Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: legal fish or not? [Re: beartrap] #12735659 04/29/18 08:55 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Man....when I break em off.....I never see em again. Darn stumps.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: legal fish or not? [Re: beartrap] #12736118 04/30/18 05:22 AM
F
FXfromTx Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
I want to say that I saw a pro on TV one time grab a fish after it threw the hook right next to the boat. He grabbed it and dropped it straight into the livewell. The question here is would this be okay with a net? I am not sure, but in my mind netting a fish vs. grabbing it is same same, either both allowed or both prohibited. If however, you can get ahold of the line and drag it in I believe there is no doubt it is a legal fish. In the end, best bet is to call TD right there and ask.

"The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad."
Re: legal fish or not? [Re: beartrap] #12736659 04/30/18 04:59 PM
S
Scoundrel Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
S
Not in a tourney but had an occasion where both of us threw close to same spot and 3 lber grabbed one brush hog and then the other immediately. Both of us set the hook and reeled the fish in with both hooks in the mouth. If it was individual tourney with boater and nonboater do you both get it or split the weight? bolt

Re: legal fish or not? [Re: beartrap] #12739873 05/02/18 05:00 PM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
Originally Posted By: beartrap
several years ago on another forum there was a hellacious debate over a fish being legal to weigh in or not...
the situation was a guy was fishing a jig and hung a big bass in or near a brushpile....fish wrapped him up in the brushpile and guy spent several minutes trying to dislodge the fish from the brushpile and finally gave up and broke his line...
he is sitting down on front deck re-tying when the fish swims to the surface next to the boat and guy grabs his net and scoops him up still with his jig in his mouth...as I recall his story,he didn't know whether he could weigh the fish in or not and his partner convinced him they couldn't so he took his jig out of the fish's mouth and turned the fish loose.....
what's your thoughts? legal fish or not?
(wish I knew how to do one of those polls where you vote)...

If he knew it was the fish he broke off earlier and could pass the polygraph then I would say Yes.

Re: legal fish or not? [Re: Jarrett Latta] #12739890 05/02/18 05:09 PM
Barrett Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
If it's your jig, certainly legal. I broke one off in the pads about 9am on braid in a Basschamps. Came back about 2pm to fish the area and the trolling motor got hung up on something. I pulled it up to find the braid wrapped up in the TM. I unwrapped the braid and decided to go get my hook back from earlier. I broke off a full cast, appx 50ft of braid. As I got to the end where it was wrapped up in the pads I realized there was a 5lber still on the end. Partner grabbed the net and scooped her up. Culled up 3lbs and got a good check. I see no issue when guys do this as long as it actually was theirs. Ethically there's no issue in my opinion

I had something very similiar one time happen in a bass tournament on ray roberts. I was fishing a deep spot thats heavy timber. Had a big one on for about 15 minutes before I had to break finally break him up. About 30 seconds later here comes the fish (7 pounder) floating up with my hook in its mouth because it needed to be fizzed. I netted the fish. Got my hook back... fizzed him and let him go. Their was zero question in my mind to put that fish in the livewell.

Re: legal fish or not? [Re: beartrap] #12739892 05/02/18 05:10 PM
9094 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: 5Redman8
Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
If you break off while reeling it in and see the line and then grab it and handline it in 99% would call that legal. What changes it if you leave that spot and come back a couple of hours later and have the same situation as Jaret? Why would his fish not be legal if he can verify his line, his bait? Either way its handlined in and should be legal.

Just saying I would not feel right and I wouldnt weigh it.

What if you have broken off in practice....same line and lure....break off during tourney....then snag a line. It is your line and lure. I wouldnt feel right catching a fish that way.

Not saying that am right...but I couldnt pass a lie detector in either case.

what about you hooking a fish and it jumps right beside the boat,the hook comes out but your partner catches it in the net..... since you were disconnected from the fish....would you count the fish?

Been there. Netting a fish that has been fought to the boat and it throws the hook as it is netted is a legal fish. Netted while in the act of retrieving the fish.

Last edited by 9094; 05/02/18 05:10 PM.
Re: legal fish or not? [Re: beartrap] #12739895 05/02/18 05:11 PM
Barrett Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
IMHO there is nothing morally,ethically or logically wrong with weighing in a fish a fish that you hooked whether the fish broke off and surfaced by the boat or he fell off the hook as you netted him..MAIN THING TO FOCUS ON IS THAT YOU ENTICED THAT FISH TO BITE AND YOU LANDED THE FISH......it isn't like this happens every tournament,99% of the time you are not going to catch that fish that broke the line and only once or twice in a career are you gonna get that lucky.....

I respectfully disagree.

Re: legal fish or not? [Re: Ken A.] #12739897 05/02/18 05:12 PM
D
David Burton Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
D
Originally Posted By: Ken A.
several years ago on another forum there was a hellacious debate over a fish being legal to weigh in or not...
the situation was a guy was fishing a jig and hung a big bass in or near a brushpile....fish wrapped him up in the brushpile and guy spent several minutes trying to dislodge the fish from the brushpile and finally gave up and broke his line...
he is sitting down on front deck re-tying when the fish swims to the surface next to the boat and guy grabs his net and scoops him up still with his jig in his mouth...as I recall his story,he didn't know whether he could weigh the fish in or not and his partner convinced him they couldn't so he took his jig out of the fish's mouth and turned the fish loose.....
what's your thoughts? legal fish or not?
(wish I knew how to do one of those polls where you vote)...

If he knew it was the fish he broke off earlier and could pass the polygraph then I would say Yes.

One caveat is related to the rules requiring you to complete a cast and retrieval before another line can be used. The break-off completes the cast/retrieval. If it is immediately brought in without making another cast, maybe... However, I think in the example it was sometime later, would that essentially be the same as having two lines in the water if you claim said fish?

David Burton
2015 Skeeter FX 21 +Ultrex +Helix 12 (x3) +Mega360 +MegaLive
Re: legal fish or not? [Re: beartrap] #12739910 05/02/18 05:18 PM
HARD WORKN HAROLD Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Scoundrel, I got that beat!!I speared a wave one time at Fork, darn near knocked me out. When I finally realized what happened, my boat was full of bass. There were two pounders every where. I wasn't in a tournament, darn it. eeks

DON'T LET THE CLOTHES FOOL YA
Life is too short to fish with a dead cricket!
PB: wife of 40 years
Re: legal fish or not? [Re: David Burton] #12739943 05/02/18 05:33 PM
5Redman8 Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: David Burton

One caveat is related to the rules requiring you to complete a cast and retrieval before another line can be used. The break-off completes the cast/retrieval. If it is immediately brought in without making another cast, maybe... However, I think in the example it was sometime later, would that essentially be the same as having two lines in the water if you claim said fish?

This is my thinking as well.....I could not pass a polygraph if I made a cast between breaking off and landing the fish.

Re: legal fish or not? [Re: beartrap] #12739976 05/02/18 05:51 PM
C
Chris G Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
C
There has to be at least 50 Tournament Directors that visit this board....why no response from any of them? I'd love to hear what a decent size trail would do in this situation. I know if this had happened to me in a tournament I would simply call the TD to get a ruling before doing anything.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: legal fish or not? [Re: beartrap] #12740045 05/02/18 06:46 PM
Bissett Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I would put her in the box. I would also probably ask the TD just to clear my conscience.

What if your lure flies out of the fishes mouth during a jump and you get the net under her? Same type of deal

Re: legal fish or not? [Re: Bissett] #12740083 05/02/18 07:06 PM
5Redman8 Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: Bissett
I would put her in the box. I would also probably ask the TD just to clear my conscience.

What if your lure flies out of the fishes mouth during a jump and you get the net under her? Same type of deal

Completely different. Spitting the hook and catching it in the net is in the act of completing the cast. Have it float up after....to me you have already ended that cast.

Re: legal fish or not? [Re: 5Redman8] #12740093 05/02/18 07:17 PM
Barrett Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: 5Redman8
Originally Posted By: Bissett

Completely different. Spitting the hook and catching it in the net is in the act of completing the cast. Have it float up after....to me you have already ended that cast.

Thats how I see it as well

Re: legal fish or not? [Re: HARD WORKN HAROLD] #12740103 05/02/18 07:29 PM
OzzieFish Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Come on now...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide