Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Fishing a boat lane [Re: basscaster46] #12745571 05/06/18 11:54 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Originally Posted By: basscaster46
Although you think it is your right to run these lanes if you screw up and hit someone fishing life for you will change. Boat lanes are not the same as a highway . This is why people have such hate for bass fishermen.
J D stir

Yeah, sure it is. There are just as many rude anglers and boaters that fish for other species too.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Fishing a boat lane [Re: Fishspanker] #12745579 05/07/18 12:00 AM
F
Fishspanker Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
F
It was never a situation where I would hit him. He was on the west bound side and I was on the eastbound side. Probably 75 feet or more between us.

The Sheep who only fears the Wolf is eaten by the Shepherd.
Re: Fishing a boat lane [Re: Fishspanker] #12745585 05/07/18 12:05 AM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
I don't fish the boat lanes much, but when I do I do it pantless juggle

Re: Fishing a boat lane [Re: Fishspanker] #12745752 05/07/18 02:30 AM
R
Razorback Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
R
Making people slow down to go around you in a narrow lane is a good way to cause a boat wreck. The north end of Pines is a good example.

It's just incredibly selfish to sit right in the middle of a marked boat lane to fish.

Re: Fishing a boat lane [Re: Fishspanker] #12746024 05/07/18 01:27 PM
H
Hog Jaw Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
H
When I fished with my Dad he always Idled by a fellow fisherman , I do the same , There is no way I’m going to be in that much of a hurry to jeopardize my safety or his .

Re: Fishing a boat lane [Re: Fishspanker] #12746137 05/07/18 03:06 PM
D
daddystog Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
If your thinking of this from a safety stand point then the solution would be to prohibit fishing or anchoring in a marked boat lane, place speed limits on lakes like Fork and start issuing tickets for people that run on the wrong side of the buoys or pass another boat at 75 mph while going under the 515 bridge
But a little common sense and courtesy would be a lot better
I like to fish boat ramps and docks but I don't except everyone else to not use it because I'm fishing it

Re: Fishing a boat lane [Re: Fishspanker] #12746170 05/07/18 03:30 PM
F
Fishn_man Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
As long as you pass at a safe distance I don't see an issue with going by at speed. I fish spots that are tight to the boat lanes, but you have to accept that people are traveling the "highway" as was implied earlier.

What is not acceptable in my opinion is this.
I went into a VERY small pocket Saturday while fishing a tournament. There was a guy fishing for crappie in the very back of that pocket so I fished about 75% of the way back and cut to the other side. The guy looked me and said "Thank You". I said for what?? He said some guy came through an hour before me and basically ran him over and said he was fishing a tournament and had priority because of that.

That is BS. Just because we are fishing a tournament does not give us priority to anything. That is what gives Bass fisherman a bad name.

Last edited by Fishn_man; 05/07/18 03:31 PM.
Re: Fishing a boat lane [Re: Razorback] #12746254 05/07/18 04:42 PM
S
Shallow Waters Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted By: Razorback
Making people slow down to go around you in a narrow lane is a good way to cause a boat wreck. The north end of Pines is a good example.

It's just incredibly selfish to sit right in the middle of a marked boat lane to fish.

I fish in the boat lanes on Pines all the time, especially up north. Its not my fault someone decided to "mark" a lane that follows the creek channel. I also have no expectations of other boats, come by on plane, come by idling, just dont hit me and i dont care. In return I will do the same to any other boat in the lanes.

Far too many people complain about this situation. Some say there is more lake to fish in so stay out of the lane. others say there is more lake to run your boat in so stay away from my fishing spot. I ten to lean towards first come first serve, if they were fishing that spot before I got there then I will do whatever is necessary to make sure I dont interrupt that.

Re: Fishing a boat lane [Re: Fishspanker] #12746340 05/07/18 05:37 PM
R
Razorback Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
R
Yes, there is more lake to run a boat in, but it is full of stumps and other hazards. It's dangerous to run there, both to equipment and people. That's why they run in the marked lane.

Re: Fishing a boat lane [Re: Shallow Waters] #12746344 05/07/18 05:41 PM
04champ Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Shallow Waters

I fish in the boat lanes on Pines all the time, especially up north. Its not my fault someone decided to "mark" a lane that follows the creek channel. I also have no expectations of other boats, come by on plane, come by idling, just dont hit me and i dont care. In return I will do the same to any other boat in the lanes.

Far too many people complain about this situation. Some say there is more lake to fish in so stay out of the lane. others say there is more lake to run your boat in so stay away from my fishing spot. I ten to lean towards first come first serve, if they were fishing that spot before I got there then I will do whatever is necessary to make sure I dont interrupt that.

This. Pass me as fast as you can. I am well aware of when boats are approaching and move to one side of the boat lane.

Re: Fishing a boat lane [Re: Mark Perry] #12746345 05/07/18 05:42 PM
John175☮ Online Happy
MACHO MAN
Online Happy
MACHO MAN
Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
Originally Posted By: basscaster46
Although you think it is your right to run these lanes if you screw up and hit someone fishing life for you will change. Boat lanes are not the same as a highway . This is why people have such hate for bass fishermen.
J D stir

Yeah, sure it is. There are just as many rude anglers and boaters that fish for other species too.
dont get me going about crappie boats coming up right on top of the brushpile you're fishing and dropping a minnow or the kayak that cuts between you and the shoreline you're fishing right over what you were targeting. I was on Ray Bob and one kayak would throw an extra line out to block you from going around him. After the second time he did it to block me I asked him to reel it in or my trolling motor would.

“Do not pray for easier lives. Pray to be stronger men.†-JFK
Re: Fishing a boat lane [Re: Razorback] #12746367 05/07/18 05:59 PM
S
Shallow Waters Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Yes, there is more lake to run a boat in, but it is full of stumps and other hazards. It's dangerous to run there, both to equipment and people. That's why they run in the marked lane.

So I can assume you never take your boat out the boat lanes until it is on the trailer. Or are you just selective of when you decided to get outside of the lanes?

Re: Fishing a boat lane [Re: Shallow Waters] #12746452 05/07/18 07:03 PM
T
Txduckhunter Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: Shallow Waters

So I can assume you never take your boat out the boat lanes until it is on the trailer. Or are you just selective of when you decided to get outside of the lanes?

Of course he takes it out of the lanes and , yes, he is selective of where. Aren't we all?

Re: Fishing a boat lane [Re: Fishspanker] #12746454 05/07/18 07:06 PM
B
brewski Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Razorback a boat lane is just an area that someone has cleared to make it easier for use fisherman to get around the lake. It is not permission for you to blow by someone in a manner that is unsafe just because you are in a hurry. If they are there fishing before you come by you had better slow down because if you hit the fisherman you will be liable for damage and injury that you will have caused. Pls be courteous out on the water. A boat lane does not give you permission to run over someone who was already there fishing just because they were in a boat lane. I always slow down for the crappie fisherman under the 155 bridge on the pines because that is the right thing to do. It takes maybe an extra couple seconds to be courteous to another fisherman and idle past them then get back on plane.

Re: Fishing a boat lane [Re: daddystog] #12746517 05/07/18 07:50 PM
R
Rog Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Originally Posted By: daddystog
If your thinking of this from a safety stand point then the solution would be to prohibit fishing or anchoring in a marked boat lane, place speed limits on lakes like Fork and start issuing tickets for people that run on the wrong side of the buoys or pass another boat at 75 mph while going under the 515 bridge
But a little common sense and courtesy would be a lot better
I like to fish boat ramps and docks but I don't except everyone else to not use it because I'm fishing it

Rules/laws already in place to cover all your points. Follow them and all will be fine. You are responsible for your wake. Like others have said, you run over or hurt someone fishing in or near a boat lane you are copable. Also the marker bouys are not a center stripe so follow the right of way rules/laws regardless.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide