Forums59
Topics1,039,320
Posts13,962,817
Members144,199
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
Re: Boat Swamped during High School tourney last weekend?? [Re: K.D.] #12986539 12/06/18 05:09 AM
D
Douglas J Online Content OP
TFF Guru
OP Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted by K.D.
Lots of assumptions here... let me play devils advocate

Just because it happened during the event doesnt mean the person it happened to was in the event

That looks more like a dinghy or sailboat than a bass boat. Look how small it is....and why isnt the outboard sticking up in the air

As for the boat on the trailer....how do we know hes loading? He may just as easily backed down with the winch straps loose and be about to climb aboard when he took the photo.

We were called and notified by the tow boat Captain that they were recovering a swamped vessel that was participating in the tournament.

The picture is from another person who was at the tournament and said that was a tournament boat in the picture. Not sure if it is the same boat or a different vessel.

That is why I posted here, just curious about the details.

#MFGA
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Boat Swamped during High School tourney last weekend?? [Re: Douglas J] #12986588 12/06/18 12:06 PM
R
rmorris Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
I work with the boat captains dad. He told me that his son told him they had a wave come over the side and started taking on more water. From wat I understand he was on the trolling motor when this happened. I actually saw the boat washed up against a retaining wall. The game warden, captain and the kids were standing on the bank.

Re: Boat Swamped during High School tourney last weekend?? [Re: Douglas J] #12986596 12/06/18 12:16 PM
Hard Rain Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Winds were crazy last Sat out of the west not sure about RH but I was driving around GV and it was as rough as I have ever seen it.

Re: Boat Swamped during High School tourney last weekend?? [Re: SC-001] #12986641 12/06/18 01:40 PM
C130 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by Legend LE-195
Originally Posted by WAWI
There is no telling with that crew

Yep I've been saying, accident waiting to happen...

You mean like every other tournament series, it seems Rayburn and Toledo claim a boat or two each year. Then the pros have lost a boat or two in the last couple of years along with lives.

Bass Cat Eyra
Re: Boat Swamped during High School tourney last weekend?? [Re: SC-001] #12986652 12/06/18 01:55 PM
R
RKT Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R

Maybe we should just cancel all tournament fishing then. I have fished adult tournaments in Texas where boats collided and killed a driver. At a local lake near me a tournament boat ran into a pleasure boat killing numerous people. I guess tournaments are just a an "accident waiting to happen." With the number of boats in these high school tournaments I would say there has been less accidents per capita than there has been In club tournaments. Sounds to me like you two are just butt hurt about something.

Re: Boat Swamped during High School tourney last weekend?? [Re: Douglas J] #12986664 12/06/18 02:05 PM
361V Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Lots of conjecture here on the TFF(surprise!) but little known facts. My brothers, cousins, friends, sister told me... Little to no facts here except that is not a picture of a swamped bass boat!

Re: Boat Swamped during High School tourney last weekend?? [Re: RKT] #12986667 12/06/18 02:07 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Originally Posted by RKT

Maybe we should just cancel all tournament fishing then. I have fished adult tournaments in Texas where boats collided and killed a driver. At a local lake near me a tournament boat ran into a pleasure boat killing numerous people. I guess tournaments are just a an "accident waiting to happen." With the number of boats in these high school tournaments I would say there has been less accidents per capita than there has been In club tournaments. Sounds to me like you two are just butt hurt about something.

I only captained about 20 events for kids (not my own) I guess I shouldn't say anything. It's all perfect out there. Lol

Re: Boat Swamped during High School tourney last weekend?? [Re: Douglas J] #12986671 12/06/18 02:10 PM
BriannShell Offline
Extremely Happy Angler
Extremely Happy Angler
popcorn

Lions do not concern themselves with the opinions of sheep
Re: Boat Swamped during High School tourney last weekend?? [Re: WAWI] #12986728 12/06/18 02:48 PM
R
RKT Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Originally Posted by RKT

I only captained about 20 events for kids (not my own) I guess I shouldn't say anything. It's all perfect out there. Lol

I think you should say something. However, you should say something of substance that can help benefit others. You obviously have experience in these events so shouldn't you say something that will help others instead of just making negative comments. If you are willing to captain then I assume you are the type of person that is willing to help teach and educate others. Not just kids but other captains that are new to boating. Shouldn't this site be about helping others?

Re: Boat Swamped during High School tourney last weekend?? [Re: RKT] #12986729 12/06/18 02:49 PM
206champion Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by RKT

Well said buddy I was a boat captain for my grandson team before they graduated and granted there is some people that dont know what they are doing but I guarantee there is in a lot of tournaments , Im just glad no one was hurt.

Re: Boat Swamped during High School tourney last weekend?? [Re: Douglas J] #12986740 12/06/18 02:51 PM
Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life) Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Must of been a supper small boat for a wave to capsize it while your on the trolling motor at the boat ramp..

Re: Boat Swamped during High School tourney last weekend?? [Re: RKT] #12986744 12/06/18 02:54 PM
C
coachallentca Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by RKT

I was a captain for a highschool Team. The problem I see is that they need boat captains so bad they are willing to let anyone be a boat captain as long as they have insurance. A lot of the people being captain have never been in a bass tournament before and have no clue. They get on the lake when it's dark and I had seen were they boat did not have running lights.

Re: Boat Swamped during High School tourney last weekend?? [Re: 9094] #12986769 12/06/18 03:13 PM
F
FlatBack4 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
Originally Posted by 9094
Originally Posted by K.D.
Lots of assumptions here... let me play devils advocate

Just because it happened during the event doesnt mean the person it happened to was in the event

That looks more like a dinghy or sailboat than a bass boat. Look how small it is....and why isnt the outboard sticking up in the air

As for the boat on the trailer....how do we know hes loading? He may just as easily backed down with the winch straps loose and be about to climb aboard when he took the photo.

I was thinking the same. Looks like a little flat hull rowboat.

Who says it's a boat? Could be a belly up carp.

Re: Boat Swamped during High School tourney last weekend?? [Re: Douglas J] #12986783 12/06/18 03:21 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
I just call it like I see it. There is this idea on here that if you say anything other than great things everyone thinks you hurting high school fishing. I have captained all over north texas for 4 years, regional, state, the lake fork summer deal multiple times. There are way too many inexperienced captains, there are also way too many inexperienced kids on these boats. Sometimes you need 2 people capable of doing things in certain weather conditions. The fields are way way too big. I have fished in conditions in high school events that kids have no business being on the water in but directors wont delay, cancel, etc. I have high limit insurance and an umbrella policy and even with that I'm not willing to take on the liability of anyones kid other than mine in these deals anymore. It's my opinion that someone's gonna lose a kid eventually and the good deed of trying to help a kid go fishing is gonna go really wrong, for the kid, the parents, the school and the best intentioned captain. That said I'll take a kid that wants to go and learn anytime.

Re: Boat Swamped during High School tourney last weekend?? [Re: Douglas J] #12986834 12/06/18 03:57 PM
R
RKT Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Wawi - I have no problem with someone stating the negatives or problems with something. However, after stating a problem then try to come up with a solution. Even better, try to get involved and help implement a solution. If we ignore the problems we will never improve. If we only complain about problems and do nothing to help then we are no better than today's politicians.

In regards to safety in bad weather conditions it ultimately is the captains responsibility to maintain safety of the occupants of the boat. THSBA sets some standards for boat captains but it is really up to the school/club to approve them. How do you suggest we educate new boat captains in a manner that still allows all the kids who want to participate to do so?

Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide