Forums59
Topics1,039,271
Posts13,961,992
Members144,197
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12
Re: Boat Swamped during High School tourney last weekend?? [Re: Donald Harper] #12987987 12/07/18 05:57 PM
M
MagFluker Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted by Donald Harper
TO HIGH SCHOOL CAPTAINS AND PARENTS:

COACHING YOUR KIDS.
I am a coach and teacher with 37 years of experience in working with students. I would like to offer my life time of tournament experience to teach your students everything they need to know about boating etiquette, safety, fishing instruction and setting goals.

My courses are offered as a full day course geared to the students experience and covers all of the basics.
- Organizing your equipment
- Using that equipment
- Casting
- Safety: equipment, boat and weather
- Knowledge of the boat
- Pleasing the Captain with experience and responsibility
- Interpreting the Rules
- Partnerships with Team and Captain
- How to Sell yourself as a valued Team Member
- Paying to Play; when and how
- Practice Daily

Just like any other after school program that patients sign their kids up for; I will also teach them on a weekly basis 3 days per week and take them to the lake for instruction once a month. These students get instructions on: baits, techniques and mapping skills.

Real solution here, nice Mr. Harper.

Kyle in NC

PB 11.1

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Boat Swamped during High School tourney last weekend?? [Re: SC-001] #12988026 12/07/18 06:30 PM
C130 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by Legend LE-195
Originally Posted by WAWI
.... and there are kids fishing with captains that the kids parents have never even met. Can you imagine that?
So they doing random pairings now? i agree with it because there was cheating last year whenh some of the parents were captaining their own kids, dad catches big fish and gives it to the kid, it was a cluster last year... but I digress and see your point of strangers with kids.

So, exactly what was the cluster last year? Ive been doing it for three years now and while Id certainly like to see a few minor changes and improvements I think its gone very well. One dad cheated, so what? Adults in adult tournaments cheat also. Some people will always cheat no matter what. Some guys like to bitch about everything. Kids stay home they bitch, they get outside and fish they bitch, blah blah blah. Too bad kids cant be perfect like some of you guys used to be.

Its definitely not perfect but from my experience its 99% the parents, not the kids. After running a club for three years now nothing surprises me with some parents. I agree on the fact some parents dont even care enough to meet the adults taking their kids out. Its pathetic but happens all the time. I cant imagine letting my kid out on a lake with a person Ive never met.

Last edited by C130; 12/07/18 06:33 PM.

Bass Cat Eyra
Re: Boat Swamped during High School tourney last weekend?? [Re: Douglas J] #12988029 12/07/18 06:31 PM
S
Smurfs Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
S
popcorn

Re: Boat Swamped during High School tourney last weekend?? [Re: Douglas J] #12988048 12/07/18 06:55 PM
J
Jeff From Iowa Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Glad nobody got hurt, I helped two ladies who got swamped this year and would be curious about what you should do to recover a boat like that? How do you roll it over etc?

Re: Boat Swamped during High School tourney last weekend?? [Re: Douglas J] #12988291 12/07/18 09:43 PM
White Oak Skeeter Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I have a grand total of one HS tournament to my credit as captain. Not my kids, but two young men from Rockwall Heath I had never met. One of their dads offered a credit card, cash, anything I wanted, more or less, as thank your my help. His son texted me twice before the event, texted first thing that Saturday morning. They were on time, had their own gear and life jackets, they definitely were pretty solid fisherman and were very polite all day. I never asked for a nickel, but at the end of the day, they each gave me $40. We had a really good day in every possible way, in spite of the rain. I was very impressed with these kids!!

I saw a few clueless people, boaters, kids, truck drivers, etc. but with a very large sampling that day, overall it was a well run tournament and very few problems.

However, I think it's funny when anyone says, "times have changed" and then is able to excuse rude behavior. Yes, I am now 56 and much more easily annoyed. But, I might not have been perfect but, my friends and I were held accountable by our parents, our coaches, other parents, teachers, most adults. Now, kids flat aren't accountable. They are rude to adults, they can't spell, they don't speak, even when spoken to, they have no work ethic, they don't give a crud about their grades, they don't have chores, they are hermits in their rooms, they don't go to church, they don't eat with the family, they don't do squat with the family, on and on. We allow the behavior because we have little help, from like minded adults. As a group, adults/parents/coaches/preachers/teachers we seem to be so afraid of these kids fragile egos that we don't correct in certain terms, we speak softly and act as if the kids run the show. Yes, times are different. However, there are some really good kids who need to be encouraged to fish, hunt, etc. and there are some parents who need to be encouraged to fight the fight. Can you tell I'm a little sick of it !!!! Seems in general, there are far fewer parents who want to PARENT and too many who want to be friends with their kids!! I'd suggest that if you have the time at all, volunteer your time, your boat, and yes, possibly your gas, rods, reels, etc. to maybe help a kid who is actually trying to do right!

Re: Boat Swamped during High School tourney last weekend?? [Re: Douglas J] #12988349 12/07/18 10:37 PM
S
SC-001 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by BWBForney
I have a grand total of one HS tournament to my credit as captain. Not my kids, but two young men from Rockwall Heath I had never met. One of their dads offered a credit card, cash, anything I wanted, more or less, as thank your my help. His son texted me twice before the event, texted first thing that Saturday morning. They were on time, had their own gear and life jackets, they definitely were pretty solid fisherman and were very polite all day. I never asked for a nickel, but at the end of the day, they each gave me $40. We had a really good day in every possible way, in spite of the rain. I was very impressed with these kids!!

I saw a few clueless people, boaters, kids, truck drivers, etc. but with a very large sampling that day, overall it was a well run tournament and very few problems.

However, I think it's funny when anyone says, "times have changed" and then is able to excuse rude behavior. Yes, I am now 56 and much more easily annoyed. But, I might not have been perfect but, my friends and I were held accountable by our parents, our coaches, other parents, teachers, most adults. Now, kids flat aren't accountable. They are rude to adults, they can't spell, they don't speak, even when spoken to, they have no work ethic, they don't give a crud about their grades, they don't have chores, they are hermits in their rooms, they don't go to church, they don't eat with the family, they don't do squat with the family, on and on. We allow the behavior because we have little help, from like minded adults. As a group, adults/parents/coaches/preachers/teachers we seem to be so afraid of these kids fragile egos that we don't correct in certain terms, we speak softly and act as if the kids run the show. Yes, times are different. However, there are some really good kids who need to be encouraged to fish, hunt, etc. and there are some parents who need to be encouraged to fight the fight. Can you tell I'm a little sick of it !!!! Seems in general, there are far fewer parents who want to PARENT and too many who want to be friends with their kids!! I'd suggest that if you have the time at all, volunteer your time, your boat, and yes, possibly your gas, rods, reels, etc. to maybe help a kid who is actually trying to do right!

Good post, Its different with your own kids or even those that are relatives and will captain those for THSBA, but otherwise due to liability issues I like WAWI I won't be taking other kids out on these.

Re: Boat Swamped during High School tourney last weekend?? [Re: Jeff From Iowa] #12988454 12/08/18 12:25 AM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Originally Posted by Jeff From Iowa
Glad nobody got hurt, I helped two ladies who got swamped this year and would be curious about what you should do to recover a boat like that? How do you roll it over etc?

I sunk a boat years ago. Used large inner tubes to inflate the boat then towed it to shallow water. Once you are in shallow then it is getting help and using the buoyancy of the inner tubes to roll it over. My boat was only a 15 footer so 2 of us were able to roll it over then pump water out. A larger boat may require a winch to roll it. Not easy but doable.

Re: Boat Swamped during High School tourney last weekend?? [Re: Douglas J] #12988511 12/08/18 01:27 AM
buda13 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I hope all the kids are able to stay safe out there tomorrow on Lewisville... 20 mph N winds with gusts, sub 30 degree wind chill for most of the morning, rain off an on till about 10am, and 52-53 degree water temp. Its good to know the safety of the KIDS takes precedence . bang

Re: Boat Swamped during High School tourney last weekend?? [Re: buda13] #12988569 12/08/18 02:30 AM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Originally Posted by buda13
I hope all the kids are able to stay safe out there tomorrow on Lewisville... 20 mph N winds with gusts, sub 30 degree wind chill for most of the morning, rain off an on till about 10am, and 52-53 degree water temp. Its good to know the safety of the KIDS takes precedence . bang

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Re: Boat Swamped during High School tourney last weekend?? [Re: Douglas J] #12988629 12/08/18 03:19 AM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
[Linked Image]

Re: Boat Swamped during High School tourney last weekend?? [Re: Douglas J] #12988642 12/08/18 03:31 AM
R
Rob W. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
popcorn

[Linked Image]
Re: Boat Swamped during High School tourney last weekend?? [Re: Douglas J] #12988650 12/08/18 03:37 AM
ToadSnatcher14 Offline
Team Slot Fish
Team Slot Fish
No skin in the game here...If safety of the kids is not considered, and coercion of kids and captains to do dangerous things, then this is one screwed up deal.

Live to fish another day.

Re: Boat Swamped during High School tourney last weekend?? [Re: Douglas J] #12988691 12/08/18 04:06 AM
Brent S Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Back trailer into the water, leave boat attached, make several casts, then leave.

Last edited by Brent S; 12/08/18 04:07 AM.
Re: Boat Swamped during High School tourney last weekend?? [Re: Douglas J] #12988796 12/08/18 06:29 AM
SkeeterRonnie Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
Nothing will change until they lose a life. Ive captained for one on Texoma! Great kid, very polite, great angler! I did see several inexperienced Captains allowing their team to cut off other boats. The ramp was a nightmare. They fish with a lot of boats in each tournament! I pray all are safe tomorrow!

Last edited by SkeeterRonnie; 12/08/18 06:29 AM.
Re: Boat Swamped during High School tourney last weekend?? [Re: Douglas J] #12988984 12/08/18 04:02 PM
O
OK Bass Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
O
Great Post, lots to think about, planning to capt for my grandson in Lindale, and partner to be named in future, Feb is first tourney, Thank you all for your input

Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide