Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Argentina Bird Hunt, who’s been? [Re: Ghost4BH] #12993550 12/12/18 09:09 PM
L
Leonardo1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
L
Went with Sier Safaris several years back and it was absolutely top notch. Trip of a lifetime. Lodging was excellent, food was better(they enjoy beef down there), and more dove that you can ever dream of. I have to say I am not a fan of the beer down in Argentina but they had other stuff to drink.

The limiting factor on our trip was how many boxes of shells your pocket book could handle. Our package came with 2500 but I could have easily shot twice that amount or more. I would recommend negotiating your shells into your package, they seem to throw them in pretty easily up front but once your down there, they were $11 per box.

The one thing we did, that I wouldn't do again, is I took my own shotgun. It was $100 for the permits but it was a hassle every time we entered or exited an airport. We had a layover in Chile and had to go down on the tarmac to open up our cases. Not to mention putting that many rounds through it. We were told it was $75 per day to rent a shotgun through the lodge, and at that point in my life I would have rather spent the money on shells, plus we didn't know what they would be handing us. Hindsight the charge was only $40 per day and they were handing out Benelli Montefeltro's. That is also something that could probably be negotiated up front in the package.

I would hunt with Sier Safaris again in a heartbeat. I accompanied my uncle who had been once before. We did see plenty of people in the airport that didn't have the success we did. Not sure why. It was my understanding that the outfitter we went with owned the roost, estimated 23 million dove on 500 acres. We woke up and hunted the wind each day and most afternoons between the roost and water. I know he has several different lodges depending on the time of year, ect… We were able to return to the lodge between hunts each day, they would have empanadas waiting on us as a snack then provide a nice lunch. Main point I am trying to make is we didn't spend hours traveling each day back and forth. 20 minutes in a van one way was about it.

I don't concern myself with what they do with the harvest, we were told it goes to the local poor and soup kitchens, but I see the money spent as a contribution to the economy. These outfitters provide lots of jobs for the locals.

Re: Argentina Bird Hunt, who’s been? [Re: Ghost4BH] #12993556 12/12/18 09:17 PM
V
von rage Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
V
I would add that if you are serious about going go to the Dallas Safari Club convention in January. There will be 20 or more outfitters who will be there that you can talk to.

Re: Argentina Bird Hunt, who’s been? [Re: Ghost4BH] #12993557 12/12/18 09:25 PM
RATZ Online Happy
Activity Coordinator
Online Happy
Activity Coordinator
$11 per box is insane especially when you see the videos and how much you would be shooting. If i recall the other thread they didn't keep any of the birds. Don't remember if it's cause there were just too many or if they weren't allowed to bring any back.

If God is your co-pilot then change seats

https://abaltcustomlures.com/

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Argentina Bird Hunt, who’s been? [Re: Ghost4BH] #12993565 12/12/18 09:29 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
It's on my list to go one day, I know 3 or 4 who have and enjoyed it

Re: Argentina Bird Hunt, who’s been? [Re: RATZ] #12993566 12/12/18 09:30 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Originally Posted by RATZ
$11 per box is insane especially when you see the videos and how much you would be shooting. If i recall the other thread they didn't keep any of the birds. Don't remember if it's cause there were just too many or if they weren't allowed to bring any back.

I'm pretty sure the point of this trip is not to save money on shells

Re: Argentina Bird Hunt, who’s been? [Re: WAWI] #12993570 12/12/18 09:35 PM
RATZ Online Happy
Activity Coordinator
Online Happy
Activity Coordinator
Originally Posted by WAWI

I'm pretty sure the point of this trip is not to save money on shells

I get that, but it looks like you could go through $2,000 in shells easily in two days. At some point the real cost has to come into play.

If God is your co-pilot then change seats

https://abaltcustomlures.com/

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Argentina Bird Hunt, who’s been? [Re: Ghost4BH] #12993585 12/12/18 09:43 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
I was also told that the food and wine were very good.

Re: Argentina Bird Hunt, who’s been? [Re: Leonardo1] #12993624 12/12/18 10:31 PM
Ghost4BH Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Leonardo1
Went with Sier Safaris several years back and it was absolutely top notch. Trip of a lifetime. Lodging was excellent, food was better(they enjoy beef down there), and more dove that you can ever dream of. I have to say I am not a fan of the beer down in Argentina but they had other stuff to drink.

The limiting factor on our trip was how many boxes of shells your pocket book could handle. Our package came with 2500 but I could have easily shot twice that amount or more. I would recommend negotiating your shells into your package, they seem to throw them in pretty easily up front but once your down there, they were $11 per box.

The one thing we did, that I wouldn't do again, is I took my own shotgun. It was $100 for the permits but it was a hassle every time we entered or exited an airport. We had a layover in Chile and had to go down on the tarmac to open up our cases. Not to mention putting that many rounds through it. We were told it was $75 per day to rent a shotgun through the lodge, and at that point in my life I would have rather spent the money on shells, plus we didn't know what they would be handing us. Hindsight the charge was only $40 per day and they were handing out Benelli Montefeltro's. That is also something that could probably be negotiated up front in the package.

I would hunt with Sier Safaris again in a heartbeat. I accompanied my uncle who had been once before. We did see plenty of people in the airport that didn't have the success we did. Not sure why. It was my understanding that the outfitter we went with owned the roost, estimated 23 million dove on 500 acres. We woke up and hunted the wind each day and most afternoons between the roost and water. I know he has several different lodges depending on the time of year, ect… We were able to return to the lodge between hunts each day, they would have empanadas waiting on us as a snack then provide a nice lunch. Main point I am trying to make is we didn't spend hours traveling each day back and forth. 20 minutes in a van one way was about it.

I don't concern myself with what they do with the harvest, we were told it goes to the local poor and soup kitchens, but I see the money spent as a contribution to the economy. These outfitters provide lots of jobs for the locals.

Thanks for the info thumb

Re: Argentina Bird Hunt, who’s been? [Re: RATZ] #12993629 12/12/18 10:33 PM
Duck_Hunter Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru

How much should a box of ammo cost? $11 is cheap.

[Linked Image]
Re: Argentina Bird Hunt, who’s been? [Re: Ghost4BH] #12993649 12/12/18 10:49 PM
C
Crowbar Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
C
Shoot Beartrap a message. He has been MANY times and has posted some good info on other boards about his trips in the past.

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading
Re: Argentina Bird Hunt, who’s been? [Re: WAWI] #12993651 12/12/18 10:51 PM
rj74955 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by WAWI
Wasn't there a thread on this that went sideways a while back

Yes, the entire OT peta patrol came out in force, they should be along shortly.

Re: Argentina Bird Hunt, who’s been? [Re: Ghost4BH] #12993657 12/12/18 10:55 PM
B
beartrap Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
years ago my wife told me that if going dove hunting in south America was one of those things I had to do before I died,go ahead...I did and that was 16 trips ago...the last 14 trips have been to Inti Malal lodge owned by the Olsen family and located at the edge of the Andes near Tucuman in northwest Argentina....here is a link to their website....
http://www.olsenfamily.com.ar/en/inti-malal-lodge...
James Bendele,owner of Falcon Tackle and I have been several times together over the years and here is a link to a story he wrote about one of our trips..great description of what you can expect from the lodge we go to.....
http://www.tackleandrods.com/lake/Argentina3.htm
as far as the numbers of doves,argentina is one of those deals you just have to see to believe....

one of the first things people ask is how much does it cost....answer is $6000.-7.000 total which will include airfare,food,tips,gun rentals and shells...this would be for 4 days of hunting and shooting 1000 shells each day...
word of caution...before I went to south America the first time,I talked to a couple of guys who had hunted all over the world and both told me the same thing....do not let the price of an overseas hunt be the primary reason you choose a lodge or an outfitter....reasoning behind this is that you are going to pay a lot of money just for airfare and you want to have a first class experience....there's a lot of stories out there about hunters who went for a cheap price and got a cheap experience..

I'll be glad to answer any questions you might have..
[Linked Image]

Last edited by beartrap; 12/12/18 11:01 PM.
Re: Argentina Bird Hunt, who’s been? [Re: Ghost4BH] #12993658 12/12/18 10:55 PM
D
dkershen Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
I went in June of last year. Enjoyed it so much I now partner with the outfitter and help book hunts. Just shooting dove can get tedious. I highly recommend a trip like I did that includes duck and partridge as well.

Here is the photo blog I did on THF about my trip:
https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/6812519/1

And here are a couple links to trips I can help book. The top link has a lot of Q&A answered to educate you on Argentina Hunting. PM me if you want to chat. thumb
https://texashuntingforum.com/forum...xed-bag-duck-partridge-hunts#Post6818568
https://texashuntingforum.com/forum...tina-dove-hunt-super-special#Post7110080

Re: Argentina Bird Hunt, who’s been? [Re: Duck_Hunter] #12993659 12/12/18 10:57 PM
1ShotNoKills Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter

How much should a box of ammo cost? $11 is cheap.

www.groupon.com

Re: Argentina Bird Hunt, who’s been? [Re: beartrap] #12993664 12/12/18 11:01 PM
Ghost4BH Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by beartrap
years ago my wife told me that if going dove hunting in south America was one of those things I had to do before I died,go ahead...I did and that was 16 trips ago...the last 14 trips have been to Inti Malal lodge owned by the Olsen family and located at the edge of the Andes near Tucuman in northwest Argentina....here is a link to their website....
http://www.olsenfamily.com.ar/en/inti-malal-lodge...
James Bendele,owner of Falcon Tackle and I have been several times together over the years and here is a link to a story he wrote about one of our trips..great description of what you can expect from the lodge we go to.....
http://www.tackleandrods.com/lake/Argentina3.htm
as far as the numbers of doves,argentina is one of those deals you just have to see to believe....

one of the first things people ask is how much does it cost....answer is $6000.-7.000 total which will include airfare,food,tips,gun rentals and shells...
word of caution...before I went to south America the first time,I talked to a couple of guys who had hunted all over the world and both told me the same thing....do not let the price of an overseas hunt be the primary reason you choose a lodge or an outfitter....reasoning behind this is that you are going to pay a lot of money just for airfare and you want to have a first class experience....there's a lot of stories out there about hunters who went for a cheap price and got a cheap experience..

I'll be glad to answer any questions you might have..
[Linked Image]

Thanks BT I’ll check out those links later.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide