Forums59
Topics1,039,331
Posts13,962,997
Members144,199
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Lake Lewisville - Feeding Fish [Re: FeedingFish] #12885554 09/03/18 01:28 PM
F
FeedingFish Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F
Yea maybe, I caught a 8lb catfish at our local pond within minutes, followed by 5lb'r. I know the setup works, just the locations are not great on the lake.

Re: Lake Lewisville - Feeding Fish [Re: FeedingFish] #13051329 02/04/19 12:30 AM
F
FeedingFish Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F
Still haven't caught Jack. Probably going to get a guide to show me around. Anyone know of some decent spots on the south west branch to fish besides the bridge? PM me.

Re: Lake Lewisville - Feeding Fish [Re: FeedingFish] #13051781 02/04/19 05:19 AM
T
ToasterWEyes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
I would hire a guide here in the next month during a good warming trend like stated above. It'll be a blast plus you can cut your learning curve down drastically.

It's only a good cast if you catch a fish...
Personal Best: 11.62 lbs
Re: Lake Lewisville - Feeding Fish [Re: FeedingFish] #13076570 02/27/19 03:59 PM
C
cobryan: OB'S Guide Service Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
I 2nd giving Phil's guide service a call. I saw him post on Sunday that they caught a 4 man limit of sandies along with some bonus crappie and cats.

OB's Guide Service - Lake Lewisville, Lake Ray Roberts, and Lake Fork
972-310-0399
https://obsguideservice.com/
https://www.facebook.com/OBSGuideService

Re: Lake Lewisville - Feeding Fish [Re: FeedingFish] #13077662 02/28/19 04:56 PM
B
BMART Offline
Angler
Angler
B
Captain Phill fill put you on some fish and also teach you the ways to get er done, give Capt Phill a call you will not be disappointed

If it's legal ain't no way in hell it's catch and release, it's CATCH & GREASE, except ROUGH (TRASH) Fish
Re: Lake Lewisville - Feeding Fish [Re: FeedingFish] #13080597 03/03/19 03:55 PM
O
outfishdya Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
O
Feeding Fish
I think I recommended TFF to you. Glad to see you found the place. My suggestions would be...
While many people say they are fishing for anything that bites, you will have more success if you target a species. This is important for time of year also. Bass are slow in cold water, while catfishing can be great. Your equipment even down to the hook can be a factor getting fish to bite, and after the bite, getting them in the boat. On the forum, you will have many more responses if you go to the sections on your target fish as well. There are more readers in those sections.
Learn what your lake has to offer. Lewisville is a good bass lake, but it is a great sandbass lake. Catfish and Crappie can be great too, but may be more difficult find. Sandbass can be found on every main lake point on the lake.
For Feb and March
Follow the birds, if you see birds diving in the water. GO There. Stay out far enough to cast but ry not to run them off. Google humdinger. Buy some they were sold at the gas dock at Tower bay marina for years, but not sure if still there. Fish the humdinger on a slow retrieve and it will go deep. You will also want some spoons, shiny and silver about the size of a minnow. Let the spoons sink all the way to the bottom and jig them back. If you have the ability, live shad around those birds could be the day of a lifetime. Hybrid, large hybrid are likely just below those birds waiting for an easy meal. Cut shad also. Catfish will be down below these birds looking for wounded shad drifting down. From now until the weather gets hot, and they leave, just follow the birds. They are better than any fisherman on here anyway, They literally do it for a living. After the birds move off, use the electronics to find those bait fish and stay on top of them.

Woke up this morning
Got yourself a gun....
Re: Lake Lewisville - Feeding Fish [Re: FeedingFish] #13081217 03/04/19 04:03 AM
361V Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
A few things have changed since Feeding Fish posted this. It was 107 degrees then and it’s going to be 21 degrees tomorrow! laugh

Last edited by 361V; 03/04/19 04:03 AM.
Re: Lake Lewisville - Feeding Fish [Re: outfishdya] #13099728 03/22/19 04:48 AM
F
FeedingFish Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F
Originally Posted by outfishdya
Feeding Fish
I think I recommended TFF to you. Glad to see you found the place. My suggestions would be...
https://texasfishingforum.com/forum...oad&id=092059Baby&init=1&f=1
Yea, I just go out there with my son and throw the kitchen sink at the lake for 5 hours and hope that will work out. It still hasn't, so I guess I need to target something. I even built a thumper, and while fun it hasn't helped. To taunt us, we trolled the old dam opening and there were fish everywhere (carp) and still no bites. [Linked Image]

Mega slap in the face.

I'll try the bird approach; anyone know where I can buy some grenades?

I googled humdinger and got a lot of different lures. Can you post a picture or send me a pm?

I thought about buying a casting net for shad and slicing them up. Maybe that would help.

Re: Lake Lewisville - Feeding Fish [Re: FeedingFish] #13099994 03/22/19 03:05 PM
Uncle Zeek Online Happy
aka "Dad"
Online Happy
aka "Dad"
Search for "little george" lures. They're almost the same as a humdinger.

"Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries --but it is a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate planning & tax attorney
2250 Morriss Road, Suite 205, Flower Mound, Texas 75028
972-746-0758 mobile
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: Lake Lewisville - Feeding Fish [Re: FeedingFish] #13100236 03/22/19 08:20 PM
T
THAPCO4 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
The carp are not going to bite although you might accidentally snag one...hold on if you do. If you know where the cut from Lewisville to Lake Dallas is, try that. I used to catch catfish there all the time on shad. People drop food and everything else there during the summer and the catfish flock in. Sometimes you have to be in the pass, sometimes you need to be on one lake or the other just outside of it. Also try the tires over just outside Pier121 marina for bass.

Re: Lake Lewisville - Feeding Fish [Re: FeedingFish] #13101714 03/24/19 09:44 PM
F
FeedingFish Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F
We hit the lake hard today. It wasn't nearly as windy as forecasted and the south to north wind helped. We fished under the 35 bridge, along both rock sides, dangled worms down 10 bridge poles, and fished along the rocks on the south of the lake (by the drainage outlets). We fished the cut between lake dallas and lewisville in the pass and along the west rock sides. Tried some creeks and boat houses. We had worms and all kinds of lures. I suck at the cast net, so no shad. I'm starting to wonder if it's presentation or if the lake still hasn't heated up.

I feel like we should be catching fish by now......fishing this lake is on a level of it's own.

Last edited by FeedingFish; 03/24/19 09:48 PM.
Re: Lake Lewisville - Feeding Fish [Re: FeedingFish] #13102011 03/25/19 02:32 AM
D
David Burton Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
D
I think you are hitting the right places at the wrong times... Yes, bait selection comes into play. With worms, you are mostly targeting bluegill and other pan species. This time of year, they haven't heated up and staged on those deep pillars. You should be fishing shad, shiners, or minnows.

If you want to target the carp or the big buffalo out there, get dough bait and head towards the Fishing Barge. They have baited holes, and you might be able to luck into some this summer.

Right now, you can head to the BACK of the creeks, look for flat bays and clearer water. Start with moving baits (squarebills, spinnerbaits) in Shad colors - White, White/Chartreuse and cover water, throwing at every stick, stump, willow, and rock on the bank. When you get a bite, or you start to see fish; SLOW DOWN. Pitch a light TxRig Craw imitation in Watermelon Red; Green Pumpkin, or Black/Blue. If that doesn't work, work a weightless fluke in Watermelon Red, or (a Lewisville Special - Plum Apple) in the same areas. Finally, a weightless TxRig or Wacky SENKO in the same colors, and 'DO NOTHING'. Just toss it there, and let it flutter to the bottom. Lift it up, and let it fall again.

I can almost guarantee you will get bit if you see fish using these techniques in the areas I describe here as the water clears and stabilizes to 60 degrees in the next 2 weeks!

After that, follow them out through the months of April and May, from all the way back in the creeks to the secondary points at 2/3 to 1/2 to 1/3 then at the mouth again come June.

David Burton
2015 Skeeter FX 21 +Ultrex +Helix 12 (x3) +Mega360 +MegaLive
Re: Lake Lewisville - Feeding Fish [Re: David Burton] #13102160 03/25/19 11:57 AM
F
FeedingFish Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F
Originally Posted by David Burton
I think you are hitting the right places at the wrong times... Yes, bait selection comes into play. With worms, you are mostly targeting bluegill and other pan species. This time of year, they haven't heated up and staged on those deep pillars. You should be fishing shad, shiners, or minnows.

After that, follow them out through the months of April and May, from all the way back in the creeks to the secondary points at 2/3 to 1/2 to 1/3 then at the mouth again come June.

Well, that's half good news! I'll work on my cast net skills and hit some docks. When you say the back of the creeks, do you mean literal creeks that branch from the lake or just branches of the lake that end. The reason I ask is because there does not appear to be many feeding creeks to Lake Lewisville.

Last edited by FeedingFish; 03/25/19 11:58 AM.
Re: Lake Lewisville - Feeding Fish [Re: FeedingFish] #13102198 03/25/19 12:45 PM
D
David Burton Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
D
I am talking about both. Texas creeks and rivers are formed by the cycle of drought and flood over time. This means that they are long winding narrow structures for the defined Creek channels and wide flats that extend out from the margins. The back of one of these is typically a Bay that is fairly flat with a hard bottom. If the water is clear in this area you're golden, this is the spawning flat for large mouth Bass. If deep water is nearby and/or there is a Creek that extends beyond the Bay then venture into the Creek itself. But if you look at maps, all of the little cuts and bays were creeks themselves at 1 time

David Burton
2015 Skeeter FX 21 +Ultrex +Helix 12 (x3) +Mega360 +MegaLive
Re: Lake Lewisville - Feeding Fish [Re: FeedingFish] #13102201 03/25/19 12:46 PM
Okie Poke Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by FeedingFish
We hit the lake hard today. It wasn't nearly as windy as forecasted and the south to north wind helped. We fished under the 35 bridge, along both rock sides, dangled worms down 10 bridge poles, and fished along the rocks on the south of the lake (by the drainage outlets). We fished the cut between lake dallas and lewisville in the pass and along the west rock sides. Tried some creeks and boat houses. We had worms and all kinds of lures. I suck at the cast net, so no shad. I'm starting to wonder if it's presentation or if the lake still hasn't heated up.

I feel like we should be catching fish by now......fishing this lake is on a level of it's own.

We fished yesterday and the females are moving in....FINALLY! Find protected pockets w/ buckbrush and look for warmest water. Flip until your heart's content and you will catch fish, and prolly some real goodens, too. GL

๐Ÿ˜Ž Dallas Cowboys....eventual Superbowl Champions ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide