Forums59
Topics1,039,325
Posts13,962,855
Members144,199
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12842591 07/26/18 02:49 PM
R
redskeet100 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Was fishing a media tournament one day on Fork and we weighed in and a huge storm was moving in so we tried to hall a back to the ramp we were parked. Rained so hard, I could only watch my trail line on the Lowrance, couldn't see the water. Was extremely stupid and dangerous. Got to the ramp and dropped the passenger off to back the truck down and a huge lightning bolt hit very close to the ramp, probably the most scared I ever have been.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: redskeet100] #12842701 07/26/18 04:14 PM
M
Mike Keenan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
M
I want to say the 2001 bass masters classic in LA, a mutual buddy Mark Tyler was pre-fishing and was hit by lightning and his rod exploded. He woke up under his console with no clue what happened except his rod melted or what was left of it.

R.I.P. Mike "pappy" "broken rod" Green born 07-16-62 on to better fishing 06-10-08.
www.basscat.com

Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: fouzman] #12842944 07/26/18 07:22 PM
Kay Dyson Offline OP
HOT Mess!!!
OP Offline
HOT Mess!!!
There have been way to many times where, you think, man that was close.. Why is it, the damn fish bite like its the best day ever when the air is super charged, and ready to strike. I know for a fact, the fish going nuts on a topwater, as the storm moves in, has kept me fishing well beyond good reasoning.. Winnsboro, behind the iron bridge July 4th weekend, storm rolls in fish are killing a chug bug, can't seem to stop fishing, the bite was so good, rod starts buzzing, hair on our heads and arm starts to bristle, BOOM it hits a tree 50-60 feet from us. We spent the next 40 or so minutes under the bridge...

Fishing Bassing for Babies on Fork, mouth of Alligator, big flat on the south side, again the fish were biting virtually every cast.. My wife Kay says HEY, look at this, her line was literally rising upwards off the water, we both freaked out threw the rods down in the boat, got as low in the bottom of the boat as we could and, BOOM, another close call.. We reeled them up and hauled it over to Oak Ridge and waited it out.. These accounts are but just a couple times the same scenario has played out with the fish biting so good it was clouding good judgement... Lucky to be here, don't do that anymore.

Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12842968 07/26/18 07:37 PM
Sinkey Online Content
Tidy Scoop
Online Content
Tidy Scoop
I remember the Media hail storm and nasty thunderstorms very well. I also remember looking over at Cody Malone in the trout pond and neither of us were leaving. Stupid stupid stupid. Nothing happened but it got nasty. After that tournament I told myself no amount of money was worth it.

Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12842996 07/26/18 07:53 PM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
Originally Posted By: RedSkeeter
There have been way to many times where, you think, man that was close.. Why is it, the damn fish bite like its the best day ever when the air is super charged, and ready to strike. I know for a fact, the fish going nuts on a topwater, as the storm moves in, has kept me fishing well beyond good reasoning.. Winnsboro, behind the iron bridge July 4th weekend, storm rolls in fish are killing a chug bug, can't seem to stop fishing, the bite was so good, rod starts buzzing, hair on our heads and arm starts to bristle, BOOM it hits a tree 50-60 feet from us. We spent the next 40 or so minutes under the bridge...

Fishing Bassing for Babies on Fork, mouth of Alligator, big flat on the south side, again the fish were biting virtually every cast.. My wife Kay says HEY, look at this, her line was literally rising upwards off the water, we both freaked out threw the rods down in the boat, got as low in the bottom of the boat as we could and, BOOM, another close call.. We reeled them up and hauled it over to Oak Ridge and waited it out.. These accounts are but just a couple times the same scenario has played out with the fish biting so good it was clouding good judgement... Lucky to be here, don't do that anymore.

Been right there Billy. Me and Bill Kells were in Smith Creek at Monty one day and it was just like you described. Every time we would make a cast you would have to put your rod tip in the water and jerk your line downward from the sky. It was the first & only time I’ve ever experienced it.

Like you said it was STUPID to stay on the water that day but we were catching four and five pounders every cast. I was literally running my hand controlled trolling motor on my knees on the front deck, trying to stay as low as possible & silently praying that we would not be killed by lightning

And if you knew anything at all about Wild Bill, you knew he was a Man’s Man and no lightning storm was gonna run him off the water. I was bullet-proof back then. We stayed until smack dab dark with lightning bolts flying over head as I ran hard & fast from the RR bridge all the way to the ramp in pouring rain.

I would not do it again but, Man what a memory! I am proud that I can call Bill a friend. He didn't let himself get close to many folks.

Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12843002 07/26/18 07:56 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: RedSkeeter

Been there done that Billy. Next time ( everybody that's reading this post ) you're out riding around Fork and notice all those burnt trees and stumps, that wasn't from a forest fire Ok. And if you decide to beach your boat and run hide under one of those big trees during one of those storms, well best of luck to ya. thumb

Last edited by GIG'EM AGGIES; 07/26/18 07:57 PM.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12843034 07/26/18 08:17 PM
M
montgomery Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Back when I was in the 6th grade a buddy and I were fishing their Pond up in KS and a storm blew in. I took the fish out and tied them to a T post in the water and we stood under a tree. We thought the storm was done I walked out about 20 ft to the T post and all I can remember is flying thru the air and landing on the bank. When I woke up my buddy was laying there he did not make it. They figured it hit the tree and the electricity traveled thru the roots out to where I was at and that is what saved me. Now when it is in the area I head to the ramp.

Last edited by Montgomery; 07/27/18 04:25 PM.
Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12843153 07/26/18 09:44 PM
521Rangerman Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I was on Fork back in 2005 with a friend from work.We were fishing main lake point Little Caney Carolina rig fishing with four other boats in the area.
Seen a small rain cloud on the horizon but heard no thunder.If I heard thunder I would have been off the water fast cause I DON'T like lightning. I am constantly checking the radar.Asked buddy if he wanted to go in just in case that turned into a storm, He said no didn't look like much. We put on our rain suits just in case we needed to make a run to the ramp. We were both standing on the same side of the boat six feet apart.He had just caught nice 7 lb bass and we took a picture.Then back to fishing, Him just behind passenger side and me just in front of the passenger windshield.Boom lightning hit knocked me to front of boat. Not sure if knocked me out or not but got up turned around to check on my buddy and he was gone.Was about to jump in and turn around and seen the bottom of his shoe.Ran and grabbed his leg and some how pulled him in the boat.Bent ignition key trying to hurry and get to ramp. Started boat all alarms going off,lights flashing.
Made it to the ramp got help at dock. Someone went to back my trunk in.Boat wouldn't start,tried trolling motor nada. Look down and trolling motor top was blown off.
Lightning hit my buddy's fishing rod traveled down his body out his shoe and then traveled up the power cable just under me to the trolling motor. My buddy died instantly
and 10k in damage to the boat.Took a long time to get over that.Still not 100% over it.

Last edited by 521Rangerman; 07/26/18 09:45 PM.

Tony Lumpkins
Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: 521Rangerman] #12843166 07/26/18 09:51 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: 521Rangerman
I was on Fork back in 2005 with a friend from work.We were fishing main lake point Little Caney Carolina rig fishing with four other boats in the area.
Seen a small rain cloud on the horizon but heard no thunder.If I heard thunder I would have been off the water fast cause I DON'T like lightning. I am constantly checking the radar.Asked buddy if he wanted to go in just in case that turned into a storm, He said no didn't look like much. We put on our rain suits just in case we needed to make a run to the ramp. We were both standing on the same side of the boat six feet apart.He had just caught nice 7 lb bass and we took a picture.Then back to fishing, Him just behind passenger side and me just in front of the passenger windshield.Boom lightning hit knocked me to front of boat. Not sure if knocked me out or not but got up turned around to check on my buddy and he was gone.Was about to jump in and turn around and seen the bottom of his shoe.Ran and grabbed his leg and some how pulled him in the boat.Bent ignition key trying to hurry and get to ramp. Started boat all alarms going off,lights flashing.
Made it to the ramp got help at dock. Someone went to back my trunk in.Boat wouldn't start,tried trolling motor nada. Look down and trolling motor top was blown off.
Lightning hit my buddy's fishing rod traveled down his body out his shoe and then traveled up the power cable just under me to the trolling motor. My buddy died instantly
and 10k in damage to the boat.Took a long time to get over that.Still not 100% over it.

That's horrible thing to go through, so sorry for the loss of your friend. Something that you can never get over.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: 521Rangerman] #12843168 07/26/18 09:54 PM
Kay Dyson Offline OP
HOT Mess!!!
OP Offline
HOT Mess!!!
Dayummmmm, prayers Tony.
You young guys listen to these stories and learn, take it to the ramp, live to fish another day..

Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: 521Rangerman] #12843184 07/26/18 10:05 PM
TwoLakes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Sorry about those that have lost friends/family to lightning. The stories should make us all reconsider being on the lake during storms.

I was fishing all the way in the back of smith creek on Monti two years ago. I was catching them good that evening as it was starting to get dark. I was facing northeast throwing top water and chatterbaits and noticed a flash of light coming from behind me. I turned around and sure enough there was a storm approaching from the west. I looked at my phone and knew I needed to get out of there quick. Unfortunately, I had to idle all the way out under the railroad bridge and to the power lines before I could get on plane.

I flew to the ramp as quick as I could get there, parked the boat at the pier and ran up to get my truck. The wind hit hard at the same time and big drops of rain started falling. By the time I got the truck backed down the ramp, it was coming down in buckets.

I jumped out and ran to the boat, got it loaded on the trailer and jumped in the truck soaking wet. Pulled under the light and figured "what the heck, I'm already soaked so I'll strap the boat down and head out". As I was attaching the motor mate to the jack plate, the lightning hit somewhere close enough to shock my hand resting on the jack plate. I was looking down at the time and all I saw was the bright light and heard the loud clap of thunder.

When I got back in the truck I was shaking and thinking I won't do that again. shocked

Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12843229 07/26/18 10:34 PM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I am sorry that a lot of these stories have to be relived, but bad weather on any lake....everyone must heed the slightest of warnings and get the heck out of harm's way. Tony, that was such a terrible experience, as well as all the other stories. Please be smart and understand that Mother Nature's storms are nothing to be taking a chance on. No matter what! God Bless.....

๐Ÿ˜Ž Dallas Cowboys....eventual Superbowl Champions ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12843332 07/26/18 11:53 PM
Chris B Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I hope none of us ever have to experience what you did Tony. I can't imagine.

[Linked Image]
I hate photobucket.
Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: Kay Dyson] #12843353 07/27/18 12:11 AM
H
hunter1st Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
I cannot attest to this being fact, but my dad is a retired lineman in Arkansas (AP&L/Entergy). He saw a lot of lightning and lightning damage.

His comments to me were, if caught on the water in a storm, find a bridge, or overhead power line, anything overhead that is not attached around you, and wait it out.

PS, I haven't tried it, I get off the water. I had a friend struck and killed @1982 about a quarter mile from my house.

hunter1st
Re: The dark side of a lake and Mother Nature... [Re: 521Rangerman] #12843495 07/27/18 02:11 AM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
Originally Posted By: 521Rangerman

People don't ever get over something that horrific. I suppose you just learn to live with it. I am so sorry buddy.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide