re: fish4bass] #13029845 01/15/19 02:23 AM
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted by fish4bass
Originally Posted by Cast
A guy posted his best ever chili recipe on THF. It started with two cans of beans.

Let me say that Im not against beans in chili but I wont use them unless I need to stretch a pot to feed a bunch of folks.

So, if you just have to put beans in your chili, do it right. Use dried beans of your choice, kidneys have a thick skin and will hold up well. Cook them in beef broth with a dried red chili and good chili powder, and S&P. Also garlic power finds a rare use in these beans. Cook them throughly as they wont go in the chili pot, as you add them on demand at the serving table. You want the beans to have a nice chili taste so they dont ruin your good chili. Drop a whole jap in the beans to add great taste and a little kick. Store chili and beans separately in the fridge overnight to get the best taste before you serve.

So there, you can have your beans and eat good chili too.

I know right. When I am making Chili for a mixed crowd...... I also make a pot of frigole on the side. Just common sense.

That's the way my mom did it.

Re: Beans in chili [Re: Cast] #13032605 01/17/19 04:02 PM
R
Rayzor Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
I just saw a poll on MSN. 77% of the voters said chili with beans.

Be safe,
Rayzor
[Linked Image]
2001 Triton Tx-21/225 Mercury EFI
Re: Beans in chili [Re: Rayzor] #13032628 01/17/19 04:24 PM
Ted Martin Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by Rayzor
I just saw a poll on MSN. 77% of the voters said chili with beans.

was that a poll of Texans or yankees, cannucks, and euros?

Re: Beans in chili [Re: Cast] #13032634 01/17/19 04:26 PM
B
BSanders Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
No beans in chili, but do put hamburger meat in beans!! food

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide