Page 1 of 2 1 2
Full moon troubles!? #12878696 08/28/18 03:03 AM
S
sdgull Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
How does the full moon affect your fishing?

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Full moon troubles!? [Re: sdgull] #12878716 08/28/18 03:24 AM
NickHasty Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Blood moon, super moon, full moon, aint never done anything good to my fishing.

Re: Full moon troubles!? [Re: sdgull] #12878745 08/28/18 04:02 AM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
We have made trips to Mexico on every moon imaginable. We usually catch 100 Bass per day out of each boat. With this high number of fish it makes for a great testing time. The only difference that I have noticed is 3 days before the Full Moon more fish begin to move in and stage in 10 to 15 ft. of water. This allows us to catch them at all levels from 2 ft. out to 15 foot. Out side of this period there are less deeper water fish staging. Nothing better is happening during the Full Moon week in the shallows; no more or no less fish.

There are always two flights of fish; the shallow water fish, and another flight waiting to move into the shallows at 8 ft.. Many of those second flight deeper fish are spawning in the tops of the deeper bushes. During the Full Moon week this third flight appears and are feeding up on the staging areas in 15 ft..

Once I figured this out, we work our trips during those weeks of the Full Moon so we have good fish at all levels. This also gives us an excellent opportunity to catch several over 10 lbs. out a little deeper as the females have not been beat up by the huge males. The males will push the Big Females to the beds in a few days and not allow them to bite. I really see no difference otherwise.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Full moon troubles!? [Re: sdgull] #12878814 08/28/18 11:57 AM
J
Jpurdue Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
Makes no difference what so ever in relation to largemouth bass. Ask anyone who claims it does to produce a scientific study to validate their position. What they'll find and you'll find is there are in fact studies out there, but they all show no coloration between movement or catch rates and the moon phase.

The one possible exception here could be around the spawn. I know a lot of guys absolutely swear the first wave of big fish typically moves up around the first full moon. I have not seen a study that specifically looks at this phenomena. I'm intensely skeptical myself, but I can't say for certain here.

What I can say with statistical certainty is that more bass are not caught around any particular moon phase across the course of a year. If you are so motivated you can quickly confirm this yourself by downloading the sharelunker data and comparing it to the moon phases. Not convinced? Move on to the Toledo Bend Lunker Club data. Just those two data sets alone will give you access to a few thousand data points.

Last edited by Jpurdue; 08/28/18 11:58 AM.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Full moon troubles!? [Re: sdgull] #12878816 08/28/18 12:00 PM
BCBassCat Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
night fished RR Saturday from 9-1:30 because of the full moon and didn't get a bite. Ray Roberts sucks!!

Re: Full moon troubles!? [Re: sdgull] #12878856 08/28/18 01:01 PM
NickHasty Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I think its fascinating that it doesnt seem to effect bass in a good or bad way, but with muskie, its night and day! muskie guys really focus on lunar conditions, and it pays off. why do you yall think that is?

Re: Full moon troubles!? [Re: NickHasty] #12878943 08/28/18 01:55 PM
J
Jpurdue Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted By: NickHasty
I think its fascinating that it doesnt seem to effect bass in a good or bad way, but with muskie, its night and day! muskie guys really focus on lunar conditions, and it pays off. why do you yall think that is?

I do a lot of musky fishing. I think the musky guys are out of their minds also. I've looked at enormous reams of data here as well and there is no correlation. People are very susceptible to confirmation bias. They remember the data points that coincide with their mental models they believe in, but forget all the times they didn't get bit when they were "supposed to." If there is a correlation there, it's that musky fisherman love to fish moonrise and moonset of new and full moons, which of course always coincide with sunrise and sunset. They are just good old fashioned low light conditions, which yeah... those tend to be the best times of day.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Full moon troubles!? [Re: sdgull] #12878952 08/28/18 01:57 PM
T
Tx Tree Grower Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
T
I have no idea if there is a physiological effect on the actual fish or not. That's way above my pay grade. However, I know for a fact that a bright full moon will absolutely change the location and movement of shad in the lake. Certain times of the year it has more of an effect than others. If it changes the pattern of the forage species it has to have at least some effect on the bass. Seems to me that the early morning bite is not as good for me during a full moon and the night bite is certainly worse during a full moon. Probably because the shad are more scattered out. With that said, I fish when I can and rarely look at the moon phase when fishing freshwater. I personally believe that the impact on freshwater fishing is minimal and mainly a light issue rather than physiological. In tidal waters the moon has a huge effect on the fish because it changes the tides. Completely different story in saltwater.

Re: Full moon troubles!? [Re: sdgull] #12879025 08/28/18 02:46 PM
P
Phototex Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
I have absolutely no empirical data to back me up, but I am fully convinced that for whatever reason, I have always caught more bass during the day during the darker moon phases than when the moon is full. At night, it doesn't seem to have mattered, whether fishing topwater lures, spinnerbaits, or soft plastics. Then again, my aging brain might be failing to remember well. For all I know, I could be dead wrong. I think I'd listen to Mr. Purdue.

PB: 10-01 on a Ribbit frog
Re: Full moon troubles!? [Re: sdgull] #12879081 08/28/18 03:23 PM
C
ClarkC Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
I dont concern myself with the full moon moving the fish except during pre spawn. I am a big believer in the moons position in the sky having an affect on the major feeding periods. If you look at a solunar table you will see that the major feeds are when the moon is straight overhead or directly below you. What that means is on or near a full moon there will be major feeds in the middle of the day and the middle of the night. Minor feeds will be shorter and near sunrise and sunset. If I go to the lake I will probably be on the water for around 10 hours. Many times the better fishing seems to coincide with these times. If I was night fishing now there is no way I am quitting at 1am because the fish havent been biting. Ive had too many times where a spot we hit at 10pm produced nothing but were munching at 2:30am when we came back. I try to keep up with all the moon phases and where it will be in the sky when I am at the lake. If nothing else it may give me the confidence to hit a proven spot again 4 or 5 hours after fishing it earlier.

Re: Full moon troubles!? [Re: sdgull] #12879106 08/28/18 03:38 PM
J
justfishin89 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Never noticed any affect

Perfection is a moving target.

USAF

#TightlinesUV #Fishbomb #AmbushLureCo #SixGillFishingProducts #PHCustomLures

https://tightlinesuv.com/?wpam_id=46

Follow me on YouTube and Instagram @JFOutdoor
Re: Full moon troubles!? [Re: Jpurdue] #12879135 08/28/18 03:51 PM
R
redskeet100 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Originally Posted By: Jpurdue
Originally Posted By: NickHasty

I do a lot of musky fishing. I think the musky guys are out of their minds also. I've looked at enormous reams of data here as well and there is no correlation. People are very susceptible to confirmation bias. They remember the data points that coincide with their mental models they believe in, but forget all the times they didn't get bit when they were "supposed to." If there is a correlation there, it's that musky fisherman love to fish moonrise and moonset of new and full moons, which of course always coincide with sunrise and sunset. They are just good old fashioned low light conditions, which yeah... those tend to be the best times of day.

I have been musky fishing for a good 20 years, but the last 10-12 have been just an annual trip to Canada. I can say this, over the years the Full or new moon phase seems to be much less effective for me. I actually hate those phases. Moon rise and set are more important, in my opinion, for activating musky, especially the bigger fish. I am not saying that people don't catch big fish during those phases, but not me.

Re: Full moon troubles!? [Re: sdgull] #12879162 08/28/18 04:06 PM
B
bigfishtx Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
not again...lol

Keep the Lord in your heart and keep your powder dry.
5:5
Re: Full moon troubles!? [Re: Jpurdue] #12879170 08/28/18 04:12 PM
west tex angler Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
[quote=Jpurdue]Makes no difference what so ever in relation to largemouth bass. Ask anyone who claims it does to produce a scientific study to validate their position. What they'll find and you'll find is there are in fact studies out there, but they all show no coloration between movement or catch rates and the moon phase.

The one possible exception here could be around the spawn. I know a lot of guys absolutely swear the first wave of big fish typically moves up around the first full moon. I have not seen a study that specifically looks at this phenomena. I'm intensely skeptical myself, but I can't say for certain here.

What I can say with statistical certainty is that more bass are not caught around any particular moon phase across the course of a year. If you are so motivated you can quickly confirm this yourself by downloading the sharelunker data and comparing it to the moon phases. Not convinced? Move on to the Toledo Bend Lunker Club data. Just those two data sets alone will give you access to a few thousand data points. [/quot

There was a thread posted by Garett earlier this year that clearly showed Share-a Lunker data for big bass. It showed the best time was 2 days before until 2 days after the full moon. Also the new moon +2 or two days after new moon. Hard to read but thats what it showed. I do all of my big bass fishing durring that time, and always plan trips accordingly.

PB 9lbs 13oz
Re: Full moon troubles!? [Re: west tex angler] #12879177 08/28/18 04:24 PM
J
Jpurdue Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted By: west tex angler
[quote=Jpurdue]Makes no difference what so ever in relation to largemouth bass. Ask anyone who claims it does to produce a scientific study to validate their position. What they'll find and you'll find is there are in fact studies out there, but they all show no coloration between movement or catch rates and the moon phase.

What I can say with statistical certainty is that more bass are not caught around any particular moon phase across the course of a year. If you are so motivated you can quickly confirm this yourself by downloading the sharelunker data and comparing it to the moon phases. Not convinced? Move on to the Toledo Bend Lunker Club data. Just those two data sets alone will give you access to a few thousand data points. [/quot

There was a thread posted by Garett earlier this year that clearly showed Share-a Lunker data for big bass. It showed the best time was 2 days before until 2 days after the full moon. Also the new moon +2 or two days after new moon. Hard to read but thats what it showed. I do all of my big bass fishing durring that time, and always plan trips accordingly.

If someone can find the link I'd like to see it. I did this analysis at great length about 2 years ago, and there was nothing there of statistical significance. Sure if you widen the whole thing up to some large window of days MAYBE. Even at +/- 2 days for full and new moons you've now accounted for a full 1/3 of the month. Yeah some fish are going to be caught in that big of a window! I also updated Doug Hanson's graph from his book Big Bass Magic with more current data and the trend he had found at the time he published had vanished with another 20 years of data.

www.LunkerLore.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide