Forums59
Topics1,039,326
Posts13,962,875
Members144,199
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: What is meant by the "back of a creek" and when do you fish those? [Re: Heron] #12702236 04/04/18 03:19 AM
C
crankn101 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
If im not jumping logs im not back in far enough.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: What is meant by the "back of a creek" and when do you fish those? [Re: Donald Harper] #12702252 04/04/18 03:29 AM
J
jfhenry1985 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
Originally Posted By: Ken A.
Many creeks and rivers wind around for miles through the country side. Many of these are very shallow at the mouth where the cove narrows down into just the creek or river channel. As you go farther back you are looking for two physical things to happen.
- Hopefully the creek will get deeper as you get past the silted in section at it's mouth. The creek may play out to real skinny water then once a half mile or so into the creek it will begin to get deeper.
- Hopefully the water will begin to clear up the farther back you go.
I usually start fishing when the water depth in the middle of the creek or river gets to 10 ft. deep. Work the creek as far back as you can go; looking for those two physical things to take place. Getting back to the heavily wooded tree lined banks is the key. Target the lay-downs off the banks once you get into the wooded area of the creek. This is where the banks are lined with trees. Lay-downs form wind blowing them over and beaver doing some cutting will provide the fish with ambush spots that are a little off the bank. Running form one to the next will tell you really quick if the fish are back there. I like to run a small 1/4 oz spinner bait down all sides of the lay-downs then work the tree tops with a 5" Black/Blue Flake with Blue Tail Lizard; using a 1/4 oz. Trig..

Good points Donald. I think those fish that far back are resident fish too. I believe those fish are born, live & die in that same small stretch of creek.

What do you think?

They are resident fish. They have everything they need back there. Their down fall is a couple of years of drought. Another point to make here is find access way up the rivers and creeks. Put in up there and work back out toward the mouth of the creek. I use to have a smaller boat just for those adventures and learned to fish where no one else would go, which would be several miles off the lake and many times untouched waters.

Do you just find a spot where you can put in off the road or an actual launch?

Re: What is meant by the "back of a creek" and when do you fish those? [Re: Flooringit] #12702266 04/04/18 03:37 AM
D
David Burton Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
D
Originally Posted By: Flooringit
Is birch where the last bouy is at the power line? I have went back and some past but it seems to go way back and nothing but trees. I thought maybe there were Lillys way back there but I didnt try cause its like trying to got through a rugged obstacle course

From the mouth of the creek where the boat lane splits from Lake Fork Creek to the back is all Birch. There are a ton of feeder creeks and pockets back there, but if you run under the power lines to the right heading back, you can cross at the 3rd dock to the other bank. Then idle along the east bank to the second broad point, and that is where the pad field was before the floods in 2015; there is much timber up there, yes. I haven't been up that far in a while, I started stopping and fishing the hydrilla and coontail beds, but haven't really had much luck up there lately. So it is time to change things up!

David Burton
2015 Skeeter FX 21 +Ultrex +Helix 12 (x3) +Mega360 +MegaLive
Re: What is meant by the "back of a creek" and when do you fish those? [Re: jfhenry1985] #12702608 04/04/18 02:21 PM
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: jfhenry1985
Originally Posted By: Ken A.
Many creeks and rivers wind around for miles through the country side. Many of these are very shallow at the mouth where the cove narrows down into just the creek or river channel. As you go farther back you are looking for two physical things to happen.
- Hopefully the creek will get deeper as you get past the silted in section at it's mouth. The creek may play out to real skinny water then once a half mile or so into the creek it will begin to get deeper.
- Hopefully the water will begin to clear up the farther back you go.
I usually start fishing when the water depth in the middle of the creek or river gets to 10 ft. deep. Work the creek as far back as you can go; looking for those two physical things to take place. Getting back to the heavily wooded tree lined banks is the key. Target the lay-downs off the banks once you get into the wooded area of the creek. This is where the banks are lined with trees. Lay-downs form wind blowing them over and beaver doing some cutting will provide the fish with ambush spots that are a little off the bank. Running form one to the next will tell you really quick if the fish are back there. I like to run a small 1/4 oz spinner bait down all sides of the lay-downs then work the tree tops with a 5" Black/Blue Flake with Blue Tail Lizard; using a 1/4 oz. Trig..

Good points Donald. I think those fish that far back are resident fish too. I believe those fish are born, live & die in that same small stretch of creek.

What do you think?

They are resident fish. They have everything they need back there. Their down fall is a couple of years of drought. Another point to make here is find access way up the rivers and creeks. Put in up there and work back out toward the mouth of the creek. I use to have a smaller boat just for those adventures and learned to fish where no one else would go, which would be several miles off the lake and many times untouched waters.

Do you just find a spot where you can put in off the road or an actual launch?

I uses the satellite views to find roads that cross the creeks and river for these access spots. Some are well used and you can put in off a gravel area, some have ramps; but most require a two man boat that a couple of guys can handle through some rough shoreline areas to get to the water. It is not easy by no means. Some times a power line work road will get you to the water when the area is dry enough to drive in. I have drug an alum. 12 ft. boat many a mile across fields and through the woods to get to these creeks that no one else will do. Once you find the fish in that creek or river and you want to be able to use it during a tournament then you will have to do your home work to learn the route into it from the lake side, as many tourns. will not let you trailer. Just put your smaller boat in at the closest ramp to the mouth of the creek and learn the access route form the lake side to your best spots that you have found form your practice days of fishing from the other direction way up the river.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: What is meant by the "back of a creek" and when do you fish those? [Re: Heron] #12741677 05/03/18 05:30 PM
B
BThomas Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Good info

Re: What is meant by the "back of a creek" and when do you fish those? [Re: Heron] #12741798 05/03/18 06:38 PM
Bissett Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
for me it's about as far back as you can get your boat. I spend a lot of time in the backs around this time of year and definitely in the fall

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide