Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 5 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17
Re: Major League Fishing League [Re: Brent S] #12896319 09/12/18 01:57 AM
Chris B Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Be interesting to see who gives up their elite angler status. Hard to get back in if things don't work out.

[Linked Image]
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Major League Fishing League [Re: Mark Perry] #12896360 09/12/18 02:40 AM
M
mikereils5er Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
Saw where Jerry McKinnis posted this a little while ago:

Lot's of things going on in Professional bass fishing right now. Some things good others not so good. Everybody wants to use the expression "Growing the sport, but most of time the sport stays the same for the most part. Want to hear what I think should be done.(It won't be done because there are to many big egos) but it should be.

Here goes.... All three groups--BASS--MLF--FLW, should come together and form ONE LEAGUE. All sponsor money should be directed towards this ONE LEAGUE. There should be 80 anglers competing in this league at the very top level and there should be 2 levels, or qualifying levels, below the top. (theres more detail to all of this but I just won't get into it right now)...there should be one person, a commissioner if you will, who sees over every bit of this. just like there is in baseball, the NFL, etc, ....then there is one television show--one magazine--one web site--and so on.

With everyone pulling together enough money should and could be raised where in many cases entry fees would be a thing of the past. I could on and on about this but you get the point.

Right now everything is split up and going in all different directions and everyone is trying to out do the other. If everyone came together and was great at their job, we could stop trying to grow the sport....it would grow itself.

This is pretty good stuff

Re: Major League Fishing League [Re: sjrizzo] #12896361 09/12/18 02:44 AM
M
mikereils5er Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
Originally Posted By: sjrizzo
For the most part I enjoy watching MLF, but sometimes it gets boring watching dink fests.

look at the weights at some of the tourneys this year lol

Re: Major League Fishing League [Re: Brent S] #12896395 09/12/18 03:36 AM
D
Douglas J Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D
I guess since MLF is partly owned by a group of well known anglers, it sounds like they may have figured a way to make some of the profits that big corporations, that own the 2 major tours, have been making off them for many years.

If you look at the "nuts and bolts" of being a professional angler, and all the individual expenses for each angler, the money isn't that good once you get past the top 3-5% of anglers.

#MFGA
Re: Major League Fishing League [Re: Brent S] #12896417 09/12/18 04:18 AM
R
RedRaider3933 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Im sure Im in the minority but I dont see the appeal of MLF with the exception of fish care. Even then fish care isnt a major problem except in summer events and those are rarely held in places where water temps soar into the upper 80s and 90s. As someone who tries to absorb knowledge of the sport and get better at figuring out how to get quality bites I couldnt care less about a guy catching 50 one pound fish. They will follow the money as they should since its a career for them. Definitely not knocking that. Just as a grass roots tournament guy I dont care to see bank beating and winning $100k for It. It seems like it diminishes the skill set of the anglers.

Go Tech
Re: Major League Fishing League [Re: Brent S] #12896431 09/12/18 05:17 AM
fosterfence Offline
Angler
Angler
My question is does all the anglers have to wear MLF sponsor logos? Does that change their current sponsors? I know anglers can talk about rod, reel, and baits. Can KVD still use Talon and Humminbird? So many questions. Then after you get the 80, where does the next come from? FLW and BASS? If so, you want to use them as farm club so you dont saturate your own market. I think business plan FLW is in best spot. Even if they lose 20 this year, there will be 160 on Tour. If BASS loses 50, they have 50. Grassroots FLW has a better base.
What I want to see is FLW-BASS joint venture once a year. Not the Classi, and not the Cup, but once a year top 35 from each compete.

Re: Major League Fishing League [Re: Mark Perry] #12896530 09/12/18 12:46 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
Saw where Jerry McKinnis posted this a little while ago:

Lot's of things going on in Professional bass fishing right now. Some things good others not so good. Everybody wants to use the expression "Growing the sport, but most of time the sport stays the same for the most part. Want to hear what I think should be done.(It won't be done because there are to many big egos) but it should be.

Here goes.... All three groups--BASS--MLF--FLW, should come together and form ONE LEAGUE. All sponsor money should be directed towards this ONE LEAGUE. There should be 80 anglers competing in this league at the very top level and there should be 2 levels, or qualifying levels, below the top. (theres more detail to all of this but I just won't get into it right now)...there should be one person, a commissioner if you will, who sees over every bit of this. just like there is in baseball, the NFL, etc, ....then there is one television show--one magazine--one web site--and so on.

With everyone pulling together enough money should and could be raised where in many cases entry fees would be a thing of the past. I could on and on about this but you get the point.

Right now everything is split up and going in all different directions and everyone is trying to out do the other. If everyone came together and was great at their job, we could stop trying to grow the sport....it would grow itself.

Jerry McKinnis talking about egos roflmao Perhaps if B.A.S.S. had this mindset previously, there wouldn't be a new PBT. Remember when MLF originally launched? McKinnis poo poo'ed the whole deal and said he would write more about it later on. He never did. Nothing but sour grapes from Jerry, now.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: Major League Fishing League [Re: Brent S] #12896554 09/12/18 01:09 PM
Mark Perry Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
I'm just gonna wait for MLF to release all the details as well as anglers names before I form an opinion either way.

Re: Major League Fishing League [Re: Brent S] #12896565 09/12/18 01:15 PM
PK Logistics Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
To me this is just Corporate America 101. I think its hard for most of us, myself included, to associate bass fishing and a hobby for most, as a business. But this is exactly what this is. And within Corporate America (and really everywhere), there is a lot GREED. Jerry McGinnis is an example of this.

The very day the guys formed MLF is the day you should have formed your "NFL, NBA" or whatever. Not years later after this happened and you put out a rallying cry. You can't tell me you didn't see the writing on the wall that something like this would happen....no, you just rode that pony as long as you could. Furthermore, years ago BASS started with the whole "Bass Live" and it has grown in popularity AND in amount of commercials within a broadcast. Guess what commercials do? They generate revenue. And guess where all that money went? Well, it certainly didn't go to any of the payouts of the events. What does Jerry make a year? $3.8M?

To me, Greed and Ego finally caught up to BASS. Can they adjust? Of course they can if they have the right people and right vision. But in my opinion, that starts at the top.

And...finally. The Elites are going to leave. At least the majority of them. Why else would the guys not getting the MLF invites be upset that they didn't get chosen? They would have left too. Because this is a business to them and its how they provide for their families...and MLF gives them the chance at more money, more exposure, and less cost.

Re: Major League Fishing League [Re: Champion1] #12896581 09/12/18 01:26 PM
Bissett Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Champion1
If BASS guys leave their spots will be filled with open qualifiers and then FLW guys flock to the opens trying to get in. Theres more money in BASS than FLW by sponsors. Its pretty well known.

BASS is making that hard to do with the new format. Too much time off work for a lot of people. It gives the guys with the most money/time a better chance to qualify than the better angler. Especially if it takes more than a year or two to qualify

Re: Major League Fishing League [Re: PK Logistics] #12896582 09/12/18 01:26 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
Originally Posted By: MIG Trucking
To me this is just Corporate America 101. I think its hard for most of us, myself included, to associate bass fishing and a hobby for most, as a business. But this is exactly what this is. And within Corporate America (and really everywhere), there is a lot GREED. Jerry McGinnis is an example of this.

The very day the guys formed MLF is the day you should have formed your "NFL, NBA" or whatever. Not years later after this happened and you put out a rallying cry. You can't tell me you didn't see the writing on the wall that something like this would happen....no, you just rode that pony as long as you could. Furthermore, years ago BASS started with the whole "Bass Live" and it has grown in popularity AND in amount of commercials within a broadcast. Guess what commercials do? They generate revenue. And guess where all that money went? Well, it certainly didn't go to any of the payouts of the events. What does Jerry make a year? $3.8M?

To me, Greed and Ego finally caught up to BASS. Can they adjust? Of course they can if they have the right people and right vision. But in my opinion, that starts at the top.

And...finally. The Elites are going to leave. At least the majority of them. Why else would the guys not getting the MLF invites be upset that they didn't get chosen? They would have left too. Because this is a business to them and its how they provide for their families...and MLF gives them the chance at more money, more exposure, and less cost.

Precisely. We may be calling it The Delete Series roflmao

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: Major League Fishing League [Re: RedRaider3933] #12896642 09/12/18 02:00 PM
I
Ian Fellenbaum Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I
Originally Posted By: RedRaider3933
Im sure Im in the minority but I dont see the appeal of MLF with the exception of fish care. Even then fish care isnt a major problem except in summer events and those are rarely held in places where water temps soar into the upper 80s and 90s. As someone who tries to absorb knowledge of the sport and get better at figuring out how to get quality bites I couldnt care less about a guy catching 50 one pound fish. They will follow the money as they should since its a career for them. Definitely not knocking that. Just as a grass roots tournament guy I dont care to see bank beating and winning $100k for It. It seems like it diminishes the skill set of the anglers.

Agree

STORAGE CONTAINERS TO GO
Sales-Rentals-Rent to Own
Re: Major League Fishing League [Re: Brent S] #12896679 09/12/18 02:16 PM
K
kellisag Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
For you guys saying the Elites won't leave you need to open your eyes. MLF was built from a group of anglers, do you think they would be willing to take this leap if they didn't think they would have the participation? The only way they don't leave is if there are no scheduling conflicts or they aren't invited.

I can't wait to see how this all unfolds.

Re: Major League Fishing League [Re: RedRaider3933] #12896715 09/12/18 02:41 PM
G
grout-scout Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted By: RedRaider3933
Im sure Im in the minority but I dont the appeal.

I think more agree with you than you think. I loved it at first, but the new wore off and the dinkfest began.

Re: Major League Fishing League [Re: Brent S] #12896723 09/12/18 02:48 PM
Outdoordude Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I don't know if this is good news for the "sport," at least in the short term. I don't think professional fishing will be a financially wise career choice for most until there is one unified league funneling all of the resources into a tier-1 level of professional anglers with lower tiers functioning as a qualification route to tier-1. McKinnis may only be butthurt because someone is taking anglers away from the mighty Elite Series for all I know, but I think he does have a point about slicing the pie even further. Maybe this is just another step in restructuring professional fishing on the way towards a clear winner that consumes the other two into one league.

Scott Jones
Page 5 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide