Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Bass Facts And Myths [Re: Fast Lane] #12777505 06/02/18 10:28 AM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Fast Lane
They see shad, bluegill,crawfish ect..everyday....they still eat them...

Those shad, bluegill, crawfish, etc. don't have hooks in them and throw them in a boat when they eat them either. thumb

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Bass Facts And Myths [Re: msbcguy] #12777519 06/02/18 11:23 AM
David Rush Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I have a 15 minute memory also, but there are certain things Ive learned not to do again.

Re: Bass Facts And Myths [Re: David Rush] #12777587 06/02/18 01:37 PM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
Originally Posted By: David Rush
I have a 15 minute memory also, but there are certain things Ive learned not to do again.

Post of the Day!! thumb

roflmao

Re: Bass Facts And Myths [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12863351 08/13/18 11:39 PM
F
Fast Lane Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Those shad, bluegill, crawfish, etc. don't have hooks in them and throw them in a boat when they eat them either. thumb

No but they have fins and pinchers;)

Re: Bass Facts And Myths [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12863353 08/13/18 11:41 PM
F
Fast Lane Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F

Yet they are caught over and over and over....

Re: Bass Facts And Myths [Re: msbcguy] #12863399 08/14/18 12:27 AM
Ted Martin Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
nobody knows for sure but the bass. and they ain't talkin' grin

Re: Bass Facts And Myths [Re: msbcguy] #12863458 08/14/18 01:11 AM
J
John Peebles Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
J
In my experience there are bass that will bite lures day after day, bass that will bite lures once or twice but never again and bass that will never bite a lure. I had a 3 acre pond that I fished almost daily, I thought I had caught just about all the bass in there at least once, I even starting tagging, marking and naming them. I invited a friend to come fish with me one day, he fished live bait and caught several bass that day and several other days that I had never seen, marked or tagged or named. That really opened my eyes as to the fact that there are bass that are "smart" enough to never bite a lure.
As we remove those that will bite anything, we narrow the gene pool to the smarter fish that rarely bite lures or won't bite them at all.

Re: Bass Facts And Myths [Re: Mark Perry] #12863466 08/14/18 01:18 AM
F
Frank the Tank Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
F
Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
Depends on if you think everything Mr. Lusk says is the gospel. Not saying he us wrong but fish don't always read the books and watch the same Youtube videos we do. If they did then everyone would catch them big every trip out.

I'm sure its great information but just being honest I've never heard of the guy tbat I recall.

roflmao

Jesus loves all of us
Re: Bass Facts And Myths [Re: Jpurdue] #12863472 08/14/18 01:21 AM
F
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
F
Originally Posted By: Jpurdue
Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
I think Pros weights drop because they tend to "fish out" a spot. Most lock on a pattern and ride it to death.

Catch rates are 3-5 times higher per hour on Wednesdays vs, Saturdays Steez. You seem like a good dude. Hope to meet you someday. I'll show you the data and win you over yet!

Easy JP..... taps the breaks there bud grin

Jesus loves all of us
Re: Bass Facts And Myths [Re: Frank the Tank] #12863567 08/14/18 02:27 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank
I think Pros weights drop because they tend to "fish out" a spot. Most lock on a pattern and ride it to death.

Catch rates are 3-5 times higher per hour on Wednesdays vs, Saturdays Steez. You seem like a good dude. Hope to meet you someday. I'll show you the data and win you over yet!

I can never be won over. But, I'd be glad to fish with either of you two whenever y'all want.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Bass Facts And Myths [Re: SteezMacQueen] #12863652 08/14/18 03:44 AM
F
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
F
Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank

I can never be won over. But, I'd be glad to fish with either of you two whenever y'all want.

thumb

Jesus loves all of us
Re: Bass Facts And Myths [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12863658 08/14/18 03:57 AM
BigDozer66 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Pressure absolutely matters. In fact it matters more than anything else. I've seen this with statistical certainty across many data sets. If pressure didn't matter you wouldn't see the pro's with lighter weights on day 3 or 4 90% of the time as compared to day 1.

Now in terms of memory, in my opinion Lusk is wrong. Go find 10 bass on a beds in the spring. Stick each one and time how long it takes you on average. Then go back 1 day later and try and stick those same bass and see how long it takes you. If a person could do this, it would be pretty clear those fish take longer to catch the second time around. It's because they "remember" getting stuck.

I think we as fishermen often do give the fish too much credit, but there is zero doubt in my mind they can become conditioned to anglers, lures, and pressure. This is also extremely clear in the data. The effectiveness of new lures goes down over time on most bodies of water. I'm sure some of the old timers could tell you crazy stories of how effective spinnerbaits used to be as compared to now.

Having fished Fork since 1986 in all seasons under all conditions I agree with you 100%. When I first started all you needed was a T-rigged black/blue worm. Now you better be prepared to use every lure/technique and electronics available. Even the most experienced guides that fish the lake daily have slow days. Not discounting luck because it can happen but to be consistent you need to understand how to pattern the fish under all types of weather, conditions and pressure. Most of all you need patience, persistence and dedication. Oh, and a little luck. thumb

The biologists records also showed how the fish quit growing as much the more they were caught.

Is there a 19-20+ pound female swimming amid the waters of Fork (during the Winter-Spring of course) or have they all been "stunted" or have other factors played into it's "demise"?

I use the word "demise" loosely as at one time it was hailed as holding the next World Record class fish and yet it hasn't happened.

Something similar could be said about Casitas and Castiac in California as the Wildlife peeps out there stopped stocking Rainbow Trout years ago and there hasn't been a 20+ caught in a while.

2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO (VF115LA) SS Prop
Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link 45" 80 lb.
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BalZout Console
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BBT Bow Mount
Trick Step

[Linked Image]
Re: Bass Facts And Myths [Re: msbcguy] #12863692 08/14/18 04:51 AM
fosterfence Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
For those that dont believe pressure affects catch rates, have never seen all the filleted heads at docks on Toledo. It definitely affects catch rate there.

Re: Bass Facts And Myths [Re: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)] #12863735 08/14/18 10:52 AM
John175☮ Offline
MACHO MAN
MACHO MAN
Originally Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)
"Fishing pressure" is a made up term to make an average angler feel good about not catching fish.

Yes its my favorite excuse right below the wind, weather, lure, line and my boat not being fast enough!
Boat not being fast enough is not an excuse. It's a fact.

“Do not pray for easier lives. Pray to be stronger men.” -JFK
Re: Bass Facts And Myths [Re: BigDozer66] #12863774 08/14/18 12:13 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: BigDozer66
Pressure absolutely matters. In fact it matters more than anything else. I've seen this with statistical certainty across many data sets. If pressure didn't matter you wouldn't see the pro's with lighter weights on day 3 or 4 90% of the time as compared to day 1.

Now in terms of memory, in my opinion Lusk is wrong. Go find 10 bass on a beds in the spring. Stick each one and time how long it takes you on average. Then go back 1 day later and try and stick those same bass and see how long it takes you. If a person could do this, it would be pretty clear those fish take longer to catch the second time around. It's because they "remember" getting stuck.

I think we as fishermen often do give the fish too much credit, but there is zero doubt in my mind they can become conditioned to anglers, lures, and pressure. This is also extremely clear in the data. The effectiveness of new lures goes down over time on most bodies of water. I'm sure some of the old timers could tell you crazy stories of how effective spinnerbaits used to be as compared to now.

Having fished Fork since 1986 in all seasons under all conditions I agree with you 100%. When I first started all you needed was a T-rigged black/blue worm. Now you better be prepared to use every lure/technique and electronics available. Even the most experienced guides that fish the lake daily have slow days. Not discounting luck because it can happen but to be consistent you need to understand how to pattern the fish under all types of weather, conditions and pressure. Most of all you need patience, persistence and dedication. Oh, and a little luck. thumb

The biologists records also showed how the fish quit growing as much the more they were caught.

Is there a 19-20+ pound female swimming amid the waters of Fork (during the Winter-Spring of course) or have they all been "stunted" or have other factors played into it's "demise"?

I use the word "demise" loosely as at one time it was hailed as holding the next World Record class fish and yet it hasn't happened.

Something similar could be said about Casitas and Castiac in California as the Wildlife peeps out there stopped stocking Rainbow Trout years ago and there hasn't been a 20+ caught in a while.

I think you're on to something there Big, wouldn't know the exact percentage but saying there are 50% more anglers now since 2000 wouldn't be an exaggeration. Even the big bass lakes in Mexico haven't produced a 20 pounder. Camelot Bell, the prolific bass factory here in Texas hasn't produced a bass over 15 pounds which by the way was caught by Ken A. Bass may have a pea sized brain but it would make sense to me that after the trauma of being hooked, fighting for their life, being handled and photographed they couldn't help but be affected in some way.
Electronics, better tackle, better boats and better and more anglers and more tournaments absolutely have increased pressure on our resource. Whether, if or when we see another 20 pounder remains to be seen but I'm not holding my breath. Still a lot of 13-14 pounders out there and that's good enough to keep angler's buying more boats, tackle and spending more time fishing. I'd like to catch another 14 pounder. thumb

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide